test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hey I just closed Neverwinter! Why did the patcher open? - An explanation

akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
edited November 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys,

In preparation for our upcoming expansion, we've enabled what's called "pre-patching". Pre-patching allows your client to receive the expansion patch *before* it comes out. That way, you won't have to sit and wait for your client to patch when M5 goes live.

One thing to note: pre-patching will *not* enable you to play the new content before it goes live. What it will do is save you time on November 18th when Module 5 comes out!

Another thing to note: you *will* be able to play Neverwinter whether or not you download the pre-patch.

I've included some frequently asked questions to alleviate any further confusion:

Q: My patcher just opened even though I just closed Neverwinter.
A: Yes, this is called pre-patching (see above). It's a time-saving process that makes it so you can download the Module 5 patch beforehand. This way, you won't have to wait a long time to play Neverwinter when Module 5 launches.

Q: I downloaded the pre-patch, will I still be able to access Neverwinter in the days leading up to Module 5's launch?
A: Yes, you will still be able to access Neverwinter if you download the pre-patch.

Q: I can download the patch early? Does this mean I can access the Rise of Tiamat content early?
A: No. It only means you won't have to wait to play Module 5 when it goes live.

Q: I don't want to download the pre-patch. Can I still play Neverwinter?
A: Of course. You will be able to play Neverwinter whether or not you downloaded the pre-patch. Of course, when Module 5 releases, you will have to download the patch one way or another.

Q: I don't like this. I would rather wait to patch on launch day.
A: Not a problem! Just close the patcher when it tries to pre-patch and you'll be fine. You will still be able to play Neverwinter and you will still be able to pre-patch if you change your mind.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Does this mean that there's no more changes planned for the preview server?
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    i thought if i had have DL'd the preview patches it would prepatch too?
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    akromatik wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Q: I don't want to download the pre-patch. Can I still play Neverwinter?
    A: Of course. You will be able to play Neverwinter whether or not you downloaded the pre-patch. Of course, when Module 5 releases, you will have to download the patch one way or another.

It's not giving me an option to play. Just patch, and if i cancel, the option is still...patch.
  • itstheyokitstheyok Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    when this feature was used for the release of mod 4, it totally killed my game once mod 4 went live, could get to charcter select, but then the game just crashed every single time...

My only option was a full reinstall, costing me over 3 hours for 12GB or so, as servers were obviously getting hammered. This also happened to a few guildies

Think i'll just download when it actually goes live, unless there is some dev input that the issue is identified / resolved
  • k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tousseau wrote: »
    In other words...

what we see on the preview is pretty much a go...

I'd hazard a guess the preload is mostly diverse graphical assets and suchlike memory hogs; I'd be very surprised if the actual code parts took up much space.
  • onegaki101onegaki101 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So does that mean all the changes for Mod 5 has been finalize and whatever we see in preview server is what's going live next week?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    onegaki101 wrote: »
    So does that mean all the changes for Mod 5 has been finalize and whatever we see in preview server is what's going live next week?
    tousseau wrote: »
    In other words...

what we see on the preview is pretty much a go...
    There's always been release day patches even after pre-patching... This is just to get the ball rolling on the major patches and updates and for those who pre-patch, their patch will be significantly less than those who do not pre-patch.
  • hoofithoofit Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't think the Not sitting for hours thing is working with me, I did pre patch and its still taking hours lol
  • aspen1979aspen1979 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 64
    edited November 2014
    same here, and I seem to be stuck at 53%
  • balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Don't feel bad, I've been stuck at 1.5%, got to 5% once and it kicked me and started over. Hopefully I will be able to play b4 dinner.
  • miawuaschtmiawuascht Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    this is so unprofessional.... and what about "known issues with mod 5" ?? its like buying a product and the salesman says: "it´s broken, but we know. Here´s your car, it has no engine... but WE KNOW" max greed but min service... so typical
This discussion has been closed.