edited July 2014
    ahsher wrote: »
    Necrotic
    Fire
    Cold
    Lightning
    Radiant
    Could someone explain the difference?
    here on neverwinter the difference is just the name, there'r no elemental resistence.
  • Options
    mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Necrotic is true damage(ignores resistances).
    Radiant does 50% of the damage as true damage, if I remember correctly.

Nothing else does a significant difference, from what I can tell.
  • Options
    harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    poison ignores resistance; necrotic doesn't, as far as I'm aware.
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The purpose of damage types is to partially increase the overall damage through feats or effects. There's generally no difference besides that.

Also you forgot Arcane and Nature.
    Necrotic is true damage(ignores resistances).
    Radiant does 50% of the damage as true damage, if I remember correctly.

I think this only applies when the tooltip says so. Otherwise Warlocks wouldn't bother with ArP.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Necrotic damage used to ignore resistances, but that got patched way back when they nerfed Tenes, afaik.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Fire damage abilities, to the best of my knowledge, will usually inflict the target(s) hit with a DoT.

Poison will usually deal less damage than fire damage, but will ignore armor and apply a DoT usually.

Necrotic damage use to just straight ignore armor, but that was changed. Now it is very rare for it to have a significance. The upcoming Warlock class is the only class that can receive bonuses for using necrotic damage through certain abilities or feats. I can't remember which ones they were, but they will increase your damage output if necrotic damage is inflicted.

Radiant is in the same position if I can remember correct as some bonuses for using it are available. Maybe not, I can't remember.

Cold damage and Lightning damage are useless for now to the best of my knowledge.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Damage type is largely cosmetic except for when we *explicitly* call it out for bonuses (Warlock Fury tree, Wizard damage bonuses, etc). Otherwise all damage behaves the same on the receiving end.