test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

'Carebears' looking to get into Dungeon Crawling

kyrelenkyrelen Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited October 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hi,

So, I'll first say I've played Neverwinter since release. I have 5 level 60 characters and feel I'm good with them all.

My husband is the same....

The thing is, we've only ever played with just the two of us (we're based in the UK, so time zones is a problem!) as a group. I have noticed, however, if I want to continue with the Tyranny of Dragons boons line, I need to do dungeons like Lair of Lostmouth?

So, considering we're both quite shy..... is it worth us looking for a group and taking the plunge?

It would be 2 SW's if we do get into it...
Post edited by kyrelen on

Comments

• blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    if you can find the right guild or a right group of people doing it yes.

I see plenty of people in UK friendly timezones doing the dungeon, just be sure to let whoever you group with know you two are new. Its a simple dungeon for the most part so after a few runs you'll get a hang of it. Do say there is a part after first boss that be a problem for SW's my tip without spoiling anything is jump when your at the edge and keep going forward.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you want some nice quiet dungeon crawling without all the drama pickup groups often come with, join this channel:

/Channel_Join NW_Legit_Community

Type that in and you'll join the Legit Community channel. This channel has wonderful people that are willing "more" willing to help you out than any community I've ever played with. Obviously you won't always find all the help you need, but your chances int at channel are better than anywhere else. GearScores don't matter - if you can enter it, you can run it (just remember that that doesn't mean you will finish it either).

Its not a guild, its just a group of people who wanted a better experience. The channels has mods too, and if you are reported exploiting, or acting poorly in groups (kicking people for no reason, requiring certain GS's) you may get kicked from the channel.

I can honestly say the channel is the primary reason I keep playing the game. Having to deal with PUGs and such with all the drama and kicking, I would have quit by now. This channel makes the game much better.

Not sure if thats what you were looking for or not :)
  • dragosani84dragosani84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited October 2014
    You don't have to do the dungeons at all. You can just collect the glyphs and secret notes or whatever they're called to get your last two boons and buy the dragon gem. That's what I did. I was running the skirmish and dungeons and honestly I never got anything I could use. No dragon gem or books for boons, I kept getting dragon bones so finally I just quit and did the dragons each day and bought my gems.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No you don't have to do the dungeons, you can buy books from the vendor near the questgivers in protector's enclave. It has a brown coin above its head. It takes 20 days worth of dailies per book and the book has an incredibly small chance to drop from epic lair of lostmauth. After 150 runs i have yet to get it. :)

You can also try your luck in the shores of tuern (normal) or the normal lair of lostmauth using the public queues, these two instances don't require any kind of premade group. They aren't difficult and could be fun for casual people not willing to engage into social activities like guilds. Just keep in mind that the chance to get the book in a chest are around 1/1000 or something along those lines. You can also get a dragon gem from the normal instances if you're after an artifact weapon, but the easiest method is to buy the gem itself, it's worth two days of refining on the auction house - none of the module 4 instances are worth anyone's time in terms of rewards.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    legit.
    10 char
    10 char
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    I also suggest using NW_Legit_Community to form or join groups for them. I no longer belong to any guilds but my own and have a great time still, "on my own" so-to-speak, by partaking in Legit channel when I do feel like doing group content.

NW_Legit_Community Channel Info & Discussion
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm also a UK people that is a shyfais who wasn't even sure about doing mp content, even though I like multiplayer stuff on other games. That kind of changed when I figured out for skirmishes and dungeons you had to (hey I was new to the genre). Eventually after gg was released I didn't want to join a guild but for gg you're required to. My first one died fast, but then I joined another one with good friendly players and that made me have the most fun in this game. Though now that enjoyment kind of fell due to changes in the way the game was handled that I didn't like.

One thing to note is that the boon drop rates in the skirmish and dungeon are very bad, though next module they'll increase the drop rate thankfully it'd probably still be more reliable to just do your 5 zones a day (or whatever time you have) and just buy them from the tod store from the campaign window or PE.

The legit channel is probably decent too though I'm not part of it, lfg is probably more often better than pugging through the queue though lostmauth isn't so bad so it shouldn't matter too much. It is 13k min gs too so you won't have fresh 60s that are completely inexperienced that you get in t2s when pugging. Being part of a friendly guild is something I recommend though, as someone who's not entirely sociable I made some friends to play and talk to.

Although I'm from the UK, my sleep pattern is completely messed up that it changes all the time so there isn't any particular time I play ^_^, though I have a lot of free time so it doesn't really matter. I should probably sort that last bit out...
  • mareatlanticummareatlanticum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 202 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    kyrelen wrote: »
    The thing is, we've only ever played with just the two of us (we're based in the UK, so time zones is a problem!) as a group. I have noticed, however, if I want to continue with the Tyranny of Dragons boons line, I need to do dungeons like Lair of Lostmouth?

So, considering we're both quite shy..... is it worth us looking for a group and taking the plunge?

You really don't need to do dungeons for the Tyranny campaign. I have gone trough eLoL a lot, as well as both eSoT and normal SoT and haven't seen nor heard anyone in those parties would have gotten either of the books as drop.

Only way to get them for sure is to do the boring daily dragon kills/area missions, which means you probably won't be doing it for too many characters. Other way is ofc to open your purse and just buy 2000 zen (20EUR) per book and ZAX them and buy the books from AH.

But for other reasons it is worth "taking the plunge" and start doing dungeons in groups. It is one of the better parts of this game.
    Give us 4 or more power/item bar profiles so we can change powers and items with one click that are suited for the situation.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There is one thing worth mentioning: you cannot buy the draconic offhand item on the AH as it is bind on pickup. You must run either Tuern or LoL until you get the drop. :(

Having both the main hand and offhand weapons adds a nice bonus!! (+1800 HP for TR)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."