Options

PvE come on Cryptic

2»

Comments

• Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    . So overgear if you must, but expect to be bored till the game catches up with you. That's how every game works.

Not true at all.

In another MMO I played for years, I needed all the best gear that was to tackle raids. Game was designed properly to cater to the 1%, and indeed only about 1% saw Naxxramas, one of the last raids in the vanilla version.

It worked just fine, raiders would do their hardcore raiding thing, and casuals would do their casual thing too. Everybody was happy.

Now the system is even more elaborate, the game offers entry level for people wanting to experience the content/lore, and higher difficulty raiding for casual/hardcore and even more difficult raiding for the truly hardcore.

Again, working out amazingly fine.
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Errr? Given that /LFG is again totally dominated by requests for CWs I really don't think the problem with your CW is a class thing.....

Power creep is the primary reason, but another major one why many dungeons are so face-roll is that certain classes are way out of line in PvE, and the dungeons were designed (I hope) so that any class can complete them.

If they make all the classes within around, say, 20% of each others DPS then they can create new challenging dungeon without totally excluding everyone who isn't a CW. Anyone who truly wants a challenging dungeon should understand this is likely to only be achievable once classes are decently balanced.

the problem is lack of sprint. 1 gwf had 13k power and 2nd 8.5 so by the time my slowpoke got there mobs were mostly dead :D

but i do think that gwf/sw should be top dps, cw cc is just sick even if it doesnt do much dmg
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not true at all.

In another MMO I played for years, I needed all the best gear that was to tackle raids. Game was designed properly to cater to the 1%, and indeed only about 1% saw Naxxramas, one of the last raids in the vanilla version.

It worked just fine, raiders would do their hardcore raiding thing, and casuals would do their casual thing too. Everybody was happy.

Now the system is even more elaborate, the game offers entry level for people wanting to experience the content/lore, and higher difficulty raiding for casual/hardcore and even more difficult raiding for the truly hardcore.

Again, working out amazingly fine.
    The game you are talking about is 10 years old and supported by subscription. Of course it has more/better content than a 1-year-old FTP game. It almost certainly has a different demographic as well, and therefore a different mix of player needs to be catered for.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    abecassisabecassis Member Posts: 255 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    The game you are talking about is 10 years old and supported by subscription. Of course it has more/better content than a 1-year-old FTP game. It almost certainly has a different demographic as well, and therefore a different mix of player needs to be catered for.

Seeing as this game is highly supported by the ZEN store, and makes a lot more money if you look at the playerbase % and income. It shouldent be too hard
    Dr. Phil
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just take a look at wild star and their rapidly dwindling servers for an idea how successful hardcore and difficult raid content is with today's players.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Just take a look at wild star and their rapidly dwindling servers for an idea how successful hardcore and difficult raid content is with today's players.

I played wilstar and their dungeons are so fun and challenging its insane. Too bad not enough players like that and they need to find a balance between hardcore players and casuals. Give a little to everyone and not everything to someone. Same as this game which obviously took the opposite route
    Dr. Phil
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Actually, there's no reason they should. It's obvious the game doesn't have content for say 15k+ GS. Overgearing is your problem, not the game's. It's your choice if you want to go running around with 20k BiS gear, but you can't expect the game to keep up with the 300 people that have the money/resources/botted stuff while the remaining 150k people aren't even halfway. So overgear if you must, but expect to be bored till the game catches up with you. That's how every game works.

the ppl who earned perfect enchants and 15~20k gs could faceroll dungeons in blues
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    burkaanc wrote: »
    the ppl who earned perfect enchants and 15~20k gs could faceroll dungeons in blues

Because enchants make a bigger difference then the gear. Which is totally wrong. I mean i have never seen a game where the enchants give greater stats then the game
    Dr. Phil
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    But if they released castel never 1 years ago with 5 people being able to finish it while they cant do another dungeon like that now? I dont pve. I dont like it. Its just not worth my time to kill dragons in order to obtain nothing.
    Castel never at least had good drops for over 1 year and was worth playing it.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    abecassis wrote: »
    Seeing as this game is highly supported by the ZEN store, and makes a lot more money if you look at the playerbase % and income. It shouldent be too hard
    I'd be interested in seeing the figures you have for the comparable incomes and profit margins of the two games. Or are you just guessing?

Even if we accept comparable incomes (which I personally doubt) the other game has had 10 times as long to get things right. And there were hiccups along the way.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    But if they released castel never 1 years ago with 5 people being able to finish it while they cant do another dungeon like that now? I dont pve. I dont like it. Its just not worth my time to kill dragons in order to obtain nothing.
    Castel never at least had good drops for over 1 year and was worth playing it.

Most people can't finish Castle Never NOW. And why should the devs spend 100s of hours designing a super-hard dungeon for the top 0.1% who will wind up overgearing it in a month's time anyway and whine on the forums about how "everything's too easy"?
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And just a reminder:

THIS game is *not* THAT OTHER game.

If you want to play THAT OTHER game, go play it.

If you want to play THIS game, play it.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    So many psychics here! Closing this down for trollish presumptions and targeted topic. Please find existing threads or better ways to provide feedback, and do so in an non-insulting and constructive manner. Thanks!

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.