test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Gateway safe?

bobhunter1bobhunter1 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
akromatik wrote:
While we are working on getting the Gateway page back to its normal state, we thought we might mention a work-around if you absolutely need to use Gateway. Please only do this if you are on a secure, private network. If you are not or don't know, we do not recommend this. You have been warned. That being said, all session on Gateway are, in fact, SSL/secured.

To get around the Invalid Certificate message (only do this if you are on a secured and private network), do the following:
Original Post: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?850501-Getting-on-Gateway-A-Work-around-for-people-with-secure-networks&p=10161171&viewfull=1#post10161171

I'm not able to ask my question on the thread so I'm posting it here.
1. How safe is our account information if we do not have "secure and private network", but Gateway is back to normal?
2. How do I find out if my network is "secure and private"?
Post edited by bobhunter1 on

Comments

• Options
    grumblesmorfgrumblesmorf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Following the instructions for google chrome (click advanced, click go there anyway unsafe) I am still unable to access the gateway in google chrome. I get an ugly white page with a login form that doesn't work and listing a bunch of random errors before I've even tried to use the login form that doesn't work. It's been like this for a couple of days now.
  • Options
    antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Following the instructions for google chrome (click advanced, click go there anyway unsafe) I am still unable to access the gateway in google chrome. I get an ugly white page with a login form that doesn't work and listing a bunch of random errors before I've even tried to use the login form that doesn't work. It's been like this for a couple of days now.

Logging in from Google Chrome works fine
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • Options
    nuudlznuudlz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The point of this is, don't use the gateway on open/free WiFi and/or internet cafe's and the like because with open connections and no secure login, your information can be read by other people.

The login information is still send over a secured TLS connection (I don't know why Akromatik is saying that the Gateway Login is using SSL but meh...). No data is being send in plain text. The issue about invald certificates is that people may not be aware of fishing sites or man in the middle attacks.

There's no difference between a "secure" or "insecure" network. First of all you've to make sure that you are connecting to the correct side and not being redirected to something else. This is plain simple by just checking the adress bar of your web browser - so nothing else than https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/ is valid.

Secondly you've to make sure that your connection is secured by the correct certificate by checking the authority chain. Esp. in foreign networks there may be mechanics to break the TLS connection at the proxy and replace Perfectworld's certificate with an own one to decrypt and reencrypt data.

So if you get a certificate warning while surfing to https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/ and there's a different trust chain than the following one you shouldn't login at all.

Internet Cafés are a totally different story because you
    a.) have no idea what software is installed on the machine and
    b.) you don't know which self-signed certificates may be stored in the machine's certificate store

I highly recommend to not use any foreign computer to login into private sites under any circumstances.
    The Zisters' Magazine - Subscribe now and you'll never run out of style.

We are always looking for new models --- Borderline Fashiondolls ---
  • Options
    grumblesmorfgrumblesmorf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    antovaras wrote: »
    Logging in from Google Chrome works fine

It still doesn't work for me. Just tried again and still got an ugly white page with a broken form and a random list of errors that seem like things that should be displayed after entering data in the form and failing to login. But like I said, that form doesn't do anything on my end. Is Google Chrome PORTABLE not supported? I just realized I've been using that on this computer. Doesn't seem like it should make a difference really.
  • Options
    kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    just as safe as any banking site would be. It's an encrypted connection.

All my browsers say it is not secure. They all say if you go there your information will not be secure...
  • Options
    midnightitamidnightita Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    just as safe as any banking site would be. It's an encrypted connection.

I've written books about the subject, but long story short: If you're at home, have decent firewall/AV software running and a password protected WiFi (if present) and you have a clean computer free of malware and other junk, you can consider yourself safe. The point of this is, don't use the gateway on open/free WiFi and/or internet cafe's and the like because with open connections and no secure login, your information can be read by other people.

what informations are you talking about? WiFi password? my documents? what?
  • Options
    pmabrahampmabraham Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There's a reason why amazon.com and other sites that value customer data use SSL. No, the gateway is not secure until they purchase a renewal digital ID and install it. When I worked for a hosting provider, this was something typically done in less than one business day.
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The gateway currently has an expired SSL certificate. Is it safe to use on a private, virus free network? Yes. Would I use it @work or on starbucks free wifi? No. If you trust everyone on a given network, it is safe to use it on that network. Otherwise, I wouldn't risk it.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    soltaswordsoltasword Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I use the seamonkey browser and previously had no issue with gateway. The other day, I was unable to get to gateway due to the it is unsafe to go to this website issue. I just had to allow the certificate that the website was giving me in order to get to the website. It was strange to say the least but not the first time that has happened. I play Lotro as well and go to the website for it and the same thing happened there as well. All I know is it has something to do with the certificate that gateway uses to authenticate the website. Other than that, I have no clue.
  • Options
    elvenaarelvenaar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I wonder if we can expect that the gateway issue will be fixed today by Cryptic, I mean they had all of Friday and the weekend, so it should've been long enough to get things done no? For us Europeans by the time they wake up they'd already had the Monday too btw.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Can't connect as well.
  • Options
    matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    NO it isn't safe and is unusable!

Gateway_error_2.jpg
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm now getting "This webpage is not available" for the Gateway.
    Chrome has been flaky lately, but the rest of the web loads fine.

Is it down?
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Tried it on other browsers and Chrome and IE can't display.

I've still got it up and logged in with Firefox (because if this network isn't secure, I've got bigger concerns than my game account).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    psychorockstarpsychorockstar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    obsiddia wrote: »
    I'm now getting "This webpage is not available" for the Gateway.
    Chrome has been flaky lately, but the rest of the web loads fine.

Is it down?

Me too. Cant access it at all
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Tried it on other browsers and Chrome and IE can't display.

I've still got it up and logged in with Firefox (because if this network isn't secure, I've got bigger concerns than my game account).

I hope it can stay, for the future install PrivDog.;)
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    dyesleedyeslee Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    live and preview server are both down for me. I am getting "trouble loading page" or "error Loading page".
    I have tried on my android firefox and chrome.
    Tried on PC on chrome, IE, and Firefox. All receiving same errors.
    Any idea on an ETA when they will be fixed and back up again?
    5790248SLdyC.png
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That's one way to make it safe, take it down.
  • Options
    jnmlvnjnmlvn Member Posts: 71
    edited February 2015
    Getting the same exact problem. I need to Invoke to refresh my coins...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I hope it can stay, for the future install PrivDog.;)

Gateway resumed normal operations as i see! Take that advise guys about PrivDog back, used it myself and at company for years, but as i see since a few hours it gets some bad news! Don't wanna give bad advise to you all!
    Robert E. Lee

Winston Churchill

David Icke

• Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The gateway is confirmed up at this time and with no security warnings. Thus, this thread is no longer relevant.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
This discussion has been closed.