test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sundering: 4th to 5th edition transition storyline

imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
edited July 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
So, best I can tell, as the Spellplague was the storyline for the transition from third to fourth edition, so is the Sundering the transition from fourth to fifth (D&D Next). It's basically Greenwood and Salvatore's way to fix the botchup that WotC/Hasbro made of the Forgotten Realms when they went through with the Spellplague story without consulting Greenwood or Salvatore, and against their wishes once they found out what was being done and asked them to reconsider.

The Tyranny of Dragons is the first storyline for fifth edition.

Does this mean that we're going to be seeing the Sundering storyline here? If so, has anyone heard anything about how that will affect things?

Also, given the drastic mechanics changes from fourth edition to fifth edition, are we going to be seeing any structural changes to the game to keep it up-to-date, or is it going to be permanently stuck in an obsolete version of the tabletop version of the game? For example, it seems a bit odd to be introducing a class that is not in fifth edition (Warlock) with a storyline that is the intro storyline for that edition.
Post edited by imaginaerum1 on

Comments

• gladiatorulgladiatorul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited July 2014
    Why is the warlock not in the fifth edition I am sure warlock will appear in books for forggten realms in drizzt book actually. Also could the devs not make a combination between these 2 editions like keep the existing 4E classes and add 5E classes next? Are these 2 editions so different that they could not work together?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Keeping the timeline current is a topic I frequently bring up to the Community Team. Alas, such is knowledge that even I am not privy to.

The game's mechanics revolve around a modified version of 4th Edition and while technically 4th edition, it is really it's own sub-edition within 4th edition.

With that in mind --
    I will say this though, and this is just my opinion; there is no need to change mechanical rule-sets to keep up to date with the Realms timeline and lore. Sure there would need to be some noticeable changes in things, but nothing that would affect the game's modified rule-set, in regards to combat. Anything that would need to be updated would either be purely cosmetic in nature or be adjusted to work within the game's rule-set.

I highly doubt Cryptic would want to re-code their entire game to be 5th edition rules and I doubt even more that PWE would want to fund such an undertaking.

In my opinion, Neverwinter's modified rule set works perfectly for a PC game and doesn't need adjusted to keep the game up to date with the timeline of the Realms.

Very seriously though, I hope they add Mystra to the god list AND give us a way to change our deity. I also hope that the Tyranny of Dragons is just the start to the task of getting and keeping Neverwinter up-to-date with the current canon timeline.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Considering how much they seem to be retconing and undoing things. They should of just called it 5th edition: the mulligan.
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have played every edition of the D&D and 4th was the only one that did not feel like D&D, but works just fine for a computer game as you have here. With that said I would not be opposed for a true D&D experience using the classes and the way things are done in the 5th edition. I would then be able to play a true wizard and kick some butt, hello fly, improved invisibility, and fireball at will. Or my favorite if you don't want to get hit, plane shift to the ethereal plane, true seeing and force lance "I know I am evil".
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The only section of the game that would need a severe change to me, if they went along with the storyline would be "The Chasm" as all traces of the spellplague went away during the Sundering storylines. So there would have to be some changes there, and I wonder if the Chasm would fill in the same as the Underchasm did in the book with Kleef? That would be the one zone that would not bother me for them to change, as it is my least favorite.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    It would be nice if they were to incorporate the changes brought about by the Sundering. However there are actually a number of changes that would need to be made, and I am not sure they are up to that right now. Besides the the Chasm needing to be repaired, you would need to create a new zone to fill in the gap for XP progression. The Spellplague dungeon would need to be replaced. A new skirmish would need to be created as well. The Linkletter adventure would need to be eliminated/reworked. The Helm's Hold storyline would need a revision, as well as some of the encounters changed to include different monsters. The Plaquefire enchantment would need to be eliminated, possibly replaced. The Intellect Devourer companion would need to be removed. Achievements/Collections reworked. I'm sure I'm missing a few items, but you get the idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I haven't really played PnP dungeons and dragons and I don't really know the difference between 4th and 5th edition, but from what I've heard it's a LOT of changes in game mechanics and powers, so I don't think they'll change it. I do however think that lore wise we'll follow the 5th edition.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • serowforsakenserowforsaken Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If we use Dungeons & Dragons Online as an example:

DDO started off using modified 3.5 rules. When 4E arrived, they didn't do any drastic changes to the underlying systems until the numbers got too complicated/out of whack for the 3.5 rules to handle. Even then, they didn't adopt 4E rules, only adopting some 4E-isms like Epic Destinies along with a limited version of the 3.5 Epic system. Now that 5E is coming, and DDO is still running, I expect the main changes to be storyline-based and not systems-based.

Bringing it back to NW, I expect storyline changes but not systems changes. As we know, NW doesn't use 4E rules, only 4E names and overall class structure.
    I have played every edition of the D&D and 4th was the only one that did not feel like D&D, but works just fine for a computer game as you have here.

Just my opinion having played only 3.5 and 4E, I feel that 4E was a wonderful D&D experience. 3.5 was too much about Superheroes (casters) and Sidekicks (non-casters). 4E felt much more about being part of a party, both in and out of combat.

I really like that 5E is powering down spellcaster effectiveness while maintaining their utility. Very much looking forward to 5E!
    60 Hunter Ranger
    The rest still up-and-coming!
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It would be nice if they were to incorporate the changes brought about by the Sundering. However there are actually a number of changes that would need to be made, and I am not sure they are up to that right now. Besides the the Chasm needing to be repaired, you would need to create a new zone to fill in the gap for XP progression. The Spellplague dungeon would need to be replaced. A new skirmish would need to be created as well. The Linkletter adventure would need to be eliminated/reworked. The Helm's Hold storyline would need a revision, as well as some of the encounters changed to include different monsters. The Plaquefire enchantment would need to be eliminated, possibly replaced. The Intellect Devourer companion would need to be removed. Achievements/Collections reworked. I'm sure I'm missing a few items, but you get the idea.

This is pretty much exactly where I was going with my question. There are significant changes to the world happening. Either we're still in Spellplague-influenced Neverwinter (the 4th ed storyline), or we're in Sundering-era Neverwinter (the 5th ed storyline). Trying to use parts of both with turn into a muddled mess. With Spellplague officially going away in the tabletop/multimedia (see official WotC posts regarding 5th ed) version of the game, why is it (and the aspects of the game that go along with it) staying here?
  • antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is pretty much exactly where I was going with my question. There are significant changes to the world happening. Either we're still in Spellplague-influenced Neverwinter (the 4th ed storyline), or we're in Sundering-era Neverwinter (the 5th ed storyline). Trying to use parts of both with turn into a muddled mess. With Spellplague officially going away in the tabletop/multimedia (see official WotC posts regarding 5th ed) version of the game, why is it (and the aspects of the game that go along with it) staying here?

Because the amount of effort needed to remove it from Neverwinter would be massive and take at least several months of effort, and that's just content. Rebuilding core game systems to account for 5th Ed would be akin to creating the game from scratch.

It's easy for authors and WOTC to wipe out the spell plague, not so much re-engineering a computer game.
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Just to kind empahsize a bit of what Zeb has touched upon in the usual blunt object to the face Ambisinisterr style...

Don't hold your breath for Neverwinter to have major mechanic changes due to fifth edition.

Seriously, if you think because fifth edition is rolling out there's any chance of the game being redesigned from the ground up in fifth edition you are setting yourself up for disapointment. Furthermore most reasons players cite a lack of D&D feel such as restrictive weapon and power choices are the result of the Action Combat design and that is one aspect I can all but guarantee is never being changed.

Example: GWF's and GF's are both fighters. This means that technically both should be able to choose Tide of Iron as a power. The thing is Tide of Iron requires a shield and both Cleave a Sure Strike both require melee weapons in order to function. With the action combat styling and the lack of basic attacks quick swapping of weapons is just a mess of issues waiting to happen. If you equipped a bow but did not have a ranged power in this game you would be dead in the water.

This is why they went with the themed approach more so than anything else. The action combat, At-Will Basic Attacks and limited power bars do not support what many consider D&D style weapon and character choices. Now they may adopt some changes from fifth edition they like if it fits into the game just as they have drawn some inspiration from first, second and third edition while designing the game. However while they have not said they will not be overhauling the game to fifth edition it is so incredibly unlikely you really shouldn't even consider the possibility. :p

Whether or not the timeline/storyline will progress is something that we've received 'wait and see' style responses.
  • aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Is there a proper link to a modern timeline for the Forgotten Realms, one with current events? Would like to know about this Sundering and such, after the Spellplague.

And I'm a 3.5 / Pathfinder guy myself. Is 5th Ed. gonna be anything like 3.5 again? (I banned 4th Ed. after I saw what happened. The books anyway.)

And as to the game, as long as I can get my GF to be effective, and feel like a Paladin, I'll live, with the way things are. (The two strikes bit, in a dungeon run, not so much. :( )
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bringing it back to NW, I expect storyline changes but not systems changes. As we know, NW doesn't use 4E rules, only 4E names and overall class structure.

Just my opinion having played only 3.5 and 4E, I feel that 4E was a wonderful D&D experience. 3.5 was too much about Superheroes (casters) and Sidekicks (non-casters). 4E felt much more about being part of a party, both in and out of combat.

I really like that 5E is powering down spellcaster effectiveness while maintaining their utility. Very much looking forward to 5E!

You're my new best friend :cool:

And to the major point, D&D is NOT the rules. It's the game and an experience. Let me toss out a famous wiiticism by Gary.
    The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.

There's people all around the world playing with all different types of D&D rules, from basic all the way up to now 5th, and everything in between. There's tons of games out there based on different rule sets, inspired by different rule sets, or just using D&D as flat out inspiration. Or their own home brewed amalgamation.

But they're all playing D&D.

And as far as the story line, it would be cool to see them follow along with some of the Sundering stuff, or blaze their own path in the Forgotten Realms. What we need to realize as gamers is that there is no ONE story in D&D. THE story is whatever you want it to be. Right now, we're in Cryptic's world. They're going to tell us the story that they want (with WotC's blessing, of course). In fact, I'm sure there's thousands of DM's out there cleverly writing a transition to the new material, trying to preserve what they want in THEIR world, while adding new stuff to it.

But to say that Neverwinter HAS to change the story and HAS to adapt a new ruleset is about as far away from the true spirit of D&D as you can get.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • phoasphoas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have played every edition of the D&D and 4th was the only one that did not feel like D&D, but works just fine for a computer game as you have here. With that said I would not be opposed for a true D&D experience using the classes and the way things are done in the 5th edition. I would then be able to play a true wizard and kick some butt, hello fly, improved invisibility, and fireball at will. Or my favorite if you don't want to get hit, plane shift to the ethereal plane, true seeing and force lance "I know I am evil".

What is this so called feel of D&D?
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Considering how much they seem to be retconing and undoing things. They should of just called it 5th edition: the mulligan.
    lol XD

IMO there's no way they can rework the classes to anything close to 5th ed.
    If they want to, they can easily make future modules include parts of the
    mulligan... er, Sundering. It's more about the story than the technical details.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Intellect Devourer companion would need to be removed.
    Intellect Devourers have existed since at least the First Edition MM as have a number of the Aberrant creatures in the game, such as Aboleths.
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Let me toss out a famous wiiticism by Gary.
    That must have been a post TSR change in his attitude. He was pretty much my way or you're not playing D&D back when he did the Sorcerer's Scroll column for Dragon in the 80s.

But insofar as changes to the content, it's more likely they'll add new lore and just gloss over any conflict with the Spellplague timeline. Besides the Chasm itself and the aforementioned parts of Helm's Hold, the entire Spellburst 'level' would be gone You'd have two leveling quests eradicated and a third would need major rework to provide a rationale for what Rohini was doing and also screw up the Mage class questline. Removing the content would also break countless Foundries, not just ones that feature Spellplagued monstrosities but also the ones that use them reskinned for bosses or whatever. Unless WotC threatened them with pulling the license, it would be far too much work to consider doing.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    aleaic wrote: »
    Is there a proper link to a modern timeline for the Forgotten Realms, one with current events?

The Sundering Series. Five Books. Five and more characters. Five points of view. One event.

IMO they were enjoyable reads but didn't give much details on the events. I suppose we'll be seeing more behind the scenes in the campaign settings and actual release of 5E. However what little tidbits we got in The Sundering was more or less saying....okay WotC...you know all that balogna you pulled with the spellplague killing 90% of the gods people actually liked, streamlining the story, killing most powerful mages, etc...you can take all those changes and put it somewhere unsightly because we don't like it, we don't want it...and most home brewed stories gave it the middle finger anyway. :p
    SundHero.jpg
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Okay, apparently my point has been missed. I wasn't saying they must change to fifth edition rules. I was saying that if they are transitioning to the fifth edition storyline (which it appears they are, as Tyranny of Dragons is the kickoff for that), they are going to need some major *setting* changes. They should have been working with WotC, planning this for months, making it a spectacular event that truly emphasizes that the WORLD HAS CHANGED. Again. After all, they knew it was coming. Every transition to a new edition of the rules has featured a storyline-based world transition. It is the "official" D&D game, with WotC's logo on the intro page. This should have been part of the plan all along.
    What we get is a half-way, muddled mix of the two, with a few thematic elements tossed in, but no significant changes. A nod in the direction of the new story, without anything of substance.
    I'd rather they stay in the 4th edition (Spellplague-era) storyline and blaze their own trail than do a half-way job of things in the transition. I don't think it's going to work well.