test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A new beginning

linoge63linoge63 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 373 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Those of us that have enjoyed NW and have endured the subpar and sub-professional design leadership actions and inactions continue to communicate our wrath in these forums. It serves as a medium to vent but it also gives those within NW admin valuable feedback not only free but paid.

But I think it is imprtant to recognize the announcement that the lead designer has been changed to someone with a strong reputation to not only protect, but to grow and evolve. He probably very unlike his predecessors has quite a bit to lose if things continue as it was or worse.

The point I am making is that i feel its ok to wrath on regarding our countless frustations about what has and has not been done but to refrain in projecting a negative expectation onto the new designer and his team.

Lets not allow the designers of the past dictate our vision forward and lets allow this new designer the space to reveal his abilities uncluttered from negative expectations based on others.
Post edited by linoge63 on

Comments

• Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I dont think, that the old team was bad, just overworked and understaffed. Release dates are decided by WotC, not PW. The one thing that keeps poping up in Dev posts is 'prioritize'. Maybe the new leader can help in this departement, but he cant create a better engine or hire additional players.

While I complain, as many other players, I mostly feel sorry for the Devs.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    x3n0forumx3n0forum Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    asterotg wrote: »
    I dont think, that the old team was bad, just overworked and understaffed. Release dates are decided by WotC, not PW. The one thing that keeps poping up in Dev posts is 'prioritize'. Maybe the new leader can help in this departement, but he cant create a better engine or hire additional players.

While I complain, as many other players, I mostly feel sorry for the Devs.
    Yeah, I think these are the problems with NW, at least as far as I can see.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jimmyhar wrote: »
    The new chap started well with a rousing speech but then

immediately nerfed XP,
    nerfed Dragon Horde enchants
    and remains completely silent on the comedy one-shot-a-dragon bug.

I imagine he is focussing on Mod 7 and mostly leaving Mod 6 to rot. So I'm not sure how much change he will really bring.

Actually if you put it like that it really doesn't bode well (or perhaps not even as well as before)....

I did think the initial PR announcement was promising, but judging from the actions since it is hard not to be very disappointed....
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tousseau wrote: »
    Ummm...he gave us the Legacy of Rumulus expansion, along with cute and cuddly eppohs to catch and raise... In STO, that is...

Legacy of Romulus is, always has been, and always will be the best epic plus for STO. Delta Rising did the exact opposite: killed it. (Based on new tier Starships and requirement to pay to upgrade existing *Zen Market* purchases = epic fail). it's one thing for our hard-earned in-game gear to go defunct, but when they make your real $ Zen market purchases defunct? Oh, hell no.

Lets just say past achievements are not cumulative; you are only as great as your most recent effort. So if Legacy of Romulus was an epic win, I hope he didn't have anything to do with Delta Rising which is epic fail.

Probably just best that none of us hold our breaths until we see and actually experience whatever fixes/changes/new-shinies they have in store. My patience is great, but as the old saying goes: Beware the fury of a patient man. My patience is already becoming stretched a bit thin as it is: in City of Heroes, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and now Neverwinter. spent money in all of them, supported the studio. Now I there is left for me is Neverwinter, I spend zero money or play in any of those previous. Zip, zilch, nada - and not because I'm bored with them, but every time it was because of policy changes that I felt were simply unacceptable.

They're nudging dangerously closer and closer toward the sheer cliff edge.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    At this point i hope they focus on class/item related bugs and new mod 7 content.
    Mod 6 is just beyond salvation.. no amount of changes can trasform <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> into gold
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Delta Rising and MOD6 mmmmm, I sense a pattern emerging.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tinead51 wrote: »

I felt a great disturbance in the Forum, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened. :eek:
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tinead51 wrote: »

The force is strong in this one.
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think Devs focus on wrong things. We dont really need new areas like Spinwardrise (or w/e it's called). Most of us would rather see bug and exploits being fixed faster rather than new land that we'll visit once and ever comeback there. Content can be fun even if you have to play on the same map all the time, (example, Dota 2)
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Actually if you put it like that it really doesn't bode well (or perhaps not even as well as before)....

I did think the initial PR announcement was promising, but judging from the actions since it is hard not to be very disappointed....

...add in "communication".

Last message in Dve tracker right now is three days old and on the of course game-breaking topic of belt visuals... ...AND it doesn't even state something like factual. "I believe". Well, time to go to church, I suppose... ...maybe praying can help.

you know, I'm all for "have patience", "giving time", "better good than another bunch of bugs" - but so far I see all but NOTHING.
    kalindra wrote: »
    THAT brought me back to STO, and gave me hope that he's not the kind of guy to let himself be lured into a doomed project, if only for his reputation.

...getting lured?

"Mr. Shicoff, to my office, please. And stat."

"Hello, thanks you could come so fast, Mr. Shicoff. Well, good news for you: Effective now, you are Head of Design of the NW dev group. Congratulations to your new responsibilities! Make it good..." (unspoken:"...or else...")
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ...add in "communication".

Last message in Dve tracker right now is three days old and on the of course game-breaking topic of belt visuals... ...

Just to put this in perspective, the last 4 days in American have been a Saturday, Sunday, National Holiday, everyone back to work on Tuesday...typically the devs will actually work on stuff then tend to be more active towards the end of the week as questions come out about new patch notes or other announcements.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Just to put this in perspective, the last 4 days in American have been a Saturday, Sunday, National Holiday, everyone back to work on Tuesday...typically the devs will actually work on stuff then tend to be more active towards the end of the week as questions come out about new patch notes or other announcements.

...point taken. Still, apart from patch (delay) notes and Xbox news - the last message of substance and concerning the current state of the game, not some projected niceties in the more or less distant future, is 5 days old (May 22nd). Before that one: On 20th Panderus took the communcation policy serious. A Wednesday. Nothing on Thursday and Friday apart from patch and contest info. So a week of non-delivery on promises...

Oh, here in most of Europe it's been a Holiday weekend, too, though in a more verbal and christian sense: Pentecost.
  • Options
    nehemiah217nehemiah217 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The problem is one of a failure for management to effectively conceive what it is that the dev team actually does.

For instance, this is what management thinks needs to be done:
    bigstockphoto_crossing_out_failure_and_writi_4820592.jpg

While in reality, this is what the devs need to do:

7LZ41990_RO%205680_RS%20Pics%20028.JPG
  • Options
    k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To be fair the management itself might actually understand the situation well enough; that doesn't help much if the shareholders, boards of directors and whatever *they* answer to, and whose more or less sole concern is the company turning profit now, do not.
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Let's compare Star Trek Online to Neverwinter.
    The mistakes made in Star Trek Online were that the game has become more like a generic space mmo than Star Trek. Star Trek Online would be more fun if all the new Delta Rising powers (such as specialization skills, etc) were simply removed. Delta Rising added new powers which had little relationship to star trek and many people, including myself, do not even enjoy using most new powers. Many missions have timers and secondary objectives. If secondary objectives fail, then you are kicked out of the mission.
    Some secondary objectives can easily fail if someone does not know the mission or intentionally sabotages the mission.

What can Neverwinter developers learn from Star Trek Online?
    Always remember ....
    Neverwinter is a D&D game first.
    Do not put things into the game which are not related to D&D.
    There are plenty of non-D&D and non-Star Trek mmo's. Please focus Neverwinter to be a D&D game.

Module 6 did something right
    There are not too many new powers in module 6.
    no more need/green/pass is a very welcome change
    Finally, even though this may seem strange to people who never played star trek online,
    there are no timers in Neverwinter dungeons. server does not automatically kick everyone due to failed secondary objective.
  • Options
    k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    *shrug* Either way it's bound to have layers of hired managers and executive officers - the bureaucrats and technicians of business - between the owners proper and the code-slaves sweating over the actual games. Plus Cryptic is more specifically under the US branch office isn't it?
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    linoge63 wrote: »
    Those of us that have enjoyed NW and have endured the subpar and sub-professional design leadership actions and inactions continue to communicate our wrath in these forums. It serves as a medium to vent but it also gives those within NW admin valuable feedback not only free but paid.

But I think it is imprtant to recognize the announcement that the lead designer has been changed to someone with a strong reputation to not only protect, but to grow and evolve. He probably very unlike his predecessors has quite a bit to lose if things continue as it was or worse.

The point I am making is that i feel its ok to wrath on regarding our countless frustations about what has and has not been done but to refrain in projecting a negative expectation onto the new designer and his team.

Lets not allow the designers of the past dictate our vision forward and lets allow this new designer the space to reveal his abilities uncluttered from negative expectations based on others.

from what i understand problem is in management not development
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The new lead has my vote of support.

At the very least his two messages to the community over the few months he has been on are more then the previous Lead Dev did in a year... (At least from what I remember off the top of my head!) :cool:

Progress is being made, and a much steadier pace than before.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ...point taken. Still, apart from patch (delay) notes and Xbox news - the last message of substance and concerning the current state of the game, not some projected niceties in the more or less distant future, is 5 days old (May 22nd). Before that one: On 20th Panderus took the communcation policy serious. A Wednesday. Nothing on Thursday and Friday apart from patch and contest info. So a week of non-delivery on promises...

Oh, here in most of Europe it's been a Holiday weekend, too, though in a more verbal and christian sense: Pentecost.

Again, what do you expect in two weeks?

The plan was plainly laid out to the players in a blog post two weeks ago. And we saw that the patch planned for last week took some big steps towards addressing those concerns. Unfortunately, it got pulled at the last minute because something went wrong. Which is actually another good sign. The lead here is NOT going to release a patch that fixes some stuff, while breaking others.

It's definitely a shift in direction, and a positive one at that.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    linoge63linoge63 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sangrine wrote: »
    Let's compare Star Trek Online to Neverwinter.
    The mistakes made in Star Trek Online were that the game has become more like a generic space mmo than Star Trek. Star Trek Online would be more fun if all the new Delta Rising powers (such as specialization skills, etc) were simply removed. Delta Rising added new powers which had little relationship to star trek and many people, including myself, do not even enjoy using most new powers. Many missions have timers and secondary objectives. If secondary objectives fail, then you are kicked out of the mission.
    Some secondary objectives can easily fail if someone does not know the mission or intentionally sabotages the mission.

What can Neverwinter developers learn from Star Trek Online?
    Always remember ....
    Neverwinter is a D&D game first.
    Do not put things into the game which are not related to D&D.
    There are plenty of non-D&D and non-Star Trek mmo's. Please focus Neverwinter to be a D&D game.

Module 6 did something right
    There are not too many new powers in module 6.
    no more need/green/pass is a very welcome change
    Finally, even though this may seem strange to people who never played star trek online,
    there are no timers in Neverwinter dungeons. server does not automatically kick everyone due to failed secondary objective.

That timer thing would be a killer, a total deal breaker ...I hated that in the assassin creed games.
  • Options
    soltaswordsoltasword Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It would be nice if the difficulty got lowered a bit. I just tried doing Ghost Stories on my level 70 OP with all blue gear and 78k morale with a 1780 iLvl. Couldn't do it at all. Not even close. Had no problem getting down to the cemetery but once there I died in less than 5 seconds. Barely even got a few encounter powers off before I was dead. Tried it 3 times in the cemetery and was killed so fast each time, I just gave up. Heck, the Dread Ring area was easier than that. Unless the difficulty is lowered a bit, I am about done with this game. I work way harder in the game trying to stay alive than I actually do at real life work. I play to get away from work and have fun. Not the other way around.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's been seven weeks.

The elephant in the room going all the way back to January -- when this was still just a nightmare on Preview -- is difficulty.

Nothing has been done. Nothing has even been announced.

Bugfixes are always nice, but the elephant is still standing in the middle of the room.

In mod 6, the designers went out of their way to stack the deck against players in every way imaginable, and anyone not wearing plate armor has been hit the hardest. This is what has to change.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Again, what do you expect in two weeks?

The plan was plainly laid out to the players in a blog post two weeks ago. And we saw that the patch planned for last week took some big steps towards addressing those concerns. Unfortunately, it got pulled at the last minute because something went wrong. Which is actually another good sign. The lead here is NOT going to release a patch that fixes some stuff, while breaking others.

It's definitely a shift in direction, and a positive one at that.

Neverwinter: Looking into Elemental Evil

"By Alex Wed 22 Apr 2015 06:34:39 PM PDT"

...and, well, I've heard some soothing noises, seen some small movements in the right direction - which again have ceased.

That is my problem...

As I wrote above: I'm all for having patience. But a one-time burst of communications is one or two powers of ten less than I have expected. Currently I see the apparent standard Cryptic approach of trying to ignore the problem away.

I heard the promise, but I don't see it being honored. This includes as well the state of the game (balance) as the communication...