test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Calling out our lovely D&D experts (Vampire class)

notsheriffsrsnotsheriffsrs Banned Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
Hello my beautiful community !

I don't know jack **** about D&D so help me out with my curiosity here.

It's about the Vampire class. Imagine (Imagine) it gets introduced to NW. How would the results be against the existing classes in an 1v1 fight? This is about PVP 1v1 here, not talking about 5v5 utility, but 1v1.

VS CW
VS GWF
VS GF
VS SW
VS TR
VS HR
VS DC

Thoughts ?
Post edited by notsheriffsrs on

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Vampirism is an infliction, not a class. In Neverwinter, it would need to be a race, not a class. Better yet, it would need to be introduced how it is in D&D, as an infliction with pros and cons. Vampire player characters (and some NPCs) still have classes in D&D.
  • notsheriffsrsnotsheriffsrs Banned Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Vampirism is an infliction, not a class. In Neverwinter, it would need to be a race, not a class. Better yet, it would need to be introduced how it is in D&D, as an infliction with pros and cons. Vampire player characters (and some NPCs) still have classes in D&D.

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Vampire
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Which is horrible 4th edition that has now been fixed in 5th. Let's not forget to mention too that that class isn't even native to the Forgotten Realms, where Vampires have always had classes. Case in point, Jander Sunstar.

Also, in the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, which is what we're effectively in right now, Vampires are once again a monster and not a class.
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Which is horrible 4th edition that has now been fixed in 5th. Let's not forget to mention too that that class isn't even native to the Forgotten Realms, where Vampires have always had classes. Case in point, Jander Sunstar.

Also, in the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, which is what we're effectively in right now, Vampires are once again a monster and not a class.

The game we are playing is based on 4th Edition rules, like it or not. So, as much as I hate it, the OP has a point.

Personally, I am NOT in favor of a Vampire Class in any way, shape or form. I appologize to the OP, I respect your opinion that the Vampire Class is in 4th Edition and should be considered for a Class option in Neverwinter, but I dearly hope that all the other possible classes available to the Devs take precedence.
  • notsheriffsrsnotsheriffsrs Banned Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    tickdoff wrote: »
    The game we are playing is based on 4th Edition rules, like it or not. So, as much as I hate it, the OP has a point.

Personally, I am NOT in favor of a Vampire Class in any way, shape or form. I appologize to the OP, I respect your opinion that the Vampire Class is in 4th Edition and should be considered for a Class option in Neverwinter, but I dearly hope that all the other possible classes available to the Devs take precedence.

I just want you guys to tell me what do you think if they faced off the current classes.

Is it that hard?
    edited November 2014

Neverwinter is actually it's own edition. Never-the-less, we have moved forward with lore into 5th edition. So, to make them a class now would go against 5th edition, and Hoard of the Dragon Queen lore. WotC won't allow anyone to meddle in their lore and with Ed, Salvatore, and others back in charge of the lore... yeah, I don't see vampirism regressing back to a class.

I just want you guys to tell me what do you think if they faced off the current classes.

Is it that hard?

There's no way to know, as we don't have any specifics on what they would be like in Neverwinter. Besides, they'd be like any encounter or player. You'd have to find their weaknesses and protect against their strengths while they're doing the same.

So, if I have to answer such a question. I'd say they're all equal as long as they're all equally skilled and geared.
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited November 2014

It may be BASED(very loosely) on 4thed rules, but it is set In Forgotten realms. One of this games biggest selling points is its IP. It would seriously be jumping the shark to introduce a vampire class that totally violates the setting lore.

There are many many setting common classes that have not been developed (Paladin,Monk, Druid, Bard, ad nauseum). Cryptic would have to be insane not to develop these setting rich classes in favor of a 'class' people here for the lore and setting would be apauled at.

As Zeb has mentioned, vampires are not even a race but an affliction. Heck, in the Dragon Rage books there was even a dragon vampire. Lets not forget Manshoon the human vampire archwizard.
  • zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah i would love to have option to do some quest storyline to get infected by vampirism at the last quest, even hard or ad-consuming (1mln in total for some assets to quests? im willing to pay!) quests. Like Zeb said, it should give some pros and cons, please Devs, do somthing right at least once, and introduce this option to NW online!

• frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Even if they were a class you can't predict how they'll be.
    GFs were the most useless tanks
    HRs were more tanky than tanks, a class you'd presume was squishy
    SWs did more healing for the team than DCs
    TRs became mediocre strikers
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It would be real simple. You become a vampire for all of 15 seconds. Then you step into the ever present daylight of PE and explode. It would be pretty dull playing a class confined to only Blacklake, Neverdeath, and Vellosk.
    edited November 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    It would be real simple. You become a vampire for all of 15 seconds. Then you step into the ever present daylight of PE and explode. It would be pretty dull playing a class confined to only Blacklake, Neverdeath, and Vellosk.
    Daylight rings! Oh, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>... *blushes* I've said too much... my secret is out.
  • jonandre1jonandre1 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Vampires (the class from the Heroes of Shadow book) only took damage from direct sunlight if they didn't have protective clothing like a cloak. So I'd imagine hooded cloaks would be a class feature. (And I can just imagine the complaints. "Vampires get hooded cloaks, why can't the rest of us!!!" Answer: Class feature. You want a hooded cloak? Play a vampire.)

But the real problem with 4E vampires is that they start with only ONE healing surge. Whereas even the weakest class got five or six, the vampire got one. They could claim one more by using their encounter power to drain life, doing damage via melee attack and gaining one healing surge. And only one. Oh, and they could also use allies' healing surges -- basically, during a short rest, you could feed on allies to regain hit points.

Since Neverwinter doesn't use healing surges, that's a pretty moot mechanic, and the vampire becomes another stealth-based striker like the Rogue. Well, you may as well just call your Rogue a vampire and go with that. So, how would they work against other classes?

I'm thinking, like a Rogue.
    Is Vampire in D&D anything like Vampire in Oblivion or Skyrim? if it is then I'm sold on the class , I used to love sneaking into towns and freaking out the locals then wiping out the local defense force if I got discovered in Elder scrolls games xD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • jonandre1jonandre1 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Oh dear lord no. It's just another class. One that takes damage in direct sunlight (without a cloak on) and drinks the blood of living creatures -- but there are other classes which can be even worse. It all depends on how you play it. I can be a terrifying vampire, but I can also be a terrifying druid or bard. Your reign of terror will last as long as the DM lets it. Which, for a player character, usually is not very long.

And for a good-oriented campaign like Neverwinter, will be nonexistent. You would have to play a Good vampire, because we can't be bad guys.

If you liked the vampire from the Elder Scrolls games, you would HATE them for D&D. Hate them with a passion. Kill-it-with-fire passion.
    *sighs*

I will never comprehend this irrational line of thinking which continues to infest the forums day in and day out. Vampires are the trend of the last few years which school girls falling in love with sparkly vampires and shows like True Blood making enough gore and risque conduct to appease the men as well as the decent mix of the two settings that Zeb alluded to earlier known as the Vampire Diaries have been highly successful...

That is not D&D.

When you open up any Monster Manual from any edition under the index you will always find Vampires. They are a MONSTER.

Thinking that because they finally added a single vampire in the game means they will be playable is about as logical as thinking we'll be able to play the game as a lich since Valindra is in the game. In truth it's a travesty they weren't added sooner since, although not being as iconic to D&D as a dragon, they are very much a staple to D&D.

Thay, for instance, is an area which reveres undead. The zombie thralls show this to an extent but it doesn't come close to the reality of the situation. Most of the rulers of Thay are either lich or vampires and in order to be a respected leader by most of high ranking citizens of Thay you must be undead. High ranking families are known to try to befriend and aid vampires just for the glimmer of hope that the vampire might one day turn them.

Despite the Thay lore, though, they are a MONSTER. Period.
    Vampirism isn't some state which only effects the body. It consumes the soul. The person you were in life dies when you become a vampire. This isn't a setting where vampires sparkle in the daylight. It's a game which will have vampires suck their bests friends dry without remorse.

This is beyond the obvious issues such as the fact daylight rings DO NOT exist in D&D and unlike Blade you won't find sunblock the mildest bit effective. When you are a vampire you are a monster.

Whether you are a race, class or status effect you are a vampire. A monster. You will be attacked on sight if people discover your true nature. You will burn in the daylight. You will require blood from high races every night.

People like playing the monsters...that's awesome...
    I like playing monsters too. I love playing as drow who can come from the underdark and raid surface towns.

What I can't stand is people thinking that a rare status should be given to every player especially when the game doesn't permit them to act appropriately. It is bad enough having every drow in the game being forced to be Drizzt Do'Urden since we do not have separate starting locations or story arcs.

What I can't stand even more than that is to do so haphazardly and think it's not in the least bit unrealistic to ask for it. Do yourself a favor and READ the rules. Even though over the course of time they have released rules for playing a vampire it might as well had disclaimers with big red letters written all over it that said...

1) This is not a common <whatever> and your DM and the rest of your group must agree to let you use this ruleset.
    2) Your DM better give you hell at every turn for this decision
    3) If you have a DM that isn't completely incompetent you will end up killing your entire party because everybody in the world is going to try to kill you, especially priests.
    4) Vampires don't sparkle...therefore you ARE evil. Act it.

Please stop asking to play kobolds, vampires, gnolls, minotaurs and whatever other MONSTER you decide to fancy for the day. It's really, in truth, disrespectful to the real fans of the genre.
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Even if they were a class you can't predict how they'll be.
    GFs were the most useless tanks
    HRs were more tanky than tanks, a class you'd presume was squishy
    SWs did more healing for the team than DCs
    TRs became mediocre strikers

DCs seeing their healing privileges revoked
    GWFs turned into squishy roadrunners wearing palette knives
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ehm, I´m an hardcore D&D fan and would welcome a Vampire class (actually having a Vampire sitting in the Well could be an hint?).
    Vampire as a class works well story-wise as well (the "older" you grow, the stronger you become).
    Speculating about the strenghts of a class without seeing it is impossible though...
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    edited November 2014
    Please stop asking to play kobolds, vampires, gnolls, minotaurs and whatever other MONSTER you decide to fancy for the day. It's really, in truth, disrespectful to the real fans of the genre.

TBH I´ve seen so many opinions in almost 30 years of D&D play that I don´t think the "genre" actually exists...
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    *sighs*

I will never comprehend this irrational line of thinking which continues to infest the forums day in and day out. Vampires are the trend of the last few years which school girls falling in love with sparkly vampires and shows like True Blood making enough gore and risque conduct to appease the men as well as the decent mix of the two settings that Zeb alluded to earlier known as the Vampire Diaries have been highly successful...

That is not D&D.

When you open up any Monster Manual from any edition under the index you will always find Vampires. They are a MONSTER.

Thinking that because they finally added a single vampire in the game means they will be playable is about as logical as thinking we'll be able to play the game as a lich since Valindra is in the game. In truth it's a travesty they weren't added sooner since, although not being as iconic to D&D as a dragon, they are very much a staple to D&D.

Thay, for instance, is an area which reveres undead. The zombie thralls show this to an extent but it doesn't come close to the reality of the situation. Most of the rulers of Thay are either lich or vampires and in order to be a respected leader by most of high ranking citizens of Thay you must be undead. High ranking families are known to try to befriend and aid vampires just for the glimmer of hope that the vampire might one day turn them.

Vampirism isn't some state which only effects the body. It consumes the soul. The person you were in life dies when you become a vampire. This isn't a setting where vampires sparkle in the daylight. It's a game which will have vampires suck their bests friends dry without remorse.

This is beyond the obvious issues such as the fact daylight rings DO NOT exist in D&D and unlike Blade you won't find sunblock the mildest bit effective. When you are a vampire you are a monster.

Whether you are a race, class or status effect you are a vampire. A monster. You will be attacked on sight if people discover your true nature. You will burn in the daylight. You will require blood from high races every night.

I like playing monsters too. I love playing as drow who can come from the underdark and raid surface towns.

What I can't stand is people thinking that a rare status should be given to every player especially when the game doesn't permit them to act appropriately. It is bad enough having every drow in the game being forced to be Drizzt Do'Urden since we do not have separate starting locations or story arcs.

What I can't stand even more than that is to do so haphazardly and think it's not in the least bit unrealistic to ask for it. Do yourself a favor and READ the rules. Even though over the course of time they have released rules for playing a vampire it might as well had disclaimers with big red letters written all over it that said...

1) This is not a common <whatever> and your DM and the rest of your group must agree to let you use this ruleset.
    3) If you have a DM that isn't completely incompetent you will end up killing your entire party because everybody in the world is going to try to kill you, especially priests.

LOL! Nice! That was an awesome discourse! Bravo!
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    *sighs*

That is not D&D.

Quoting this again because simply saying, I agree, isn't enough of a statement of agreement.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sparkly vampires

vampires sparkle too???!?!!?! XD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    if anything it would be a race... and one i hope they do not release in my lifetime xD

This isn't twilight, this is dungeons and dragons.
  • ngeluzngeluz Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Its a good thing that Community Moderators have no real influence what so ever of the content is gonna come out... Truth be told if it makes them more Money and brings more paying customer players they will do it.

Maybe it may not happen maybe it will, yet I be overjoy to just imagine your expression if it does happen... and since Neverwinter IS an edition on its own it wont matter, I'm sure the people in charge of that stuff will think of a good story for it...

No matter how long discourse you make, or how much you try to explain, or discourage it... People will keep asking for it because its there, they like it, its in Lore (even if it brakes it) and will keep at it...

Anyway, going back to the OP comment that our friend mention, I say it be like any other striker class, with weakness, strengths and unique abilities of its own... If you like to see which of those are, just look up Heroes of Shadow 4th Edition of D&D, there it details more information and will help you visualize a little how it would fare against the other classes.

NOTE: Oh and be mindful and ready to get a bit of resistance, of posting more of 4th edition rare classes like does here, as you can see there seem to be a bit of one sided zealous option on the matter and we don't want them to have a heart attack, we still need our Community Moderators, also don't get discourage that's not their intention as they are only trying to clarify the subject, so keep posting the forums have eyes,ears beyond what people may think. ;)
    edited November 2014
    ngeluz wrote: »
    Its a good thing that Community Moderators have no real influence what so ever of the content is gonna come out... Truth be told if it makes them more Money and brings more paying customer players they will do it.

Maybe it may not happen maybe it will, yet I be overjoy to just imagine your expression if it does happen... and since Neverwinter IS an edition on its own it wont matter, I'm sure the people in charge of that stuff will think of a good story for it...

No matter how long discourse you make, or how much you try to explain, or discourage it... People will keep asking for it because its there, they like it, its in Lore (even if it brakes it) and will keep at it...

Anyway, going back to the OP comment that our friend mention, I say it be like any other striker class, with weakness, strengths and unique abilities of its own... If you like to see which of those are, just look up Heroes of Shadow 4th Edition of D&D, there it details more information and will help you visualize a little how it would fare against the other classes.

NOTE: Oh and be mindful and ready to get a bit of resistance, of posting more of 4th edition rare classes like does here, as you can see there seem to be a bit of one sided zealous option on the matter and we don't want them to have a heart attack, we still need our Community Moderators, also don't get discourage that's not their intention as they are only trying to clarify the subject, so keep posting the forums have eyes,ears beyond what people may think. ;)
    Hardly a heart attack moment. I think I was pretty calm and rational in my explanations. I just find it remarkably silly that people will stick to Vampires being a Class when in all but one edition of D&D, they have been an affliction/monster, not a class. 4th edition was the only edition they were a class and we are now done with 4th. We are now into the corrected 5th edition lore that was fixed by the creator and authors of the Forgotten Realms.

To regress and go back to 4th edition's lore on Vampires would go against the very lore of the Realms. Which is something I cannot see Ed Greenwood or Salvatore allowing again, since they are and have fixed the blunders made in 4th when WotC tried to take over the lore from them. The Realms are now back in the hands of their creator and notable authors.
  • rarefactionrarefaction Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Imagine...a Protector's Enclave protecting the vampires from the dreaded sunshine full of coffins and graveyards. The Moonstone Mask would become the vampire club. Might be interesting for role players. There are some cool possibilities that could come of it.

For those who want to turn vampire, climb up a new vampire daily tree. Then the epic ending quest of when you turn vampire in a cult like fashion where your body is transformed. Oh think of the ceremonies in the new vampire club. May spark interest and gain more new members. In this respect, it should be a path you choose and not an easy one.

Naturally, Protectors Enclave wouldn't change for just vampires although that would be cool so you could have a story line that gives the vampire a magic cloak of protection from the sun that automatically fastens to their current gear (storyline...)

Have either strict vampire rules or come up with plots to make it more lenient so the vamps can just play the game normally without consequences although, consequences will bring forth all sorts of complaining, it will be fun to those who want to be more aware of their surroundings and can actually be beneficial to players in the long run as it may enhance skill.

Vampire would be fun.
  • rarefactionrarefaction Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    *sighs*

That is not D&D.

Oh wow look! When did Simon Cowell decide to become a moderator for a MMO forum? Wow, charmed really I am.

Anyways...so out of curiousity your royal D&D highness...Drow Elf...monster or no?
    edited November 2014
    Oh wow look! When did Simon Cowell decide to become a moderator for a MMO forum? Wow, charmed really I am.

Anyways...so out of curiousity your royal D&D highness...Drow Elf...monster or no?

He is right. I have been playing D&D since 1977. Maybe he got a bit emotional, but I do see his point. All of the "romanticizing" of vampires (and werewolves) in modern books and movies is ridiculous to me, as I am a purist when it comes to lore and legends.

The Drow started as a monster but later became a playable race - and it worked well following the various D&D storylines.

Could Ambi have said things differently? Probably, but I think his intent was very good, just let some pent-up emotion become part of the response. Simple mistake.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
    edited November 2014
    So did the Vampire... unfortunately 4th ed is over.
    edited November 2014
    Team Vampire vs Team Werewolf . . .

Man, I thought I was going to lose my mind when all that Twilight fascination was at peak levels. I found myself thinking a lot about silver bullets and wooden stakes . . .

• ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hardly a heart attack moment. I think I was pretty calm and rational in my explanations. I just find it remarkably silly that people will stick to Vampires being a Class when in all but one edition of D&D, they have been an affliction/monster, not a class. 4th edition was the only edition they were a class and we are now done with 4th. We are now into the corrected 5th edition lore that was fixed by the creator and authors of the Forgotten Realms.

To regress and go back to 4th edition's lore on Vampires would go against the very lore of the Realms. Which is something I cannot see Ed Greenwood or Salvatore allowing again, since they are and have fixed the blunders made in 4th when WotC tried to take over the lore from them. The Realms are now back in the hands of their creator and notable authors.

Well, let me pose this question.....What about Ravenloft. How does the 5th ED deal with things over there. Or do they at all.
    You have to realize my knowledge of D&D dates back to the 3rd edition, honestly maybe more 2nd edition with 3rd coming out right as I became more interested in other things.
This discussion has been closed.