What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

confidence-building measures

Comments

• Options
    iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I'm actually less worried about goldsellers farming / generating AD than I am of the large ego epeen types that will decide, for fun, 'All Coal Wards will now cost 1 Million AD Each'.

Such an individual would, using a large sum of AD obtained from 'somewhere', just buy up all Coal Wards selling for less than 1 million, and repost at 1 million each.

That's a extreme example. There are other markets that would be more easily cornered, and with less visibility. Check the market for epic crafting resources. The tools are all well over 1M AD each. But, what if someone bought 'em all, and reposted for, say, 3x the current cost? That's a bit more plausible.

If large sums of AD keep getting pumped into the game, and controlled by a few, what will these individuals do to get 'even richer' once the current holes are plugged? ( Find another hole, of course )

I think a few of them will decide to go into more direct market manipulation than we've yet seen.

This began happening with coal wards when they were 2-300k. Look at how many on the AH are sold by 1 player account. I counted 12 coal wards at 760k from a single account, others had 8, 6, 10 on one account just yesterday. So what you're suggesting is already happening, just not to the extreme you suggested...yet. There is a thread on the forums where a group of people are encouraged to play the market continuously. That in and of itself is not a bad thing, in fact, some of the advice is very helpful, but they are really pushing the limits of the economy at the expense of f2p players. I wouldn't say all of them or maybe even any of them are directly responsible for the economy issues. But it's possible someone with the same information has taken things to the extreme. After reading some of the posts in that thread, I've been very, very wary of anything on the AH, and of playing the game at all. I still login, invoke, and rotate my professions, but I'm not really doing much else at this point.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • Options
    jennyavarieljennyavariel Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 167
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    This solution always sounds like, "I got mine, I don't care if you get yours."

Actually, no, I don't 'got mine'. I'm a new player. I was able to buy some zen, and got it during the 'charge rewards weekend', so I have some green companions. I bought the coal wards when we were told to, to get the green cleric companion.

I sold those off, of course. I'm nowhere near 60.

When I do get to 60, I'll craft myself a couple of 'lesser' enchants. I've already worked up some rank 5s, just using the stuff that drops now and then, and preservation wards.

I have looked at the numbers, and making r7s with pres wards is cheaper than buying coal wards.

So, I'll have to buy some more pres wards for zen, or use AD.

I believe that the tier 1 purple set is still gotten with random drops, in the lower level dungeons? That gear + rank 6s / 7s + a team that works together can then work through the harder dungeons, and earn a set of teir 2.

Players who were here last year will *naturally* have better gear than what I can earn in a few months. After I've been here for a year ( and bought 20 dollars of zen every month, on average ), my gear will be pretty good. Maybe not BIS, but pretty good.

In other MMOs, it also takes a while to get BIS. And BIS moves around a lot... In SWTOR, 'BIS' goes up around once every 6 months. When a new top level dungeon is released, it has a new top level of gear. Gear drops there are more random than here, and you can only run those dungeons once / week.

So, if you're new to the game, like me....

Play the game. Enjoy the game. Refine up your own enchants. A friend of mine did mention that you start getting 4s later on, so if you want, you could just keep a *pile* of enchants in the bank, then refine up from a 4. It saves a little time, I think.

Look for a guild that wants players, not gear scores. A bot can have a gear score. A player has a personality.

Stay safe out there.
  • Options
    brisedabriseda Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Boycotting the market is neither realistic nor sustainable. However, new players starting the game right now cannot compete in the current market. I've been here since launch, I have 6 capped chars and a group of friends who play with me. Together we can help each other get the assets we need to have a fighting chance. New players? Good luck. I wonder what the percentage of legitimately playing new gamers are right this minute? How many are gold spammers, farmers or banned cheaters remaking to use whatever ill gotten gains they were able to salvage?

TL;DR - Games are only as good as their starting populations.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Actually, no, I don't 'got mine'. I'm a new player. I was able to buy some zen, and got it during the 'charge rewards weekend', so I have some green companions. I bought the coal wards when we were told to, to get the green cleric companion.

When I do get to 60, I'll craft myself a couple of 'lesser' enchants. I've already worked up some rank 5s, just using the stuff that drops now and then, and preservation wards.

I have looked at the numbers, and making r7s with pres wards is cheaper than buying coal wards.

I believe that the tier 1 purple set is still gotten with random drops, in the lower level dungeons? That gear + rank 6s / 7s + a team that works together can then work through the harder dungeons, and earn a set of teir 2.

Players who were here last year will *naturally* have better gear than what I can earn in a few months. After I've been here for a year ( and bought 20 dollars of zen every month, on average ), my gear will be pretty good. Maybe not BIS, but pretty good.

In other MMOs, it also takes a while to get BIS. And BIS moves around a lot... In SWTOR, 'BIS' goes up around once every 6 months. When a new top level dungeon is released, it has a new top level of gear. Gear drops there are more random than here, and you can only run those dungeons once / week.

Play the game. Enjoy the game. Refine up your own enchants. A friend of mine did mention that you start getting 4s later on, so if you want, you could just keep a *pile* of enchants in the bank, then refine up from a 4. It saves a little time, I think.

Look for a guild that wants players, not gear scores. A bot can have a gear score. A player has a personality.

Stay safe out there.

I must say, I like your positive albeit naive attitude. Keep it Jenny. Dont get justifiably jaded like the rest of us.

Life's a garden dig it!

Ps also yes ues pres wards. dont use coals cept on armor/weapon enchants. or if your rich do what you please.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    jubeibehelitjubeibehelit Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I believe they'll go after the people spamming the chat. And, your post will likely result in some sort of punitive action in this very thread :)

Lock-down commencing in 3.... 2....

You understand my humour in that.. Slap the guy spamming about the cheats not the cheats he is spamming about.
    Be mindful not to complain or spam about the cheaters, explopioters, and spammers. You will get warned and banned. Punish the legit, promote the illegit.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Stay safe out there.
    Rank 4's drop at a pretty decent rate once you get into 60+ level content. Ranking up 5's to 6's isn't that difficult either. It's the 7-10's that take a lot of time and resources, (you need a spare epic enchant to rank up an epic enchant) which in all honesty they should. The hardest part for me hasn't been finding a specific "Gear Score" it's been finding gear that fits my play style. I'm trying to "budget" my AD, so I'm not spending more than 25% on any big ticket item, that way I have enough for boons and expansion trees. Only one of my 3 characters is over the 1 million mark, and he's from beta. I try to build balanced characters (something I've done since P&P, and still try to do.) Jokingly, the storyline for Tyranny of Dragons from Wizards involves the Cult of the Dragon hoarding currencies and attacking cities for their banks. So some of the problems in the game economy are ironically similar. I do like your attitude, but over time, certain player/guild/game idiosyncrasies have chipped away at mine. I'm not in a guild, because I don't have a specified time frame that I play in, my days off rotate, and I have a family (it comes first.) My real world budget doesn't allow for $20 a month for the game, I could spend that much, but it'd detract from something that's needed in the real world later on, that would equal that over the span of a year (i.e.vehicle repairs.) I feel that I'd be "the guy that doesn't show up when we need him," so I've been kind of a lone wolf, and working with the foundry. I hope you find the game fun, for as long as you can.
  • Options
    mayorofartamayorofarta Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I wish a day comes when ppl improve their gear playing/enjoying the game and not "working the AH".
  • Options
    hiukulimushiukulimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 117
    edited August 2014
    I wish a day comes when ppl improve their gear playing/enjoying the game and not "working the AH".

too bad that some items, like coalescent ward, dont drop in game... you cannot farm them... so the ah is necessary for that.
    your point is totally wrong.

unless you want to keep farming the same dungeons T1 for the rest of your life, its your choice.
    CN need players with Perfect Vorpal to be cleared.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    hiukulimus wrote: »
    too bad that some items, like coalescent ward, dont drop in game... you cannot farm them... so the ah is necessary for that.

unless you want to keep farming the same dungeons T1 for the rest of your life, its your choice.
    Making the Coalescent Ward available in the Wondrous Bazaar for 500-750k AD, would alleviate the inflation a little bit as players would have access to them. It's just a thought, band-aid at best. Coalescent Wards do drop from coffers, just rarely, like once a year.
  • Options
    mayorofartamayorofarta Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I'm afraid you didn't understand a single word I wrote. Not "working the AH" doesn't mean you won't use it. Not farming directly the item you need but buying it selling other stuff is still achievable. And CN definitely doesn't need perfect enchantments to be cleared. But anyway that is just a wish.
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've done MC and VT full clears with people with no enchants. These dungeons require a higher GS than CN does. I just haven't had a long stretch of time available to me to do CN since I started playing, but by no means will I believe anything in game "requires" perfect weapon enchants.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    briseda wrote: »
    Boycotting the market is neither realistic nor sustainable. However, new players starting the game right now cannot compete in the current market. I've been here since launch, I have 6 capped chars and a group of friends who play with me. Together we can help each other get the assets we need to have a fighting chance. New players? Good luck. I wonder what the percentage of legitimately playing new gamers are right this minute? How many are gold spammers, farmers or banned cheaters remaking to use whatever ill gotten gains they were able to salvage?

TL;DR - Games are only as good as their starting populations.

You know what would help this community a lot? People like you, who have been here since day 1 and have all the awesome stuff, helping new players like me run dungeons and learn the content. Stop being elitist (not saying you are, but the vast majority are) and requiring 15K gs for your dungeon runs. Advertise that you're new player friendly.

I played wow for 6 and a half years. I always went out of my way to help new players learn things when I had the time (basically any day I was off work and had all day to play). After all, these new players might be as good as you someday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    geeq5geeq5 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    zshikara wrote: »
    I've done MC and VT full clears with people with no enchants. These dungeons require a higher GS than CN does.

Yeah! the Gs requirements for those dungeons are higher than CN, but CN is by far harder than both of them combine, VT is so **** easy it a joke, even 9k gs players can complete VT, if only they could enter with that gs, you just have to know what to do, same with MC, atleast the CC immune mobs in MC makes it a little challenge.
  • Options
    hiukulimushiukulimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 117
    edited August 2014
    zshikara wrote: »
    I've done MC and VT full clears with people with no enchants. These dungeons require a higher GS than CN does. I just haven't had a long stretch of time available to me to do CN since I started playing, but by no means will I believe anything in game "requires" perfect weapon enchants.

im talking about FARM RUNS ... not 1 run in a day ( where you spend like 20 gold in kits to keep retrying again and again until you succeded).

they are called SPEED RUNS. Maybe you never did those things. Another thing if you have no enchantments but you are getting carried by some ppl with 20k gs..
  • Options
    urd01urd01 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You understand my humour in that.. Slap the guy spamming about the cheats not the cheats he is spamming about.

This is my 4'th post in this thread.
    My other 3 has mysteriously vanished after being up only an hour/hours.

All I have tried to do is to ask for some transparancy as to what actions are actually being taken in this matter.

Feel like a messenger being 1-shot here....
  • Options
    sonofraistlinsonofraistlin Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Stay safe out there.

I'm relatively new also, a couple of months, and I have tried to grind my way to the top...but i really like pvp! I say that with a tear in my eye, because it's impossible to make ANY headway after lvl20 without epic gear. The games are flooded with players, all with epic Mulholand/xvrim year. You have no chance of completing the requisite number of triple kills, let alone double kills, in order to advance/grind your way to the top of the pvp quest.

I have sunk well over $100 since starting to play this game...you have to sell z for ad, to purchase this (hugely overpriced) gear on the AH.

And now i feel like a common criminal, unaware of what has been happening, just two days ago i spent another $30 on zen, only to discover this whole 'probation' thing going on, and now i'm reading all these posts... i feel like just chucking it all in, and i was soooo looking forward to the new module in the next few days :(
    “and someday, fat innkeepers will bow to me.”
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    geeq5 wrote: »
    Yeah! the Gs requirements for those dungeons are higher than CN, but CN is by far harder than both of them combine, VT is so **** easy it a joke, even 9k gs players can complete VT, if only they could enter with that gs, you just have to know what to do, same with MC, atleast the CC immune mobs in MC makes it a little challenge.

Mmmm.... I don´t think 9k gs players can do VT based on my experience. Burning her down after she starts with the multiple evocations that you basically can´t stop, needs to be done very fast and my feeling is that you can´t do that with 9k GS characters.
    Anyway if you know a strategy to do that, let me know. I recently started a new guild with two friends and most of our fellow players are still undergeared. If the three guild leaders are present we clear VT but we are not always online and knowing a strategy that we can teach them would greatly help. The main issue is burning down Valindra at the end. Until that, you only need good cordination in stopping the caskets and a bit of luck (i.e Valindra not doing the double-grab while evoking caskets).
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm relatively new also, a couple of months, and I have tried to grind my way to the top...but i really like pvp! I say that with a tear in my eye, because it's impossible to make ANY headway after lvl20 without epic gear. The games are flooded with players, all with epic Mulholand/xvrim year. You have no chance of completing the requisite number of triple kills, let alone double kills, in order to advance/grind your way to the top of the pvp quest.

I have sunk well over $100 since starting to play this game...you have to sell z for ad, to purchase this (hugely overpriced) gear on the AH.

And now i feel like a common criminal, unaware of what has been happening, just two days ago i spent another $30 on zen, only to discover this whole 'probation' thing going on, and now i'm reading all these posts... i feel like just chucking it all in, and i was soooo looking forward to the new module in the next few days :(

Don't lose hope!

Anyone who REALLY knows this game and is not caught up in the GS frenzy can tell you that GS counts some, but skill goes a longer way overall.

Example: I am older so I am not accustomed to using the keys on the keyboard for basic combat. I still have to glance down at the keys sometimes (but not always). My son is a pro at PC gaming and can work the keyboard like crazy - never has to look at the keys. Most of my toons have GS between 12k and 13k, with 13k being the highest. My son does not play as much these days and his best toon has a GS of 8k. Bottom line: His 8k geared DC can easily give my 13k GS TR hell in a 1v1 PvP. We tried it once and I barely beat him - it took a long time to do it as well. His keyboarding skills are probably among the best, while mine are average at best.

So, don't get stressed about not getting all the top gear. You can do real well with a GS of 13k and good keyboarding skills.

If anyone starts bragging about their GS compared to yours, just ignore them as the immature brats they are. Even laugh to yourself a little about their lack of knowledge. If you have good keyboarding skills, there is a chance you could even beat them in PvP with a lower GS.

Some people may disagree with this assessment, but I know the truth. I have lived it through trying to PvP my son! :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    Don't lose hope!

Anyone who REALLY knows this game and is not caught up in the GS frenzy can tell you that GS counts some, but skill goes a longer way overall.

Example: I am older so I am not accustomed to using the keys on the keyboard for basic combat. I still have to glance down at the keys sometimes (but not always). My son is a pro at PC gaming and can work the keyboard like crazy - never has to look at the keys. Most of my toons have GS between 12k and 13k, with 13k being the highest. My son does not play as much these days and his best toon has a GS of 8k. Bottom line: His 8k geared DC can easily give my 13k GS TR hell in a 1v1 PvP. We tried it once and I barely beat him - it took a long time to do it as well. His keyboarding skills are probably among the best, while mine are average at best.

So, don't get stressed about not getting all the top gear. You can do real well with a GS of 13k and good keyboarding skills.

If anyone starts bragging about their GS compared to yours, just ignore them as the immature brats they are. Even laugh to yourself a little about their lack of knowledge. If you have good keyboarding skills, there is a chance you could even beat them in PvP with a lower GS.

Some people may disagree with this assessment, but I know the truth. I have lived it through trying to PvP my son! :)

What you just described is a massive massive massive skill disparity. The fact that it happened is shocking to be honest. There is skill involved yes and it can compensate for gs yes. However that matchup should never have had those results even with the gear scores reversed. DC's are that weak with killing.
  • Options
    sonofraistlinsonofraistlin Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks myowmyow,

I wrote that before my 'lets be optimistic' thread...I had just logged onto this forum for the first time (oh, ide signed up months ago, but hadden't followed). And i was reading pages and pages of depressing stuff i never knew about...

But i'm better now :)
    thanks
    “and someday, fat innkeepers will bow to me.”
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    What you just described is a massive massive massive skill disparity. The fact that it happened is shocking to be honest. There is skill involved yes and it can compensate for gs yes. However that matchup should never have had those results even with the gear scores reversed. DC's are that weak with killing.

Yes, I know it seems wild, but my son's keyboarding/mousing skills are pretty amazing. On about any online game he plays, he pretty much owns all of his friends consistently. Some people just have more skill/knack than others and it can make a huge difference in NW.

Also, my son's first character was a DC and he mastered it better than anyone I have seen, especially for a GS of 8k. The only other class he played was CW - he was also very good with that class, but DC was his skill mastery, to be sure!
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    jennyavarieljennyavariel Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 167
    edited August 2014
    im talking about FARM RUNS ... not 1 run in a day ( where you spend like 20 gold in kits to keep retrying again and again until you succeded).

they are called SPEED RUNS. Maybe you never did those things. Another thing if you have no enchantments but you are getting carried by some ppl with 20k gs..

Ahh, yes. You don't want to *play* the game as intended. You want to rush though the content, and get the goodies from the end chest, over and over.

You can't do this without perfects and r10s?

*shrug*
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ahh, yes. You don't want to *play* the game as intended. You want to rush though the content, and get the goodies from the end chest, over and over.

*shrug*
    It is playing the game as intended as it's how you can make AD quickly. Making AD quickly means you can use the ZAX, which allows you to buy bags, companions, and more character slots. This was true even when the ZAX was much lower.

Your post is just an arrogant play my way or quit because I said you don't play right statement.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

*shrug*

Indeed . . .

• Options
    edited August 2014

*shrug*

rushing?

Its called progression... you should be able to farm gear at some point pretty easily... but seems you like only to have your 2 hours of CN run. If you are happy with that i dont mind. But just for advice... new dungeons in mod 4 seems have higher dificulty than the ones at the moment avaible.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    It is playing the game as intended as it's how you can make AD quickly. Making AD quickly means you can use the ZAX, which allows you to buy bags, companions, and more character slots. This was true even when the ZAX was much lower.

Your post is just an arrogant play my way or quit because I said you don't play right statement.
    rushing?

Its called progression... you should be able to farm gear at some point pretty easily... but seems you like only to have your 2 hours of CN run. If you are happy with that i dont mind. But just for advice... new dungeons in mod 4 seems have high dificulty than the ones at the moment avaible.

I'm not telling anyone to quit. And I don't feel that progression in intended to be done via sub 1 hour speed runs of the top level content.

You're expected to run it, till you get a set of armor. You're not expected to then keep running it several times a day, to farm the gear.

Ask the devs if they expected the hardest dungeon in the game to be farmed by groups of 5 CWs. The answer has already been given in the form of class changes.

"Rainbow" groups are the goal of the design team. And not groups of all 15k + ( who don't *need* more gear anyway ).

If you're already to the point that you *can* do a speedrun, you don't *need* the items from the speedrun.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm not telling anyone to quit. And I don't feel that progression in intended to be done via sub 1 hour speed runs of the top level content.

You're expected to run it, till you get a set of armor. You're not expected to then keep running it several times a day, to farm the gear.

Ask the devs if they expected the hardest dungeon in the game to be farmed by groups of 5 CWs. The answer has already been given in the form of class changes.

"Rainbow" groups are the goal of the design team. And not groups of all 15k + ( who don't *need* more gear anyway ).

If you're already to the point that you *can* do a speedrun, you don't *need* the items from the speedrun.

So, how can i upgrade my artifact to epic? or get enought AD to buy some nice r8-9-10 enchantments?
    Seems you want to live in your world with your "fun 4 hours " runs , becasue you have lot of time to spent on this game.

Sorry but you know ppl have to work sometimes to live... maybe its not your case.
  • Options
    harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    urd01 wrote: »
    This is my 4'th post in this thread.
    My other 3 has mysteriously vanished after being up only an hour/hours.

All I have tried to do is to ask for some transparancy as to what actions are actually being taken in this matter.

Feel like a messenger being 1-shot here....

My world, welcome to it.
  • Options
    harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    Don't lose hope!

Off-topic, I look down at the keyboard from time to time too...if you can, get a Razer Naga or the Logitech equivalent then take the week to teach your thumb to move on it...and watch the speed improve once you remap your commands :)

"old guy gamer advice" ;)
  • Options
    anharmonanharmon Member Posts: 175
    edited August 2014
    You know, to be fair, forums are often pessimistic. Just in general ... the majority of gamers don't post on forums or really participate in in-game chat. Just saying.