test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF, to gear or not to gear? Or just go with GF.

chewmagnachewmagna Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited January 2015 in The Militia Barracks
Sup everyone. I'm a semi casual player (pve only) and earlier today hit 60 with my GWF (SM/Destro). I like the class, I think it's a lot of fun, but all I hear and read about is how "bad" the class is. Part of me says just gear her and the other part says work on something else because nobody will want me in their group with this class. I don't really get where a lot of this comes from, I don't have any end game experience but all the content I've done leveling I've always doubled to quadrupled everyone else's damage, usually ended up tanking, and more than once saved the dungeon from wipes. I'm not exactly swimming in AD (semi casual I said), I have maybe 250k between my characters. Probably doesn't help that I just spent that much on a couple more slots.

The other option is to pick up and finish leveling my GF, she's 54 right now. Problem is I don't like the idea of being sucked into playing tank or buff bot. I like tanking the "traditional" way, but not in NW. She's been leveled as dps (SM/Conq, again, usually doubling or more every one else's damage while inadvertently tanking) and I'd like to continue playing her that way, but again, I don't think that's exactly welcome in team play for epic content.

I like both classes, I just don't want to waste the AD gearing one and end up not being able to actually play that character how I like.
Post edited by chewmagna on

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    I have two level 60 GWFs and I only PvE with them. They are both in T2 gear and I love them far more than I love my two level 60 GFs. That's just me though. I'd probably enjoy my GFs more if I could handle the blocking mechanic better. Alas, that's not an issue of the GF, but an issue of my health which makes holding down any button like that along with needing to also press other buttons with the same hand, something I loathe the most out of any class.

When I do play my GFs though (PvE also) and my hands aren't bothering me that bad, I do have a good time also.

What I'd suggest is to roll up a GF and play them to 60 then decide for yourself which you like more. As for the negative comments towards GWFs, these are almost always geared towards PvP content and many times it has to do with them either being OP or broken in some way and is usually argued against.

I don't PvP on my GWFs, so I don't know how they are in PvP personally. GWFs in PvE can be deadly however. While I die on occasion on any class I play, the one that I can count on to rarely ever die in PvE content, is one of my GWFs or my main DC (she's a regen-beast).
  • Options
    matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    chewmagna wrote: »
    I like the class, I think it's a lot of fun, but all I hear and read about is how "bad" the class is. .

GWF is not bad, on the contrary, its very close to what it is supposed to be. Where did u see or hear this nonsense? If by chance you caught some discussion for PVP you can totally ignore it. PVP is an entire different story where dominant classes are always changing. Enjoy your PVE GWF, and dont listen to what the majority says cause they are new to this game.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    matiagronx wrote: »
    GWF is not bad, on the contrary, its very close to what it is supposed to be. Where did u see or hear this nonsense? If by chance you caught some discussion for PVP you can totally ignore it. PVP is an entire different story where dominant classes are always changing. Enjoy your PVE GWF, and dont listen to what the majority says cause they are new to this game.

No with the nerf to unstoppable that happened mod 4 GWF's just suck to play. Subpar damage unless you are 20kgs+, squishier than any other class, worst tab mechanic in the game now that it's been nerfed to the ground. There is nothing fun about GWF anymore.

GF's have a lot going in the buff department, but if you don't want to be a buffbot, I wouldn't recommend them either to be honest. GWF used to be my favorite premod 4, but now these are probably the two worst classes imo.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    No with the nerf to unstoppable that happened mod 4 GWF's just suck to play. Subpar damage unless you are 20kgs+, squishier than any other class, worst tab mechanic in the game now that it's been nerfed to the ground. There is nothing fun about GWF anymore.

GF's have a lot going in the buff department, but if you don't want to be a buffbot, I wouldn't recommend them either to be honest. GWF used to be my favorite premod 4, but now these are probably the two worst classes imo.
    Strange, I haven't had any issues on either of my GWF's unstoppable in PvE content. Both are between 13-15k GS in T2 gear, blue belt, and purple seal rings with mulhorand cloaks and weapon/off hands. I can only imagine how awesome they'd both be if I ever got around to getting them better weapons/offs, rings, belts and cloaks.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    Strange, I haven't had any issues on either of my GWF's unstoppable in PvE content. Both are between 13-15k GS in T2 gear, blue belt, and purple seal rings with mulhorand cloaks.
    The problem is the worst if you are aoe'ing with wicked strike as an IV. That ability because of changes to prevent animation cancelling rubberbands me everytime I try to sprint after using it. Because of this I used to rely on unstoppable to mitigate cc and red area damage if aoeing a group because there would be no way to get out of it. Now I can't dodge still as the wicked strike rubberbanding is still there but I don't have the dr unless I go sent. The only way to have non-horrible damage as a sent is to be BiS with intimidation.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Ah, my oldest GWF is a Menzo Drow, Swordmaster Destroyer with 10 points in Sentinel. His at wills are Weapon Master's Strike and Sure Strike, with his encounters Restoring Strike, Not So Fast, and Indomitable Battle Strike. His Features are Steel Blitz and Destroyer with Crescendo and Spinning Strike as his dailies. Also, correction, his weapon isn't Mulhorand, its a Greataxe of the Thayan Zealot and I forgot I didn't get around yet to getting him in T2 armor, he's wearing a full Purple (non-set) Thayan Armor with a Mulhorand Cloak and Off-hand. 12,666 GS.

My other GWF (my favorite of the two) a Sun Elf Iron Vanguard and also a Destroyer with 10 points in Sentinel. Her at wills are Sure Strike and Wicked Strike. Her encounters are Restoring Strike, Indomitable Battle Strike, and Frontline Surge (which I often swap out for Takedown). Her dailies are Indomitable Strength and Slam. Her features are Steadfast Determination and Enduring Warrior. Another correction, she's in a T1 set of armor: Bladestorm's while I'm building up her T2 set. Her weapon and off hand are mulhorand but she's wearing a full set of Shore rings and cloak. Her belt is a green Belt of Strength. 13,370 GS.

Despite both of them being undergeared, the first more than the 2nd, they both are extremely fun to play and I rarely ever die unless most of the party dies first, or when soloing if I am not paying attention and draw in too many mobs or forget to go unstoppable in time. Otherwise, they're practically immortal. I'm sure they'd both die a lot in Tiamat though, with their current gear. As their current gear is really only good for the pre-ToD delves.

If there's any other specific things you'd like to know about my GWFs, just ask.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Ah, my oldest GWF is a Menzo Drow, Swordmaster Destroyer with 10 points in Sentinel. His at wills are Weapon Master's Strike and Sure Strike, with his encounters Restoring Strike, Not So Fast, and Indomitable Battle Strike. His Features are Steel Blitz and Destroyer with Crescendo and Spinning Strike as his dailies. Also, correction, his weapon isn't Mulhorand, its a Greataxe of the Thayan Zealot and I forgot I didn't get around yet to getting him in T2 armor, he's wearing a full Purple (non-set) Thayan Armor with a Mulhorand Cloak and Off-hand. 12,666 GS.

That's actually pretty close to what I'm running. Destroyer/Steel Blitz. Destroyer with 10 points in Sentinel. WMS and SS for my at wills. My encounters are a little different, I like Daring Shout, IBS, and the last changes depending on what I'm doing. Restoring Strike, Flourish and Battle Fury are what I swap out. I frickin love WMS, but I hate how it just stops attacking sometimes and I have to click again. Normally it isn't too much of an issue, but when there's a ton going on and I can't even see my character it's hard to tell if she's still attacking. Seems to happen a lot when I go Unstoppable. Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does. Sometimes she just stops attacking for no apparent reason (standing still holding the button and just stops). My dailies of choice are Crescendo and Spinning Strike/Slam.

Ok so go ahead and gear her up. Now the question is, which set? I've glanced at them and the bonuses on all seem... meh, at best. Avatar of War looks good but that might clean me out in the AD department.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    That's actually pretty close to what I'm running. Destroyer/Steel Blitz. Destroyer with 10 points in Sentinel. WMS and SS for my at wills. My encounters are a little different, I like Daring Shout, IBS, and the last changes depending on what I'm doing. Restoring Strike, Flourish and Battle Fury are what I swap out. I frickin love WMS, but I hate how it just stops attacking sometimes and I have to click again. Normally it isn't too much of an issue, but when there's a ton going on and I can't even see my character it's hard to tell if she's still attacking. Seems to happen a lot when I go Unstoppable. Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does. Sometimes she just stops attacking for no apparent reason (standing still holding the button and just stops). My dailies of choice are Crescendo and Spinning Strike/Slam.

Ok so go ahead and gear her up. Now the question is, which set? I've glanced at them and the bonuses on all seem... meh, at best. Avatar of War looks good but that might clean me out in the AD department.
    Yeah, I do get that issue too with WMS but my finger twitches so much anyway, I barely notice it. As for the armor set, I can only go by what I want out of my Sun Elf GWF and how I enjoy her, which is a Crit/Deflect build, which means I am slowly building her Avatar of War set. My other GWF (the one you quoted) is a LS/Regen build, so he's going to just go straight into Titan's from his Thayan purple gear.

If you cannot afford a full T2 set, mayhaps do what I do for most of my characters and start them out on a cheap T1 set then slowly through Delves and AD, gain the T2 pieces you want to upgrade to. You should be able to do any PvE content quite well in a T1 set, as long as it compliments your build. Tiamat however, might prove tough without a T2 set, but should be feasible in T1.
  • Options
    victoriiousvictoriious Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I frickin love WMS, but I hate how it just stops attacking sometimes and I have to click again. Normally it isn't too much of an issue, but when there's a ton going on and I can't even see my character it's hard to tell if she's still attacking. Seems to happen a lot when I go Unstoppable. Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does. Sometimes she just stops attacking for no apparent reason (standing still holding the button and just stops).

I have the exact same issue with it, was worried it was my mouse.

I run the same set-up as zebular, though I sometimes take Daring Shout or Mighty Leap over Not So Fast.

As far as your gear, depends on what you're going for. If you want crit. (which seems to be pretty standard these days) then ya AoW obviously makes the most sense. Sure, it's expensive to buy in the AH, but what happened to grinding for gear the ol' fashioned way? It's way more rewarding, on top of being cheaper :D. I'm no expert in GWFs, but those are my 2 cents anyway.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

If you cannot afford a full T2 set, mayhaps do what I do for most of my characters and start them out on a cheap T1 set then slowly through Delves and AD, gain the T2 pieces you want to upgrade to. You should be able to do any PvE content quite well in a T1 set, as long as it compliments your build. Tiamat however, might prove tough without a T2 set, but should be feasible in T1.

I can flat out buy the set, I'm just kinda on the fence about spending that much AD in one go lol. By the set I'm talking 4/4 plus main hand and off hand.

Now on the other hand (off hand? lol) the Vigilant set is vastly cheaper, doesn't have a horrible bonus, and I can get the whole shebang for 25% the cost of the Avatar set. It seems a bit weird though, the set has a crit based bonus, but no crit on the gear itself. I can solve that a little by getting the Avatar MH/OH, unless there's something out there better for it. I also have a couple R5 Azure's floating around.
  • Options
    victoriiousvictoriious Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Don't get the AoW MH/OH, they're very sub-par to other affordable weapons. They AoW MH is like x-875 damage with no 2/2 bonus (MH+OH). Meanwhile the Ancient Castle Champion's Greatsword (worth like 70k AD) is 8xx-984 damage with a +450 crit 2/2 bonus. Not sure what the OH costs though.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Don't get the AoW MH/OH, they're very sub-par to other affordable weapons. They AoW MH is like x-875 damage with no 2/2 bonus (MH+OH). Meanwhile the Ancient Castle Champion's Greatsword (worth like 70k AD) is 8xx-984 damage with a +450 crit 2/2 bonus. Not sure what the OH costs though.
    Good to know. I haven't put much thought yet into what I want as weapons for my GWFs, as I really haven't felt a need to upgrade them. What about Malabogs?

That 2/2 bonus sounds nice on that ACC Greatsword though.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Good to know. I haven't put much thought yet into what I want as weapons for my GWFs, as I really haven't felt a need to upgrade them. What about Malabogs?

That 2/2 bonus sounds nice on that ACC Greatsword though.

Before arti weapons, imo malabogs(crafted)(I forget the name of the crafted weapons compared to the dropped weapons) was best. However imo (and this goes for any class) just get any epic weapon (for weapon enchant slot) then switch to an arti weapon. Even just at blue they are better than the other CN/MC/VT weapons.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Before arti weapons, imo malabogs(crafted)(I forget the name of the crafted weapons compared to the dropped weapons) was best. However imo (and this goes for any class) just get any epic weapon (for weapon enchant slot) then switch to an arti weapon. Even just at blue they are better than the other CN/MC/VT weapons.
    Cool, thanks! I am currently using Greataxe of the Thayan Zealot on the drow and Mulhorand on the Sun Elf. Both have been fine so far, so I'll probably just make the leap from those into Arti weapons then. Might go for that ACC set though in the interim, if they're both cheap. As more crit on either of my GWFs would be a good thing.
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    GF needs a bit of investment to make it work is solo pve content, while it requires less gear for pvp. GWF needs less for pve content, but more for pvp (a lot more).
    Both classes need way more in terms of gear than any other class and for both gf/gwf pve builds wont be playable in pvp.

Get lifesteal, do campaigns and go for Tiamat.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    ortzhy wrote: »
    GF needs a bit of investment to make it work is solo pve content, while it requires less gear for pvp. GWF needs less for pve content, but more for pvp (a lot more).
    Both classes need way more in terms of gear than any other class and for both gf/gwf pve builds wont be playable in pvp.

Get lifesteal, do campaigns and go for Tiamat.

Not entirely true. A GF can transition well between both PVE and PVP, more readily than any other class.

What is god in PVP? Survivability. GFs stack HP, defence and regen easier than any other class.

What do you generally need from a GF in eLoL/eSoT/CN? A buffbot. What do buffbots generally do? Stack HP, defence and regen.

A single GF can quite easily swap gear and be competent in both areas of the game. Conquerors can even tank eLoL and eSoT. That is what I do. I have 3 full sets of gear, all readily accessible (discounting the BI arms drop) and switch between them depending on what content I am doing.

I agree with GWFs though. You have to be a Sentinel to stand a chance in PVP, but they only become truly viable at 19/20k+ GS when they have at least 8k power. But, in PVE, Sentinels don't offer much. Destroyers are cannon fodder in PVP unless they are outrageously geared, but they offer more than a Sentinel in PVE.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    thestaggy wrote: »
    Not entirely true. A GF can transition well between both PVE and PVP, more readily than any other class.

What is god in PVP? Survivability. GFs stack HP, defence and regen easier than any other class.

What do you generally need from a GF in eLoL/eSoT/CN? A buffbot. What do buffbots generally do? Stack HP, defence and regen.

A single GF can quite easily swap gear and be competent in both areas of the game. Conquerors can even tank eLoL and eSoT. That is what I do. I have 3 full sets of gear, all readily accessible (discounting the BI arms drop) and switch between them depending on what content I am doing.

I agree with GWFs though. You have to be a Sentinel to stand a chance in PVP, but they only become truly viable at 19/20k+ GS when they have at least 8k power. But, in PVE, Sentinels don't offer much. Destroyers are cannon fodder in PVP unless they are outrageously geared, but they offer more than a Sentinel in PVE.

As far as the BI drops for the arms go, I think something has changed in their drop rates lately. In the past 2 days I've gotten 3 BI arms drops on my SW while doing some HE's and mining BI. Either that or the RNG gods are smiling on me.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    As far as the BI drops for the arms go, I think something has changed in their drop rates lately. In the past 2 days I've gotten 3 BI arms drops on my SW while doing some HE's and mining BI. Either that or the RNG gods are smiling on me.

I think RNGesus has smiled upon you. My bro has ran about 100 HEs in IWD the past two weeks and his HR still hasn't gotten its arms. 20ish epic HEs alone this weekend and nothing, even though the zones are a lot quieter with most folks chasing dragons, so less competition.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    GWF is ok, but for full effect you really do need to be fairly highly geared, like 20k plus to play destroyer and not die to stuff.

In the old days thats not the case, a typical average gear score was ok to have.

I disagree with you Zeb, if you go to Tiamat (the current content) and try to tank in front of the clerics with a 13k destroyer gwf, you will be destroyed.

Same goes with elol and esot.

Sure a 13-14k can do all the rest of the content fine, but none of that is current content and even then in IWD this current GWF under destroyer just isnt the same anymore.

I actually just switched to sent and am 18.5k in AoW Armour (so no gear inflation on draconic stats), Im like 8.5 power but with AoW effect and the IWD boon (clear your stamina up to dragon head each time) I will be around 11-12 k power during the phase fights on the zerg. So my Come and Daring Shout will hit when buffed on heads 50-100k each.

Im probably not as functional as a destroyer, but I can also take on a cleric mob phase now without dying in 3 seconds.

But compared to my CW (17k) and DC (18.5k ) Im clearly doing less damage and less utility. My CW can lock down a point mob almost by herself and my DC buffs/debuffs increasing DPS by 100% on each head.

The fiction that a typically geared GWF is ok, is really off putting, its not. Sure you will see some GREAT gwfs, but look at their gear, your going to see golds flying left and right on them.

There IS NO other class that is so heavily gear dependent to run current content.

Dont get me started on pvp, I will not play this class in it anymore, its so hard to pvp now anyways, as there is almost no one in the middle class range playing it (its like you see 10k poeple and 22k people, where are the 15-18k people!)

I will bring my DC into pvp , as you can drop a shield (empowered) and use Break the Spirit and SB as a functional rotation, so you only die all the time to TRs and Trapper HRs and CWs that lock you down (so its up to divine BtS and who hits who first ect sometimes (except trs, who can go through my 4k defense, 2k deflect, 36 AC and 20% tenacity build)
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    thestaggy wrote: »

In a team environment being a buff/defender works wonders, but when you are solo and you want to do a minor quest you;ll have the worst experience, classes with 5k less gs will clear stuff faster than you , plus is the worst class at dealing with multiple adds (now with the shield bug even more so).
  • Options
    b3llist0rb3llist0r Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    silverkelt wrote: »
    The fiction that a typically geared GWF is ok, is really off putting, its not. Sure you will see some GREAT gwfs, but look at their gear, your going to see golds flying left and right on them.

There IS NO other class that is so heavily gear dependent to run current content.

Dont get me started on pvp, I will not play this class in it anymore, its so hard to pvp now anyways, as there is almost no one in the middle class range playing it (its like you see 10k poeple and 22k people, where are the 15-18k people!)

This! /10char
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I like both classes, I just don't want to waste the AD gearing one and end up not being able to actually play that character how I like.

Neither class is satisfactory, but NWO's GF is closer (not close, but closer) from GF than NWO's gwf is from GWF. You're 60 now and the game changes at this point. You won't be discovering new landscapes/stories/people, instead you will be completing the same quests again and again, with the general idea of improving your char's Gear Score, as this is all there is to do. And in this respect, while performing better, the GF is a bit more boring to play. Gwf is irritating to play because you're squishy and have no DPS and no CC, and all kinds of caps and delays and stacks everywhere, but the fights are more lively, you lose HP, you get cc-ed, you drink HP potions, your HP bar keeps going back and fro.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    keep the ad for mod6 and lvl 70 :D
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    silverkelt wrote: »
    if you go to Tiamat (the current content) and try to tank in front of the clerics with a 13k destroyer gwf,

They won't notice you. You'll die, but it will be a side effect of a breath, debuff, AOE in an area where you just happen to be.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ortzhy wrote: »
    In a team environment being a buff/defender works wonders, but when you are solo and you want to do a minor quest you;ll have the worst experience, classes with 5k less gs will clear stuff faster than you , plus is the worst class at dealing with multiple adds (now with the shield bug even more so).

Conquerors can load defensive stats just as easily and can then tank and buff in places like eSoT and eLoL just as well as a Protector. Conquerors can easily achieve 50% DR + with a cloak or feat.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    In other mmos, you trade off doing quests quickly for added advantages of utility (i.e. tanks and healers are required to clear content, being a really good tank and healer will net you a spot in any DD at anytime anywhere, the advantage also , is that most of those games have shared currency tab, so running one DD, will net you a token you can share with any ALT, so you can gear up as well)

In this game, being a tank and a healer means very little.

The game was set up for not needed any class, and its still that way. You can clear content with any set up, as long as people know their class and are geared well enough.