test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dragon knockback help, please?

chainhyenachainhyena Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited October 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hello. I'm having some weird issues with the Heroic Dragon encounters for Tyranny that I hoped someone here could shed some light on.

I'm playing a GWF, 13K GS, 2.2K Defense. My typical approach is to try and run at the side of the dragon, more towards the front if possible. I'm partially colorblind but I can fairly reliably see the red stuff if I have an edge in my field of vision - I try and stay out of the red stuff as much as possible. I don't think I'm pulling aggro - or at least the Dragon never seems to turn towards me.

The Dragons seem to all have at least two (?) knockback attacks - the wing buffet and the tail swipe. Usually if I get hit with one of these it does a decent amount of damage (60%+) and I have to scramble to get some healing or temp hps, but it's survivable. However, and this is where it gets odd, sometimes I seem to take next to no damage, and other times I will just get one-shotted. I do not believe these are purely random occurrences, since if I get an atypical result on a Dragon then I seem to keep getting that result on that fight. However at the same time it's not specific to a given encounter - I've had this happen on all of the Dragons I've fought. So, for example, the Green Dragon might be normal one fight, the next I might be able to just ignore the knockbacks, and a third try might be insta-kill...

I'm assuming that there is something going on that I'm not aware of / am missing; buffs from nearby characters (Clerics, probably?) being the most likely. I'd like to know what to look for so I can hopefully figure out what kind of situation I'm in before I get hit...

Thanks.
Post edited by chainhyena on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Occasionally you'll get blown into a pool of stuff that's already on the ground, with the poison and acid dragons. This is pretty deadly.

Next to no damage at all is most likely you deflecting successfully.

Tail slap deals a ton of damage by itself; wing buffet doesn't so much.

How often do you notice yourself glowing blue? This is a Guardian Fighter using Knight's Valor, which absorbs a portion of damage applied to you onto the GF.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • mareatlanticummareatlanticum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 202 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    chainhyena wrote: »
    Hello. I'm having some weird issues with the Heroic Dragon encounters for Tyranny that I hoped someone here could shed some light on.

I'm playing a GWF, 13K GS, 2.2K Defense. My typical approach is to try and run at the side of the dragon, more towards the front if possible. I'm partially colorblind but I can fairly reliably see the red stuff if I have an edge in my field of vision - I try and stay out of the red stuff as much as possible. I don't think I'm pulling aggro - or at least the Dragon never seems to turn towards me.

The Dragons seem to all have at least two (?) knockback attacks - the wing buffet and the tail swipe. Usually if I get hit with one of these it does a decent amount of damage (60%+) and I have to scramble to get some healing or temp hps, but it's survivable. However, and this is where it gets odd, sometimes I seem to take next to no damage, and other times I will just get one-shotted. I do not believe these are purely random occurrences, since if I get an atypical result on a Dragon then I seem to keep getting that result on that fight. However at the same time it's not specific to a given encounter - I've had this happen on all of the Dragons I've fought. So, for example, the Green Dragon might be normal one fight, the next I might be able to just ignore the knockbacks, and a third try might be insta-kill...

I'm assuming that there is something going on that I'm not aware of / am missing; buffs from nearby characters (Clerics, probably?) being the most likely. I'd like to know what to look for so I can hopefully figure out what kind of situation I'm in before I get hit...

Thanks.

Deflect success reduces damage considerably, as does running when the attack happens and indomitable on as well. Also party CW and TR feats have max 3% increase to all stats, including defense and deflect and some class (not sure which) has deflect and defense increasing Draconic Armor set bonuses (10% increase or something similar) for all party members near them. Clerics also I think have some spells that increase defense and then there is also the defender's banner that increases defense and decreases damage from all friendlies/enemies in its radius.

My own tank GWF had no problem with any of the dragons since it could fight them. They only kick her away and she just jumps back with the at-will and usually gains indomitable or half with the throw. My indomitable besides gives temp HP also heals 5% and the healing strike, IBS combo added to increased lifesteal speed from indomitable heals her to full before the dragon can even hit again.

Not sure about Lostmauth, but the Icewind Beholders are only problem this far, as they strike OHK to anything but shield up tank GFs. Not too nice being tank there.
    Give us 4 or more power/item bar profiles so we can change powers and items with one click that are suited for the situation.
  • bremillardbremillard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    chainhyena wrote: »

Remember that mobs can also crit. On a tail whip, that's something like 60-75k in damage.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Occasionally you'll get blown into a pool of stuff that's already on the ground, with the poison and acid dragons. This is pretty deadly.

This is usually the culprit pools do a lot more damage than the knockback attacks. Just knockback you should be able to heal in no-time with LS. If you land in a pool immediately use a closer or sprint out of it.
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The tail swipe is extremely deadly. For some reason if I get caught in it and don't deflect, it will pretty much one shot me. So you never want to stand behind the dragon unless you are out of it's tail range (though you being a GWF, it doesn't quite apply).

The knockback doesn't hurt much unless you get thrown into a pool of bad or even a group of mobs that root or CC you.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ? the tail does not seriously damage my 25KHP HR. Basically heal it back with one RoA. Much less my actual tank classes......
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    DPS should fight under the wing, solves the tail problem

Wing Flap is hard to dodge on GWF, so pop unstoppable and run back in (assume unstoppable recovery)