test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What are we talking about? The OP? Being OP? Playing OP? SNAFU?

doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Would it kill the community to actually add an additional letter to their abbreviations?

OP is like the latest buzz word or catch phrase getting over used.

My OP is awfully OP according to what the OP said in regards to what the OP was saying. I dunno if I cold be OP but that OP really OP suggestions.

translation:

My oathbound paladin is awfully over powered according to what the other person said in regards to what the original poster was saying. I dunno if I could be obsessively playing but that obtuse person really offered poor suggestions.

<Removed>

Thought it would be slightly more clear if people would start using one extra letter when referencing things that can use the same acronym, such as:

OvP = over powered
ObP = oathbound paladin
OtP = other person
OP = original poster

Otherwise enjoy and laugh or not laugh as it suits.

Mod Notice: Do not disrespect, belittle or insult any other nationality, heritage or group of people on the forums or avoid the profanity filter under any circumstances please. Thanks!
Post edited by doriangreigh on

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,355 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    OP, what should the
    obsessively playing,
    obtuse person,
    offered poor
    be?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    plasticbat wrote: »
    OP, what should the
    obsessively playing,
    obtuse person,
    offered poor
    be?

I'm pretty sure I was thinking should be "LOL"

Or as a novel approach actually type out the words you are intending to use when the abbreviation can be used for an existing commonly used abbreviation.

I couldn't help but make this thread because I had read I think 6 - 7 threads and responses that were littered with OP OP OP OP and reading through some of them it was rather difficult if someone was still talking about their paladin or if they were talking about the original poster or the other person being over powered.
  • beatannierbeatannier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    OP=Obviously provocation

Any Smarter lurker see what meaning matches used "OP" abbr. in sentence.
    If I write, ex. that "OP tries to provocate us", everybody knows that the OP means "original poster" because no one other meaning of "OP" abbr. makes sense. EOT.
  • madbovine69madbovine69 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Pssh Quit your OPing (Online Pandering)
    Main - Lokara, Tactical Liberated Borg Lieutenant General
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,492 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    My GF is confused too!
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Would it kill the community to actually add an additional letter to their abbreviations?

Would it kill you to actually spell out your words?

TR
    GF
    DC
    ...etc.

It is *standard fare* to initialize class types. Hence OP is what everyone uses and will likely keep using. Oathbound Paladin is talked about a helluvalot more often then "Over Powered" - which is not a noun to begin with. So if you're so freakin' lazy to write it out then lower-case it as "op".

OP is and always will be Oathbound Paladin, unless context changes it to 'over-powered' as in "The TR is OP". As for "Original Poster that is pretty easy to derive when someone write "the OP" or "to OP" or "@OP&quot;. Because *context* is your friend. Enough with the adolescent whining about our language. The kiddies bastardize it enough as it is.

Rather than complaining about a bad form of written communication and suggesting another bad form of written communication why not just request that people actually practice good forms of communication?