test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Grace of Elloheim

ayarkayark Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Art and Fiction
INTRO: This is a story about my character Esther Seraphwing.

==Chapter 1==
Aromatic incense drifted up in swirling clouds from the censers of the priests. The vast atrium was lit by early evening sunlight. Imtoth Talud, the Sun Elf who led the religion of Selune, stood in the center of a raised dais in the middle of the room. Directly across him, the massive, ornate doors swung open on golden hinges, allowing entrance to a single figure. A young, attractive female, with auburn hair, the tips of her Elven ears poking through, dressed in simple white robes, began slowly walking forward in time with the ceremonial drumbeats. Clerics lined her pathway, chanting a hymn to their adored goddess. Finally, she reached the altar where Abbot Talud stood. Taking from the altar two icons, one a massive, ornate icon of Selune, and the other a slimmer, much more simple icon of the same, he turned to face the girl. Crossing the icons before him in an "X" shape, the abbot spoke.

"Esther Seraphwing, do you so swear to bring the light of Selune to the corners of the earth, wherever you feel her call upon your life?"

In a youthful, bell-like voice, the young acolyte responded. "I so swear."

Passing the simpler icon to the initiate, the abbot said "Take up the symbol of you faith." When she grasped the icon, he pressed the large emblem of his icon to that of hers, and intoned a blessing. Immediately, from the other end of the smaller icon, a chain let out, and at the end of it's length, a smaller emblem of Selune appeared.

"You are now bound to serve the Goddess until eternity or your death. Go now, Priestess of Selune."

The gathered clerics and monks burst into applause, welcoming their new sister of the faith. Esther turned, facing the crowd and holding her icon aloft. A soft, golden light emanated from it. Behind her, the abbot took up a simple, red cape and threw it over her shoulders. Esther looked up into the fading light of the evening sky, at the stars, and, most importantly at the Moon whose goddess she now worshiped on behalf of the people of Neverwinter. She had expected to feel different, changed... holy. She felt nothing.
Perhaps that comes in time, she thought to herself. Two years, she worked as a novice, studying the holy texts, observing holidays, performing simple purification rites for the faithful who came to atone. She should feel happy. She felt nothing.
Post edited by ayark on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    (The former Chapter 1 has been deleted. I decided to introduce those characters later in the story. The Prologue is now chapter 1)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ==Chapter 2: The Archives==
    Two months after her initiation, Esther found herself carrying a stack of ancient-looking tomes through a large, cavernous chamber, her way lit by a single candle balanced precariously on the top of the books. This chamber was part of a labyrinth under the city of Neverwinter, consisting of the Royal Vaults, subterranean graveyards, and archives belonging to each of the twelve main temples and the major learning centers of the City of Summer. Parts of it were collapsed, some by the Cataclysm, others by design, as a means of cutting off the Spellplagued sections of the Old City from the restored regions.

Setting the heavy books down ever so gently on a carved wood table, Esther could not help sneezing at the cloud of dust that flew up from the ancient pages, along with a breath of their aroma. She loved the smell of books. It smelled like knowledge in an ignorant world, like a fire on a cold autumn day, like soup to a hungry soul. Most of all, she loved holy texts. That the gods would share their infinite knowledge was proof that they were worthy of worship.

Her task, given her by the Abbot himself, was to help old Elzebul Timewatcher, the temple's records keeper, compile a presentation on the history of Selunianism in preparation for the upcoming Festival of the Moon. The history would be read from the pulpit from the moment the full moon was visible until the first light of dawn, proclaimed across the city by town criers, and posted on public boards. Worshipers from across the realm would gather to hear the words that she herself would write. It was exhilarating. She opened the first tome, dipped her quill in her inkpot, and began to write.

Seven hours and over thirty pages into her presentation, Esther came across a peculiar notation in the biography of Talia Alume, a priestess of Selune some three hundred years before. The notation was a brief reference, between Alume's appointment to deaconess and her death. "Instrumental in putting down the Elloheimist rebellion"- See A History of Heretics, Geris Tantu, vol. 348, page 119

"Elloheimist rebellion? I've never heard of that...", said Esther aloud. Looking around at the stacks of books, Esther glanced back at the page she had just read. "A History of Heretics, volume three-hundred forty-eight... This could be an interesting addition to my history. Apparently, it's not something normally taught." Picking up her candlestick (which, by magic, had not burned out or even diminished in length in all the time she had been in the archives), Esther ventured back into the stacks.

A few minutes later, she found the title she was looking for. Almost a thousand volumes dominated their very own shelf near the center of the back wall. "Three sixty... Three fifty...", she counted, making her way along the rows of books. "Three forty-nine... Three forty-seven?"
    She stopped, looking back over the spines of the books. Three forty-eight was missing. There wasn't even an empty slot where it should be. It was simply... gone.

"Can I help you, child?"

Esther whirled around at the sound of the wispy voice, cracked with age. Her heart pounding, she realized it was only Elzebul Timewatcher, the Archivist. Dressed head-to-toe in burgundy with gold trim, his robes were far more elaborate than Esther's simple white robes. His thin, white hair seemed to float around his head like a cloud, and his beard reached almost to his waist. Slightly pudgy, he bore a number of pockets and satchels on his belt, tightly-rolled scrolls tucked under his arm. It was said that he knew each book in the archives by heart, its' location, and who had asked to borrow it in all his time working in the archives. Esther had taken an immediate liking to him.

"Can I help you?" he repeated, patiently.

"Yes, please. I need to find volume three-hundred forty-eight of this set here, A History of Heretics."

Elzebul took from one of his many pockets a set of thin spectacles, which he perched on his nose. Looking up at the books on the shelf, his eyes darted along their length to where that particular volume ought to have been. Slowly, he looked back at Esther, a condescending smile on his face.

"My dear girl, what ever would you want that book for? Is your assignment not a history on the Selunian religion?"

Esther was slightly taken aback. "Erm, yes, sir. It is. I came across reference to this title in-"

Elzebul cut her off, not impolitely. "I think it may be best to stick with your topic, child. Heretics are not of any import to your task. Leave such matters to the Inquisitors."

"But, sir-"

"I will hear no more of it!" The old man's voice was slightly irritated as he cut her off a second time. "You do not need to chase after the fairy tales invented by others. They poisoned the minds of far more learned priests and priestesses than you. I'll not have your fine young soul corrupted so soon after joining the order. Now, off you go. The festival is in two weeks. If there is anything that I can help you with that will be constructive to your project, please, let me know. Otherwise, I think it best if you continue your task."

Somewhat mystified by the otherwise-congenial man's odd behavior, Esther made her way back to her desk. Sitting down at her quill, she glanced back at the thirty-some pages she had written already. Glancing over her shoulder, she saw that Elzebul was retreating to his own studies in some other dark corner of the massive chamber. Quickly reaching a decision, she closed the book she had been referencing, and turned to another she had selected from the shelves, a thin book, more of a leaflet, entitled Heroes of the Faith. She quickly skimmed through it, and soon found what she was looking for.

The Elloheimist uprising began in the year 1382*, and ended the following year. It was initiated by Deborrah Naumi, and its' primary purpose was the overthrowing of the state religion. Attempts were made by Talia Alume, then-deaconess of the Selunian religion, to secure a compromise between the Elloheimists and followers of the True Faiths. Such attempts were met with vicious opposition by Naumi's followers, and Alume was forced to order the exile of all adherents of this false doctrine. Further reference to this rebellion can be found in Neverwinter: A History, by Lord Nasher Alagondar.

Esther closed the book, an idea forming in her head. Clearly, these Elloheimists were extremists, dangerous exiles. Illustrating the Selunian's victory over their false teachings would add a significant amount of interest to her paper. Indeed, extensive research into this obscure topic might even get her recognized by the Abbot. He might give her other important tasks in the future...

Esther stifled a yawn. Examining the mechno-magical timepiece affixed by a band to her wrist, she decided to call it a night. Gathering her papers and snuffing out her candle, she made her way to the front of the massive chamber, guided by the beam of moonlight at its' entrance. Her mind set on a course of action, she made her way to her novice's quarters on the ground floor of the temple. Stowing her papers in a chest set under the window, she hurriedly said rosaries appropriate for the month, day, and year, made her blessings, and went to sleep.

*As a side note, I am quite unfamiliar with existing D&D lore. Forgive me if I make mistakes with years, names of existing characters, etc. and feel free to enlighten me so that I may correct such mistakes.