test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you want to migrate to the Vanilla forums?

katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Guys, lets get some numbers/statistics going on the percentage of the player population that does not want to migrate forums.

The vanilla forums are a bad thing.
  • No more Dev Tracker
  • Ugly font and user interface
  • Super slow
  • They are merged with all of the other PWE games, so we won't be able to use New Posts anymore.
  • Much harder to maintain than the current forums, and they can't even get rid of the zero size object errors on the well-documented, on-site forum software. How are they going to properly maintain a 3rd party forum that's far less documented and easy to use?
  • Now we have to be distracted by stupid gifs as avatars, and other stuff.

And a disclaimer, the zero size object errors are because they have server issues/don't know how to configure software right, it's not because of these actual forums. The forum software we use is one of the most reliable forum softwares out there.

Go check it out for yourselves and vote: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#
dulopa4e1d9.png
|| Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    We don't have a choice, the decision appears to already be made.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    azlanfox wrote: »
    We don't have a choice, the decision appears to already be made.

We can try and change their minds!
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No matter what i think, i wont vote simply because ur post and poll is da.n bad and wrong way to make any.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    That new forum is unreadable, I've tried to find stuff there when tried swordmaster, it's ugly, unreadable, messy and worse..
    I have no idea how no one noticed it (of those that upgrading).
    maegmaag wrote: »
    No matter what i think, i wont vote simply because ur post and poll is da.n bad and wrong way to make any.

And yeah, that poll is 'little bit' biased.
    edited June 2015
    Alright, if a mod wants to change the poll options to be a little less biased, go ahead, I may have been a little peeved as I typed it :D
    dulopa4e1d9.png
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It doesn't matter. This thread should just be locked to avoid confusion.

Buckle your seat belts and enjoy the ride...and honestly if this forum was to blow up for a few days (or weeks) it might be good for the game.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited June 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

Buckle your seat belts and enjoy the ride...and honestly if this forum was to blow up for a few days (or weeks) it might be good for the game.

It's really sad that it's probably true.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    edited June 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    • No more Dev Tracker Can be added. they have user groups just like any other forums software.
    • Ugly font and user interface Debatable
    • Super slow agreed. Thank you advertisers
    • They are merged with all of the other PWE games, so we won't be able to use New Posts anymore. We'll live. It's the mods that'll have the hardest time with that.
    • Much harder to maintain than the current forums, and they can't even get rid of the zero size object errors on the well-documented, on-site forum software. How are they going to properly maintain a 3rd party forum that's far less documented and easy to use? Absolute truth. The zero sized object is nothing more or less than a caching issue that can be fixed in 20 seconds if you are able to maintain the software you use. They are fully aware of this, as I've told them so and provided evidence to support my case more times than I can count. By hosting the site out-doors, they couldn't even fix such a problem if they knew how. They'd be depending on Vanilla support, which doesn't have the highest reputation.
    • Now we have to be distracted by stupid gifs as avatars, and other stuff. Mwa, nothing wrong with a little graphic icing on the cake. It may not be your taste, but that makes it debatable, not per se a bad thing.

That said, I doubt this poll will matter, or even live long. Cryptic will do as it pleases, regardless of our opinion. I merely stated the above facts in the migration threat to make sure they can't say they didn't know beforehand that this would bring trouble.

I doubt they have the technical know how to create a dev tracker without it being done for them, again, look at the Zero Size Object error. We've had that for years.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It really doesn't matter what we want, since this is one made of economics basically in the end. So we can kick and scream until the cows come home. I personally hate vanilla forums, and the new ones are so plain looking I don't think I will have much desire to use them.
    edited June 2015
    I didn't mean the current forum admin will make it. I merely pointed out that the Vanilla software has the features required to re-create the dev-tracker, so it could be added if they wish. Who's gonna do it.. that's up to them.

Also, don't forget that it's all PWE games merged together. It wouldn't be so easy, strumslingers the CM for half of them. His posts aren't relevant to every game.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Cryptic will do as it pleases, regardless of our opinion.

Exactimundo.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Vanilla isn't the best choice, but Cryptic will be Cryptic. We forum-goers will adapt.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

no please. the forums are the only thing that is still fun in the game.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Added the I don't mind either way option.

In any case I am not at all familiar with Vanilla Forums. At all. I mean forums have not changed much at all even back from the BBS in the early 90's before the rise of the internet.

The interface has always been the same no matter what. No matter who programmed them or what code was used behind the scenes. The front end GUI always looks the same. Vanilla is the first time I have heard the GUI acts a bit differently other than Reddit (another system I do not care for) and will take some getting used to.

I know that the moderators Swordsman said it was cumbersome and irritating at first but after a while they started to like it more. Hopefully that is how it will go for us.

But who knows. I despise social networking and all this hash tag b---nonsense. I might very well hate using the vanilla forums as much as you all fear because I am very much a person who hates re-inventing the wheel. Forums have existed in this manner for 25 years and to me I don't exactly believe they are anything but perfect. Perhaps Vanilla will prove me wrong. Or perhaps just like when I looked forward to trying Mac I will end up with a desire to take their stupid <several uses of profanity> one button mouse right into Steve Job's office and smash it against his computer until one or preferably both break.

But alas, guys, it is too late to turn back now. Best thing we can do is give it a shot. Try it and give it a month and see if you still feel like using that horrible mouse as a flail in Steve Jobs' office like I did or if, like many changes in life, it is actually for the better.
    edited June 2015
    zero size error now with vanilla flavour
  • vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The migration is not because vanilla is better or worse. Its to consolidate resources. Less servers, less stuff to maintain, less cost. So it'll be arguably a bit less user friendly. But on the plus size, aren't you sick of the "zero size object" error? well, imagine a forum without it :)
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Wait, wait, waaaaaaaaaaiiiittttt....

We can have .gif avatars in the new forums?!?!

HUZZAH!!!

Aside from that, it's gonna happen, so we will have to adapt/evolve with it... *shrugs*
    va8Ru.gif
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    there's a very good reason you're not familiar with them.
    I was more leaning to the fact it's newer than most forums I go to. I have not frequented forums as much since the rise of Social Networking and normally always did for various games and smaller communities, and quite honestly with so many free options I just don't think the majority of forum hosts are willing to look into gambling on Vanilla when there are plenty of either free or past proven systems already out there.

Doesn't mean it's bad. And I am looking forward to never seeing ZSO ever again.

As for the Mac thing, you do know you can still have a right-click feature on that mouse right?

The computer graphics department at my high school was converted into a Mac Lab. It was not a computer I had access to tamper with and change settings. After the conversion I would lose so much time by misclicking due to no left click or just in general get frustrated I would have to keep my left hand on the ctrl button at all times.

Bottom line is there is no reason a mouse should exist without a right click. It should always have a right click. I would argue there shouldn't even be a setting to turn it off let alone turn it on. Quite literally not interested in touching a mac ever again just because two years of my life was gritting my teeth in frustration just because of a horrible mouse design.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Preaching to the choir; it's gonna happen no matter what we think or say. Too many other games from Perfect World are already there. From a business standpoint it only makes sense. And business operations are more important than our opinions. I hate the idea, personally. Vanilla Forums are the worst I've ever used and I've been using forums since the old BBS days.

~sighs~
    edited June 2015
    P.S. ZSO was not always around. We had a forum "upgrade" like 6 months after launch which caused massive headaches for the mods including the ZSO error.

Most of the issues don't effect your guys but it has been very frustrating for us. For instance the button for "Moderation Tools" gets cut off. I actually have to zoom out every single time I want to use any mod tools. ctrl and scroll wheel has become my best friend over the last year and a half.

Other than ZSO and the "Keep Me Signed In" button not working most of the errors the upgrade caused are all on the back end moderation side. And just to get them fixed I'm happy to be going to Vanilla.
    edited June 2015
    It's an error that occurred directly after a VBulletin version upgrade. As far as I know there was not a change of servers. No it is not the fault of VBulletin directly but rather it is something the PWE did while setting up the system but they haven't been able to figure out what.

ZSO is pretty random. It will happen during peak times and will happen during the middle of the night when I am usually on. This leads me to believe it is neither the server nor VBulletin but an issue between the two communicating since the VBulletinsoftware update was the cause.

By throwing out everything except for the post data away it should remove the ZSO issue. Is it a guarantee? No. But I would be surprised of ZSO persists after the transition.
    edited June 2015
    It's an error that occurred directly after a VBulletin version upgrade. As far as I know there was not a change of servers. No it is not the fault of VBulletin directly but rather it is something the PWE did while setting up the system but they haven't been able to figure out what.

ZSO is pretty random. It will happen during peak times and will happen during the middle of the night when I am usually on. This leads me to believe it is neither the server nor VBulletin but an issue between the two communicating since the VBulletinsoftware update was the cause.

By throwing out everything except for the post data away it should remove the ZSO issue. Is it a guarantee? No. But I would be surprised of ZSO persists after the transition.

i am willing to bet one of those shiny white pearls that drop from HEs that it will persist.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    All those issues presented to "justify" a no are all cosmetic issues at worst. I find this to be quite premature and well redundant. In any case, the change is happening and I personally feel it is for the better.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    All those issues presented to "justify" a no are all cosmetic issues at worst. I find this to be quite premature and well redundant. In any case, the change is happening and I personally feel it is for the better.

The forum looks bland and the style and usability can and will impact traffic. I don't personally care for vanilla forums, they aren't that intuitive. And mashing all games up in one place loses that games identity, especially when the connection between players and developers are so tenuous as is.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    well vanilla indeed sucks
    no dev tracker, no check new posts and its not nice to see too...
    i dont know if i will be there..it just seems to have 0 confort
    edited June 2015
    If PVErs and PVPers are agreeing on something, I think that shows how much it matters! Abandon the migration!
    dulopa4e1d9.png
  • alisi1alisi1 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ok I went to check it out and honestly it does suck. Just my personal opinion though.
    edited June 2015
    The question is, and will remain, does it suck because we are not used to it?

Which is the problem. As I said before I despise Social Networking and all the "organisation" changes they created. I despise this whole hash tag movement completely. To me it is akin to having libraries change away from the Dewey Decimal system. It's worked forever as an organisation system and I don't think I will ever like having a computer system judge what I might be interested in or not over having category control...

However the people who feel that way have said that they actually go as far to saying they liked Vanilla more after a month. So...who knows. I don't. Does it make me nervous? Of course! I just don't see a reason to get up in arms about fears that are just based on doing something new and different.

As for the dev tracker, seriously not an issue. Just because it isn't there doesn't mean it can't be added. Most of the knee jerk it sucks reactions are very much able to be fixed and even the people within this thread who don't want to go to Vanilla have said that. ;)
  • UndefinedUndefined Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    I hate this
    What's with people who put their Ilvl in their Signatures? They probably have a big gold chain and saggy pants too.
  • lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    This forum appearance looks like it's on a corpse run.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............