test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is everyone an NPC?

shalicefoxshalicefox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I have been playing for about a good 2 weeks or so, and I have been noticing, no one ever talks in this game, at all! Now don't get me wrong I am not saying people are not friendly, they help if you are in trouble, heal you if you needed, ect, but no one ever talks. I think the one and only time I remember even seeing someone type even two words was back when I was around 20 doing a dungeon and we had one person D/C and the other was afk for so long we had to vote kick after we sat at the boss for 5mins and even then it was more of a, "can we do this with 3 people?" with me going, "worth a try, we made it this far."

I really like the game and everything, but it feels like I am in a game full of NPCs. I got this game back when it first came out and I remember seeing people talk more often then not and it was nice, now a year or so back later and I have never been in a game with so many people around and yet feel like I am the only player. Did I miss something? Is everyone on some big group chat channel? Or do people really talk at all?

Game seems like it has a really cool community for as little to no talking that is going on but, as the 3rd week starts to kick in it is starting to creep me out!
Post edited by shalicefox on

Comments

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Have you tried talking to someone first?
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • shalicefoxshalicefox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    A good few times now only to feel awkward when in a big group and no one says anything, one of the reasons I asked if people are hanging out in some other channel and never look at anything else?
  • aesharaaeshara Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    joined a guild?
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    - The content is so easy, whats to talk about lol.
    - The content is so easy, everyone wants to go fast - chatting takes time.
    - Its an action MMO that relies heavily on not being in a specific spot. If you dont dodge, you usually die (which is considered a challenge).

Joint he channel in my sig, and you'll find mostly nice people willing to converse (not to mention, GS-less groups that don't kick you when a belt drops).
  • shalicefoxshalicefox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    aeshara wrote: »
    joined a guild?

I'd love to, but kind of hard one no one talks :(
    edited November 2014
    - The content is so easy, whats to talk about lol.
    - The content is so easy, everyone wants to go fast - chatting takes time.
    - Its an action MMO that relies heavily on not being in a specific spot. If you dont dodge, you usually die (which is considered a challenge).

Joint he channel in my sig, and you'll find mostly nice people willing to converse (not to mention, GS-less groups that don't kick you when a belt drops).

Many thanks! And will do!
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Have you seen PE zone chat? It gets so horrible, I have to turn it off.

You don't see many people talk in questing zones or even in groups. If you want to talk, then try to strike up a conversation, but normally in dungeon pugs, you are there to do the dungeon. You aren't there to have a picnic.

There is also a language barrier. This is an International server. Not everyone reads/writes/or understands English.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    In dungeons and suchlike people usually have more important things to do than chat. General bull****ting is primarily done in the Enclave zonechat, where it then goes on more or less nonstop 24/7.
  • fexchipfexchip Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Join the channel in my sig, and you'll find mostly nice people willing to converse (not to mention, GS-less groups that don't kick you when a belt drops).

I did this it is a really good channel.

I chat up random people all the time it is how my friends list grows. My guild isn't overly large (just some good friends but growing with new ones) so we all aren't on at the same time but my friends online at any given time could be over 20 and most if not all of them (given they aren't busy) will join to go on any type of adventure.
    I generally as a rule accept all friend request. I only unfriend them if they are a bit too much. Usually it ends up an ignore though.
    Miss running dungeons...
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    1) Why yes I am
    2) Of course not, why would you say such a thing!
    3) Goodbye!
    edited November 2014
    yeah I get it in say a dungeon or questing, but even in town it feels like a ghost town but with a ton of people running around. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to stop and tell a whole life story or something, but when I mean no one talk I mean not at all! I mean I have been in MMOs where people don't talk, but normally that is a MMO with very little people in it, but to be in one with so many people around and see nothing at all? I have been on a ton of international severs and still see a good 4 or 6 people talking at some point even if I have no idea what they are talking about.

Like I said, don't get me wrong I am not looking for a group meeting, just wondering if anyone talked at all. Heck in another 2 weeks I was gonna starting wondering if I found the mother of all bots hanging out XD
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    shalicefox wrote: »
    but even in town it feels like a ghost town but with a ton of people running around.

You need to check your chat options. Make sure you didn't accidentally turn off any channels or put yourself on a different tab, such as Log. PE is not a ghost town. People there talk non-stop.

Do you see these channels?

Zone
    Looking for Group
    Trade

Those are the primary default channels set in your chat box.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ...have you turned the general chat off or something?
  • leandreav1leandreav1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You... *obviously* don't have zone chat turned on.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    No one talks because there is little reason to talk (well there is in PVP but pugs will be pugs).

I suggest joining a big guild. That helps the experience a whole lot imo.
  • kabinoleskabinoles Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    do want too see ppl talk,say I have beer and cookie
  • cnxicnxi Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    When me and my buddy started playing, we were often doing dungeons while leveling and were also creeped out, cause no one talked, or responded in /party. We were joking how they must be zombies or something. It left us puzzled. Things changed at 60 though, not much, but at least a wow level hi/hello at start. In pvp people were bashing each other quite often tho, so that felt lively:)

I guess new players haven't really figured out how to chat in various channels /p and so on, that may be the reason.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    I chat all the time in zone, say, guild, group, and custom channels. I see chat scrolling all the time in PE (zone/lfg/emotes) and in custom community chat channels. I'm really not sure what you're talking about or how you're coming to this conclusion, except to assume you have Zone and other Channels hidden from being displayed in chat.

However, most players I know and play with use RaidCall or TeamSpeak, so our chatting in game by typing is usually minimal in such groups or atmospheres.