What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guild functions

2»

Comments

• circle33circle33 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    two30 wrote: »
    Loyalty is based on social bonds. If an allegiance is based on getting a bonus, that's not loyalty, that's a mercenary.

If you want mercenaries in your guild, you're free to pay them. Nothing is stopping you.

Introducing a guild perk system would cast a mercenary shadow on every guild.

I'd love to reward my loyal members as a bonus. Most games have this and if done well adds new life to the game but the way the OP is suggesting is something this game could use greatly since this game doesn't operate like other MMO's with how much it costs to get BIS enchants. I like the idea of a guild store too. This place is sooo solo now it's just absurd! This is not why I joined a MMO. If I wanted that, I'd just play Dragon Age.:p
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Loyalty is based on social bonds. If an allegiance is based on getting a bonus, that's not loyalty, that's a mercenary.

If you want mercenaries in your guild, you're free to pay them. Nothing is stopping you.

Introducing a guild perk system would cast a mercenary shadow on every guild.

Well this is an MMO and in-game based rewards and incentives are the big driving force for player interaction and player motivation. This isn't a cult or a family. You should try playing other popular MMOs and observe how the designers motivate players to do certain actions.

Don't get me wrong, family and all that jazz do exist as the primary functions of certain guilds just like people primarily play this MMO in order to roleplay in Moonstone mask, but the vast majority of players in this MMO and every other MMO out there prioritize in-game rewards and incentives.
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You should try playing other popular MMOs and observe how the designers motivate players to do certain actions.

Maybe YOU should play more MMOs. Eventually you'll learn that the healthiest reason to be in a guild is "I enjoy playing the game with these people." Guild perks just lead to mixed incentives.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
    edited January 2015
    Maybe YOU should play more MMOs. Eventually you'll learn that the healthiest reason to be in a guild is "I enjoy playing the game with these people." Guild perks just lead to mixed incentives.

I didn't say anything about healthy reasons or not. If you are able to run around Moonstone Mask for the past year roleplaying as an elf hunter, good for you. However, loot progression and character progression as well as in-game rewards are the primary motivators for the vast vast majority of MMO players. Guild perks are just another outlet Neverwinter couldve used to motivate players to join guilds.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I didn't say anything about healthy reasons or not. If you are able to run around Moonstone Mask for the past year roleplaying as an elf hunter, good for you. However, loot progression and character progression as well as in-game rewards are the primary motivators for the vast vast majority of MMO players. Guild perks are just another outlet Neverwinter couldve used to motivate players to join guilds.

it's the worst way to do it. One that only breeds resentment and anger. It leads to more pissed off players and htat isn't helpful for players, guilds, or the company.
  • circle33circle33 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    it's the worst way to do it. One that only breeds resentment and anger. It leads to more pissed off players and htat isn't helpful for players, guilds, or the company.

It doesn't breed resentment and anger. I wonder if you are even in a guild or do you run a guild in Neverwinter. The way the OP presented this would curb most toxic drama that goes on in these communities which would help the company and the players. I've wanted to rage quit out of this game over player behaviors and this idea would help end that.

Think about it:

If a guild leader tells their guildies that kicking people from dungeons is frowned on or pvp matches and they get proof a guildy is doing that, kicking that type of player would mean that they would have to start again in a new guild...meaning they would have to stay in that other guild for a month to get a guild perk. It would trickle down to other players and not just that guild.

The only way this would be viewed of as harmful is if you're a solo player just using your own guild for yourself and only you for a guild bank. This would mean you get no perks and would have to either recruit players or go join an active guild...

There are some people that only grind leadership and use guilds for banks. They don't even play the game anymore. This might bring them out of that loop.

You're trying to turn this into a highly negative thing when really this game could use this sort of program and it's 100 percent beneficial to both players and the economy. If this were put into effect, some of my friends that stopped playing would return. Guess why they went back to another game? GUILD PERKS.

In this game, there is so much guild hopping. So much poaching. So much drama. The OP's idea would help boost morale, help with community effort rather than all the soloing going on. What's the point of having an MMO if all anyone does now is solo grind? I've seen guilds fall apart over this as they tend to disconnect once they reach lvl 60 as tier 2 dungeons are no longer important. They can't grind Tiamat together and so forth.

I like the idea of unlocking more guild perks with community effort. It's time for a change and if all you want to do here is be a solo player and it's causes you great resentment that someone comes up with a brilliant idea of how to help out guild functions then maybe you just aren't a people person. This game doesn't currently reward loyalty. Most free to play games don't.

The idea of giving these rewards to people that have been in a guild for a month is not like other MMO's and I applaud the OP for this idea.

I wonder if any guild leaders feel the same as some. Leaders don't get rewards. They deal with too much grief and drama. People enticing their members to leave to join their guild instead....let's face facts. This is a MMO. If you own a big guild, you don't already know these people. The only reason to join a guild is because you've grown tired of being kicked from parties so you can't loot or GG.
  • rarefactionrarefaction Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It'll breed resentment?? OMG that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Thanks for making me smile hahaha...okay I'm off to play the game, have fun with trying to convince people my ideas are lame. :o
    edited January 2015

Lots of things breeds greed and resentment. Competition, tough obstacles, valuable loot, imbalanced matches, failed dungeon runs, boss wipes. It is part of the competitive aspect of any MMO.

What isn't helpful for a lot of players is having zero incentive to join a guild, having all the "endgame" (lmao) revolve around pugging it. Having World of Warcraft's looking for raid feature be the only raid available.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,492 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The biggest problem with NW guilds currently is.. there is very little need for them.

You need to be in a guild to access gg, that's it. And with the current price drop on T2, there is little reason to do gg as well.

There is no content that it is natural for a guild to cooperate to beat. The current dungeons are too trivial. You cannot group for Tiamat.

Beyond socializing here is not much point in being in a guild.

Game need to add:
    * Challenging content that a guild can work towards meaningfully doing together, be it preformed raids or hard group content.
    * Guild level quests would be good, with guild level rewards.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What if you could run the GG dungeons at any time, but only if your team consisted of at least 3 people from the same guild? Would that be too good/not good enough of an incentive? What if they made "Elite" versions of T1 and T2 dungeons, which were harder, had better rewards, but also had the 3-in-the-same-guild requirement?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited January 2015
    What isn't helpful for a lot of players is having zero incentive to join a guild, having all the "endgame" (lmao) revolve around pugging it. Having World of Warcraft's looking for raid feature be the only raid available.
    Where have you seen me argue against harder content? I want harder content that needs better coordination. I just think that every guild perk system that I've seen in the past 10 years in multiple games has always made the game significantly worse. Adding guild perks to another game is sort of the definition of insanity imo, doing the exact same thing again and expecting a different result.
    edited January 2015
    Where have you seen me argue against harder content? I want harder content that needs better coordination. I just think that every guild perk system that I've seen in the past 10 years in multiple games has always made the game significantly worse. Adding guild perks to another game is sort of the definition of insanity imo, doing the exact same thing again and expecting a different result.

Last I checked WOW is still alive. This is a different format. In WOW, you get those perks when you join the guild. In this version, you have to have been a member of the guild for a month to get them. The only people that would be insulted by this idea are:

1. Guild Hoppers.
    2. People who join guilds to try to get items from banks then leaving as those people may feel left out of perks (poor guys)
    3. People who use guilds as their guild bank and don't really want to play the game anymore just get as much cool stuff as possible to say "Look what I have that you don't!"
    4. People who don't like teamwork.
    5. People who rely on convincing players the guild they are in sucks so join their guild instead as their only recruitment method.
    6. People who have 20k plus gear score requirements as they may have to start inviting people with lower gear score (they can still find skilled players under that gear score).
    7. People who want to troll guilds.

For the rest of us, like you know...guild leaders that put up with so much <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and still keep going really value our members that stick by us through thick and thin. I'd like to reward them for it. How many other guild leaders would like this or guildmates? If you aren't in a guild or fit the above 7's...maybe it would suck for you and maybe it would help you stop being so anti-social and value team work or it will <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you off and you'll rage quit.

I know of several people in this game that are tired of the mind games that are played on guilds that wouldn't mind less drama and many would show their thanks to the game itself IF it's done right.

The whole point of a MMO is teamwork.

The difference between WOW and this game is this game is free to play which entices toxic behavior yet I think this game is even more fun than WOW. It can be even more. Implement this new feature, market it to the public and watch the community fill even more + more profit.

(I have more ideas on how this should be implemented...for those who care and can actually do it....shoot me a PM.)
    edited January 2015
    Last I checked WOW is still alive. This is a different format. In WOW, you get those perks when you join the guild. In this version, you have to have been a member of the guild for a month to get them. The only people that would be insulted by this idea are:

1. Guild Hoppers.
    2. People who join guilds to try to get items from banks then leaving as those people may feel left out of perks (poor guys)
    3. People who use guilds as their guild bank and don't really want to play the game anymore just get as much cool stuff as possible to say "Look what I have that you don't!"
    4. People who don't like teamwork.
    5. People who rely on convincing players their guild sucks so join their instead as their only recruitment method.
    6. People who have 20k plus gear score requirements as they may have to start inviting people with lower gear score (they can still find skilled players under that gear score).
    7. People who want to troll guilds.

For the rest of us, like you know...guild leaders that put up with so much <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and still keep going really value our members that stick by us through thick and thin. I'd like to reward them for it. How many other guild leaders would like this or guildmates? If you aren't in a guild or fit the above 7's...maybe it would suck for you and maybe it would help you stop being so anti-social and value team work or it will <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you off and you'll rage quit.

I know of several people in this game that are tired of the mind games that are played on guilds that wouldn't mind less drama and many would show their thanks to the game itself IF it's done right.

The whole point of a MMO is teamwork.

The difference between WOW and this game is this game is free to play which entices toxic behavior yet I think this game is even more fun than WOW. It can be even more. Implement this new feature, market it to the public and watch the community fill even more + more profit.

(I have more ideas on how this should be implemented...for those who care and can actually do it....shoot me a PM.)

It's not just wow, there's rift where guild perks were a massive failure, ddo where guild perks were a massive failure. You're ignoring the lessons of history that other mmos that have come before have tried and failed. There is nothing intrinsically special about neverwinter or it's players that would cause the same things to work out any differently. You are stuck on your idea and don't seem to be able to recognize it's problems. I feel sorry for you because your only response is ad hominem attacks on people that don't agree with you, or to say that you need to be a guild leader to have an opinion on this. The fact is that anyone that has played mmos for a considerable period of time will have seen your systems before.
    edited January 2015
    It's not just wow, there's rift where guild perks were a massive failure, ddo where guild perks were a massive failure. You're ignoring the lessons of history that other mmos that have come before have tried and failed. There is nothing intrinsically special about neverwinter or it's players that would cause the same things to work out any differently. You are stuck on your idea and don't seem to be able to recognize it's problems. I feel sorry for you because your only response is ad hominem attacks on people that don't agree with you, or to say that you need to be a guild leader to have an opinion on this. The fact is that anyone that has played mmos for a considerable period of time will have seen your systems before.

So when guild perks were introduced to other games are you saying people stopped playing them? It just made everything that bad? Did people stop playing? I remember when Wow took away just a few guild perks people were upset not saying HOORAY but they kept some others however you twisted into it was completely rid of. A simple google search for WOW and guild perks would show the real story.

In Neverwinter, it's already easy to level up quickly...so if there were experience boost for example, that isn't game breaking lol.

Neverwinter is different than WOW on many levels. Something like this if kept simple and implemented properly without too much saturation would work out here. WOW went overboard.
    edited January 2015
    So when guild perks were introduced to other games are you saying people stopped playing them? It just made everything that bad? Did people stop playing? I remember when Wow took away just a few guild perks people were upset not saying HOORAY but they kept some others however you twisted into it was completely rid of. A simple google search for WOW and guild perks would show the real story.

In Neverwinter, it's already easy to level up quickly...so if there were experience boost for example, that isn't game breaking lol.

Neverwinter is different than WOW on many levels. Something like this if kept simple and implemented properly without too much saturation would work out here. WOW went overboard.

Your rather stuck on my wow example, especially since it's farm more than just wow. Wow was just a top of my head example. As far as people leaving, yeah some did because of frustration with the system in each game I've mentioned. The games obviously didn't die like you seem to think I'm implying but they were hurt by it as the social systems were made worse.
  • jumboyetjumboyet Member Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I still dont understand why this game dosent have guild avatars that players can chose to use