test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Being accused for causing lag

clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
edited January 2015 in PvE Discussion
As many are already aware, Tiamat and some other encounters have massive lag, so bad that it sometimes leads to failure in Tiamat. In the chat there are some that say its the fault of burning guidance, astral seal, knights valour and perhaps there might be others. Does anyone have data that can verify this, I am not talking about you heard it from a friend or you once had lag and saw somebody use astral seal, I am talking about proper scientific experimentation with controlled groups.

Its getting beyond annoying now when people are shouting in chat or even wagging their fingers in unfriendly (to put it mildly) tells. Its bad enough if we cannot use some of our encounters or dailies, but if it turns out to be burning guidance thats a pretty big problem, because one has to either respec or seriously cripple ones cleric to make sure no healing ever occurs. Before I do this, I obviously would like to know if this is true. I am not going to blindly change what I do without evidence, I have had Tiamat encounters where there was no lag, so it cannot only be my burning guidance doing this.
Post edited by clericalist on

Comments

• Options
    koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    you can just test it on the HEs in well of dragons. invite someone, use seal on dragons, watch people qq.
    seal causing lag is not a rumor.
    you can just check NW history of lags relating to class powers and featsf.
    mod2 HR's power causes lag (I forgot the name)
    mod4 GFs are walking lagbots.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    you can just test it on the HEs in well of dragons. invite someone, use seal on dragons, watch people qq.
    seal causing lag is not a rumor..

Yes it is. It was ninja-fixed in the Tiamat patch. Stop blindly parroting old information. Alternatively, make a video demonstrating it on heralds, where it used to be trivial to reduce everyone to 0.5 fps, and we'll be convinced.

BTW, it involves more than just Astral Seal. Your information is both out of date and incomplete :)
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It was fixed? Hahah, yes, somewhat. It causes way less lag than before (and thank the god no longer those funny rollbacks :D) but I can still see people, including myself, cursing at moonwalk-type of lag. Tiamat already has a ton of memory leaks/other issues devastating fps, so no wonder the problem still persists.
    Also I heard KV may cause the same problem I don't know how though.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The primary cause of "rubber banding" has to do with predictive positioning of avatars by the server and actual positioning as reported by the client. The shear number of people "in range" to a player will have great impact on both: your computer and the server being able to keep-up with rendering all that data, causing your computer to 'choke' on drawing it all and the server to 'choke' trying to keep-up with all that dynamic data.

Any bugs (such as the one that *was* caused by the Astral Seal (which only happened when a certain feat was used)) only add to the issue.

"LAG" is 75- 85% your own computer and connection. This is fact. In large areas with a lot of people (like PE on a busy day, or in WoD) then rest is server load. Your best bet: change instance to one with fewer people.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    It was fixed? Hahah, yes, somewhat. It causes way less lag than before (and thank the god no longer those funny rollbacks :D) but I can still see people, including myself, cursing at moonwalk-type of lag. Tiamat already has a ton of memory leaks/other issues devastating fps, so no wonder the problem still persists.
    Also I heard KV may cause the same problem I don't know how though.

Luckily, players have the ability to educate KV users. If you're cursed with a GF using it, two or more people just need to stand in red/behind the red barrier for a few seconds. That will kill the GF very quickly, if he doesn't get a clue and turn it off.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    "LAG" is 75- 85% your own computer and connection. This is fact. In large areas with a lot of people (like PE on a busy day, or in WoD) then rest is server load. Your best bet: change instance to one with fewer people.

I would have to agree with this. We have 3 computers hooked up to the same router in my house. I get less lag in Tiamat when I am the only one on the computer than when the other two computers are also in use. This is one of the reason we are switching from DSL to cable internet. :)

Of course, there is still that roughly 20% of lag caused by the nature of the Tiamat instance . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes, it's mostly the DCs that have Burning Guidance, who are causing the lag, but the problem is actually a bit more complicated.

A single DC alone, can't cause lag for most ppl, not even a Virtuous DCs. But during Tiamat there is usually more than 1 DC in the instance and 5+ DCs with Burning Guidance can cause lag for most.

The FPS lag is not caused by DCs, that's caused by several issues affecting the game since mod 5's release, but what most ppl complain about is not an FPS lag, it's a network lag (1k+ ping, 10k+ received packets/sec).

Let me try to explain what's causing the problem experienced by most players, and how to solve it.

The problem is that Burning Guidance (BG) was designed for mod2 DCs, which had a lot less healing procs/sec. Since then, the number of heal procs/sec and the number of ppl using DoT builds have increased. In mod 2 you could proc on average around 2-3 BG ticks/sec/mob, which resulted in a pretty significant DPS increase for healer DCs without producing more hits/run then a GPF would do. In mod 5 they redesigned the DCs, allowing both Virtuous and Faithful DCs to produce a ton of small heals/sec, and since BG is proc'ed by heals the number of BG ticks have increased significantly.

During the last patch they lowered the proc rate from Shared Burdens, but left everything else unaffected, so the number of BG ticks/sec is still significantly higher than pre-mod5. BG is currently proced by everything that heals (encounters, feats, w/e).

Now to talk about what causes the network lag. The game has logging enabled by default, that means that everyone in a certain range will receive detailed information about everyone else's damage, heals, incoming damage. This is what allows for the game to have a log tab, to display on-screen other ppls damage, procs, etc, and ACT to function. The game also has a console command, which is required in order to log the above mentioned things to a file, which then is analyzed by ACT if one chooses to do so.

The problem is when you have a DC producing 1k hits/sec that's 1k lines of combat log everyone in your vicinity will receive, multiply that by the amount of DCs in your vicinity, add the hits produced by other players and you're already looking at 10k+ lines of combat log /sec with only 5 BG DC's in your vicinity. Even though a single line of combat log is less than 1 packet long, since they use compression, that's still a significant amount. With enough DC's and ppls with DoT builds in your vicinity that number goes up even higher to the point that it becomes a DoS (Denial-of-Service) attack. 10k+ packets/sec is more than what most consumer-grade networking equipment can handle, causing them to freeze.

Now imagine that everyone receives the same amount of packets/sec, that means that the backbones in-between you and the server can recognize it as a DoS attack, since they are receiving not 10k packets/sec, but millions/sec from a single source, so in order to protect themselves they throttle or drop packets. That's why client's of certain ISPs will have trouble playing the game at all, since the route they are being routed through is being throttled, causing lag, or is dropping packets, causing disconnects.

There are two quick fixes for this:
    1. Add an ICD of .5 sec to BG / mob. This will return the BG procs to pre-mod 5 proc rate and dps. A healer DC's job is to heal not DPS, so it doesn't really matter.
    2. Disable logging by default & retrospectively, so those who are interested can turn it on with "/CombatLog 1" just like now, while the others who never even checked the log tab, which is at least 50% of the player base, will not receive extra information, they'll just receive a summary log with enough information to update the HP bars and Paingiver/etc, instead of the detailed one that's just wasting resources for the most part.

Hope this helps understand the problem. Tried to keep it as simple as possible while still being informative.
  • Options
    pennkatpennkat Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I assumed it was too many people in the instance for the servers to handle. I can tell when the 5 dragons are up because the lag drops like a hammer. My assumption was that it was from people flocking to that instance or just all being in the same area. I tried tiamat once and people immediately dced and my lag was so bad for much of the fight I couldn't really play it. Basically unplayable content imo.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yes, it's mostly the DCs that have Burning Guidance, who are causing the lag, but the problem is actually a bit more complicated.

<clipped>

Hope this helps understand the problem. Tried to keep it as simple as possible while still being informative.

Wow! What a seriously in-depth analysis. I love stuff like this! :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The primary cause of "rubber banding" has to do with predictive positioning of avatars by the server and actual positioning as reported by the client. The shear number of people "in range" to a player will have great impact on both: your computer and the server being able to keep-up with rendering all that data, causing your computer to 'choke' on drawing it all and the server to 'choke' trying to keep-up with all that dynamic data.

Any bugs (such as the one that *was* caused by the Astral Seal (which only happened when a certain feat was used)) only add to the issue.

Actually, since Mod 5 launched there does appear to be some issue with the servers causing lag spikes which in turn leads to rubber-banding because of de-synchronisation between client and server. These bursts of lag spikes seem to be pretty random, of varying severity, and can come and go for no apparent reason. My ping typically rolls along between 130 and 200 but I now get periods where it will spike to >1100 for a second or so.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It is a weird one in Tiamat. A lot of the time once the fighting starts I get the 2k ping but then I can swap to another instance and have pretty much normal levels of Neverwinter lag. I figured its might be something to do with the instance because higher numbered ones I get less lag but that might be a coincidence thing. All Neverwinter instance aren't created equal as back in the day if the mods can tolerate the discussion of past exploits you could only jump through the walls of some Castle Never instances but not others. Or I figured it could be a player power thing like bajornbert was saying but you can't really pin that on anyone thing in a 25 man instance, or I couldn't. The burning guidance thing sounds plausible.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    1. Add an ICD of .5 sec to BG / mob. This will return the BG procs to pre-mod 5 proc rate and dps. A healer DC's job is to heal not DPS, so it doesn't really matter.

Ummm, NO.
    I'll not insult you by stating the obvious.
    'nuff said.
    pennkat wrote: »
    I assumed it was too many people in the instance for the servers to handle.
    You are summarizing exactly what bajornorbert said in the over-analysis. Which is true (too many players a single instance). The Devs have to find a way to make server data exchange more efficient, primarily with all the whiz-bang graphics, which is the primary curse.

Too many people means the server must *manage* all that dynamic data and transfer it from and to every single player in the instance. Your computer must munch on all that data on top of actually drawing all those pixels that drastically change many times-a-second.

Drop in FPS: your computer is wheezing; Rubberbanding: the server (and connection bandwidth) is wheezing. Current best fix you have direct control over: Change instance. Fewer people in instance = (somewhat) better experience. (Unfortunately: RoT require 25 people per instance, but changing zone instances is where you can improve your own experience.)

The log data has absolutely minimal (if any) impact; it's nowhere near the primary problem. The primary problem is all those 3D polygons that create all the mesh that must be constructed, textured, and drawn in perspective, then 'atmosphered' (lighting, haze, fog, etc) every 60 times a second (60 FPS). Multiply that by 25, where the server must give all that 3D drawing information to each and every player about the other 24 plus NPCs, Mobs, environment, whiz-bang fireworks... that's the top 5% of the "processing load" list. Your computer can't keep-up, it sacrifices FPS to be able to continuously do all that. In the movie-making world it's known as "dropped frames" to maintain timeline playback.

Hence: FPS drop.

Your client tells the server where you are and what you're doing. Server takes that information and passes it to the next player so HIS client can see where you are and what you're doing, then the server takes his data and passes it to your client. Server only does this maybe once or twice every second. Predictive positioning means if the server sees you running north it will presume you are running north and tell other players you are running north.

But if you turn west, the next time the server connects to your client it updates your position to be west of were you were, not north then updates the other players. If there are too many players there is a larger gap in time between server/client updates - more chance that the predictive positioning will be wrong. In this case: to other players you just "rubber-banded" to different position. (Bandwidth latency causes the exact same issue, but in that case it's only the specific player and it's not the server's fault)

Now imagine server doing this for five players: that's four additional positional updates for each player, which takes server time to accomplish. Now imagine 25 players... you get the idea.

Hence: Rubberbanding.

Logs are analog text data. How long does it take for an email to go from Outbox to mail server? How long does it take for flashy-pixel-candy web page to load? How long does it take before a YouTube video starts to play? See the difference?

Analog text data is minuscule information for the server, client, and bandwidth to handle. To presume otherwise is laughable at best.
  • Options
    bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    <snip>

I specifically said healer DC.

Other than that. I get what you are saying, that's too true, but was mostly the case pre-mod5. The FPS drop due to too many things to draw is a problem too, but that's totally different from the issue described by me, the network freeze. If you turn on netgraph while your having serious issues playing, you'll see that you ping suddenly went from 100-200 to 3k+ and the incoming packets/sec from a few hundred to several 10k. The most i've seen was 150k packets/sec, even at 512 bytes /packet, which is less than an actual packet, that's more than 70MB of data being transfered per second, that's more then the bandwidth of the majority of players and 150k packets is certainly a lot more than a $.10 onboard network card or the average player's CPU can handle. That amount of traffic needs very high-end PCs and/or at least prosumer-grade equipment, which most players don't have.

I know that log is just data, but when you're trying to send way too much data / sec, the data will become the issue, since you'll stop receiving up-to-date data from the server to work with.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Gosh I just love exchange of good information and facts. :)

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I know that log is just data, but when you're trying to send way too much data / sec, the data will become the issue, since you'll stop receiving up-to-date data from the server to work with.

I agree! My point is that the log data is less than 0.05% of ALL the data that has to be transmitted and constructed by each machine. (Okay: 0.05% is an exaggeration, just making my point! LOL)

All in all - I agree, and we all know the current iteration of RoT is a serious hot-mess and needs some genuine fixing: bugs and player-experience. I'm sure the studio has multiple Devs from multiple teams on this. And I get it: shouting out our frustrations as with this and other threads helps us to cope; because sometimes it just helps to feel a little better to 'talk about it". :)
  • Options
    nyetdiemnyetdiem Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2014
    Lots of good info here & great ideas.

But on a personal level, try using /unlit 1 in your chat bar to help against lag & rubberbanding. It's not the perfect solution, but it does help in intensive instances such as MC & Tiamat. Use /unlit 0 to return to normal afterwards.

Alternately, try turning off the damage/heal numbers so your screen isn't as cluttered.

These are just ideas to try to make sure that it's not simply your connection.

Not disagreeing with those above, as the issues are very real, nonetheless these would be the most common things to try first.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I agree! My point is that the log data is less than 0.05% of ALL the data that has to be transmitted and constructed by each machine. (Okay: 0.05% is an exaggeration, just making my point! LOL)

All in all - I agree, and we all know the current iteration of RoT is a serious hot-mess and needs some genuine fixing: bugs and player-experience. I'm sure the studio has multiple Devs from multiple teams on this. And I get it: shouting out our frustrations as with this and other threads helps us to cope; because sometimes it just helps to feel a little better to 'talk about it". :)

It's got nothing to do with the machine because what bajorn is talking about is netlag. You're talking about vidlag. Those two are different.

The lag that happens in tiamat is netlag, not vidlag.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    twitticlestwitticles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited December 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with the machine because what bajorn is talking about is netlag. You're talking about vidlag. Those two are different.

The lag that happens in tiamat is netlag, not vidlag.
    Assuming we're talking about the extreme stuttering and halfminute-long drops down well below 1 fps that alot of players have been complaining about as of Tiamat's appearance, this is not caused by network congestion. The very quick-and-dirty fix to this issue, which seems to work fine for most players, is to slash your graphics settings, turning most things to low or off. This could certainly be fine tuned to figure out which settings actually are required to drop but I reckon few players are overly keen to do that work for Cryptic. If this issue had been network-related, dropping the client-side graphics settings would not have had any noticeable effect.

The zone-wide rubberband fest we all enjoyed as we began fighting the WoD HEs, which as pointed out was related to Burning Guidance, certainly was/is a network issue however.

It's certainly tricky to separate some of the issues players are experiencing because the average player calls anything from local ISP latency, poor WiFi connectivity or outdated/overheating hardware to actual client or server issues "lag".
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That is all "lag".

And these should all be posted in "bugs" with system spec info, or tickets should be filed. Cause unless Sprite is wrong, there is no be all fix for it.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    velynnavelynna Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As many are already aware, Tiamat and some other encounters have massive lag, so bad that it sometimes leads to failure in Tiamat. In the chat there are some that say its the fault of burning guidance....

Burning guidance on DCs is still causing lag, although they tried to fix it. Do everyone a favour and specc out of it; I did on my DC and it helps a lot.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Something is very wrong with the Tiamat instance. The server itself is producing heavy network lag/hiccups ever since Mod 5 in peak times, and their account server maintenance shortly after the launch didn't help much, and additionally you have hardware lag in the fight.

I personally would simply unslot all spells that generate heavy DoTs or HoTs like Astral Seal, KV and sorts. Not sure it helps, but it's not like you absolutely need those in the instance. As GF I can say that KV has caused no issues so far for me personally at least, but something is as I just came out of a Tiamat fight where I literally couldn't move due to hardware lag starting with 1:00 left in every heads phase. That's called a pattern and they have to fix it on their end.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The OP's original point is very valid - I don't have Burning Guidance; but the amount of abuse in WoD that the clerics are taking right now is getting a bit out of hand. I've been called all sorts of 'chat filtered' names, told to get the h*** out of the encounter, instance, etc.

I'm glad to hear that astral seal was fixed. TBH, I didn't think that it was a problem; the lag I've experienced has been 'normal-horrible' for me in any Cryptic game that has a lot of action going on, whether I'm using Astral Seal or not. However, the one time I tried Bastion of Health, the instance just slowed to a crawl. Could be a coincidence because there were other DC's in the fight, and maybe there was Burning Guidance proccing all over.

Certainly *something* causes additional lag all over the instance. I was once standing in the center during the heralds fight, and couldn't walk from the fire to the vendor at all - after several rubber-banding instances the chat was filled with 'DC's just get out' and I actually got a tell from someone calling me names and telling me not to play the game anymore. I just changed instances, and the lag evened out.

I'm really hopeful that the memory leak patch today helps this issue. I find I get less lag if I completely turn off the computer (not reboot) to clear all memory after playing NW for any period of time. Also much better after I turned video post-processing. I'm going to try turning off the log and see if that helps as well, although the server drag will still be present, at least my data pipeline won't be clogged with unnecessary traffic.
  • Options
    totenkopf77totenkopf77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The OP's original point is very valid - I don't have Burning Guidance; but the amount of abuse in WoD that the clerics are taking right now is getting a bit out of hand. I've been called all sorts of 'chat filtered' names, told to get the h*** out of the encounter, instance, etc.

I'm glad to hear that astral seal was fixed. TBH, I didn't think that it was a problem; the lag I've experienced has been 'normal-horrible' for me in any Cryptic game that has a lot of action going on, whether I'm using Astral Seal or not. However, the one time I tried Bastion of Health, the instance just slowed to a crawl. Could be a coincidence because there were other DC's in the fight, and maybe there was Burning Guidance proccing all over.

Certainly *something* causes additional lag all over the instance. I was once standing in the center during the heralds fight, and couldn't walk from the fire to the vendor at all - after several rubber-banding instances the chat was filled with 'DC's just get out' and I actually got a tell from someone calling me names and telling me not to play the game anymore. I just changed instances, and the lag evened out.

I'm really hopeful that the memory leak patch today helps this issue. I find I get less lag if I completely turn off the computer (not reboot) to clear all memory after playing NW for any period of time. Also much better after I turned video post-processing. I'm going to try turning off the log and see if that helps as well, although the server drag will still be present, at least my data pipeline won't be clogged with unnecessary traffic.

Ignore them. There isn't a shred of proof against the DC powers in any of this trolling nonsense. The ignore function is your friend in regards to ignorant players and chat. I main a DC and have no issues even though I use every power the trolls claim to be the culprit.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thanks - I guess I need to use that function a bit more often. Get a bit burned out while in PE. :)
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Ignore them. There isn't a shred of proof against the DC powers in any of this trolling nonsense. The ignore function is your friend in regards to ignorant players and chat. I main a DC and have no issues even though I use every power the trolls claim to be the culprit.

But a few days ago there was a lot of lag caused by DC and prior to that was from KV(facts that were admitted and solved by devs). Now they are still in the collective mind and will take a bit of time to go away.
    I remember when noone would invite me in a grp cause i was a GWF and all GWFs were bad by default.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    After some testing I can confirm that Astral Seal indeed is the guilty party for some lag problems again.

If multiple DCs cast AS on the heads lag will get worse and worse over time. Especially in one fight I could directly connect the amount of AS's on the target to massive lag. I assume that the longer the head phase, the more DoTs and stuff trigger AS which is simply too much.
  • Options
    plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    so its the burning guidance? (astral seal)
    cause some complained about astral shield? (I find it very effective in tiamat)
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    it was never astral Shield.

that's just people parroting what they heard and they heard "AS+BG" causes lag and they figured people meant Astral Shield.

It was Astral Seal+ Burning Guidance + Shared Burdens. The dev's ninja fixed Shared Burdens and some of the lag issues went away, but not all of them.

Bajorn's post on page 1 perfectly describes what is happening and why you are having lag. However it is more complicated than just packets. The server itself isn't a magical box where everything is processed instantly. Each interaction requires cpu time to process, and if a single action on the client generates enough packets to slow down your network traffic just imagine what it's doing to duty cycles on the server's cpus.
  • Options
    gwynny2gwynny2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You know what else would really help diminish the lag in Tiamat? If people would stop "zerging". The fight wasn't designed that way, and we're all suffering the consequence, with DCs currently taking the brunt of the abuse.
  • Options
    merlinmctavmerlinmctav Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's interesting being a cleric isn't it!
    I was just in Tiamat and got told by 3 different people (including one prat who made the comment "probably too stupid to understand") to stop using Astral Shield. Yes, that's right, Astral Shield, not Astral Seal (and I'm too stupid to understand ;) ). At that point there wasn't actually any lag in the instance either. I don't have either burning guidance or shared burdens by the way.

In another instance I got yelled at for using Astral Seal when there was some lag. The only problem was that I never actually used it.

I can believe that astral seal contributes to the lag in Tiamat. Along with all the other debuffs that also get cast on the heads, so I don't tend to use it as it isn't really necessary.
    You really have to have a thick skin though - lol.
This discussion has been closed.