Install Arc
Options

"Leetist PMs"

13»

Comments

• Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    But here's the big question that I have.

If a PVP premade gets unfortunately matched against a pug group, WHY NOT try to make it more of a fair fight against the pug team?

You're going to win ANYWAY.

You're going to lose ranking ANYWAY.

You are stuck in a lopsided match ANYWAY. Roflstomping them and then spawncamping them, instead of making it a bit more of a fair fight, MIGHT save you 5 minutes tops. Are those 5 minutes really SO valuable to you that you can't bother to try to make the experience just a little less humiliating for the pug?

Why not?

In my opinion, just general principles of good sportsmanship would compel good players not to bring their "A" game against a team that has "C" gear and skills, at best. But even if you disagree, what is the harm in doing this anyway?
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    In my opinion, just general principles of good sportsmanship would compel good players not to bring their "A" game against a team that has "C" gear and skills, at best. But even if you disagree, what is the harm in doing this anyway?

We mostly AFK when we meet teams below our level. The stomping comprises of a short battle on mid or their point. Then if they have at least 1 geared person, somebody might offer 1vs1. We even let them cap if they really want to, although it is wasting a lot of time for nothing.

If the guys keep attacking us while we're AFKing, there's little else to do but kill them.

What else are we supposed to do?

The matchmaking needs improving. It is true that some PvPers (and PvErs...) are idiots, but you cannot improve human condition.

You can improve game code instead.
  • Options
    letojarred1letojarred1 Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    morenthar wrote: »
    Dude, I PUG and lose standing when I win and currently I'm on page 29 or there about. So imagine how often it happens in top 10 pages.
    Yes you can, If I win a roflstomp against pug I drop down to 7 or 8.
    If I lose to a PM my standing is still the same or lose a few lines and If I win I just increase in 2-3 lines above. It feels a grind now though so I just enjoy the match instead of looking the Leaderboard that'll just frustrate you lol
    StrawberryCheesecake TR
    BlackberryCheesecake CW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CheeseCake House :o
  • Options
    hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    runonnike wrote: »
    Here's a suggestion: Why don't you wait until you see who is on the other team before chugging the potions?
    If you are unsure, start the match without potions. If it is a PUG, don't drink. If it is a PM, then drink at first death.

It's not that simple, often times lately I am pvping after having to solo or duo the the last boss in eLoL...so I pop pots. They last an hour, and usually I can only play a couple hours a night, I'm not going to just not PVP because my pots are still active.

If I go into pvp without pots, I don't pot up unless the other team is, or I am solo qued and doing the job of 2 people because a pug is afk...and then again, this leads to having pots running for the next match usually.

I think, one also has to look at team comp, if a team ques with 2 or 3 people, and they draw less desirable classes and low GS in the other 2 or 3 spots, pots come in handy as well. Meanwhile, if the other team has a 12K TR, they will prob win because the pugs with the lows GS and easy to kill class, try to kill the TRon home the whole match no matter what you say to them, and you are stuck trying to cover the other 2 nodes and getting ganged up on.

P.S. If my team, whether is a pug or a pre is stomping the other team, I go sit somewhere and take myself out of the match.

P.S.S. TO OP Just about every PVP guild, or competitive player uses pots, I am not sure why you choose to single out one Guild. I think, perhaps you just have a beef with that guild.
  • Options
    vedran541vedran541 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Welp that answers it. Learn what a premade is next time hypervorean. The comps aren't similar much less fair. Plus since when does a premade not have voice comm?

Those comps are pretty fair tbh. The damage of the other team counters the DC pretty well. 2 CWs can counter 2 HRs. I see no problem with those comps.

Altho i rarely premade without a TR because i still think they are awesome backcappers
  • Options
    nuudlznuudlz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Altho i rarely premade without a TR because i still think they are awesome backcappers

Thank you!
    The Zisters' Magazine - Subscribe now and you'll never run out of style.

We are always looking for new models --- Borderline Fashiondolls ---
  • Options
    almightybizzoalmightybizzo Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Just today I saw with my own eyes a member of a well-known PVP guild, in a match with pugs, who had about 8k GS more than anyone else in the match, smash an opponent and then yell "L2P". Not very sporting, now, is it?

Do you think this person derived joy from humiliating someone? I do.

I agree that there are some who get an ego boost by humiliating the lesser geared or lesser pvp skilled players in matches. As a GM of an established PVP guild, I can tell you that most of us do not tolerate that kind of behavior by our members. It ruins the PVP experience which is counter productive to what we're trying to accomplish in NW. I ask that anyone who encounters my guild members behaving in such a way to please take a screenshot and report it to me via in-game mail. It will be dealt with appropriately. I'm sure many of the other PVP guild GMs can agree with me. It makes our guilds look like a bunch of scrubs when our members behave like dbags.

That said, there are some guilds, however, (and I won't name names) that really could care less. Not much you can do about those people. The guild attitude is set by its leader(s)...so if the leader is a dbag then likely the rest of the guild happily follows suit. These guilds are exceptions to the rule, though.
    <3 Aja / Nepenthe

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    vedran541 wrote: »
    Those comps are pretty fair tbh. The damage of the other team counters the DC pretty well. 2 CWs can counter 2 HRs. I see no problem with those comps.

I saw the players on each side and no not everyone is BIS and equally skilled/experienced.
    I agree that there are some who get an ego boost by humiliating the lesser geared or lesser pvp skilled players in matches. As a GM of an established PVP guild, I can tell you that most of us do not tolerate that kind of behavior by our members. It ruins the PVP experience which is counter productive to what we're trying to accomplish in NW. I ask that anyone who encounters my guild members behaving in such a way to please take a screenshot and report it to me via in-game mail. It will be dealt with appropriately. I'm sure many of the other PVP guild GMs can agree with me. It makes our guilds look like a bunch of scrubs when our members behave like dbags.

That said, there are some guilds, however, (and I won't name names) that really could care less. Not much you can do about those people. The guild attitude is set by its leader(s)...so if the leader is a dbag then likely the rest of the guild happily follows suit. These guilds are exceptions to the rule, though.

You don't have to name any names but I've seen people from EVERY PVP guild participating in these behaviors. That doesn't reflect the whole guild and whole the PVP community's intentions and character.

Like I responded to another poster, it is stupid to judge a whole guild/community by a few bad apples.

Every guild has bad apples (yes including the so-called "no-zerg" "family guilds" recruiting here).Both the PVE and PVP community has bad apples in them. Some kick pugs in PVP, others kick pugs in PVE. Same difference really.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    My post came from a Guild Master's POV. Not "EVERY PVP guild" tolerates this kind of behavior. Some are actually known for being exceedingly nice to "PUGs" they encounter.

Every PVP guild (or PVE for that matter) participates in less than pleasing behaviors. Some of them are not as polite to pugs. Others instigate a lot of trashtalk in public and custom chat channels. Some are guilty of the former, others guilty of the latter and some guilty of both. I'm not gonna start pointing fingers but just gonna leave it at that.
    Responsible GMs understand this and how poor sportsmanship ruins PVP for everyone.

Correct. However, I did not see anything wrong from what OP described.
    It is a GMs responsibility to hold their members accountable for their behavior.

I don't hold it that much against guilds for bad apples anymore. There are fewer and fewer hardcore players left.

I still agree in principle and hope this would be implemented a lot more but to be honest, I think the PVP guilds now are much much better than previous ones in terms of attitudes etc.
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I saw the players on each side and no not everyone is BIS and equally skilled/experienced.

You don't have to name any names but I've seen people from EVERY PVP guild participating in these behaviors. That doesn't reflect the whole guild and whole the PVP community's intentions and character.

Like I responded to another poster, it is stupid to judge a whole guild/community by a few bad apples.

Every guild has bad apples (yes including the so-called "no-zerg" "family guilds" recruiting here).Both the PVE and PVP community has bad apples in them. Some kick pugs in PVP, others kick pugs in PVE. Same difference really.

While it's true that a guild cannot be judged by 1 member, it's also true that so far, my experience is that that specific behaviour is easily found in overgeared PvPers. Weaker/ Normal players, when they are kids or bad guys, usually tend to insult their team if they lose, or perhaps jump a bit on a corpse (lol), but you more rarely see them trolling the enemy.

On the other side i've seen more than a few times, PvPers from "known" guilds or more generically players filled with legendaries, red glyphs, BiS equipment and the latest, lamer and most OP class/ build, troll enemies by writing "weak" or "trash" or similar stuff after beating them easily. Or pretty much 8 "BiS" PvPers out of 10 i meet, when the match is bad (aka matchmaking puts 3 BiS players in 1 team with 2 14-15k players and then puts you alone with a bunch of 8-10-12kers to face them) or even just if you can fight but you see you will lose, when they see this they disconnect.
    I've also seen very good examples of kindness and sportmanship but i would see these are much less. The A-team players from top guilds are USUALLY good guys, but their army of underlings is often a collection of toxic, spoiled elitists and powerplayers just trying to show-off by being overgeared and being in a known guild.

It's not a rule but the game pretty much is currently encouraging this kind of players.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    pando83 wrote: »
    ...It's not a rule but the game pretty much is currently encouraging this kind of players...

It's not the game that encourages such behavior. It's just what they are.

Online gaming opened up into the world around the mid-90's. Since that point on I've been playing online games for more than 20 years, and when it comes to PvP, people were always like that as long as I can remember. Doesn't matter what kind of game, what kind of genre. As long as it has any form of competitive Player vs. Player content, the odds are any group of people who is considered to be "on the top" will be basically sociopaths with way too little social skills and way too much testosterone.

Most of those players are males in their late-teens, cocky and foolish, self-conscious, little respect towards others, and at their prime in whatever it is they do best. They couldn't care less about what others may feel, and have the tendency to flock around, form groups, and try to seize the hegemony of whatever they're involved with. And when they meet something they do not like, or something that might even disagree or challenge their influence in the community, they will turn into bullies.

In other words, its just simply the typical high-school jocks and the bully gangs they form, that is recreated inside a virtual society. Many of such players and their guilds, are simply youngsters. A bunch of kids acting poorly. Its usually something you grow out of.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    It's not the game that encourages such behavior. It's just what they are.

Online gaming opened up into the world around the mid-90's. Since that point on I've been playing online games for more than 20 years, and when it comes to PvP, people were always like that as long as I can remember. Doesn't matter what kind of game, what kind of genre. As long as it has any form of competitive Player vs. Player content, the odds are any group of people who is considered to be "on the top" will be basically sociopaths with way too little social skills and way too much testosterone.

Most of those players are males in their late-teens, cocky and foolish, self-conscious, little respect towards others, and at their prime in whatever it is they do best. They couldn't care less about what others may feel, and have the tendency to flock around, form groups, and try to seize the hegemony of whatever they're involved with. And when they meet something they do not like, or something that might even disagree or challenge their influence in the community, they will turn into bullies.

In other words, its just simply the typical high-school jocks and the bully gangs they form, that is recreated inside a virtual society. Many of such players and their guilds, are simply youngsters. A bunch of kids acting poorly. Its usually something you grow out of.

You got that right, sadly. Oh and Princess Clara - Bully song

• Options
    edited November 2014
    You got that right, sadly. Oh and Princess Clara - Bully song

Tell me about it. The super-duper l33T mentality...

"...since I'm one of the best players in the game, people should listen to me. Anyone who doesn't, I'm going to bring my entire guild members and either lynch him online, or bury his presence in the forums offline. I know whatever I say, my stooges are going to back me up. Who the f*** cares if I trash some bunch of n00bs? I'm gonna show their place in the game. They're garbage level players, so their existence should also be treated like garbage. If anyone doesn't agree with me? Then too bad. I still beat him easily, so that means I'm right, he sucks..."

I know it all too well, since I'm embarassed to say I was one of those back in my prime. Usually it was Ultima Online back in those days, and you think if "bad attitude" is bad here, you should've seen what it was like in UO. They had no PvP restrictions at all. Literally the moment someone steps out of towns/cities, someone could attack you.

I was the same when I was young, when I was part of a 'PK guild'. We'd go slaughtering newbies and get a good laugh out of it everyday. But then, when people act that poorly against others, soon, they begin to act poorly amongst themselves. Then begins all the high-school drama, one player at odds against the other, all the flaming, back-stabbing, 'factions' within the same guild, people divided and torn, fighting.. etc etc.. and then influential members quit, take his "followers" with him, make another PvP guild, and after that its mutual vendetta again and again that makes the MAFIA look pale in comparison.

If anyone has any fantasies about "prestigious PvP guilds", this is the reality of it. Sooner or later, that's what happens. You can bet on that. Good PvP players are usually egomaniacs. They have to be. Its what that makes them good players. All the ego, confidence. When you have those egomaniacs in the same guild, it doesn't last.

During my 20 years of gaming I've been part of countless PvP guilds, and saw it happening again and again, until I finally realized that making a "l33T" guild, its fun only for so long. I grew up. Realized what foolish madness it is to look down on newbies. To think that every "standard" about PvP was to be based on the "high level" -- such arrogance and foolishness. It was embarassing. At any given game, in the end, less than 20% of the community specializes in PvP, and only about 5% of those 20% of people ever get to be "l33T".

95% of PvP players are your average day Joes -- "PuGs" -- and if these guys aren't happy, then the PvP in the game dies.

That's what I've learned. That's what these "l33T" snobs will also learn when they gain 10 years more age and 30lbs. weight, and finally get the concept of social responsibility, humility, and respect towards others.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Meh not exactly^

I mean it does happen to an extent to guilds both PVP and PVE. But this kind of thing happens to every stage of the game as well. I've seen people rage quit dungeons because they can't finish it.

It is a static property of a certain section of every online community and isn't restricted to high end pvp guilds.
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Tell me about it. The super-duper l33T mentality...

If anyone has any fantasies about "prestigious PvP guilds", this is the reality of it. Sooner or later, that's what happens. You can bet on that. Good PvP players are usually egomaniacs. They have to be. Its what that makes them good players. All the ego, confidence. When you have those egomaniacs in the same guild, it doesn't last.

In a game with as trash a level of play as neverwinter sure. Most of them are here because they can't play. High level cs is really very polite. Even things that could offend like a knife kill at lan with 500k real money where you would think anything goes when its a clever play are apologised for by the people caling plays and the players and the people it happened to say oh no big deal.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

"...since I'm one of the best players in the game, people should listen to me. Anyone who doesn't, I'm going to bring my entire guild members and either lynch him online, or bury his presence in the forums offline. I know whatever I say, my stooges are going to back me up. Who the f*** cares if I trash some bunch of n00bs? I'm gonna show their place in the game. They're garbage level players, so their existence should also be treated like garbage. If anyone doesn't agree with me? Then too bad. I still beat him easily, so that means I'm right, he sucks..."

Thank you for sharing this. This is the reason why I think PVP and PVE ought to be separated entirely. Because the PVP aspect is what draws in the "I got bullied too much in school and/or I have maturity issues so I am going to exact my wrath on anonymous gamers online" crowd. Rashy wants to pretend that it's all equivalent between PVP and PVE but it's not. He is just whiteknighting for PVP. Imaginary dragons and programmed NPCs aren't capable of being humiliated when you beat them, but real people can, and that is the real aim of the "smash their face" crowd - to humiliate people. That is why they jump on corpses, trashtalk and engage in terrible conduct in PVP matches. For all the dungeons I have done, I haven't yet seen anyone jump on the dead boss's corpse.
  • Options
    gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    This thread, honestly.
    I've been verbally abused by more low GS players that gett offended when they eat dirt than by "PVP" Guilds.
    Just last week I had a 12k gs pug whisper me "I Hope your mom dies tonight." because I killed him twice in a match.

There is no way in hell I'm going to unslot enchantments and armor for the other team.
    We will still win if it is a blowout anyways, and now it will take longer.

As for pots in PVP I say it is a cheaper way for undergeared teams to try and attain a higher rating for a PVP match.
    Just because already OP guys use pots doesn't mean there aren't plenty of lower GS players that use them too.
    I have two guys at 17K plus and use elixirs and pots when I get against a good premade or team that far outranks my toons, and I usually don't do bad. Thanks pots :)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Thank you for sharing this. This is the reason why I think PVP and PVE ought to be separated entirely. Because the PVP aspect is what draws in the "I got bullied too much in school and/or I have maturity issues so I am going to exact my wrath on anonymous gamers online" crowd. Rashy wants to pretend that it's all equivalent between PVP and PVE but it's not. He is just whiteknighting for PVP. Imaginary dragons and programmed NPCs aren't capable of being humiliated when you beat them, but real people can, and that is the real aim of the "smash their face" crowd - to humiliate people. That is why they jump on corpses, trashtalk and engage in terrible conduct in PVP matches. For all the dungeons I have done, I haven't yet seen anyone jump on the dead boss's corpse.

If you think the PvE folk are any different, you'd be wrong. :D Over those 20 years, I've had my share of shi*storms incoming from BOTH the PvP and PvE fronts. Being overly competition driven -- it happens to both sides, just in a different manner.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The difference is, PVE folks don't set out to *humiliate* Draco.
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The difference is, PVE folks don't set out to *humiliate* Draco.

You're so wrong. I've seen people calling him weak, saying 'i thought you were stronger', and taking pictures next to his dead body.
    Every boss fights a silent battle against pve bullies, and if you don't see them crying, it's just because they wait till nobody is around.
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    pando83 wrote: »
    You're so wrong. I've seen people calling him weak, saying 'i thought you were stronger', and taking pictures next to his dead body.
    Every boss fights a silent battle against pve bullies, and if you don't see them crying, it's just because they wait till nobody is around.
    Truestory.gif
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I won't dwell into this any deeper because its gonna open a can of crapstorm when we really start talking about it, but let's just say this absolute obsession over PvE 'DPS' some people show, is basically the starting point of "PvE bullying".

I've seen people step down on others just because his overall DPS level lacks slight behind than others -- in games like WoW where real-time DPS measurement is supported through 3rd party add-ons. People make raiding parties/groups and turn its membership as if it was some sort of an expensive social club and fight over who's got the most efficient dungeon-clearing teams. Backstabs, cheating, stealing.. PvErs are every bit as ugly as PvPrs, so don't anyone get any strange ideas on who has the moral high-ground.. because there's no such thing.

It happens anywhere and everywhere when kids with raging hormones, uncontrollable hostility, little respect towards others, etc etc.. start turning stuff into competition and then starts judging people according to how one scored -- in a computer game. It's a blessing for NW that the suggestions for 3rd party add-ons and DPS markers were never realized, because if that ever happens, I guarantee you we're gonna be seeing just how 'civilized' the PvErs are -- which isn't saying much.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well there are a number of misconceptions here.

Sh*tstorms happen in both PVP and PVE when things are going bad. Pugs get kicked in PVE, people argue with each other about how to run something, people get blamed for failing the dungeon etc.

It is an unfortunate part of every online aspect.