test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

(Ant-Monster) Black Ice Gauntlets GRINDING...

lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Militia Barracks
So I've been farming Icewind Pass for a few days, and I'm having a really tough time getting a Great Success on the high end encounters due too the amount of players/DPS/encounters ending too quickly.

I've noticed I can only get Great Success when I'm the first one there, and people don't show up until 0:50-2:00mins later.
The powers I'm using are:

1. Fighter's Recovery
2. Cleave
3. Frontline
4. Enforce Threat
5. Threatening Rush
6. Guarded Assault
7. Shield Talent

I've tried using Enhance Mark + Combat Superiority for quick some time with no luck. Am I missing something here???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    So I've been farming Icewind Pass for a few days, and I'm having a really tough time getting a Great Success on the high end encounters due too the amount of players/DPS/encounters ending too quickly.

I've noticed I can only get Great Success when I'm the first one there, and people don't show up until 0:50-2:00mins later.
    The powers I'm using are:

1. Fighter's Recovery
    2. Cleave
    3. Frontline
    4. Enforce Threat
    5. Threatening Rush
    6. Guarded Assault
    7. Shield Talent

I've tried using Enhance Mark + Combat Superiority for quick some time with no luck. Am I missing something here???

Maybe you could use KC, you deal and receive more Damage...
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I got a great success everytime even if I wasn't there first because I was using single dps powers a lot and making sure mark was on him most of the time. I used lunging strike, anvil of doom and then either griffons wrath or bull charge. When I first got my gauntlets remo was on half hp when I arrived! and I still got them :D Just do as much dps to him as you can and the ads too. I have had 7 gauntlets now in around 50-60 runs.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    I got a great success everytime even if I wasn't there first because I was using single dps powers a lot and making sure mark was on him most of the time. I used lunging strike, anvil of doom and then either griffons wrath or bull charge. When I first got my gauntlets remo was on half hp when I arrived! and I still got them :D Just do as much dps to him as you can and the ads too. I have had 7 gauntlets now in around 50-60 runs.

7!!!!???......

*Uninstalls game*
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Lol, if only they was purchasable in a shop....

I feel your pain as I spend most of my time trying to get a belt from a dragon/skirmish drop, then only a 1 in 6 of the one I want o.0

Hopefully they will both be easier to get in the future :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Seems you can get an epic reward even without "great success", as I got the Elk Tribe shield last night from an "encounter completed"... at least it was actually on my GF for once! As long as you got 180 black ice, you were in the pool to maybe get an epic.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Seems you can get an epic reward even without "great success", as I got the Elk Tribe shield last night from an "encounter completed"... at least it was actually on my GF for once! As long as you got 180 black ice, you were in the pool to maybe get an epic.

You're right. I just got my Black Ice gloves a few mins ago. After 400 years of trying. I didn't get a great success, but I got them nonetheless.
  • Options
    runonnikerunonnike Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You're right. I just got my Black Ice gloves a few mins ago. After 400 years of trying. I didn't get a great success, but I got them nonetheless.

Jealous!! I'm gonna steal them from your account! ;) Jk.
    But when you got them, were you using the encounters you mentioned above?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I FINALLY got my Black Ice gloves.

My rotation when they dropped during Prospector's:

Cleave + Threatening Rush
    Guarded Assault + Combat Superiority
    Knight's Valor + Frontline Surge + Anvil of Doom
    Villain's Menace + Fighter's Recovery (SOS is a very bad idea in an HE encounter with KV on. Done it once and the rage because of the lag I caused. . .)

I was the first person there. I think I had a good balance of offensive and defensive things going on. I also wore the 3 pieces of Black Ice gear I had in order to soak as much damage as possible. I ran into the middle of every mob I came across and rarely blocked, relying on FLS + Fighter's to keep me healthy. I even tabbed the closest mob to stack as many as possible on me.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Anyone without massive aoe dps is pretty much in a bad place when it comes to the HEs in the Pass. The GF is double on that - not only he lacks strong aoe damage, he is also a slow melee class. Any passing by CW can join in an epic HE started by a GF and just take it. I've had it happen to me enough times to become annoying. Last few weeks I got reckless, jumping in aggroing every bloody critter and pumping pots like crazy just to have a few ranged dpsers, who are supposedly controllers but have damage comparable to strikers, come in and take advantage of the slow tank. That is what happens, you go , you start , you take aggro, you waste your pots, they come, drop some cc, melt some critters = you get no gloves. The reason for this sad state of PVE is the high damage of CWs. Give them control leave the damage to warlocks. It has to be one or the other, damage or control if we're to ever have an even playing field for all classes. Who cares if you can tank, who cares if you can heal if someone can just stand 50 feet away and cc/melt the whole thing ?

And we are not even talking about the drop rate here. Cryptic wake up - some classes have to face not one but two RNGs

Thats it
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    I FINALLY got my Black Ice gloves.

My rotation when they dropped during Prospector's:

Cleave + Threatening Rush
    Guarded Assault + Combat Superiority
    Knight's Valor + Frontline Surge + Anvil of Doom
    Villain's Menace + Fighter's Recovery (SOS is a very bad idea in an HE encounter with KV on. Done it once and the rage because of the lag I caused. . .)

I was the first person there. I think I had a good balance of offensive and defensive things going on. I also wore the 3 pieces of Black Ice gear I had in order to soak as much damage as possible. I ran into the middle of every mob I came across and rarely blocked, relying on FLS + Fighter's to keep me healthy. I even tabbed the closest mob to stack as many as possible on me.

Hm, so being a lag inducer actually helps ? I admit I've busted the chops of GFs who pop KV during HEs as things boil to a point where the screen and everything on it pretty much freezes. But hell, if that is what it takes..
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    emilemo wrote: »
    Hm, so being a lag inducer actually helps ? I admit I've busted the chops of GFs who pop KV during HEs as things boil to a point where the screen and everything on it pretty much freezes. But hell, if that is what it takes..

That is what I told the people that were shouting at me. ''Sorry, but we (GFs) need to take damage to stand a chance''. I noticed KV lag was not bad without SOS active and received no complaints with just KV up.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    ipuaiwahaipuaiwaha Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is a very risky strategy, but I was able to get Great Success by pulling multiple groups at once. Just grabbed them all, kept hitting them with Enforced Threat, and use Fighter's Recovery whenever it was up. Since most abilities target cap at 5, but Enforced Threat target caps at 20, you can actually deal a lot of AOE damage by fighting over 5 enemies at once.
  • Options
    runonnikerunonnike Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Today I did motherload with 3 other players. Not only did I crit for 100k with ONE encounter, but I also took more damage than all the other people combined. Do you know what I got? I didn't even get any gear. I GOT A MUTHA****IN TROLL BONE!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've given up on my GWF. I have 46/50 majors 47/50 epics and 100/100 minors and still no dam gloves.

I'm sick of getting splinters and black ice cores. I don't know what else to do, I hate this dam RNG to the core
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ipuaiwaha wrote: »
    This is a very risky strategy, but I was able to get Great Success by pulling multiple groups at once. Just grabbed them all, kept hitting them with Enforced Threat, and use Fighter's Recovery whenever it was up. Since most abilities target cap at 5, but Enforced Threat target caps at 20, you can actually deal a lot of AOE damage by fighting over 5 enemies at once.

This is a very good strategy, If you used enhanced mark, enforced threat + frontline surge and the new knights valor ap gain + spam fighters recovery, you will get TONS of +healing and damage taken.

But it depends which ones you do. For gauntlets its best to go into IWD and start encounters before hand, yeti's, bears, wolves are the best ones (though yetis are f*ing annoying)

Either go all damage, or spam fighter recovery.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I farmed them for weeks on my GWF. I got them, when I did ID domination. We controlled all points and a few minutes were left till the motherlode appeared. Remo had ca. 10% HP left and I decided to take a detour and give him some hits. I arrived ad. ca, 5% HP left, dealt 3-10 hits and got the gauntlets.

I soloed/ duoed all HE exept Remo and motherlode, nothing. Got them for a 10 sec fight. You have to love RNG.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    This is a very good strategy, If you used enhanced mark, enforced threat + frontline surge and the new knights valor ap gain + spam fighters recovery, you will get TONS of +healing and damage taken.

But it depends which ones you do. For gauntlets its best to go into IWD and start encounters before hand, yeti's, bears, wolves are the best ones (though yetis are f*ing annoying)

Either go all damage, or spam fighter recovery.

Well, I got the bloody gloves last night along with 2 other purple drops ( Elk tribe weapon set - the axe is wayyy too small, the shield looks awesome ). I didnt use KV, here's my setup:

At will - Crushing Surge / ToI
    Enc - lunge/frontline/ET for the masses and lunge/Kc/AoD for the boss
    passives - Shield Talent + GA
    Daily - TI and FR

I got the gloves from the Bears. Went there at 15 min alone, started soloing 4 bears, as more people were arriving I just pulled everything at once. Heavy use of FR thruout the fight and for the boss Id use KC and FR together so I could fight him without blocking for mega damage done/received. The Glyph I had in my helmet also helped alot I believe with added aoe damage. The elk weapons dropped from 2 Corrupted Wolves HEs which I mostly soloed.

When I think about it the actual ability setup or build is not the most important thing. What really matters is to go first, aggro the hell out of everything and hold that aggro. For example, as a GF, if your HP stops droppin during a HE you've lost it. That mostly happens when too many Damage pardon Control Wizards pile upon it.

Thats it then, best of luck to everyone who still grinds that bloody content
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    emilemo wrote: »
    When I think about it the actual ability setup or build is not the most important thing. What really matters is to go first, aggro the hell out of everything and hold that aggro. For example, as a GF, if your HP stops droppin during a HE you've lost it. That mostly happens when too many Damage pardon Control Wizards pile upon it.

I think I agree here. We've now seen 3 pretty different rotations getting the gloves to drop from myself, Ant-Monster and you. That leaves eating damage as the likely decider. I myself have admitted all was lost when my health bar did not budge. The problem here is not only a huge number of uber DPSers but also other tanks (GFs) and off-tanks (GWFs) ''stealing'' the damage. I myself am guilty of running into the red another GF is sitting in, basically stealing his aggro.

But this isn't a guarantee though. I have been the only melee class at a Beholder fight and I got nothing even though I had him turned away from the ranged guys and was eating all of his damage.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Moral of the story - even if you literally kill yourself tanking, the RNG devil will cheat you of a drop and laugh at your misery.
  • Options
    nezraalnezraal Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The reason why farming the gloves & weapon is tough is because the items are that much rewarding. Check my join date, and I haven't hit 350 on the rep yet, (currently 330) and was able to drop the glove + hammer after constant tries. Was I lucky? Of course, but I also believe you have to create opportunities for luck to come to you and don't give up ! :) Good luck!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I've been doing IWD on the GF for under 10 days, so it remains to be seen what happens. Since I tend towards just doing whatever encounters that come up while I'm around rather than endlessly farming, I might not see a major heroic encounter very often.

When I got the shield I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I was basically playing in a fashion that leaves my character near death a lot of the time. As long as I can keep comboing Fighter's Recovery and Anvil in the nick of time, I should never actually die, but I do spend a lot of time swearing and going, "ahhhh, come on!"

Probably I could revamp a few things to go more defensive and less offensive for heroics.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    lnsolveelnsolvee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited September 2014
    It looks like total luck in my opinion, I got my gautlets in 1h-1h30 (around 15 HE's), If I remember well, I was using Lunging strike+anvil of doom+frontline (as you can see, it's not the best set-up to have at all for DPS). I also got a belt (DEX one) while having this setup at the dragon in rothey valley..
    I am Elros the Guardian Fighter.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    lnsolvee wrote: »
    (as you can see, it's not the best set-up to have at all for DPS)

DPS should not be required for a GF to get items drops, though I think all classes are aware that luck is huge because even if you qualify, RNG still determines what prize you get.

But damage taken is a factor in HE "scoring".

Neverwinter Census 2017