test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Temptation Warlocks + Dread Legion Boon "Burning Guidance" = Game Break

kyobi16kyobi16 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 68 Arc User
As the title says temptation warlocks with that boon can do 90mil damage in a CN run and dissconnect party members from the massive damage numbers which the game cant process appearntly.
the boon is procing endlessly and just witheres away adds in mere seconds.

Please review it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nathanmehew2435nathanmehew2435 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you do not want this post closed i highly suggest you remove what you have wrote we don't need people using game breaking things like this. I have personally showed a Community manager so if u don't mind remove the post
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It seems to be a legitimate bug reported in the bug forum. Why would you want it removed?
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you do not want this post closed i highly suggest you remove what you have wrote we don't need people using game breaking things like this. I have personally showed a Community manager so if u don't mind remove the post

Man it would really suck if people did it on the PREVIEW shard. Seriously if we want things fixed we need to report it. They're less likely to care otherwise.
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Frishter ..I can assure you the devs are more then aware of this issue...as I ran a Mod3 dungeon with some of them to show and tell. Was easier for them to understand after seeing. After completing the dungeon we sat around and chatted about it for about an hour as well as a couple of other items.

We all that originally knew decided not to openly post it in the forums for various reason you can imagine, however we did demonstrate to the Cryptic staff

And yes Nathan was there.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Man it would really suck if people did it on the PREVIEW shard. Seriously if we want things fixed we need to report it. They're less likely to care otherwise.

Ok let me lighten you on this people will now be using this in just about every dungeon correct ? How are we supposed to test things properly if we just get lagged out/disconnected and have someone intant killing mobs making tests not viable ? or do you NOT test at all please tell me. And like i said in my post i have informed the Community manager about this we done a dungeon run and explained to hit how it works and what causes this making this post big means more and more people know about this and testing is now worthless
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Ok let me lighten you on this people will now be using this in just about every dungeon correct ? How are we supposed to test things properly if we just get lagged out/disconnected and have someone intant killing mobs making tests not viable ? or do you NOT test at all please tell me. And like i said in my post i have informed the Community manager about this we done a dungeon run and explained to hit how it works and what causes this making this post big means more and more people know about this and testing is now worthless

Nothing's going to stop you from testing it and I hardly see why the majority would go to great lengths to exploit it to the max, being rewarded in preview is pretty meaningless and nothing is stopping you from making sure not to take the exploiters. We're also not meant to be the main testers for the game. As for me testing, I've only done it a little bit as to not burn myself out to make sure it's all working and be set up so that I know what to expect. Mod 3 was relatively fun on preview, but not so much when it came live so decided to go a little lighter.

I replied since it thought it was bad to discourage people from making reports and it's kind of hard to just accept "the CM is informed". That's great but I wasn't there and didn't know how much notice he/she would take. If we treated every bug like that, some would get through since they'd be seen as a lesser priority or harder to fix. It may not apply in this case, but I thought it was a bad example to set.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Agree Frishter every bug should get reported, however some bugs even in preview should be reported directly the dev team. If nothing is done then by all means go public.

Now I must state this is not a BUG but an unintended consequence, of how shall I put it, not gonna sugar coat this one...but just lazy sloppy programming, according lifesteal the same coding as healing, instead of separate coding for both.

It has not only been reported but demonstrated for NWO. I made sure.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    Agree Frishter every bug should get reported, however some bugs even in preview should be reported directly the dev team. If nothing is done then by all means go public.

Now I must state this is not a BUG but an unintended consequence, of how shall I put it, not gonna sugar coat this one...but just lazy sloppy programming, according lifesteal the same coding as healing, instead of separate coding for both.

It has not only been reported but demonstrated for NWO. I made sure.

Well if it actually procs on lifesteal then that's pretty good because currently people tend to find it useless and we shouldn't just have the 1 effective boon choice. That's not to say it's fine to be broken of course...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Well if it actually procs on lifesteal then that's pretty good because currently people tend to find it useless and we shouldn't just have the 1 effective boon choice. That's not to say it's fine to be broken of course...
    f
    It does proc from lifesteal...which then sets up a feedback loop between the two, it then damages again, you life steal, then procs more damage etc. This is where the problem is.

The reason the area near you will appear to freeze up is due to the number or LS and damage being done to multiple targets etc, the server is just able to hand the extreme amount of of numbers it is having to stream back and forth. In parses I have seen 292 different "transactions" a second for just one SW. I am not sure if this an inherent limitation to ACT or NWO, I personally think there are more "transactions" per second then either can display. In any event it is enough to bring things to almost a total stand still.

I think what needs to be addressed is the feedback loop but not a nerf to either the temptation feat tree or the Burning Radiance Dread Ring boon.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I have a feeling on what causes the loop.
    It is when the initial damage from Burning Guidance is healing the player from life steal that small heal from that damage causes a loop.
    The easiest way to fix this boon would be making the damage from the Boon to NOT heal the player from lifesteal, There would no longer be a loop and in theory fix the bug.
  • Options
    gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have a feeling on what causes the loop.
    It is when the initial damage from Burning Guidance is healing the player from life steal that small heal from that damage causes a loop.
    The easiest way to fix this boon would be making the damage from the Boon to NOT heal the player from lifesteal, There would no longer be a loop and in theory fix the bug.

Or make it where once it heals for a certain amount "% wise of the person's health" a (from the life steal), a CD would trigger, before it can reapply, this would fix the problem to.
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm very intrigued how they handle is because this is certainly not a bug, but only a very unfortunate chain reaction from wai circumstances.

Burning Guidance should trigger Life Steal as all damage sources do, in fact it's a small, but welcomed chunk of healing for a DC. So I think the change has to be made to the Capstone feat, because this is a problem with the Warlock, not a problem with Burning Guidance, which is compared to the others already a lackluster boon.

You could simply only allow LS from Encounters, At-Wills and Dailies to trigger the capstone and maybe raise the % of heal because you'll be missing a marginal amount of redirected healing from other sources (Weapon Enchants, Boons etc.).

So something in the range of "Your Life Steal from your At-Will, Encounter and Daily Powers now also heals allies for 225% of its value." It's easy, other classes are unaffected and the capstone's effectivity will remain the same. Boons, Enchants and such would still LS and heal the Warlock, just not trigger the capstone.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ...after even more testing...but I need yet another set of boots from FH to confirm I think the issue purely lies, but I cannot confirm that until I can get a group to do FH with me. Just finally ran it for first time today and got the **** necklace. I need help on preview running FH...I ended up duoing it a buddy, got some people just to let us queue.

Actually what I am thinking, not what I was thinking when I ran the dungeon to show our Comm mgr, is our temptation capstone should not trigger Burning Guidance due to a feed back issue. But only the temptation capstone

As we thought previously compounded soul does not trigger this feedback loop.

As it stands right now...it is a synergy between the temptation capstone and the Burning Guidance, nothing else. It creates a feedback loop.

As I already said I need help getting people to run FH with me so I can confirm this, I need the boots to complete the SW healing set.

More to follow as I can test more. I gave up running the new content trying to get the boots.
  • Options
    shiani1shiani1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Frishter ..I can assure you the devs are more then aware of this issue...as I ran a Mod3 dungeon with some of them to show and tell. Was easier for them to understand after seeing. After completing the dungeon we sat around and chatted about it for about an hour as well as a couple of other items.

We all that originally knew decided not to openly post it in the forums for various reason you can imagine, however we did demonstrate to the Cryptic staff

And yes Nathan was there.

That's a question I've been thinking about today with the emergency maintenance. If we run across something serious, what is the best and fastest way to report it so they can become aware of it?
    Kianni Ravenmoon and Izyana Sol'Eetah

• Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Can anyone upload a short video for me so I can see how game breaking it is? xD Reminds me of times when GFs could oneshot dragons
  • Options
    panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    We have a fix for this already and it will be on preview later this week. Thanks!
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    panderus wrote: »
    We have a fix for this already and it will be on preview later this week. Thanks!
    What is the fix if we might ask? I like the idea of the boon working for T.SW's but the feedback loop needs to go.
  • Options
    panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    Patch note will read something like: "Burning Guidance: No longer improperly triggers on Life Steal and Soul Bonding Healing."
  • Options
    sokolnichiysokolnichiy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So in a simple way of explanation:

Burning Guidance will not cause mobs to take damage when you Steal Life from them. Damage would only be dealt from direct and aoe healing encounters of DC.

Am i missing smth or i got everything right?
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So in a simple way of explanation:

Burning Guidance will not cause mobs to take damage when you Steal Life from them. Damage would only be dealt from direct and aoe healing encounters of DC.

Am i missing smth or i got everything right?

Probably the heal HR's get too though I'm just guessing on that.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Incidentally Burning Guidance does not proc unless you get up close and personal to the mob and have group mates with in 20 feet of you.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Probably the heal HR's get too though I'm just guessing on that.

Hm.....so every tick of HR regrowth can burn foes if he himself and group members are close together...it's just thoughts on the spot but it will work this way according to mechanics.
    Also aoe spells like Astral shield and moontouched feat that make hallowed ground aoe heal will also proc burning guidance.

It's all just suggestions but according to mechanic of boon it can work just like that.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Hm.....so every tick of HR regrowth can burn foes if he himself and group members are close together...it's just thoughts on the spot but it will work this way according to mechanics.
    Also aoe spells like Astral shield and moontouched feat that make hallowed ground aoe heal will also proc burning guidance.

It's all just suggestions but according to mechanic of boon it can work just like that.

Gonna respec my HR and find out. Good question.

I can't get Burning to trigger at all with my HR
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Gonna respec my HR and find out. Good question.

I´ll check it too. In principle it shouldn´t as the boon is clearly intended for DCs but you never know.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Not sure why you'd bother fixing it. Might as well just remove it along with a lot of other boons. Noone would notice. The choice is an illusion if there's only 1 actual viable choice.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The issue is what its always has been, their "fix" for this will just screw DC's.

Thanks in advance.. yet another DC nerf incoming.
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It works perfectly for DC's as it is on Live, and is the only really useful one available at that tier for a healing DC. Please don't 'fix' that.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    It works perfectly for DC's as it is on Live, and is the only really useful one available at that tier for a healing DC. Please don't 'fix' that.

What's with DC fix? I don't get it...

Can someone explain why you all started to wine about DC nerf?

Burning guidance wont work from lifesteal not from healing effects such as those that DC healing encounters and dailies.

But one thing i also cant understand what is soul bonding healing? As administrator mentioned....
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Fix your keyboard. No one is whining. A simple request not to change it at the root, but to find the specific issue impacting what is reported here. Not whining.

You more or less asked the same question yourself.

Don't quote me and then misrepresent, say thank ya.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Fix your keyboard. No one is whining. A simple request not to change it at the root, but to find the specific issue impacting what is reported here. Not whining.

You more or less asked the same question yourself.

Don't quote me and then misrepresent, say thank ya.

Sorry lad. I wasn't saying that you are wining particullary.

I only wonder why such panic around this boon for DC's?

Admin said the it will be fixed only for lifesteal. DC's heal not from lifesteal. + there is that soul bonding heal...i just want to get clear with that thing. What is soul bonding healing and when it triggers.

NO harm will come to DC healing encounters to trigger burning effect i can assure you.