test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Loot Rolls in Epic Dungeons

shibazakurashibazakura Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
There has been a lot of discussions and opinions based on what to do with loot rolls in epic dungeons. I figured that I needed to discuss on this because there have been many arguments between party members on this, and there nothing much worse than fighting over something like this when the final boss has been defeated, it ruins the whole experience.

There are a few setups which are common in Neverwinter, or any other mmorpg for that matter. The typical setups of loot rolls include: -

1) Greed on all epic (purple) equipment and need on everything else, including epic profession resources (Malabog’s Blade Fragment, etc.).

2) Greed on everything that drops.

3) Seldom, where a party agrees on a free for all, the party members can need on anything if they desire to.

There are exceptions though.

Fallen Dragon Weapons and Fomorian Gears off-hand equipment from Valindra’s Tower and Malabog’s Castle respectively are bind on pickup, and referring to the setups above (excluding the 3rd one), these epic equipment are usually needed by their respective classes, and on some occasions, they ask permission from the other members first.
About Castle Never’s case, it is usually need on the first 3 epic drops and greed on the final one. This is all good and fair but I just want to know one thing, why did this come about? If it’s greed on all the epic equipment, then aren’t the results going to be the same too?

There are some cases about the ones who need on epic equipment on greed runs.

This is not cool, it ruins the fun of the adventure. I’m not particularly fond of kicking anyone out from a party, but if the majority of the party members want it, then goodbye.
These incidents (or sometimes accidents) happen a lot more recently, because of the implementation of the epic dungeon keys. The effect is not as bad when the keys weren’t implemented yet. However, I’m sure the other party members have their hearts broken deep down inside when this kind of thing happens.

Dungeon runs should be fun, but also has to have some guidelines when running one. This is in order to avoid any conflict (expect for the mobs and bosses, of course) and also to make new friends along the way.

We are all heroes in Neverwinter and we should act like heroes. Isn’t defeating the boss enough? We don’t need to create new enemies over what the boss drops.

I know this post is a bit lengthy, a bit obvious and have been discussed by previous members in the past but I felt I just needed to take my opinion out there. Thank you for taking your time reading this.
Post edited by shibazakura on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Let me start off by stating the "typical" NW loot roles are based on need, not greed. It's the only controlled way in the game, and therefor any other agreement is at your own risk/discretion. I don't need another RNG roll when finally an item for my class drops. It's the greedy people that demand greed runs that create the potential for drama. If everyone simply followed the intended and controlled loot rules, there would be no problem.

I see your point but I must state that the majority of the players of NW don't follow the intended and controlled loot rules, and just follow what seems to be the norm of the loot rolls, greed on epics and need of everything else. However, total greed runs in my opinion is the most fair out of the other runs, it gives equal opportunity to all the members of a party.
  • Options
    hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you run with friends and they need something while you dont, u pass.

If you run with friends for AD then need on everything without a class req (neck/ring/belts) and greed on everything with a class req (weapon, armor etc).

If you run with pugs then need on everything you can need on, because there is always someone that will screw u over.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    How is it fair to add another RNG so people get a second chance at beating the RNG? Isn't beating it once enough with the abyssmal drop rate being what it is?

I have to agree on you that the drop rate can be a bit absurd but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't give equal opportunity to all the members in our respective parties. RNG or not, extremely rare drops will appear if we are lucky. and also, I'm saying that when it is a greed run and everyone agrees it is a greed run, then there is no harm in it. For one thing, it'a already been made fair with everyone agreeing and it give an equal roll to all the members. But I have to be a bit contradictory and say that there are exceptions to this, and that is to the off hands in vt and mc.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You're still missing the point. There already is an equal opportunity for everyone. And that's when the game drops its loot. There is no reason for players to roll again to get your "fair chance". You've already had it.

Ok, i'll take your word for it. NW should be played according to how its devs intended it, and not the norm of how the majority of players choose to.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    However, total greed runs in my opinion is the most fair out of the other runs, it gives equal opportunity to all the members of a party.

I don't see how this makes sense at all. The only reason people pick greed on epics is because they are running for AD and not all classes are equal price-wise. All loot that does not have a class requirement can be needed by anyone, so everyone still gets a fair shot at them. So, what's the difference between greed only and greed on epics?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So, what's the difference between greed only and greed on epics?

Non-epic items are greeded too so that everyone in a party has a fair chance of getting items to sell them for gold, or if they want to, sell on the AH. If, for an example, only CW items drop during the whole run of a dungeon, then there'll be no chance for the other classes to get them. Greed on epics implies only greeding the purple equipment which drops from a boss.
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's the greedy people that demand greed runs that create the potential for drama. If everyone simply followed the intended and controlled loot rules, there would be no problem.

If everyone did that, people with T2 sets would never do dungeons again, especially not with the lesser geared people. A fair chance at everything is a strange definition of "greed".
    You get your chance right there: 1 in 7 that the drop is for you.

Those odds get worse when there are other members of your class in the group too. In fact, the odds are already worse since it's bosses rarely drop class specific gear, and even more rarely do they drop the specific set piece you're going for.

"Usable by only your class" is not a synonym for "needed".
  • Options
    anharmonanharmon Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2014
    I think one problem with "need if you actually need the equipment" is that there's some randomness involved. As poster above mentioned, if you're running with a party that has other members of your class, then your odds are much lower than otherwise. Also, bosses may not drop all class's items equally, and what not.

That said, the discussion is pretty much irrelevant. To change the system to something ideal, you would need to change the mindset of the entire community. As it is, I think greed runs are pretty fair given that it gives people a 1/5 chance on every piece of epic loot and that doing it the "intended" way would require you to rely on a stranger's word that they'll only "need" stuff they need.

EDIT: Ninja'd, "poster above me" is no longer poster above me.
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I don't understand how you can call it more fair to do a greed run. There's already an RNG in place deciding for which class to drop. You get it, or you don't. Plain and simple. You get your chance right there: 1 in 7 that the drop is for you.

no it isnt,
    1)many ppl dont want the loot for themselves but for sale, difference between price of an item may be 10x depending on class
    2)there often are more than 1 of a certain class so the chance to get your item is much worse
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Why even have need/greed? Just have greed/pass option IMO.

If it is a PUG group, then it is a greed run most likely.

If it is an in-house guild/friends run, then everyone is just gonna pass except for that one person who needs it.

Just change the system cryptic because frankly, the current one is giving more problems than convenience.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Let me start off by stating the "typical" NW loot roles are based on need, not greed. It's the only controlled way in the game, and therefor any other agreement is at your own risk/discretion. I don't need another RNG roll when finally an item for my class drops. It's the greedy people that demand greed runs that create the potential for drama. If everyone simply followed the intended and controlled loot rules, there would be no problem.

I've yet to meet someone that would actually equip the item after needing a t2 item piece. I have never seen it. The reason why is that it would be extremely foolish to do so with how much they are worth when you can keep running for it in your chest.

Need has always been considered ninja'ing on boe gear in every mmo I've played. If you want to be able to need, get cryptic to change it all to BoP. That is the only way you don't look like the selfish blank.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    And why not? Aren't we in a guild/ legit channel for a reason? It's to have players to play with. If I need a CW for a dungeon, and the CW in question needs a HV drop, why wouldn't I help him/her? It's in my own best interest to do so. And with a little luck I get a drop I can sell or use to boot. People need to stop wanting to compete over PvE. That's what PvP is for.

If I'm doing a 100% guild run, trying to gear up guildmates, then it's up to me (as leader) to find an agreeable way to deal with the loot. In such a case, I, personally, do need runs. But since my guild is small, and I very rarely have a whole group. If I go outside the guild to fill the group, we do greed, because that's what's fair for the outsider.

Mostly, I do legit runs. I do those runs because I want to sell loot to buy enchants, companions, mounts and other stuff that won't drop. Call me what you will, but I rarely do T1 runs, where I know I won't get anything. The exception to that rule is helping DCs get HP gear.
    If I need a CW for a dungeon, and the CW in question needs a HV drop, why wouldn't I help him/her?/

What if that HV seeker needs on a SW piece? What if that CW already has the piece that dropped?

I'm not telling you, or anyone else, how to deal with loot. I'm addressing the earlier question of which is more fair: need or greed?

IMO, the group leader should have the option to remove need rolls from the group at the start.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Greed runs are the norm. And the norm within greed runs is to greed on everything BoE aka "can be sold for profit" and has a class restriction. That's why you 3/4 need in CN and greed on last boss. VT/MC profession resources is Need, as well as any Shards or Artifacts. Armor that drops in VT is Need as well as VT/MC offhand, because BoP. It's not that hard.

I also greed on BoP items that I already own, because they are salvage fodder.

Anything else has to be proclaimed at the start of a run or it'll lead to ignores. The problem is simple: The current system was installed at a time (soon after the BETA) where it made sense, because most players were still gearing up. It's useless for endgame raids which probably by now are the majority of dungeon runs and therefore the system needs an overhaul.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    ...the norm within greed runs is to greed on everything BoE aka "can be sold for profit" and has a class restriction. That's why you 3/4 need in CN and greed on last boss.

Oh I see, thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Greed runs are the norm. And the norm within greed runs is to greed on everything BoE aka "can be sold for profit" and has a class restriction. That's why you 3/4 need in CN and greed on last boss. VT/MC profession resources is Need, as well as any Shards or Artifacts. Armor that drops in VT is Need as well as VT/MC offhand, because BoP. It's not that hard.

I've never played like that. Every run I do is greed on ALL. The only exceptions being off hands from VT and MC, and spitting on Draco drops is becoming more popular, which is why I haven't been doing CN. Need on an artifact or piece of MC/VT MH, I'll never group with you again.
  • Options
    vedran541vedran541 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Mindflayer rules are the best. Need on <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, greed on BoE epics
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    I've never played like that. Every run I do is greed on ALL. The only exceptions being off hands from VT and MC, and spitting on Draco drops is becoming more popular, which is why I haven't been doing CN. Need on an artifact or piece of MC/VT MH, I'll never group with you again.

You force players to greed on their offhands in MC/VT considering the drop rates? I gladly accept your ignore. And need on items that can be needed by everyone (no class restriction) counters ninjaing. It makes sense. VT artifact was like >10M for a long time, I didn't risk it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The current loot system, which clearly favors need over greed, proves you couldn't be more wrong.
    Please don't confuse personal preference with intended game mechanics.

As I've stated, the current mechanic does not represent a proper system for the current state of the game in my eyes. It made sense months ago and is outdated.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The current loot system, which clearly favors need over greed, proves you couldn't be more wrong.
    Please don't confuse personal preference with intended game mechanics.

There are mechanical limitations and social limitations. Being able to hit need is mechanically possible but socially unacceptable. To use a real world example there is nothing that physically stops me from running over panhandlers with my car, just like there is nothing that stops someone from hitting need, however they are socially unacceptable. I'll be tried for at least attempted murder if I ran them over and needers will be ostracized by many.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You force players to greed on their offhands in MC/VT considering the drop rates?

As I said.....
    The only exceptions being off hands from VT and MC...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    As I said.....

Ah sorry, I missed that. We're not far apart then.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    With only one exception, everyone in the game is a stranger to me. PUGs are the only ones I've ever seen do need runs.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Really? Then I ask you to enlighten me.
    What's wrong with a system that helps to protect people from greedy team-mates? And you can still do your private greed runs if you wish. You just need to learn not to do them with strangers.

The system doesn't help protect anyone form greedy teammates, it's just the other way round today.

Months ago, a lot of players were gearing up and items they could use were taken away by players that wanted to sell them for ADs.
    Today, a lot of players are grinding for ADs and items they can sell are taken away by players that are either greedy (more likely) or want to gear up (T2 mostly).

If I gear up, I do it with BoP items exclusively. Stuff from the DD chests mostly (T2 runs are quick and easy, you'll get it eventually). The campaign stuff is BoP anyway, so no issues there. I would even go as far as selling a piece of armor from the T2 dungeons for cash instead of wearing it and wait until I get the piece BoP. Because it makes sense and will net you decent ADs.