test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guide of terms for newbies

shadrakt2shadrakt2 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Pardon if this already exists, I tried looking for it but couldn't find it: can someone create a compendium of MMO terms and nomenclature? I'm trying to read Chemboy's guide, I think it's for noobs (BTW, "****" is an alternative term for "newbie", or a new and inexperienced player. That's for all other noobs reading this), but there are so many terms I don't know!

I keep looking at the list of acronyms on the Wiki, but it doesn't always help. What's "squishy"? Draco fight? Wipe? The definitions of "adds" and "mobs" are much harder to find than you would think. Try any search that includes the term "add", and tell me how many pages you went through before giving up and realizing you will never find anything remotely related to gaming.

You can sort of take a guess at the meaning of some of these terms from the context, but sometimes it takes so much energy to try to figure this out that I'm not paying enough attention to the guide itself.

Does this compendium exist? If not, I'm creating it.
Post edited by shadrakt2 on

Comments

• Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not sure if you are asking for the list and know the answers or are asking for the answers....I dont know of any list. My contribution...

Squishy - A character class that is not able to take many direct hits.
    Draco fight - usually refers to a dragon battle I think
    Adds -- Any fight tin which additional creatures join in, usually monsters that were not intended to be pulled, or additional monsters from a staged fight.
    MOBs - Basically anything in the game that fights back. I think the term means Mobiles...but in general its any NPC that fights.
    Wipe - when the entire party dies.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Thanks, oldbaldyone!

I thought I knew these terms now, but your definition actually helped clear them up.

I guess for now I'm listing terms I'm a little shaky on, but my main purpose is to find or create a central database for future reference.

Here are two more:

1) to "pull" a monster (oldbaldyone, you opened the door on this one :)

2) "Points" being spent on raising stats: this keeps coming up on Chemboy's guide, and I don't understand what it means. I'm sure he's not talking about the power and feat points you get when leveling up. How do you spend "points" raising, for example, your power or deflection rating?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    "Pull" basically means getting a monster's attention... it was over there minding its own business, and now you have pulled it over here to try to bite your face off.

Before you ask, "push" would usually be taken to mean knocking monsters off a cliff so they die.

Points in stats... well, gear and enchants have numbers on them for how many of a stat they give. What do you call that number but points?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Pull - monsters (mobs and such) have programmed routines controlled by the game's AI. They either wander in a patrol pattern awaiting things to enter their threat zone or stand in an area awaiting some player to come along. Pulling involves the act of targeting a specific monster and drawing it away from an area to somewhere where you can deal with it without getting pounced by other monsters.

Points - as you are referring to it, means the stat increases you receive at those 10 level marks where you can place two increases to your characters attributes (strength, Dexterity, etc.).
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Thanks all.

Here's some more. I hope this thread is useful to some newbies some day. :)

3) "socketable" stat? Here's the whole sentence for context: "Lifesteal might be the most important socketable stat for CW".
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Draco fight - usually refers to a dragon battle I think
    Adds -- Any fight tin which additional creatures join in, usually monsters that were not intended to be pulled, or additional monsters from a staged fight.
    h
    These two are incorrect:

Draco - This refers to the final boss of the Castle Never dungeon. It is short for Dracolich
    Adds - These are "Additionals". I normally use this term for boss fights - These are the additional creatures that spawn (Not including the boss). For example, the Devils and Erinyes during the Tiamat fight are examples of adds.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    shadrakt2 wrote: »

"socketable" stat? Here's the whole sentence for context: "Lifesteal might be the most important socketable stat for CW".

This is kinda obvious.. but it's a statistic that can be gained by placing an enchantment in a slot/socket...

And lifesteal is not the most valuable "socketable" stat for CW. Just saying.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    4) Proc. Ex: "The third strike will proc frozen power transfer for up to 15% more damage"
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If you're wearing a soul forged, for example, and you reach 0 HP, the soul forged will proc, and you'll be raised. When A CW crits, Storm Spell can proc. Weapon enchantments also said to proc when their desired effect happens.

If you can put an enchantment on a piece of gear, it is socketable. For example, the pants and shirt that can be made through professions can come with a socket for an enchant, but some don't. The ones that do are socketable.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    BiS: Best in Slot - usually referring to anything you can equip; Gear, Enchantments into Gear, et.

OP: *Usually* means "Over-Powered" - but you must pay attention to context:
    In a forum thread "@OP" will mean "At the Original Post" (Post #1 in a thread)
    When mentioned as a class: Oathbond Paladin.
    When mentioned in conjunction with combat: "Over-Powered" meaning too much power ability; unbalanced.

Stats: Anything relating to your individual scores, such as Power score, Armor Penetration score, Defense score and so on - in your "Character Sheet" - lower-right side of the screen (press "C" key)

AC: Armor Class - a highly misleading score that is being abandoned when Mod 6 launches.

Classes:

GF - Guardian Fighter
    GWF - Great Weapon Fighter
    CW - Control Wizard
    SW - Scourge Warlock
    DC - Devoted Cleric
    TR - Trickster Rogue
    HR - Hunter Ranger
    OP - Oathbond Paladin

Respec - Respecialization, the means to reset, then reselect your powers and feats, etc.

AD - Astral Diamonds
    AH - Auction House
    ZAX - Zen/Astral (diamond) eXchange
    (Buy Zen Points with Astral Diamonds and vice-versa; trade AD/Zen with other players)

Bank - "Many Coins Bank" in PE
    PE - Protector's Enclave
    Mask; The Mask - Moonstone Mask social zone

PvE - Player versus Environment. In NW Forums this *often* means specifically Co-Op play (Party or team play) People usually specify "Solo" when they mean solo leveling play.

PvP - Player versus Player

Boss - Usually the climax of any Zone or Dungeon Delve - defeating this NPC wins the instance.
    Mini-Boss; Brutes - Boss-like encounters that are difficult and challenging almost as much as, but not quite as much as a Boss.
    Adds - Additionals - usually referring to Mobs* that are designed to spawn when the Boss or Mini-Boss reaches certain HP levels as you whittle them down.
    *Mobs: any "hostile" NPC that you can do combat with (whether you kill them or not depends on the quest objectives)
    Trash; Trash Mobs - Those easy-to-kill minions you often encounter first in an instance or all over zone maps.

And for good measure:

Akro - Akromatik, community manager (though we seem to be seeing less and less of him publicly)
    Dev/Devs - Developers - referring to all Cryptic Staff, whether they are actually developers or not.
    GMC - Affectionate abbreviation for GentlemanCrush high-ranking Dev with authoritative in-the-know (System Designer = Big kahuna).
    PandaMan; HappyPanda - Panderus - though called a Dev is not a Dev but one of the Producers (bigger Kahuna), also authoritative in-the-know.

There are more but these come to mind off the top of my head right now.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Thanks guys, this is excellent!

I'll give it a few more days, then I'll start thinking about listing them in alphabetical order with the most agreed-upon definitions.

Please feel free to continue adding terms commonly used in forums and guides that might baffle newbies.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Some basic Gear Terms, based on weather they are bound on Pickup, Equip, or Account, or some combination thereof.

BoE: Bound On Equip
    BoA: Bound On Account
    BoP: Bound On Pickup
    BoAoP: Bound On Account On Pickup
    BoAoE: Bound On Account On Equip

Knox/KnX: Sgt. Knox at his spot in Protectors Enclave, usually for the purposes of getting a mission from him.

ToD: Tyranny of Dragons

IWD/The Dale/ID: Icewind Dale

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I'm also adding a few that I know, just for the purpose of keeping the in the same thread.

"Alt": Depending on the context: short for alternate, is usually a second or third character created with the main purpose of using professions or other passive activities to collect AD for the main character.
  • Options
    w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    AC: Armor Class - a highly misleading score that is being abandoned when Mod 6 launches.
    I think you mean gear score here?

PUG (Pick up group): party formed via queue function or LFG channel, also used as a verb
    LFG in chat: looking for group
    LFM in chat: looking for member
    LF<X>M in chat: looking for <X> members
  • Options
    vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    GMC - Affectionate abbreviation for GentlemanCrush high-ranking Dev with authoritative in-the-know (System Designer = Big kahuna).
    PandaMan; HappyPanda - Panderus - though called a Dev is not a Dev but one of the Producers (bigger Kahuna), also authoritative in-the-know.
    Just loling on those two.
    You just called them "big ball" and "bigger ball".
    lol
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    In which language? In Hawaiian, you're sort of calling them the boss or chief or "pro".

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    quistranaquistrana Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is a site which contains a lot of neverwinter abbreviations (some kind of wiki)

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Help:Acronyms/Abbreviations
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    In which language? In Hawaiian, you're sort of calling them the boss or chief or "pro".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kahunas&defid=4310493
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Right, which tells you right in there that the slang is probably the result of a misunderstanding.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Right, which tells you right in there that the slang is probably the result of a misunderstanding.
    Maybe, I'm not australian. but I'm sure I've heard it in some movie so its being used.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Cojones, which actually does mean what you said, sounds somewhat similar when said out loud (ko-ho-nez as opposed to kah-hoo-nah).

Or the movie was Australian.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Disambiguation, PUG: when in guild or other chanel chat PUG often refers to groups found through the opnen /lfg chat.

Also: +; Shorthand for either 'add me' or 'let's go again'
    Main: Your primary character or class.
    Leadership bot: an alt you nolonger use that just runs leadership tasks for RAD
    RAD; Raw Astral Diamonds.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've also seen/used "BtA" to mean "Bind to Account" or "Bound to Account".

GtG or gtg - can either mean "Good to go", as in, ready for whatever we're doing, or "Got to go", as in, I have to leave now.

You'll sometimes see people on a team type "+" into chat - this typically means they are acknowledging that they are in the event queue that the team leader set. I've also seen teammates use a "1" typed in to represent this.

There is also shorthand for many of the dungeons:

CT = Cloaktower
    CC = Cragmire Crypts
    WD = Wolf Den
    Idris or ToD = Throne of Idris
    PK = Pirate King
    Karru = Caverns of Karrundax
    CN = Castle Never
    FH = Frozen Heart
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Changed the thread title. There's a reason that particular term is filtered--it's generally considered an insult. "Newb" is considered the more appropriate shorthand for a new player.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    shadrakt2 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, this is excellent!

I'll give it a few more days, then I'll start thinking about listing them in alphabetical order with the most agreed-upon definitions.

Please feel free to continue adding terms commonly used in forums and guides that might baffle newbies.

Please add/update/order them in the wiki and link to it rather than merely listing them in here.
    Anyone can edit the wiki and it's a much better information repository than a forum.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I think you mean gear score here?

ACK!
    You are correct! LOL
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    vadimt83 wrote: »
    Just loling on those two.
    You just called them "big ball" and "bigger ball".
    lol

"Kahuna" (Kah-hoo-nah) is Hawai'ian word for "Boss" or "Warrior Leader". :)
    (Kohones (Ko-ho-neh) is Spanish (IIRC) for what you thought you read. HAHAHA!)

My hometown is Kahului, Maui (Hawai'i). Keiki aloha ku'u home'o kaha'a lu'u.
    (Learning Spanish in school is so cliche). LOL

Oh, and just for kicks - Hawaiian pronunciation of Hawai'i is Hah-Vigh Eee. Haoli always get it wrong. ~wink~