test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Epic Boss Loot

bige03bige03 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
When a boss drops an epic piece of loot why does it bind to character when for example i am a GWF and the piece is for CW?
I kinda understand the chest loot is for my current type i am playing but the random boss loot in my opinion should be binds on equip...Once in a while i get a nice set piece with bonus stats and i cant use it or give it to one of my other alts or even sell it on the AH and have no choice but to salvage it for AD...they might as well have AD drop instead or gear if its going to be bound to character.
Post edited by bige03 on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bige03 wrote: »
    When a boss drops an epic piece of loot why does it bind to character when for example i am a GWF and the piece is for CW?
    I kinda understand the chest loot is for my current type i am playing but the random boss loot in my opinion should be binds on equip...Once in a while i get a nice set piece with bonus stats and i cant use it or give it to one of my other alts or even sell it on the AH and have no choice but to salvage it for AD...they might as well have AD drop instead or gear if its going to be bound to character.

In some cases it may bind, but AFAIK, that isn't intended - you should file a bug report for that exact instance. Is this happening in all areas, or only certain bosses/dungeons?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    bige03bige03 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I do VT alot and whenever i win the epic boss loot roll its bound to character. I have yet to win a drop that i can do anything with other than salvage.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    In some cases it may bind, but AFAIK, that isn't intended - you should file a bug report for that exact instance. Is this happening in all areas, or only certain bosses/dungeons?

Considering that it's happened since mod 1 and then followed it up with mod 2 and 3, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it's intended and pretty stupidly designed. BoP is one thing that's killing the game.
  • Options
    tharrisxtharrisx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    IMHO, if it's not compatible with your current toon's class, then it should never be bound on drop. If epic loot comes from a chest, and it's your class, I feel that may be the only reason for making it bound on drop.

But this is another voice yelling into the wind.
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    To the OP...some dungeons only drop BOP loot. That is is the way it is. It is WAI. YOu never said which dungeon and which boss.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If it is a drop (and not collected from a chest) it *should* be BoE. If it's BoP and you can't use it (wrong class), it's almost certainly a bug.
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    When the game 1st came out everything was BoE, the AH was flooded with epic gear because the dungeons were too easy and based on the same mechanics ie adds, adds and more adds, once you were done with adds they'd thrown in a few more. This lead to 3 CW teams clearing dungeons in 30 minutes or using exploits to go even faster. So cryptic in their infinite wisdom decide to make everything BoP rather than think and work hard at redesigning dungeon mechanics. It was a lazy move but what can anybody do...
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    T1 and T2 set pieces dropped from bosses should be BoE. There are a few oddball purple loot items that are BoP (Shroudcloth Bindings, Hardened Dragonscale Armor) and while I have reported many of these, I don't know if any have ever actually been addressed. High Prophet boots used to drop BoP but were fixed, I think.

Fallen Dragon and Fomorian off-hand items are intentionally BoP, for good or for awful. Yes, this amounts to a lot of incredibly wasteful salvage.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    glowingemberglowingember Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i wish they would sticky this or something so people stop asking this question - the answer is this:

Because of how the loot from castle neverwinter constantly found its way onto the auction house for people to make astral diamonds. People would run this dungeon constantly and put the treasure up for sale. We are talking about people running this dungeon 6 + times a day, so that excessive amounts of this gear would end up for sale. The intention of bind on pick up is not meant to irritate you. It is meant to force you to work for the best gear in the game rather then just picking it up from the store. Before you go and say - but those rings are only going for 20,000 diamonds right now, well, before they were going for a lot more than that.

This was also before salvage was implemented. I have never seen salvage as wasteful - i see it as the dev's saying congrats - you did well, have some rough diamonds.

to repeat the important part: if you want the best gear in the game, then you have to work for it - you can not just level up a character, slap down some diamonds and say, there - now i am a top tier adventurer.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    to repeat the important part: if you want the best gear in the game, then you have to work for it - you can not just level up a character, slap down some diamonds and say, there - now i am a top tier adventurer.

But you can heh. so idk what thats about.

PS agree I dont mind the salvager, it was a good idea after the bop change. but that quoted part just isnt true. except weapons those are all worked for unless CN is your goal for a weapon, and if you count "work" as lvlin profession for fomorion/vt

also yes the hardened scale is the one that always comes to mind bop
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I only refer to salvaging as "wasteful" on the Fallen Dragon and Fomorian off-hands because if you win one of these that you can't use but that would be good for another of your characters, you kinda wanna cry.

For the most part, I'm fine with it.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I have never seen salvage as wasteful
    Well I have. There was a time where I had half a million ready to salvage. That's when I was playing decent multiplayer content when it was all rewarding. I'd say that's pretty freaking wasteful. I did eventually use it all back up because no content became worth doing and got ~200k again since I was doing a lot of pvp for the 2x rp event and salvage LoL stuff.

That's great. I got pretty much BiS stuff. What now? Increase my salvage backlog? Continue playing just to not be rewarded or progress, which is kind of an important part of an mmorpg. More time for me was spent doing dailies, than was needed playing dungeons. Even for LoL I'd be better off using my AD to buy them gem, I can ignore the other loot and I'd waste less of my time. If I wanted to play a single player game, I'd pick something that didn't rip me off and was designed better anyway.
  • Options
    djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    That's great. I got pretty much BiS stuff. What now? Increase my salvage backlog? Continue playing just to not be rewarded or progress, which is kind of an important part of an mmorpg. More time for me was spent doing dailies, than was needed playing dungeons. Even for LoL I'd be better off using my AD to buy them gem, I can ignore the other loot and I'd waste less of my time. If I wanted to play a single player game, I'd pick something that didn't rip me off and was designed better anyway.

Gratz u have beaten the game, and yes you are the top 0,1 %(or you exploited the hell out of it), unfortunately Cryptic aint making the game for you tbh. So basicly if you are done making alts, and gotten all your boons, then the only thing left is either to play foundry mission(because its fun, not for shiny loot) or well you know go do something els with your time, and then come back to this in half a year(where you will still be top 2-3%...) and see what new stuff you can do...
  • Options
    bobherkamerbobherkamer Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2014
    djarkaan wrote: »
    When the game 1st came out everything was BoE, the AH was flooded with epic gear because the dungeons were too easy and based on the same mechanics ie adds, adds and more adds, once you were done with adds they'd thrown in a few more. This lead to 3 CW teams clearing dungeons in 30 minutes or using exploits to go even faster. So cryptic in their infinite wisdom decide to make everything BoP rather than think and work hard at redesigning dungeon mechanics. It was a lazy move but what can anybody do...

dungeons were easy because they had extreme exploits.
    When this game was released it was a mess.
    and getting worse
  • Options
    mareatlanticummareatlanticum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 202 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014

Can't understand it either. They should trash whole Character BoP concept and make everything account bound instead and as much not bound at all as possible, so you could sell items you don't need and buy items you need from AH.
    bioshrike wrote: »

I have gotten plenty of BoP wrong class purple items in Icewind Dale, probably already for all other classes, but for some reason HR items, especially bows seem to be common finds for my CW...
    Give us 4 or more power/item bar profiles so we can change powers and items with one click that are suited for the situation.
  • Options
    group5egroup5e Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ...to repeat the important part: if you want the best gear in the game, then you have to work for it - you can not just level up a character, slap down some diamonds and say, there - now i am a top tier adventurer.

Uhmmm this is not the same game I've been playing for a while. Best armor sets... T2 (proven time and time again and not much work), best weapon... artifact weapon (simple dailys until it unlocks then you can buy refinements for it and get it to epic for best-in-slot), artifacts... (again, you can buy them and their refinement materials as many wallet-warriors have just done), etc... basically enough AD will fast-track you to the annuls of the WWHOF (Wallet Warrior Hall of Fame). Also, the irrelevancy of crafting for weapons now has made the grind that much less.

So yes, you can buy all of it and rather quickly. I remember when artifact belts where introduced... the next day I see people running around with them at legendary :P. Or even artifact weapons... once they got enough sigils and coins to unlock it, they just bought all the refinement mats :P.

I agree, it should take some effort, but for you to say that's how it is definitely.... well.... no its not unfortunately and there are lots of people running around that can prove you wrong :(.

As for BoP... who cares to be honest. If VT equipment was made BoE, then the market would be flooded with those items instead of CN items :P.... and we would still be faced with the same problem. I think most weapons and armours in the game should be BoP with the CHANCE to to drop a rare BoE version at the boss (across all dungeons). Just my opinion though xD.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The problem with making dungeon drops BoA is that it will greatly reduce the amount of farming/grinding one has to do on their alts to gear up, meaning you will invest less time in the game, which is something Cryptic will not be so keen on. I do feel that any drops from bosses should be BoE and the class-relevant stuff you loot from chests BoP. I don't buy gear from AH so I couldn't give two hoots about the AH being potentially flooded. Far too many people put stuff up on AH for a lot less than what their salvage value is which makes absolutely no sense to me, which is partly why said market is flooded to begin with.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    djoffer1 wrote: »
    Gratz u have beaten the game, and yes you are the top 0,1 %(or you exploited the hell out of it), unfortunately Cryptic aint making the game for you tbh. So basicly if you are done making alts, and gotten all your boons, then the only thing left is either to play foundry mission(because its fun, not for shiny loot) or well you know go do something els with your time, and then come back to this in half a year(where you will still be top 2-3%...) and see what new stuff you can do...

It's an MMO, there shouldn't be a clear "you're done" part, rather only when you want to move on rather being almost forced to. And most of my time should be spent doing stuff with other players, not spent doing dailies by myself. Foundries may be good for some people, but they're easy, unrewarding, don't allow a lot of scripting of adds, don't allow true boss fights and could do with more customisation. From beta-release there was a lot of content to enjoy. From mod1-4 there was little content to enjoy. They could've easily made it more fun, but no they focused on player restrictions and user unfriendly interfaces. They had a change in direction and it frankly sucks.
  • Options
    sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's an MMO, there shouldn't be a clear "you're done" part, rather only when you want to move on rather being almost forced to. And most of my time should be spent doing stuff with other players, not spent doing dailies by myself. Foundries may be good for some people, but they're easy, unrewarding, don't allow a lot of scripting of adds, don't allow true boss fights and could do with more customisation. From beta-release there was a lot of content to enjoy. From mod1-4 there was little content to enjoy. They could've easily made it more fun, but no they focused on player restrictions and user unfriendly interfaces. They had a change in direction and it frankly sucks.

If your done lvl another char... that's what i do when i get bored or just feel like moving on (as i have yet to hit the "you're done" mark on any char). Then you get to experience all that pre mod 1 content you love so much, over and over and over again.
  • Options
    rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I do VT alot and whenever i win the epic boss loot roll its bound to character. I have yet to win a drop that i can do anything with other than salvage.

The offhands that drop from 1st boss and and Dread Legion armor that drops from Valindra are BoP. All other drops (mostly T1 gear from Valindra) are BoE.
  • Options
    rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    djarkaan wrote: »
    When the game 1st came out everything was BoE, the AH was flooded with epic gear because the dungeons were too easy

You are totally wrong. The T2 dungeons (specially ToS and Karr) were actually too hard for the large majority of players. The reason AH was flooded is because there were several exploits that allowed people to complete the dungeons fast and with parties that wouldn't be able to complete them otherwise.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Considering that it's happened since mod 1 and then followed it up with mod 2 and 3, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it's intended and pretty stupidly designed. BoP is one thing that's killing the game.
    ^ding ding ding

have gotten wrong-class bop gear forever.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rlrobr wrote: »
    You are totally wrong. The T2 dungeons (specially ToS and Karr) were actually too hard for the large majority of players. The reason AH was flooded is because there were several exploits that allowed people to complete the dungeons fast and with parties that wouldn't be able to complete them otherwise.

there were exploits that allowed people to skip straight to the boss in less than 5 minutes, and in some cases "reset" the boss and kill it again, over and over back to back...
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lirithiel wrote: »
    Far too many people put stuff up on AH for a lot less than what their salvage value is which makes absolutely no sense to me, which is partly why said market is flooded to begin with.

That's due to the 24K AD per day limit. Some would rather sacrifice a bit of AD and get the rest as refined versus salvaging and having a huge refinement backlog (I am in that position now). However, if they raised the refining limit, the AH would suffer for the "average" items which means lower level and new 60's would have a tougher time getting certain gear.

At the very least, I'd like to get a character-appropriate transmute piece of gear in skirmishes (I'm looking at you Dread Legion skirmish).
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    sexwax45 wrote: »
    If your done lvl another char... that's what i do when i get bored or just feel like moving on (as i have yet to hit the "you're done" mark on any char). Then you get to experience all that pre mod 1 content you love so much, over and over and over again.

The main thing I enjoyed was running CN that always dropped 4 epic BoE items. It was always worth doing no matter how many times you ran it. Anyway, I already have 8 characters, one of each class plus a 2nd gwf that was meant to be aimed for pvp so there's not really any need to create any more unless another class came out. Months ago all I needed would be an updated version of CN to keep me interested. Now I'm kind of torn. Progressing in AD through crafting and the AH is some sort of goal and the only one I have left, though would have been more fulfilling if I could get that progression from actual playing. There's not much to keep be playing, however it'd be nice to see what tiamat brings, and mod 6 promises 'big things'. However I'm unsure whether another round of dailies will be worth it, and should just ignore the marketing over mod 6 since marketing especially here is not really something to have good faith in.

Admittedly I probably spent too much time on too many toons which allows me to get fed up of repetitive and unrewarding stuff much easily and had too much free time to do so. I just think it's a shame that the new direction made an otherwise compelling game feel more isolating to me and unrewarding, as well as neglect through fixes.