test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does the Cockatrice Active Bonus work in PVE ?

qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
edited June 2015 in PvE Discussion
The title says it all. I'm looking to add another companion to my stable for PVE use, I have absolutely no interest in PVP. The Active Bonus for the Cockatrice looks really useful but posts elsewhere on the forums suggest it is broken or just plain doesn't work in PVE. Can someone who owns one of these pets please confirm if it is WAI or broken in PVE. Thanks
Post edited by zebular on

Best Answers

• rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    It does work. I have seen it work for my DC in the Dread Ring lairs.
    Answer ✓
    It does work in PvE. I have seen, with my cleric, without me hitting them and being damaged by them, the Thayan Knight and the Dread Servitors in The Phantasmal Fortress be frozen in place. Now granted the Ioun Stone does slow them, sometimes, but only the cockatrice could freeze them, other than me using chains of blazing light, which I had not been using, only sacred flame and daunting light.
  • kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    It doesn't work in PVE. It was stated a long time ago and nothing changed.
    Shame I learned that fter I bought mine little chicken thingy...
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • graalx3graalx3 Member Posts: 232
    Answer ✓
    Yes the Cockatrice's Active Companion Bonus does work in PvE. The problem is that the FX for the root effect does not appear on most of the monsters in game (apparently just the ones we tested the effect on). Without the FX and only a 10% chance to apply this makes it extremely difficult for y'all to tell that its working.

I have sent the issue to the FX team and they are working on a fix.

Answers

• qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    So I take it noone around here has a Cockatrice ?
  • chocobolochocobolo Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I have not tested it myself, but I am just straight going to say, given PETS BONUSES DONT WORK IN PVP it only makes sense, that, yes, cockatrice does indeed work in PvE.

Now, inner cooldown and effectiveness is a whole other issue.
    chocobolo wrote: »
    I have not tested it myself, but I am just straight going to say, given PETS BONUSES DONT WORK IN PVP it only makes sense, that, yes, cockatrice does indeed work in PvE.
    You don't need to shout. Especially when you are wrong :) Pet bonuses don't work in regular PVP but they apparently do work really well in IWD Open-PVP. The posts on this forum about the Cockatrice focus on how much of a problem players who have one are in Open-PVP play as they can root their opponents without lifting a finger. But as I said, I have no interest in PVP either open world or regular. I just want to know if the bug that has been reported elsewhere on these forums as causing the Cockatrice to not root opponents in PVE has been fixed. If not, then this pet goes off my shopping list. If it has been fixed, then it will probably move to the top of my shopping list.

Many thanks to defiantone99 and rickcase266 for your replies. It seems the jury is still out on how well this pet works in PVE, so I will move it down my shopping list for the time being. Cheers :)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I think very few people use the companion in PvE, but from the sounds of things, it does work, but since it's a root and not a stun/daze/whatever, it doesn't prevent critters from attacking, so it's of little help against ranged attackers and only helpful against melee if you get out of their range.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    as far as i know, no it does not work
  • chocobolochocobolo Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    qexotic wrote: »
    You don't need to shout. Especially when you are wrong

First, thank you for the clarification. Off topic, its not shouting, I was on the way to college and didn't use a highlight or something like it, the fastest thing I could think of was caps.

Now, I have personally been rooted on IWD, by a TR if I remember correctly, I don't main that class but a quick glanse at their skillset does not show me a rooting skill, but again, I may be missing something.

I am talking about mod 4, so I am sorry if it changed with any patch in between, so, in order to contribute to the topic I just wanted to say I can garantee it worked, but I am not 100% sure it still does.
    qexotic wrote: »
    You don't need to shout. Especially when you are wrong

First, thank you for the clarification. Off topic, its not shouting, I was on the way to college and didn't use a highlight or something like it, the fastest thing I could think of was caps.

Now, I have personally been rooted on IWD, by a TR if I remember correctly, I don't main that class but a quick glanse at their skillset does not show me a rooting skill, but again, I may be missing something.

I am talking about mod 4, so I am sorry if it changed with any patch in between, so, in order to contribute to the topic I just wanted to say I can garantee it worked, but I am not 100% sure it still does.
    Not really a problem with the caps thing, that's why I included a smiley :)

It sounds like you can confirm that the Cocakatrice does work in Open World PVP but still no absolute confirmation either way for regular PVE. In the end, I have shelved the idea of picking one up for the time being. I traded some AD for Zen yesterday then took advantage of a 15% discount on companions voucher that came in my first invoking pouch to pick up a Blacksmith for less than one would cost on the AH and got a Lesser Bonding stone thrown in for free as a bonus. So I'm sorted for the time being. I got the Blacksmith to see if his Reflect Damage Active Bonus can help my HR survivability at all. If the bad guys knock their own HP down by hitting on me...it has to help a little bit :)

• qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    I don't think it works, but I was brainstorming what could be done to solve this once and for all and it should be in the log file right?
  • reds351reds351 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I have one have never seen it work in pve this mod.
    Still seems to work in IWD pvp sometimes
  • beatannierbeatannier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited July 2015

Now, inner cooldown and effectiveness is a whole other issue.
    Trolls never sleeps.

Cockatrice doesn`t work on PvE and never used to work.
    However, it is a must-have on PvP as it roots like crazy.
    Also, there is a good manner not to use Cockatrice on duels.
    PS Everybody* have Cockatrice ((Un?)fortunatelly, I got my one a legal way before)
  • beatannierbeatannier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 692 Arc User
    and lasts 0 seconds, please…
    graalx3 wrote: »
    Yes the Cockatrice's Active Companion Bonus does work in PvE. The problem is that the FX for the root effect does not appear on most of the monsters in game (apparently just the ones we tested the effect on). Without the FX and only a 10% chance to apply this makes it extremely difficult for y'all to tell that its working.

I have sent the issue to the FX team and they are working on a fix.
    Thankyou for that information. If possible, please return to this thread to give us an update when the FX team have come up with a fix. It would be much appreciated.

Just out of interest, which monsters in the game does it appear on at present so people can watch out for it while they are playing.

The heck? Did Vanilla eat the dev post? I can't find the original anymore.

Neverwinter Census 2017

The dev post was moved up into the answered part. It is annoying when it does that, as the posts end up out of order.
    Good grief. Thanks. Another thing to dislike about Vanilla.

Neverwinter Census 2017