Install Arc
Options

PVP/PVE Hunter Ranger build

Comments

• Options
    j0kerspsychoj0kerspsycho Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    katozee wrote: »
    Because more people will flock towards this post since it has PvP in the title, please could you add this tid bit of testing that I have done that would benefit the more hawk eyed hunter.

Hindering Shot leaves a double arrow animation in the target for 1-2 seconds. The appear dark in colour but positioned almost on top of one another. The reason why this is important is because if a class stealths the arrows do not disapear with the character. If the timing is just right i.e a TR trying to make a get away, use hindering shot then dash towards the magical moving arrows and use hindering strike to reveal a rather confused looking TR wondering how on earth you knew where he was +rooting him or at least applying the dot.

Edit: Also i'm under the impression players cannot turn around whilst rooted, though its difficult to tell in PvP. PvE mobs definately cannot turn around on the spot. May be something useful to know since I found that:

Forest Ghost > Fox Shift > Steel Breeze > Hindering Strike > Standing behind them, has one me many 3v1 encounters. It may be because they have given up?

As a TR you can see arrows or knives from other rogue's cloud of steel stuck in you. From my experience i can turn my camera while rooted but not my character maybe taking like .1 of a second instead of running straight for my toon to spin real fast, not a huge benifit, BUT this may effect what you can do because you may have to be facing a target to hit them, thus avoiding damage bc the character itself cant see you only the camera, may have to try n find a HR to root me and see if this is true, will check back at some point.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • Options
    madmoxxifavgunmadmoxxifavgun Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It seems ok, as long as you have high dex and wis the build is good for pve (u want dex and con for pvp but not worth remaking the class plus con loses its potency in mod 6)

i dont like pvp so i dont want be playing it
  • Options
    a0umia0umi Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Please,can you repost your power's tree ? :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    so i lost back to back to control wizard. 3 million each time. was playing temple of the spiders. 19 million to my 16 million. i honestly feel like i lost cause group was knocking enemies around and not grouping them up.
  • Options
    arlequin13arlequin13 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    so i lost back to back to control wizard. 3 million each time. was playing temple of the spiders. 19 million to my 16 million. i honestly feel like i lost cause group was knocking enemies around and not grouping them up.

Just had the same thing almost happen to me with a SS wizard with similiar gear score and and a cat companion. He did 14mill and i did 16 mill in spider queen. Then i realized i had done it with no ioun stone on lol.

My main question is the value of plaguefire vs vorpal. I only have a lesser plaguefire so i cant compare with my vorpal for now but have any of you tried to compare yet?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    arlequin13 wrote: »
    Just had the same thing almost happen to me with a SS wizard with similiar gear score and and a cat companion. He did 14mill and i did 16 mill in spider queen. Then i realized i had done it with no ioun stone on lol.

My main question is the value of plaguefire vs vorpal. I only have a lesser plaguefire so i cant compare with my vorpal for now but have any of you tried to compare yet?

i honestly cant answer that cause i dont have ether. been slacking off waiting for my people to level up so we can get our gear up to standard. i dont even have full t2 set. just got my 1st piece last night.

on paper i really like both of them. the ability to lower defense to massive groups combined with the roots is really nice. i also believe it would help with group dps so that is great too.

the vorpal i kno i will really like because of how much extra crit damage it gives. what i plan on doing to getting two bows one with plaguefire and one with vorpal. really cant go wrong imo.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I've yet to have been beaten in a dungeon but i have good gear and havent met to many aoe specced wizards. But aside from that, PF v Vorp: I prefer PF for pve bc in dungeons like castle never the fights last a fair amount of time thus the burn damage and the armor reduction would benifit more for you and your team than a vorpal. On the pvp side of things i feel like vorpal will be better, i only have a 25% one vs my normal PF so i am waiting to test, that and for a pvp bow bc i dont wanna have to spend 5g every time i want to switch enchants.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    a0umi wrote: »
    Please,can you repost your power's tree ? :)

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/x/hr?b=2leb:zbprc5:8f5h:3vb,1fi3iii:100000:100000:15u5zv&h=0&p=swd stormwarden for pve set up

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/x/hr?b=2leb:zbprbt:9f2y:3x2,1fi3iii:100000:100000:1uu5nv&h=0&p=pfr Pathfinder for pvp set up

(not many changes btwn the two)
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    just got plaguefire and just like i thought i really like it. also just dropped 19 million on frozen heart. had bad great weapon fighter and a friend trickster rogue. had more damage then both them combined. they only had 15 million combined.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    for aspect of the pack, i heard it gives a dmg buff. any truth? if it does how come you didnt compare that to twin blade storm
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I've yet to have been beaten in a dungeon but i have good gear and havent met to many aoe specced wizards. But aside from that, PF v Vorp: I prefer PF for pve bc in dungeons like castle never the fights last a fair amount of time thus the burn damage and the armor reduction would benifit more for you and your team than a vorpal. On the pvp side of things i feel like vorpal will be better, i only have a 25% one vs my normal PF so i am waiting to test, that and for a pvp bow bc i dont wanna have to spend 5g every time i want to switch enchants.

I have yet to be beaten in a dungeon also. While i admit the damage debuff is usefull from a party standpoint, the overall dps should be stronger on vorpal then on plaguefire simply because the vorpal can be refined to a higher level. I have yet to crunch the numbers but a quick glance at this guide seems to support this

http://laggygamerz.com/forum/index.php?/topic/342-crit-power-and-dps-the-numbers-guide/

Also important to remember is that when our DoTs crit, the whole of the damage dealt is a crit and severity can make this huge.
  • Options
    solist117solist117 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    j0kerpsycho - what's your XBL GT? Was going to look at the videos you mentioned but can't find you using forum name.
  • Options
    robertdiazrobertdiaz Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2015
    I have yet to be beaten in a dungeon also. While i admit the damage debuff is usefull from a party standpoint, the overall dps should be stronger on vorpal then on plaguefire simply because the vorpal can be refined to a higher level. I have yet to crunch the numbers but a quick glance at this guide seems to support this

http://laggygamerz.com/forum/index.php?/topic/342-crit-power-and-dps-the-numbers-guide/

Also important to remember is that when our DoTs crit, the whole of the damage dealt is a crit and severity can make this huge.

I agree Vorpal is going to be more overall DPS simply because this game revolves around mass amounts of adds + trash mobs, and the majority of both die so quickly to burst damage that it's unlikely you can get the full value of plaguefire on them since your party will most likely burst them down before waiting for a defense down debuff. Even if they did wait, then the wait would be a dps loss in itself, so vorpal wins in any MLG geared + skilled party make-up.

I'm trying to save up for a normal vorpal enchantment myself for both PvP and PvE.
    Britney Spears Hunter Ranger

twitch.tv/xx_alucard
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    solist117 wrote: »
    j0kerpsycho - what's your XBL GT? Was going to look at the videos you mentioned but can't find you using forum name.

J0kerscyc0

Will elaborate on my of v corp in due time when I am able to get on a PC again.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • Options
    trappy1026trappy1026 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    For PvP I've been running fox's cunning for the longest time. Lately though, I've been really on the fence about using that or Marauder's Rush. It's a really hard decision, I had my best game ever today running rush/escape, constricting and hindering. I went 32-6 and got over 1k glory lol. It's a toss up I guess.

With the shift, I sometime's find myself shifting at loose air, you really have to be targeting your enemy, or it's a waste, and I'm never too sure about the distance I can use it from. Either way HR lately has been friggin dominating for me in PvP, and I'm only in the brutal hunter's pvp gear. I'm a few pvp games away from being able to purchase a grim set.

Any recommendations for which grim set? Don't tell me to save for profound, that's not happening... yet lol. It's something like over 100k glory for a 4/4 set of Profound. I'm leaning towards Combatants because of the high deflect it gives, and I hope to make up for the offensive stats with enchants.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    trappy1026 wrote: »
    For PvP I've been running fox's cunning for the longest time. Lately though, I've been really on the fence about using that or Marauder's Rush. It's a really hard decision, I had my best game ever today running rush/escape, constricting and hindering. I went 32-6 and got over 1k glory lol. It's a toss up I guess.

With the shift, I sometime's find myself shifting at loose air, you really have to be targeting your enemy, or it's a waste, and I'm never too sure about the distance I can use it from. Either way HR lately has been friggin dominating for me in PvP, and I'm only in the brutal hunter's pvp gear. I'm a few pvp games away from being able to purchase a grim set.

Any recommendations for which grim set? Don't tell me to save for profound, that's not happening... yet lol. It's something like over 100k glory for a 4/4 set of Profound. I'm leaning towards Combatants because of the high deflect it gives, and I hope to make up for the offensive stats with enchants.

I can't give up fox shift, having the ability to dodge ice knifes, shocking executions, lashing blades, etc is critical in pvp imo. But I know the feeling, I have some odd 100hrs logged on my HR and many of that is pvp and I still find myself shifting n hitting nothing, sometimes,it gives u a lunge of like 30 feet other times,u can't move 2, just hit and hope xD but I could never give up prolly our highest damage ability and most useful utility for MR just me. For the grim set in not sure, I'm going profound, this Sunday will have my 4 set and may try combat spec to see if I'm a god at node holding. I just went for the set that gave me the most damage (archers for me) because I still have like a 50% deflection with lone wolf and 2 or 3 ppl around me which is the only time I will usually lose a fight if I'm out numbered, can solo any class with relative ease.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    for defense how much should we have? im at 1191 which is giving me 21% damage resistance
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Honestly not sure. I'm at 1500, I suggest just get a pvp set, can't go to wrong right? XD
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    i dont pvp but when i face people without pvp gear they get shredded. i meant for open world. also you know any good necklaces that gives alot of crit? kinda low right now till i get my enchants rank 8. my necklace now only gives 60.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Joker,

Yeah man. I feel that sometimes I have to switch up my encounters depending on the team I'm facing and how my pug team is playing. No one in my guild plays pvp so I am always pugging, and I've lately found myself 1 v 4 on a node vs a healer, and not having enough dps to kill all three lol. Two I can usually handle. Currently sitting at 2500 apen and something like 1800 crit.

I was running brutal hunter 4/4, saved up for grim combatant, finally got it last night. I feel now that I am doing way less damage! It's quite annoying, 29.5k glory feels kinda wasted... have to tweak the enchants/stats around I guess, and save up for that profound set.

With the Grim Combat, I have a lot of apen, but crit is pretty low. To comp for that I put the pegasus rings on, but I lose a lot of HP and survivability. This thing really comes down to numbers. Anyways, want to party up and grind pvp with me? Two hunters on a team communicating can straight up wreck stuff. My gt is trappy mcbeardheart@behard1026, let me know if you'd be down to embarrass some dudes. I'm trying to find a group to run pvp with.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Joker,

Yeah man. I feel that sometimes I have to switch up my encounters depending on the team I'm facing and how my pug team is playing. No one in my guild plays pvp so I am always pugging, and I've lately found myself 1 v 4 on a node vs a healer, and not having enough dps to kill all three lol. Two I can usually handle. Currently sitting at 2500 apen and something like 1800 crit.

I was running brutal hunter 4/4, saved up for grim combatant, finally got it last night. I feel now that I am doing way less damage! It's quite annoying, 29.5k glory feels kinda wasted... have to tweak the enchants/stats around I guess, and save up for that profound set.

With the Grim Combat, I have a lot of apen, but crit is pretty low. To comp for that I put the pegasus rings on, but I lose a lot of HP and survivability. This thing really comes down to numbers. Anyways, want to party up and grind pvp with me? Two hunters on a team communicating can straight up wreck stuff. My gt is trappy mcbeardheart@behard1026, let me know if you'd be down to embarrass some dudes. I'm trying to find a group to run pvp with.

Ive never felt the need to change my abilities, plus fox shift hits multiple targets. Even if i pug, which i did a lot in the past (prolly about 75% of my games), constricting,hinder,fox did the job plus some. You will be doing less damage, pve gear does more damage than pvp but has less defense and hp, full profound i will have close to 50% deflection, prolly around 1600-1800 defense and 26-30% damage reduction from pvp. So i will be fairly tanky and will prolly use a pve bow for extra damage. But if i come up to a guy with no pvp gear i will shread him because as long as you ahve crit and armpen you will do good damage which our sets allow us to have.

N sure look me up, J0kerscyc0, i am on early or late, work mid day, tonight im not going to be able to play though. Got a group to farm Castle Never within an hour so we are going to do that a bit and we also stomp in pvp so will prolly do that for free glory for a bit.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Sounds good man. I'm on most weekdays EST 7ish-12/1 am. I'll add you later and we should run some pvp sometime.

I was experimenting with MR, Shift, and Constricting. It was fun lol. Root, rush, shift, seismic if you have it, that's a load of damage. That's what I meant by switching it up. If I have a bad game or lose vs a good team that's clearly premade and ... communicating, I freak out and try to change things up.

The set you recommend is obviously default. Especially for pve. Sometimes I run ROA in place of Cunning if my team has a good healer and we don't have to worry about dying.

I think I'm a little overly obsessed with this hunter, I just want him to be the best he can be, nomsayin.

edit again:

here's some clips of me killin stuff with the trapper build, various encounters. :)

http://xboxclips.com/behard1026
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Sounds good man. I'm on most weekdays EST 7ish-12/1 am. I'll add you later and we should run some pvp sometime.

I was experimenting with MR, Shift, and Constricting. It was fun lol. Root, rush, shift, seismic if you have it, that's a load of damage. That's what I meant by switching it up. If I have a bad game or lose vs a good team that's clearly premade and ... communicating, I freak out and try to change things up.

The set you recommend is obviously default. Especially for pve. Sometimes I run ROA in place of Cunning if my team has a good healer and we don't have to worry about dying.

I think I'm a little overly obsessed with this hunter, I just want him to be the best he can be, nomsayin.

I feel it, n ive tried MR,shift,con. I felt i was missing damage in a group setting, by that i mean i couldnt fight 2-3 ppl and win as easily as i can with hinder,con,shift. Thats just me, and ive faced ppl from pvp guild premades that run that, i usually **** on them even if they get the drop cause hindering shot/strike does more and gives you roots vs MR which is only damage. Just me

And i know what you mean, im doing the same with my HR, trying to just **** on ppl as i go.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • Options
    zesolynzesolyn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am new to game and am trying different builds. I am only lvl 56 and do the daily pvp quests for the rewards. I just finished a session against 4 paladins and another un-killable. Why do they not balance the survivabilty before they put two rangers together in a session like this? I did no damage to them and they killed me with one shot. Nothing I did touched them. Silly to even go into pvp.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    zesolyn wrote: »
    I am new to game and am trying different builds. I am only lvl 56 and do the daily pvp quests for the rewards. I just finished a session against 4 paladins and another un-killable.

Well i have almsot no clue to what you are refering to. If u are playing paladins you are on the wrong forum, this is for xbox m8. As to putting two rangers in a group, if me and one of my ranger friends are in a group, we can usually roll through any team.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    MR is great for chasing or dodging but the invulnerability frame and the dodge from fox shift is crucial in negating the opposition's best offense. The fact that fox's cunning will buff my allies is a bonus and makes it a permanent fixture.
  • Options
    thekeypitthekeypit Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've seen your videos and I am astonished that you're able to use shift so often. It looks like you don't even have a cooldown. How so?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Haxs! Lol, look at the trapper feats, third one on the bottom, aspect of the fox if I recall, reduces our cds by 53/6/9/12/15% for every ability we use. This is what makes,us have no cds.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • Options
    thekeypitthekeypit Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wow. I think I'll need to re-skill, because I've followed a guide that was a bit too old.
    PF or SW for PvP? What do you recommend is best?

Edit: What about the "Tyranny of Dragons"-stuff. Where should one spec for PvP?
  • Options
    ancojoancojo Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm a level 59 Hunter Ranger but I'm obviously not very good using this character as my feats and powers are the same yet I am doing rubbish when doing dungeons etc, I just get blitzed! I'm usually 3rd or 4th place scoring about a 3rd of the top players score!

I'm not sure how you play this character as I seem to keep having to use my At Wills due to the cooldowns taking about 15 seconds or so to reload, I use Foxshift when in Bow mode and it just flashes a fox above my characters head, what exactly does it do?

Should I be in knive mode or bow mode?
    What am I doing wrong, other than playing badly?

I made a Trickster Rogue and am more often than not at the top of the leader board, I go straight into fights instead of sitting back, I've leveled it to 35 so far.

Thanks for all the tips