test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game Population

Comments

• abecassisabecassis Member Posts: 255 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    I think you may be off with this. I have NEVER played PvP since before Mod 1 and yet I am in the leaderboard.

Thats because your only visible on the leaderboard to yourself. If you have 0 games, you will appear on last place, but only visible to yourself. If you get 1 game, you will be visible to everyone.

So no, you are not on the leaderboard
    Dr. Phil
  • benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    nezraal wrote: »
    at most you have 70k (50-55k to be more realistic) active players.

It's even less, we have something like 110K characters used on MoD 4, considering the fact that in some accounts you have more than one character the number of players decrease, and then, that number is not even active players, are players that logged once in MoD 4.
  • caunsidhcaunsidh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    But being more realistic, I think even some PvE guys would at least try PvP once in a month.

Not really. I don't like PvP in Neverwinter, since it's pointless, and thus I never queue for it.
    In ESO, for example, I like PvP since it's more about battles and sieges than about domination.
    silverkelt wrote: »
    I can run through every other module through with no more then 15 mins max a day, I could probably run through 2-3 or more alts through every other module through in the same time I do one alt for ToD, I just dont understand how you can say its the same...

It is same for me, since I enjoy my time questing, and thus take my time to pick up items, refine them, identify them...
    silverkelt wrote: »
    What all the other modules allow you to do is be done with them at some point, with reasonable amount of grinding, ToD doesnt have that.. not even close.

Well, I don't see anyone forcing you to grind all those campaigns and boons for 10+ characters. Your choice.
    Therenil - Hunter Ranger, Stormwarden/Trapper
    3.jpg
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I hardly think anyone would ignore 8k AD a day on their primary account

I do. Every single day.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    I do. Every single day.

Ditto. Never PVPed here, never will. I could care less about any of the rewards for it. It still isn't worth it for me.

Just based on this topic alone. There seems to be a fairly significant number of people who avoid PVP like the plague.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    When I PvPed, it wasn't for the AD. Rhix/Neverember dailies put me over my cap enough that I can slack on the Leadership a bit, but I'm usually around my cap without any dailies at all. A big pool of unrefined AD is only useful if I took a vacation or something.

PvP turned into a miserable enough experience that I wasn't enjoying it at all, so I haven't touched it in months.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • daggon87daggon87 Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    When PvP stopped being fun at the start of mod4, I forgot about these 8K raw AD. And well, I'm now overproducing a little less. Not a big difference.
    Olaf, freelance guardian fighter.
    Enorla, Oh so devoted cleric.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    While I understand the curiosity for knowing the exact population numbers, at least the developers had the good idea of not making this game over-reliant on population for content (either pvp or pve). This avoids (or at least severly mitigates) the vicious spiral of people leaving because of lack of other people playing the game. I've seen other MMOS die because of it.
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    abecassis wrote: »
    Is there any way to see how many individual accounds have log on in recent times? Or a way to see those numbers from the games release until now?

I have searched a abit, but could not find anything. But i remember seeing such a graph once.

There should be around 200.000 to 300.000 active player.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Just to be clear, I loved the new dungeon and skirmish. They are a little bit easy, but still fun regardless. My complaints are based around the RNG nature of the rewards and the dailies. The RNG-based rewards are related to the very short and relatively easy new dungeon because RNG is how they gate stuff in this module instead of difficulty.
  • antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I hardly think anyone would ignore 8k AD a day on their primary account which means at most you have 70k (50-55k to be more realistic) active players

They could offer 80k AD a day and I still wouldn't touch PvP
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    antovaras wrote: »

This ^^

The PVP Community is a mix of narcissistic egoists and ten year old children with no life. The only reason I have a PVP specced character right now is because, I feel, as a guild leader in my hybrid PVE/PVP guild, I need to be extremely experienced in both PVE/PVP
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
    edited October 2014
    This ^^

The PVP Community is a mix of narcissistic egoists and ten year old children with no life. The only reason I have a PVP specced character right now is because, I feel, as a guild leader in my hybrid PVE/PVP guild, I need to be extremely experienced in both PVE/PVP

Now now, every community will have its own share of less appeasing folks. I see that you weren't in this game back when everyone was doing PVE content in the early days. I will tell you that PVE community wasn't exactly pleasant. Tons and tons of arguments about how to do a particular segment of the dungeon. Kicking people at the end of runs so that a guild of 3-4 could share the loot. Kicking players if they didn't know how to do a certain glitch.

Also, a lot of the PVP players today used to be long time PVE players. They merely switched because PVE is a joke now. So you are complaining about the PVP community that has most of its players come from PVE. Ironic.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    >2, <1 mil. I find grouping easy (ty legit channel). Queues IDK, I only queue when I see someone stuck and they need 1 to finish.

I always thought the leaderboard was interesting to get an idea of at least 1 segment of the population (the pvp group).

I think population wise this game is just fine.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There's no challenging PvE content and no rewards you'll ever realistically see. Many PvE players leave, but a few swap to PvP because there's nothing else to do and they've spent too much time, effort, and/or money to simply call it quits.

I stick around because my guildies are awesome.
  • ikapamkikapamk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 294 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I stick around because my guildies are awesome.

^Bingo! Pretty much my only reason for sticking it out and not moving on
    Carpe Jugulum
    Sharra Del'Armgo - SW Trapper Hybrid HR
    Ogghra Bar'Ghuzumn - MI Scoundrel TR
    Vænna Thrymskjöldr - IV Protector GF
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Mod 5 is gonna be their last chance to make some favorable changes or the first proverbial nail will be driven into the coffin for this game.

If mod 5 goes anything like mod 4 I wouldn't be surprised if they folded completely and discontinued the game. (they wouldn't but it'd be funny, and sad, of course lol)

Anyway, it's fairly obvious this game is bleeding players like a stuck pig, damage control starts on Mod 5, no matter what they're planning or doing now, they need to change their game plan to accommodate this or let this game slip through their fingers...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    str8slayer wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Mod 5 is gonna be their last chance to make some favorable changes or the first proverbial nail will be driven into the coffin for this game.

If mod 5 goes anything like mod 4 I wouldn't be surprised if they folded completely and discontinued the game. (they wouldn't but it'd be funny, and sad, of course lol)

Anyway, it's fairly obvious this game is bleeding players like a stuck pig, damage control starts on Mod 5, no matter what they're planning or doing now, they need to change their game plan to accommodate this or let this game slip through their fingers...

Mod 5 WILL be the same as mod 4, there is no reason to believe otherwise. And no, it might upset a few folks who have, for some reason, expected things to change, at all or instantly, for no other reason then they have complained. But it wont kill the game.

People said the game wouldn't make it 6 months, then it wouldn't make it a year, then it was mod 4 that would kill it. Now its mod 5, and months from now it will be mod 6.

Cryptic has yet to close a game. Not even Champions is in danger of being closed. And that's a woefully neglected game that's been all but in maintenance mode for well over a year now. Neverwinter is a long long way from that.
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, I don't expect changes in mod 5. It's too far along the pipeline. I fully expect RNG madness and mandatory time gated dailies to continue. Mod 6 on the other hand should be influenced by lessons learned on mods 3 and 4. That's my deadline and what I tell my guildies to hope for.
  • ikapamkikapamk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 294 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, I don't expect changes in mod 5. It's too far along the pipeline. I fully expect RNG madness and mandatory time gated dailies to continue. Mod 6 on the other hand should be influenced by lessons learned on mods 3 and 4. That's my deadline and what I tell my guildies to hope for.

I think that's an honest timeframe. Most of the RNG complaints have come as a result of Mod4. So, if they already had Mod5 in the pipeline (knowing WotC and their ... reasonableness, I wouldn't have been surprised), we shouldn't expect much change there. Mod 6, though, will have given them 2-3 mods of HE & RNG complaints to respond to. That's the point where we see the degree of attention given to the players' desires.
    Carpe Jugulum
    Sharra Del'Armgo - SW Trapper Hybrid HR
    Ogghra Bar'Ghuzumn - MI Scoundrel TR
    Vænna Thrymskjöldr - IV Protector GF
    edited October 2014

I agree. I think module 5 is going to be more of the same. I've accepted it that the lessons they learn from the feedback will not be seen in the next mod but hopefully be applied to module 6.
    edited October 2014
    It's not just new content though, at some point they will have to overhaul old content as the amount of campaigns and dailies will become unbearable further down the line, especially for new players or those who want to make new characters (with the new classes that they will presumably release in the future).

The same goes for RNG, right now Black Ice gear risks of being trivialized already and probably will become totally obsolete by mod 5. They need to make the access to it easier.
    edited October 2014
    klangeddin wrote: »
    It's not just new content though, at some point they will have to overhaul old content as the amount of campaigns and dailies will become unbearable further down the line, especially for new players or those who want to make new characters (with the new classes that they will presumably release in the future).

They won't overhaul but they have provided an alternative: you can buy full campaign completions for 5000 zen each
    edited October 2014
    They won't overhaul but they have provided an alternative: you can buy full campaign completions for 5000 zen each

That may work for the time being, but eventually they'll have to give in and overhaul. I cannot see how they plan to attract new or returning players by "forcing" them to spend lots of Zen just to skip the tedious grind. Right now it works because there's a couple of campaigns you can do that for, but eventually can you imagine players spending 20000-30000 zen just to skip the campaigns and get to the new stuff? I can't.
  • lilbyrdielilbyrdie Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    antovaras wrote: »

Likewise.

Besides, the 8k AD a day? That's a joke, right? I mean, that's worth 16 US cents(aka 16 zen). The entire month is worth less than a fancy latte. No, that's not incentive at all. (Unless it maybe it was for a free latte... hmm...)

Besides, even without being at max level, you can find more than 8k worth of items pretty easily on the PvE side.
    edited October 2014
    Honestly, when you see Cryptic starting to re-do old areas...THAT is the time you need to worry about the state of the game. As long as they are making new stuff its a good indication that the game is doing well.

I know in Champions, we got the first vibe that the game was going into maintenance mode when they kept re-doing the starting tutorial. They eventually re-did that and the initial level 1-15 area, like 3 different times. They re-did the power house and the trainer areas at least twice. There was a point in the game where it felt like they were re-doing almost everything level 20 or lower. It honestly wasn't a good time for the game.

The lesson here is, be careful what you wish for.
    edited October 2014
    I honestly wouldn't mind seeing some of Neverwinter's fundamental mechanics redone.
    edited October 2014
    lilbyrdie wrote: »
    Likewise.

Besides, the 8k AD a day? That's a joke, right? I mean, that's worth 16 US cents(aka 16 zen). The entire month is worth less than a fancy latte. No, that's not incentive at all. (Unless it maybe it was for a free latte... hmm...)

Besides, even without being at max level, you can find more than 8k worth of items pretty easily on the PvE side.

Oh trust me, a lot of the PVP players would LOVE to not have you guys participate in their matches. It just wastes 10-15minutes of their time and also encumbers them to carry the team. If you are playing on the opposite side, they just lose ELO and leaderboard rankings by playing against you despite the fact that they demolished your team and never died once. Lose-lose for them either way.
    edited October 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Honestly, when you see Cryptic starting to re-do old areas...THAT is the time you need to worry about the state of the game. As long as they are making new stuff its a good indication that the game is doing well.

I know in Champions, we got the first vibe that the game was going into maintenance mode when they kept re-doing the starting tutorial. They eventually re-did that and the initial level 1-15 area, like 3 different times. They re-did the power house and the trainer areas at least twice. There was a point in the game where it felt like they were re-doing almost everything level 20 or lower. It honestly wasn't a good time for the game.

The lesson here is, be careful what you wish for.

My opinion is that all MMOS need an overhaul of old content down the line. I think that keeping the same curve of progression for content that was released years ago while adding new content is a mistake, as you're effectively gating new content making it accessible only to veteran, whereas it's in the developer's best interest that as many people as possible have access to that content.
    I never played Champions, but I know that many other MMOS (WoW, AoC, RIFT, WAR, Lotro, ecc...) were not afraid to re-do old content when new expansions came.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I know that many do not use steam but here:

http://steamcharts.com/app/109600

You can search all the other MMOs too on steam and compare, I think its one of the most played MMOs on steam if not the most (think planetside 2 has more).

But I'll make an educated guess and quadruple that number which is pretty good activity for a MMO i think. Bear in mind that most steam players do not venture near these forums.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".