test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lack of Divine Clerics Players

dustwiperdustwiper Member Posts: 38 Arc User
edited November 2014 in PvE Discussion
So my main character is a Cleric. I was doing the Gauntlgrym dungeon and my party was excited to have a cleric in the party. They even use this fact to try and recruit more people to join our party. I asked if it was that rare to see a cleric and they said it was. So do you agree that there is a lack of Divine Clerics players or do you think people are overreacting? Will more Clerics switch classes when Warlock comes out? What can be done to encourage people to stick with this class?
Post edited by dustwiper on

Comments

• aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They're out there, but they're playing alts. I might be setting aside my CW and making my DC my main after mod4.
  • discriminatingdiscriminating Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2014
    Having just hit 60 with my DC I can say it's a rough class to PvP with as you're starting out and getting geared up. You're unlikely to kill anything on your own and you're not at that "it takes 4 enemy players 5 minutes to kill you" stage. But you're still the focal point for all the dps from the other side. I'm not sure many people are going to have the patience to get through that.

On the other hand, I did see a lot more DCs in lower bracket PvPs when I was levelling up then I did the first time around with my TR. Maybe there's hope. :P
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The last statistics Cryptic released (six months ago?) showed that the DC was the least-played among all characters. So many people who hadn't played a DC are creating alts that are not DCs. My first character is a DC (and I still consider her my main). I've then done all the others (except GF) and finally just got my second DC up to 60.

So now I'll do the Warlock thing and then I'll probably return to my main to start gallivanting in all the new zones (Mods 2-4) and I'll see where things go. The truth is that a DC can be quite difficult to play because so many of your powers are (really weak) healing, rather than DPS, so sometimes - even in PvE and Solo - it can feel like you have fewer powers than the other classes. But I've only now finally started getting into the habit of using the Divine power (Tab) which is actually quite powerful - but as with most other classes it's a tap the tab=done, where on DC it's a toggle (I had to get used to that).

But, yeah - there are a lot fewer DCs in-game than other classes and even fewer being actively played.

Full-disclosure: I'm a casual player who does't care all that much about min-maxer, so I do not consider myself an adept player - do I don't consider myself as an 'authority' on the subjects.
  • jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Clerics and GFs are scarce because those classes aren't as useful as they typically are in other MMOs. With lifesteal and the CWs ability to gather mobs, kite, and AoE them down, many groups have been opting for more GWF and CW in lieu of GFs and DCs. Until cryptic changes the combat system to adjust for this bias (and there's hope with mod4), DCs and GFs will continue to feel undervalued and frustrated.
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    True, they aren't as useful here as elsewhere, but that's not the only reason. Tanks and healers in general are not played very often compared to dps classes, AoE or otherwise.
    People simply don't like being passive because it doesn't give them that "hero" feeling. Seeing high numbers of damage is what gives most people that feeling. It's rare to see clerics in general really enjoying their class and it has nothing to do with being good at it. It takes a certain mindset to remain motivated as a passive player.

Yep - passive classes aren't as appealing to the masses as nukers, plain and simple.

Speaking specifically about NW classes - I find my GF to be more than a little underwhelming (the buffs they'll get with mod4 may change my mind completely). On the other hand, once i got used to toggling Divinity back and forth for specific situations/spells, I found my DC to be a pretty fun class to play (I even placed #1 paingiver on a few dungeons).
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
    edited August 2014
    True, they aren't as useful here as elsewhere, but that's not the only reason. Tanks and healers in general are not played very often compared to dps classes, AoE or otherwise.
    People simply don't like being passive because it doesn't give them that "hero" feeling. Seeing high numbers of damage is what gives most people that feeling. It's rare to see clerics in general really enjoying their class and it has nothing to do with being good at it. It takes a certain mindset to remain motivated as a passive player.

Yes, I suspect this is the majority reason. Also - in my own experience - I don't like how *slowly* the GF takes to kill anything, but that's the trade-off: high survivability for low damage. As for the DC - it's really pretty squishy, but it does;t have the DPS to counter that (yes: I know one can create a "DPS Cleric" - I'm speaking in general) - additionally, because a chunk of the skill choices are healing-related they're even less powerful on the DPS side or DPS feels nonexistent completely (Astral Seal, anyone?)

However, when I play my GWF, Wizard and Ranger - I can feel the 'burning down' of mobs and it's a very satisfying feeling - not so much as a "heroic' feeling as it is a "that was nice and quick" feeling. So it's burn-it-down, NEXT!? Where GF and Cleric it can sometimes feel like "is this thing ever going to die?"

So it's also a factor of simply 'how long does it take to kill a mob and move on to the next?". Mod 4 will bring some nice (well-deserved, overly late) changes to GF, but Clerics are still struggling along just "making do" with what they have. Also: if you kill a mob faster, you have less need for health restoration' you can kill it before it does enough damage to really need or want a Cleric.

Hence: if your choice is HP (healing ability) versus DPS then DPS will win every time: moves you along faster, less damage to you, fewer pots, who needs a healer? :)

I play the class simply because it's the fun underdog.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1. No reason to take them.
    2. No reason NOT to take them either.

Pretty much that, any MMO DPS always is #1 played.

Technically speaking a High Prophet wearing/Divine Glow and Hallowed Ground spamming DC, should be more or less better then another dps class, while providing some beneficial mitigation and heals. I know there are times Ive done GG with a mashed up group and slotted MH instead and tanked the thing.

But all that being said, any group with a high enough GS can do any of the t2s without any issue whatesover with any class composition they want. Which is I believe one of the stated goals.

THERE are of course a percentage of SPEED only runners who want nothing to do with any class besides two. GWF and CW, mostly because they complement each other well. But if you get down to the nitty gritty, you only really need one class to speed run and thats 5 cws, which will blow up everything.

Some of this is changing slightly in the upcoming nerfs, but in all reality, there still will be only one class who can control the DD's and thats still the CW. Just will be longer. Maybe new meta.. 4 cws and 1 sw =P..

Some of this is the playerbase, you can Join Legit Channel and not suffer most of the "ewww gf and dc, Im outta here, type comments"
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    Clerics and GFs are scarce because those classes aren't as useful as they typically are in other MMOs. With lifesteal and the CWs ability to gather mobs, kite, and AoE them down, many groups have been opting for more GWF and CW in lieu of GFs and DCs....

DC was my second character but is my favorite class. I have 2 of them.

You hit the nail on the head. Gear and power creep eliminates the need for dedicated healers. We have T3 gear, but no T3 content. We're essentially sandbaggers. Current PvE content, outside of specific specialized situations, doesn't need DCs. Lifesteal outheals dedicated healers, and DCs lack decent burst heals, so pots>DCs. CWs and GWFs stack nicely and nuke all opposition. Non-BiS parties are a different story.
  • velynnavelynna Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's rare to see clerics in general really enjoying their class and it has nothing to do with being good at it. It takes a certain mindset to remain motivated as a passive player.

That's one of the stupidest things you've said recently. People who play clerics DO really enjoy their class. Otherwise they wouldn't play it. And while others may see clerics as "passive;" those who play their clerics generally don't see it that way. In several ways, there's a lot more you have to pay attention to as a DC than a DPS player. I have two level 60 CWs, two level 60 TRs, a level 60 GWF, a level 60 HR, and my favourite class to play has always been the DC. I have no idea why you would make such ridiculous assumptions, which say a LOT more about you than any DC player I've encountered.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I love playing my DC, and it's my main character. That being said, I have recently run into a seemingly growing number of players who actively hate partying with DC's. Usually it is someone who doesn't seem to understand how healing with in this game, but in the past few days I've had multiple people complain about "you didn't heal me enough" (you stood in red, didn't try to dodge, ignored the astral shields and the enemies with astral seal on them...) and try to get a vote kick in favor of another DPS character. In every case the vote kick has failed and they have ragequit, but I've not seen that until recently.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I love playing DC and, despite playing other classes (including FotMs), consider it my main class. I've seen people enjoy being DC and dislike it. While I have not ventured in PvP on my cleric (but I do have a PvP spec DC coming up), I have seen very effective ones. In a way, it is the most active role because you have to learn the rotations for the mobs, other players and respond to the team in very subtle ways. I love it.
    I do understand that the "solo content" can be a pain, compared to CW, and PvP feels rather futile. However, that's exactly why I like DC - it's a team-based class and it brings out the best that this game has to offer. I play this MMORPG because it's MMO and not so much RPG. I do like big orange numbers and mobs flying around, but I like working with a team more.
    No class is an island; playing this game for a solo experience is... stupid.
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
  • scammerzascammerza Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have been seeing less DCs on my friend lists.. Its kind of spooky. If I look at my friend list, I notice most of the players who were good clerics are no longer playing or not playing nearly as much. Perhaps the shortage is because of older players dropping out of the game and lack of new players going with devoted cleric. DC is a pretty unattractive class option and also harder to level through to 60.
  • tolfy21422tolfy21422 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have a DC as an Alt. What people are saying is right. They really suck to level up its a grind. I got to lv 50 and stopped for weeks because i was so tired of it. Its much quicker to just have a friend lv 60 just share your quest and run through everywhere with ya till you hit sixty. I had my Gwf Friend grind with me took us four straight hours to get from 50 to 60+. Still takes time to do the campain and everything so we can get strong enough to keep up in a dungen. Or have anyone give us the chance. They see 10k gs and look the other way.
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My last main was a DC. I actually had a ton of fun with it, since I love to play healing classes in mmo's. It did get tiresome after a while though, due to players. Doing randoms (pve), people had no clue how DC's functioned, I constantly had to chase down people to heal them or they just played derp and it got frustrating. Not to mention being the aggro magnet with a train of angry mobs after me while everyone else was busy playing with the boss and not giving a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that their support was about to get ran over. I was alright solo, though compared to my cw, it was very much slower getting dailies done, but not helpless either.

In the end, it just got aggravating.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • generaldiomedesgeneraldiomedes Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I enjoy playing a DC in PVE, but being a DC in PVP doesn't sound like much fun unless you specifically build/gear for it. I did actually start a Halfling tank DC build just for fun while helping an IRL friend level, so perhaps I will give it a shot once I hit 60.
  • brush4toiletbrush4toilet Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    to be honest, my main is a DC and i like to play it because it needs at least a little intelligence to be played. however, i have to agree, as i'm leveling all classes for artifacts, that almost all other classes give some fun we don't have with a DC, like a feeling of power that a DC can't have...

moreover, i see less and less people writing "LFM DC CN" which is the only dungeon worth doing, and it's pretty hard to get in right now...
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The last statistics Cryptic released (six months ago?) showed that the DC was the least-played among all characters. So many people who hadn't played a DC are creating alts that are not DCs. My first character is a DC (and I still consider her my main). I've then done all the others (except GF) and finally just got my second DC up to 60.

So now I'll do the Warlock thing and then I'll probably return to my main to start gallivanting in all the new zones (Mods 2-4) and I'll see where things go. The truth is that a DC can be quite difficult to play because so many of your powers are (really weak) healing, rather than DPS, so sometimes - even in PvE and Solo - it can feel like you have fewer powers than the other classes. But I've only now finally started getting into the habit of using the Divine power (Tab) which is actually quite powerful - but as with most other classes it's a tap the tab=done, where on DC it's a toggle (I had to get used to that).

But, yeah - there are a lot fewer DCs in-game than other classes and even fewer being actively played.

Full-disclosure: I'm a casual player who does't care all that much about min-maxer, so I do not consider myself an adept player - do I don't consider myself as an 'authority' on the subjects.

Oh wow, I didn't know you were a casual like myself. Cool!

My first two character were DC and GF, funny enough. They have become my secondary characters over the months as I used my TR and CW the most. But I do prefer DC over GF these days, and yes there are definitely fewer DCs in the game.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
    edited August 2014
    Just saw this earlier at Twitter:
    Chris Meyer @CrypticGMC · 3h
    IN OTHER NEWS! Clerics are getting some cool overhauls. Seriously. Like really neat stuff. I wish I could tease more info about it but (½)

Link: https://twitter.com/crypticgmc

Says he can't share exactly what, but that some feat changes, etc. will make us DC lovers "feel good again" (my words paraphrasing) but in short: DC getting some DEVLUV!
  • daggon87daggon87 Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The account must have been hacked.
    Olaf, freelance guardian fighter.
    Enorla, Oh so devoted cleric.
    edited August 2014
    uh oh, feel good for who? low geared and unskilled DCs? Don't break the existing healing :)
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, my main (Tanya) is a DC, and I love the class - but I'm a PvE player only - I did PvP for 4 days, just to get that Raven Skull artifact and hated almost every minute of it. I can do all the "solo" content easily enough - sure, I don't kill as fast as my GWF or TR, and I can't take as much beating as my GF, but I am reasonably tough and do reasonable damage. Good enough for me.

You see, for me the game is all about having fun - and my idea of "fun" is not about having the best gear or doing the most damage.

I do like being useful, but for that I had to change from a "healer" to a "Buffer/debuffer" and it seems to me that Cryptic does not quite understand that - we keep getting gear that makes DCs better healers or better DPSers (well, "less bad" might be more accurate), but no gear that actually helps us do what we are mostly required to do after hitting level 60.

Until level 60 (or maybe until reaching the harder T2s), healing is much more important to a DC than buffing/debuffing, but after that it is all about buffing/debuffing, and quite frankly, some DCs have a problem with making that adjustment.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • veryunstableveryunstable Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    One of my characters is a 15K AC/DC (Anointed Champion Devoted Cleric..LOL) but I doubt I will ever be in Gauntlgrym due to Icewind has so much more to offer and is simply just more fun to play
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I rarely do GG on my PVE Cleric. GG is not about strategy whatsoever, it's about zerg-killing. So for the whole package (PVE, PVP, DK) GWF and CW make a ton of sense.

I appreciate a debuff DC for every PVE content though and actually play mine quite a lot, it's just a faster run. DCs are not dispensable, but they are limited to one spec and armor set really.

For PVP I can understand why DCs feel unloved. There is no incentive to go to oPVP solo, because you can't kill <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and only stall players. Which is kinda meh in that setting.
    Then you have a PVP campaign that is substantially harder to complete on your DC and GG which also doesn't cater to a DCs strength.
    edited August 2014
    adinosii wrote: »
    I do like being useful, but for that I had to change from a "healer" to a "Buffer/debuffer" and it seems to me that Cryptic does not quite understand that - we keep getting gear that makes DCs better healers or better DPSers (well, "less bad" might be more accurate), but no gear that actually helps us do what we are mostly required to do after hitting level 60.

As far as i know, there has not been any new armor implemented (all classes) since beta that provides a debuff set bonus. I think this might be on purpose to avoid over stacking debuffs in general or perhaps difficult to implement into the existing game.

As it is, the debuffs/buffs are pretty insane with well geared parties. In Mod 4 running the new dungeon with a couple parties, I noticed players taking extreme amounts of damage and currently damage resistance is capped at 80%. Even with near that in resistance, players are dropping fast when hit by strong monsters. How do you heal or prevent a team-mate from dying when hit for 24k after damage resistance?
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Please! let it be so, if nothing else, PLEASE unlock buffs to be PARTY wide, too many range classes now to be effective otherwise!
  • skinlikewinterskinlikewinter Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There is the fact that other classes can heal themselves, and in some cases out heal a DC. this has pretty much eliminated the need for healing DCs and what is sought after is the debuff/buff DC.

Devs continue to hammer more nails into the DCs coffin by adding a new class Scourge Warlock who can also heal a party (albeit inefficiently) and can provide dps as well.

In my opinion, other than a druid, other classes should not be able to heal, except with items providing regen, life steal, or potions.
    I show player support, by only playing Neverwinter as F2P
  • gudgeonatorgudgeonator Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No doubt in my mind that mod 3 DC is less fun to play. For me the effect was complicated by a break - came back to experience the IWD grind and the new PVP (now with "extra reduced heals"TM). Neither is super fun for a DC - although I could speed things up on the IWD grind if I go back and grind for the High Prophet set which has no peer as far as pve dps goes. I can still be very useful in PVP - but my days of extended point contesting versus multiples are long gone. Had to spec out of Divine Oracle for PVP purposes. Man I miss BOTS. That slow *** BOB is so painful to use. PVP campaign - ha - enough has been said about that in other posts. My progress is glacial due to the amazing lack of tailoring any achievements to suit a support class. Even my GF finds it easier.

The thought of grinding for a T1 set when I already have Miracle Healer (and now the Grim PVP set) left me cold. As it stands - I wear my PVP gear, slot all DPS encounters (reg chains - div divine glow - div daunting light: fastest grouped mob dps rotation for me), and hope I don't get jumped during the horrid open world PVP daily tasks. Dodge, deflect and regen provide enough survival for mobs. At least completing the pve IWD quests as an Anointed Champion DC is faster than on my Swordmaster GF - that fella is borderline <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

I hope the big change is not just the arm pen fix. Of that I have entirely none due to it being fairly useless since - well - forever.
  • xthebluespiritxxthebluespiritx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    dont know what yall are talking about, my dc carries teams, you better believe that. we dont contribute to killing things? how does terror+highprophet+divine glow debuff + HG buff NOT make stuff die faster?
    Edit: our gear does suck however, best is a t1
  • hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Un-Official Feedback Thread: Devoted Cleric changes and bugs
    We have no current plans to do anything to cleric beyond the changes in M3 because we have some more urgent things to make changes to

The "New" PvP and Clerics.
    With the "New" PvP comes "Healing Depression" a buff that says "When hit, for 5 seconds all healing effects are reduced by 50%". I for one completely am angry at this. I did a couple of PvP runs since the changes to find out that clerics who focus on healing to survive is completely nonviable now. Here are some numbers.

Before patch Astral Shield healing
    To allies: 600 per tick
    to myself: 350 per tick

After patch Astral Shield healing
    to allies who are hit: 300 per tick
    to me who are hit: 175 per tick.

175 healing!??! That is completely trash when most people have around 25K hp... They could AT LEAST take out Righteousness, then at least we'd be healing ourselves as much as our allies...Even still, once we get hit(Which is always for a cleric...we get focused so much) then we can't do much to protect ourselves making us completely useless unless we go pure-damage...My final though on this is if you want to play a Cleric, build Pure tank and focus on ability that offers control such as the Area Effect knock back from Divinity Sunburst and the Chains...At least then you'd be a threat and still survive long enough to help yourself and your team gain points because apparently Cryptic/PWE hate healing. What are you guys thoughts and please offer me some tips and things on what I should change about my current cleric to be more effective for my teams?

P.S. THEY DIDN'T EVEN GIVE EVERYONE A FREE RESPEC!! UGH!
    It would've made things much easier for me to just go "Okay...healing clerics are trash now, time to spec to tank." but no! I have to pay out of my pocket to be able to play the game how THEY want.

There you go! Healing in PvP at its finest and how Cryptic feels about fixing the mess that was made.
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
  • veryunstableveryunstable Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Testify my Brother!! I have been thanked in countless PvP games, not to mention in PvE for saving my team/Players OR helping my team stay alive long enough to kill the other team/mobs. I love playing DC and helping others survive in battle.
    dont know what yall are talking about, my dc carries teams, you better believe that. we dont contribute to killing things? how does terror+highprophet+divine glow debuff + HG buff NOT make stuff die faster?
    Edit: our gear does suck however, best is a t1