test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter Maintenance 7/23 at 7am PDT

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
edited July 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Update 8:24am PDT: Maintenance has completed early!

We're having our scheduled maintenance tomorrow 7/23 at 7am PDT for roughly 2 hours.

Patch notes can be viewed here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9469863

*puts up flame shield*

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Post edited by strumslinger on

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Oh good lord, that's *it* for people with desk jobs.

I've never even used a browser script. All by hand.

Edit: Again and again, you (the royal you) punish legit players in the name of combating bots. I don't even know what to say anymore.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    Whoah, that's a heavy change disallowing leadership from gateway.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Oh wow, no more leadership from the gateway? I hope you all have a sturdy flameproof bunker.
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Doesn't really bother me too much, as I can never get professions to work from Gateway anyway. As soon as I claim something on it, it freezes for me. And will not let me restart anything.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    *Provides strum with a nuclear bunker* Good job on the leadership side.
  • Options
    martelis1981martelis1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2015

Edit: Again and again, you (the royal you) punish legit players in the name of combating bots. I don't even know what to say anymore.

Agree with that. kudos, Criptyc good job. keep pushing away the legit players until everyone leaves. If mode 6 was not enough with that. If you don't want that this game keep being a f2p, SAY IT DIRECTLY, you are constantly closing all the sources that free players can get some income.
    Post edited by martelis1981 on
  • Options
    relkindxrelkindx Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    What else is the gateway for other than Leadership? Maybe you want to think about this a bit more. I suspect this will be a pretty big deal.
  • Options
    balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    If you do this to gateway then it will definitely hurt the working people more than the bots, not everyone can be in the game when the task is complete, so gateway was a great way to get as much done as possible, with the added time to all the main tasks. Now you want to keep us from doing more than 1 task a day? Is this to stop the bots, or lower our AD production? Why not just do away with leadership altogether? Amounts to almost the same thing for a lot of hard working people.
  • Options
    rawlor9krawlor9k Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Just when you think they've done all they can do to drive you away from the game, they do this. How foolish.

The thing that really brought me to this game was the gateway. I could keep up with things to some degree without having to be logged into a client. With this change all that is now gone.

Oh well. I guess I'll have a hell of a lot more time every day without doing leadership or playing neverwinter hardly at all.
  • Options
    fenrir4lifefenrir4life Member Posts: 295 Arc User
    ... You couldn't have just integrated a Capcha in the Gateway?
    Please consider that as a long-term solution.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    @strumslinger, poor guy, you're going to need full fire-fighting gear, that flame shield is not going to be nearly enough. Apologies in advance for any slams to the messenger. I do not envy your job :smile:

I cannot for the life of me figure out why all the "anti-bot measures" implemented are ones that directly hit honest people trying to legitimately play the game. I mean, there have been many good suggestions regarding ways to stop the bots - I would think just monitoring PE chat zones, even just filtering for the words "auction tax" and "fast speedy delivery" would grab most of the accounts in a matter of minutes.

Agree with @beckylunatic, there are just no words. :confused:
  • Options
    donsolo96donsolo96 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    I would think just monitoring PE chat zones, even just filtering for the words "auction tax" and "fast speedy delivery" would grab most of the accounts in a matter of minutes.

I have been playing this game for nearly two years and they have NEVER made the slightest effort to use the chat zone data to hunt down the botters. Not once! And it is BY FAR the most obvious attack point. Instead, they make stupid decisions like this one.

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User

I cannot for the life of me figure out why all the "anti-bot measures" implemented are ones that directly hit honest people trying to legitimately play the game.

Yea, its a bit like emptying and closing a bank, so it wont get robbed. It might solved the problem, but it does so in a way the removes the entire reason for its initial existence.
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I expect a lot more people leaving the game if they can't access Leadership from Gateway... and they will NOT be botters.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    carlonomocarlonomo Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    you couldn't just put in a random captcha? GMAFB this is really dumb. I don't really care either way since I don't use the gateway ever but wow... really not a very smart solution at all
  • Options
    misharonamisharona Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    Proof that you don't need a basic economics degree to be a software coder. This is worse than a bad decision...
  • Options
    truckulatruckula Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    You could never invoke from gateway. You could do an SCA to refresh charge on coins but thats it.
    ddfuv.jpg
    Click banner for the Dragon Dogs Family guild page.
  • Options
    jugger71jugger71 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 252 Arc User
    One can begin to presume Cryptic actually prefers bot accounts over legit accounts...
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    carlonomo wrote: »
    you couldn't just put in a random captcha? GMAFB this is really dumb. I don't really care either way since I don't use the gateway ever but wow... really not a very smart solution at all

I don't believe that putting in a captcha will work at all with the issue at hand.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    ireneadl3rireneadl3r Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    I'd imagine people must be using some real fancy (and very detectable) stuff to bot gateway leadership, because finishing and starting tasks has always been tedious with me, not to mention the gateway randomly hanging up or disconnecting me. But then again, I don't know coding and programming, I'm just a casual, formerly paying player who is being punished because Cryptic fights burglars by putting up traps all over the house instead of installing an alarm system.
  • Options
    I feel that the better choice on how to combat botters... is by asking the player base what to do.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Another failed attempt to combat the bots. This will do NOTHING to stop them. It's like you spin a wheel with random stupid options on and pick the one where it stops. I have lost all faith in this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> company now. You have moved ever closer to killing your own game. Idiots. Meaningless fixes when the game is plagued by so many worse things that haven't been fixed for 2 years. Well done Cryptic, well done.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    I do not think that anyone is looking to shoot the messenger... they wont waste their time. Instead they will delete the game from their computer and making a clean break.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Interesting.
    The gateway change doesn't bother me personally overmuch because I work from home most of the time and when I'm not at home, I'm with a client and I don't have time to mess around on the gateway anyway. That's life and I can live with the consequences. However, it is a convenience that I will miss, simply because it's faster than doing the same in-game. On the bright side, because I have to collect the rewards in-game my characters will benefit from the bonus XP from their inscribed garmets. Something I always forget and remember after I've set new profession tasks.

On the other hand, as Cryptic's statistics will probably show, a lot of gateway stuff is done from work or mobile devices by legit users. Granted, it's only leadership, which only requires 2-3 times refreshing a day. Most people run 8h, 16h or 1d tasks anyway. So players could time their tasks in such a way that it doesn't have to be a huge inconvenience in general. They can collect the results when they get home.

I have to add that this is another anti-bot measure that shouldn't be required if Cryptic would put in the effort and manpower to fight bots like a normal game publisher would. However, I can't deny that bot operators won't like this any more than players do. Personally I would prefer if AD generation was done by playing the game only and not through professions at all, but that's beside the point. The only question is, what is Cryptic's priority here and why?

I'm very curious what's going to be in that special blog tomorrow. But regardless of my own opinion or the explanation given in the blog, people will not be happy about this.

I'm curious about this blog as well, and trying to reserve my opinion until it's posted. I do use the Gateway to do my professions (mainly leadership), mostly out of habit from when there was a delay in tasks finishing in the game, but I don't think switching back to doing it in the game is going to upset my gameplay too much. I only do leadership once a day regardless anyway.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    jugger71jugger71 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 252 Arc User
    Perhaps the traffic on Gateway is too high? With this change I will have absolutely no use for Gateway at all.
  • Options
    tatersalad77tatersalad77 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Well. I guess you have finally given me and probably many many other players the final reason to find another game. The only profession I do was leadership so I could have a little ad for when I finally get an opportunity to play. Once you remove it from the gateway I will have no income to do anything with as the gateway is the only way I have time for to do professions. I usually log on from the crapper with my cell phone at work. Although, one amusing thing will come of this. Not only have you again hit legit players in your quest to put yourselves out of business. No one has any real reason to buy a char slots anymore for this game.
    Cheers
  • Options
    chrisred9999chrisred9999 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    You must find another way to deal with this problem. You can't remove the Leadership from Gateway, because we don't always are where the game client is installed and some tasks require from us to be there for the results from 2 to 16 hours (generally speaking). Now start considering that most of us have 2,3 or more characters each one with different timings on Leadership, we can't launch the game client every time we want to collect results from finished Leadership Tasks. You must find another solution please.
    Post edited by chrisred9999 on