test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sad news: Cryptic loses 18 employees

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
edited March 2015 in General Discussion (PC)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So... we lost nine neverwinter devs... that's /totally/ what we needed. It's not like they had to delay new content because they couldn't finish in time, so why would they need the extra nine people in the workforce...

And to those devs that are no longer with us - I wish you the best of luck for wherever life leads you next...
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hum The HIde and Seek Event might be harder then anticipated:rolleyes:
  • cybercyanidecybercyanide Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    I hope they can break free from PWE. They're as bad as NC you know who...
    My condolences to those who lost their jobs. May better things come your way soon!
  • kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    aha that's was the reason about delaying and stuff not going well ... mmm sad ,
    i hope they will find better companies and we get better devs :)
    edited March 2015
    Anyone here going to bother digging through the dev posts and seeing if any of the devs we know by name are missing?
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    djarkaan wrote: »
    Hum The HIde and Seek Event might be harder then anticipated:rolleyes:

Since the instance has been filled since the event began and no new location has been announced, it might be impossible - unless of course you happen to be one of the very few people who are in the correct instance. :(
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

edited March 2015
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    Since the instance has been filled since the event began and no new location has been announced, it might be impossible - unless of course you happen to be one of the very few people who are in the correct instance. :(

That's always the issue with all of these "Do <insert activity> with the Devs", they happen so rarely that it's impossible to compete in them.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sometimes layoffs are for financial reasons and sometimes it's to clear out people who were not pulling their weight. Not sure which one was the reason in this instance.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • kaenkirakaenkira Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I doubt Cryptic/PWE would be cutting costs so short before a new release so I guess someone hasn't been doing their job properly.

Maybe we can look forward to some improvement in the game itself.
    The suits can't afford to lose any more players (and income) so it's sink or swim now.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Never nice hearing about people losing their jobs. If they weren't pulling their weight, though, Cryptic is probably better off for it. Wonder whether this will affect the amount of issues they were hoping to fix before April 7 launch.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It says the community manager was let go. Was that the guy with pink hair who runs the Neverwinter Twitch shows?
  • sabre10sabre10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    kurtb88 wrote: »
    It says the community manager was let go. Was that the guy with pink hair who runs the Neverwinter Twitch shows?

I'm thinking it refers to the Champions Online community manager
    aDXr4Ur.png
    Civil Anarchy Officer
    Fabled Alliance
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    kurtb88 wrote: »

No, they said he was STOs CM, so it wasn't Akro. Akro is also a PWE employee, not Cryptic. However, it seems PWE also took a hit, so it's anyone's guess who might be left.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So... we lost nine neverwinter devs... that's /totally/ what we needed. It's not like they had to delay new content because they couldn't finish in time, so why would they need the extra nine people in the workforce...

And to those devs that are no longer with us - I wish you the best of luck for wherever life leads you next...

Well these devs could be the ones working on the xbox port of the game. Such things take a lot of manpower. If that's true, that's really sad for these people, as they could have been useful to fix all the bugs the game has, but that's what happens in the game industry all the time shortly after a launch, if it's content designers, well, that sucks and it doesn't paint a bright future for the game.
  • healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sorry to hear that Cryptic lost 14% of their staff and this game was hit the hardest particularly and lost half its talented workforce, but I expected that a little while ago when I told you the powers that be in China did not seem to be very pleased with what’s going on with Cryptic and particularly this game.

Anyway, life goes on with PWE and Cryptic, 18 people are just a tiny percentage in the PWE organization which employs thousands worldwide, and there are ongoing projects. Further cooperate reorganization, I think, is likely, but there are still plenty of opportunities of career advancement within the organization for Cryptic employees.

Sorry to hear the cut happens, but this is just part of the going trend in all the online game developers in the West the last couple of years. Nothing new.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rabbinicus wrote: »

They announce Zone *and* which instance on Twitter. Just FYI.

As for the news: C'est la vie. There just isn't anything else that can be said, except this: Champions Online CM? There was a Champions Online CM!? Sheesh.
  • ofnieslafofnieslaf Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rip in peace 9 nw devs

im sure ull find a game to create class balance such as it this one

regards
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is pretty awful. My thoughts go out to those who were laid off, its a pretty awful thing to happen to anyone.

I would love to see Cryptic pull away from PWE personally. I hope we continue to have a game we enjoy. I think alot of future modules will need to be prioritized better to make the customer happy and to stay longer.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    stah01 wrote: »
    This is pretty awful. My thoughts go out to those who were laid off, its a pretty awful thing to happen to anyone.

I would love to see Cryptic pull away from PWE personally. I hope we continue to have a game we enjoy. I think alot of future modules will need to be prioritized better to make the customer happy and to stay longer.

Heya PJay! How ya doing man??

Honestly, I am not sure what to make of this layoff. The timing is right for a post expansion layoff, except that we didnt get the expansion (And by that I mean Mod 6)

Also I've heard that PWE/Cryptic was hiring alot of people for Neverwinter. So why would they be hiring and firing unless it was to rotate out the bad apples. And I could almost believe that except....

Rumor has it that Mod 6 is being pushed back again to April 22. Havent been able to confirm that anywhere. But sources are sprouting that nonsense...
  • learch123learch123 Member Posts: 514 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Nah. Losing 24% of your company in a single day means they knew this delay would be required to get the module good enough to put live. I seriously doubt any new issues will be attended to. I'll go even further: I'm not so sure they'll release the mod in April either. I wouldn't even be surprised if it never gets released.

so far i dont think mod 6 is close to going live in 2 weeks more like 4 weeks the way it looks right now
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Wow and I thought they already appeared to be understaffed O_o

There just isn't anything else that can be said, except this: Champions Online CM? There was a Champions Online CM!? Sheesh.

It was the STO CM , CO is being left alone because it doesn't take much to keep it going apparently.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • vedran541vedran541 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe if they would have listened to their players a bit more, they would have kept their jobs.
    edited March 2015
    Almost. If 24% of your employees are "rotten apples" as you call it, this game would never have gotten this far.

Well, not sure what you mean by this far. If you mean the present game we have that alot of the playerbase is unhappy with, with changes most people are in agreement with are not going to be steps forward for the game. Then yeah.

For awhile now I've thought that new blood was needed and a different direction for the classes structure in Neverwinter was needed. Maybe that's the beginning of what we're seeing here.

Or it could be that things are going south and this is just the first salvo as the game goes under. Only time will tell.
    edited March 2015
    Perhaps. It kinda depends on what departments had to take the hits. So far it seems mostly marketing and PR and not the dev staff. But we'll see as more becomes clear.

Well, lets be honest. Marketing and PR for Cryptic has never been that awesome to begin with. It still amazes me how many fans of the superhero genre never knew that City of Heroes ever existed or what company ran it.
  • mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    soltasword wrote: »
    My opinion is that all game companies need to just stop announcing when games, patches, or updates are coming out as not one of them can get it right. They get our hopes up and we get all prepared for them and then nothing. What we get it is, sorry it has been delayed. So, just stop announcing when the game, the patch, or the update is due out because it won't be. Just say - Coming Soon, and leave it at that.

P.S. I understand the reasoning behind the delays. But that doesn't make it better.

tl;dr:
    You promised me broken content and I want my broken content on time!
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
    edited March 2015
    Honestly, given what happened today involving the laying off of 9 Neverwinter employees, I have to agree with Magenubbie. It seems to me as though Cryptic's current options are to release a bugged mod in two weeks, or to release a paladin class, and buy themselves some more time to finish up mod 6 content. Of course, this means they'd also have to add Paladin gear sets to our current dungeons and loot tables, but I think it'd be worth it.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
  • ryoshinetteryoshinette Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe new one will start to listen?
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i am not sure there will be new ones
  • lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This really sucks. Sorry to all those that got laid off. You really did make a fine game. (not perfect but what is)

I am not sure what this means for neverwinter going forward. The general thought was that it was already understaffed losing 9 developers is huge. And if cost was an issue that doesn't bode well for what they will be adding to the zen shop
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • soltaswordsoltasword Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mjytresz wrote: »
    tl;dr:
    You promised me broken content and I want my broken content on time!

Apparently you didn't read the ps. I don't want broken content. Who does. Only that they deliver what they said when they said they would or stop announcing that stuff will be be ready before they can get it ready.
This discussion has been closed.