test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Giant Strider Mounts

rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Player Feedback (PC)
I'm going to go out on a limb here and let everyone know exactly what I think of this development.

Introducing rank 4 mounts? Acceptable. Making rank 4 mounts ONLY available in lockboxes? Unacceptable.

There is a HUGE difference between offering things that are just visuals (Metallic Dragonborn, old Legendary mounts) and offering things that are SIGNIFICANT advantages in lockboxes. This is NOT okay to do to your customer base.

If you're going to offer a rank 4 of mounts that grants 4000 movement speed and 140% speed? AND can be used in combat? You need to make it available to upgrade our own mounts to that level. EVEN if it ends up costing a couple million AD.

Neverwinter normally tries to keep an even playing field, and not let people ACTUALLY buy significant advantages over free players. Paying for stuff in Neverwinter is largely Quality of Life changes, getting things faster, grinding less.

This? This is pay to win, period.
Post edited by rhoriangelus on

Comments

• ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and let everyone know exactly what I think of this development.

Introducing rank 4 mounts? Acceptable. Making rank 4 mounts ONLY available in lockboxes? Unacceptable.

There is a HUGE difference between offering things that are just visuals (Metallic Dragonborn, old Legendary mounts) and offering things that are SIGNIFICANT advantages in lockboxes. This is NOT okay to do to your customer base.

If you're going to offer a rank 4 of mounts that grants 4000 movement speed and 140% speed? AND can be used in combat? You need to make it available to upgrade our own mounts to that level. EVEN if it ends up costing a couple million AD.

Neverwinter normally tries to keep an even playing field, and not let people ACTUALLY buy significant advantages over free players. Paying for stuff in Neverwinter is largely Quality of Life changes, getting things faster, grinding less.

This? This is pay to win, period.

Agree.

This is THE DUMBEST thing to ever be released. I would even say its DUMBER than artifact equipment, which has CLEARLY been a massive flop decision.

They need to REMOVE the +4000 speed bonus. NOT allow the mount to have its "activation" work in PVP and now its only benefit is 140% movement. THAT is fine.

Either that or allow a new upgrade tone you can buy to upgrade ALL other mounts to also get this +4000 movement, active bonus etc.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I've already expressed these same ideas in the other threads about these mounts.

They're curious what we think? We think that we want a game that at least tries to be fair, and this isn't the way to do it.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Guys.. this isnt good, not at all, you want my feedback, then this is a MASSIVE mistake.

Unless you ALSO give all par for par.

epic mounts ALL have a stat bonus (im ok with the movement speed)
    Legendary have both xtra speed and stat bonus

This is the ONLY small chance of making it acceptable.

I WOULDN'T have bought a account wide mount if you did this at the start!

and slam goes my wallet again. You guys, I just dont even know what to say some days.
    edited June 2015
    And because not everyone is going to re-post their thoughts, here are the two prior threads on the subject, overflowing with negative feedback.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?948911-First-look-to-the-Armored-Giant-Strider
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?948921-The-New-Legendary-Armored-Strider-is-a-140-Speed-Mount-not-110

I sincerely hope they're actually listening and not going to push through with it because the idea is somebody's baby. Adding more functionality to all mounts would be GREAT. Adding special functionality to one or two specific exclusive mounts is TERRIBLE.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I sincerely hope they're actually listening and not going to push through with it because the idea is somebody's baby. Adding more functionality to all mounts would be GREAT. Adding special functionality to one or two specific exclusive mounts is TERRIBLE.

Don't bother hoping: it's coming and they aren't going to hold it back nor will they change it; it's officially announced now.

I never, ever thought I'd see myself typing this: but the stink of "pay-to-win" is starting to creep into the picture. I am NOT saying that's what this is. And the only way to avoid that appearance and also placate the player-base is to also offer equivalent mounts in the Zen Market, which I believe they will do eventually. And (this is a very hopeful "and") offer some way of upgrading Epic Mounts to Legendary versions - at least with the 140% mounted and +10% unmounted speeds. And that upgrade needs to be purchased with Astral Diamonds, not Zen.

However, I know better than to hold my breath on it.
  • avengingangel93avengingangel93 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This is literally the dumbest **** I've ever seen in Neverwinter be introduced. I mean, seriously?
  • gweddrygweddry Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ayroux wrote: »
    Agree.

This is THE DUMBEST thing to ever be released. I would even say its DUMBER than artifact equipment, which has CLEARLY been a massive flop decision.

They need to REMOVE the +4000 speed bonus. NOT allow the mount to have its "activation" work in PVP and now its only benefit is 140% movement. THAT is fine.

Either that or allow a new upgrade tone you can buy to upgrade ALL other mounts to also get this +4000 movement, active bonus etc.

And if something is dumber than artifact equipment, then I think nothing else needs to be said. There should at the very least be tomes to upgrade our current mounts.
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There's three things to look at with this mount addition. First, the Movement speed increase up to 140%. This is actually pretty cool, since the introduction of rank 4 means we can get around more easily now. However, important to note is that unless it's in some way available to other mounts, this is a massive blunder and will just get people pissed off, because having max speed is why most people went out of their way to get account-wide mounts that traveled at max speed. Easy fix? introduce a mount rank book for 3 -> 4. Boom, done.

Second, the movement speed buff. This is ******* important, because never has a mount actually given you a stat boost of any kind. This is a problem, because it means these striders are going to be required if you max things out, and that's not cool for a lockbox mount because they have intentionally limited supply. Easy way to solve it is to include the movement speed bonus in with the rank increase book.

Finally, the in-combat attack. Now, looking at Lazalia's video, it's a decently powerful attack (75% of her transcendent vorpal critical hits, while not being critical itself), it has a minute long cooldown assuming you're not leaving combat. That? That is very cool. I'd say that's probably the one part of these Striders we don't have to proliferate to other mounts, with one exception. Legendary Mounts. the people who have these are few and far between, and it'd actually add something to them to have in-combat abilities like this. We already have an attack animation for the Armored Bulette, for instance, seeing as bulettes are monsters you can face off against in Reclamation Rock.

As a quick rundown of animations it'd actually be fairly easy to introduce for mount attacks of other types: Horses would show up, rear, and then run over the target. No new animations needed, just splicing together old ones, and suddenly you've covered two of the above. The bulette could do the burrowing attack it does in Reclamation Rock, which has the same timeframe as the strider's attack there. The Emperor Beetle could let out a massive screech before flying off again. Tenser's Floating Disk? You summon a wizard for the disk anyways, why not make him attack? The rage drakes, once again, are an enemy you can fight and thus would be easy enough to rig an attack onto the mount.

No new animations are required for this stuff, just a bit of extra work, and it'd give an additional level of usefulness to older mounts, making people more likely to go out of their way to get ones that actually interest them. The worst thing they could possibly do is make the stats and attack exclusive to the Striders, with no way to advance your older mounts.
    edited June 2015
    Adding a tome that would at minimum have to cost over a million AD for one mount for one character to keep it in line with the pricing of other ranks of mount upgrades would not be a satisfactory solution because it once again only works for those with money to burn.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You can be sure it will be similar as with the Packs. If they would've offer these Packs for Zen in the store at the begining they would've earn much less. When most of those who wanted to buy already did they could release them in the store without much risk.

Once enough players spend $ on lock boxes they will probably release some in the store for 5 or 6k Zen. Once enough players buy these they will probably release an upgrade book which you can use on your old mounts.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So is there any developer feedback , you know what with the new increased communication on whether they are planning on giving existing epic mounts the increased 4000 movement speed or is it just mounts released after the new lockbox that get the added stat and also are they planning on giving us a reasonable way to upgrade our existing mounts ?
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited June 2015
    Everyone could drop dime and buy max stuff...

These sort of status symbols before, HAD nothing to do with in game play-ability.

this is pure and simple a p2w and money grab on the behest of the corporation.

You have miscalculated though, for giving us unbound RP, I purchased a pack with real life dollars.

for this garbage and nine hells thought it came from, you have closed it again.

Thank you actually.
  • nahsinahsi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Better be a book or something. I'm not letting go of my Small Forest Stag. >:[
    edited June 2015
    I actually bit the bullet and upgraded a Dappled Riding Horse on my DC because it's beautiful and suits her perfectly.

I have a Small Forest Stag banked against a future druid class. That would also require an upgrade. And such is the price of vanity, and I was reconciled to that.

Aesthetic choices are ok to pay a premium for if you choose to. I have account-unlocked epic mounts which are good enough for the other 10 or so characters that I like to pretend I can keep vaguely playable.

I cannot, *absolutely cannot* envision affording a mount upgrade to Legendary for all of them.

If they don't do anything to balance out existing mounts, there's even less reason for anyone to ever buy one of the green or blue ones just because they like it.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I would say they should implement movement speed stat to all existing mounts with higher number per rank.
    _Epic+ Legendary: 4000
    _Blue:3000
    _Green:2000
    _White:1000

Also, tome to upgrade from rank 3 to 4 should be available to purchase, to make it fair to f2p players.

I actually like the idea of combat power of the mount, they should implement it to all mount in the future.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
    edited June 2015
    I dont have a issue with the concept, just AS usual their implementation of it.

nothing new.. sad..
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yea, gota echo the rest of the voices here. Not happy with this level of player power being shoved in a lock box. If the mount only had one significant boost to power it would be a problem, but to give it the fastest speed, a 10% run speed bonus, AND an extra attack? This is simply too much and completely unacceptable.

With one move you have made every single mount in the game subpar.
    edited June 2015
    silverkelt wrote: »
    I dont have a issue with the concept, just AS usual their implementation of it.

Exactly. Add a movement speed buff to every mount and the playerbase would be ecstatic, even if they're not all getting a super-buff. Make all legendary mounts run at 140% speed and introduce a variety of options for acquiring them including account-unlocks from the Zen shop and we might grizzle but we'll adjust.

I'd like to see a use in combat added to everything but it would take some time. I think it was Harnel who offered some suggestions for animations that could be incorporated. I'll add the panther pounce for any mount using the feline frame, and there are already attack animations for wolves as well. I don't know if there's anything for bears.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• sher0013sher0013 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't even... Is it normal to add a new rank 4 mount (got for donation ofc) that is better than any other legendary mount? (except ugly appearence). Shouldn't all legendary mounts be of the same quality? Because they are all... um... legendary?
    And using mounts in combat... God, this is a MOUNT. You should MOUNT on it. And also show off in front of other players. Not use the poor creature just some doohchickey. What's next? Artifact mounts - and you need to feed it other mounts to upgrade?
    I mean, this idea is awful. Simply awful.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    nahsi wrote: »
    Better be a book or something. I'm not letting go of my Small Forest Stag. >:[

Amen to that. Not giving mine up either -- no way, no how.

That said, I don't need this to shut my wallet. Last night sent me flying over the deep end with my SW in Spinward Rise. I'm waiting for tangible changes that tone the difficulty down and nothing less will suffice.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • kingsgracekingsgrace Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    THIS is it. THIS is the pay to win death of neverwinter, this is where it starts. F**k this game and f**k the a**ehole who came up with this idea. What a c**t.
  • freefrothfreefroth Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Seems like more corporate psyops to me. Go in with a 'leaked' outrageously unsatisfactory proposal, let the ensuing outrage and anxiety fester for a while, come back with a slightly more moderate proposal that we would never have initially dreamed of accepting quietly. Magically people feel like the company has done them a favour whilst eating their cr@p sandwich. I have spent a decent amount on this game (far more than my wife would like, anyway). But I have no trust left in this project (and ergo the companies involved) and hope they realise this has a huge influence on my future gaming decisions.
  • satsunohadosatsunohado Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I dont give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> if you Devs simply upgrade the mount speed to 140%, but what the hell is in combat damage and 10% run speed boost? As it was way too overpower in pvp, if people here play PvP, they will now how imba for extra 10% run speed, and for 11k damage (extra one deadly blow).

If Devs dont want to hear players complain about this mount after released, make the bouns (11k damage and 4000 movement speed) only works in PvE, not PvP, also make every mount upgrade-able to legendary quality.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    sher0013 wrote: »
    I don't even... Is it normal to add a new rank 4 mount (got for donation ofc) that is better than any other legendary mount? (except ugly appearence). Shouldn't all legendary mounts be of the same quality? Because they are all... um... legendary?
    And using mounts in combat... God, this is a MOUNT. You should MOUNT on it. And also show off in front of other players. Not use the poor creature just some doohchickey. What's next? Artifact mounts - and you need to feed it other mounts to upgrade?
    I mean, this idea is awful. Simply awful.

Artifact mount makes much more sense than artifact gear tho....
    Also regardless everything this mount is really nice
  • bannynbannyn Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I certainly hope, but rather doubt they will, Retrofit all previous mounts (especially those store bought or found in chest) I just happened to be lucky enough to get a previously gold rare mount from a chest and now its not as good as the "new" gold mounts from chests. I'm sorry but they should make all god mounts the same all purple, all blue etc. Add same speed and battle features. I have spent a fortune on other munts cause I like my people to have different mounts based on the type of character I build, and now all this is waistd and penalized because they will be penalized for using these mounts compared to the new ones. I love this game and have spent a small fortune on it, but with every update and "news" you keep getting more money grubby and greedy!!! You are driving this game into the ground rather than making if more fun!!! And I am sure there will be people who somehow take advantage of this and instead of punishing them for it you will end up rewarding them by punishing the rest of the player base that do not cheat!!
  • phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    4000 stat points from a mount, thats way more than any artifact even gives. And making it that exclusive just makes it worse. Even if they add a tome for a few millions to upgrade mounts, that won't help if you have several characters. It's just not reasonable.
    In fact mount "refining" (or training) that slowly gives more and more +movement stat and could be done on all mounts would have made much more sense than this.
  • sher0013sher0013 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    Artifact mount makes much more sense than artifact gear tho....
    Also regardless everything this mount is really nice

It's up to you if you are talking about the appearence of this mount - as a tiefling, I'd prfer to stick to my nightmare, no matter what the stats of this new mount are. But I think it's kinda wrong to force players who wants to stay competitive, to use only one mount. They should have made at least all legendary mounts better at once (even though there was information that no upgraded mounts are on the way. And then - poof! Everything except strider is outdated)