test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some helpful advice from a new player who lost interest in this game....

silverleadsilverlead Member Posts: 63
edited July 2014 in PvE Discussion
Some helpful advice from a new player who lost interest in this game after about 4 weeks of play. I know the game probably has some really good content but it's the same as every other MMO I've played over the years. Quest that have to go kill this or that or retrieve this or that and some boring story and lore that I've heard all before many times over. Granted the Foundry is cool but not enough to keep me playing because well I get my epic dungeon adventures made better in other games and I have better tools. It's nice and all in NW but bleh for me. My deal break is PvP because that's what keeps me playing a MMO and the PvP in NW is like all other MMOs, the Caster Class is king. I've grown so very tired of having to play a caster class to be viable in pvp. If I wanted to do that I would have stayed with my last MMO I played or the one before that. NW Control Wizards are just a big problem for all classes. At least for my Rogue, tank and hunter. NW PvP would be tolerable if their was at least once class that could beat them but as it is now anyone who knows how to play their CW is king and I'm just tired of having the play a caster class to pvp. Also there seriously needs to be more PvP maps! So hope this helps in the future. I don't know what other new people dislike that discourage them and make them leave but I thought I'd post mine as it might be helpful should they "the developers or suits" wanted to know how to keep old school MMO player like myself. OH! one last thing. The game performance is horrible! All the weird rubberbanding lag and graphic rendering issues. Even on my decent machine 8350 with 2 560Ti 1gig it runs poorly but borderline playable.

- W
Post edited by silverlead on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time here. The thing is, (and I mean no offense), but this simply isn't a PvP-centric game. Not only that, but there are some pretty big changes to CWs and the other classes, coming in the near future - check the preview section of the forum.

Regarding the quests - well, I'm not really sure what alternatives you could have to the typical "defeat X of Y mob" or "collect A of B items" type of stuff... if you have any suggestions, I'd sure love to hear them.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    silverlead wrote: »
    NW is like all other MMOs, the Caster Class is king. I've grown so very tired of having to play a caster class to be viable in pvp.

Control wizards are the only viable class in Neverwinter pvp ? when did that happen , i have only been offline less than 24 hours and at that time I'm pretty sure that Control wizard was one of the weakest classes in pvp . Control wizards must have their own separate leaderboard with them being so OP because i can't see many in the first 2 pages of the leaderboard the other classes use lol...
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Silverlead you haven't been playing that long so please dont take offense when i say you are wrong, the CW is actually the worst class for pvp. I play the game for pvp too and atm the 3 best classes are Great weapon fighter, trickster rogue and hunter ranger. They are the 3 pvp classes but in mod 4 some changes are being made to them and the guardian fighter is going to be buffed in some nice ways.

Pvp is also a lot more about skill than people think, practice your class and you will be better.

Also if you have problems with CW in pvp the best way to fight them is get close and wait for them to do a doge, then use your bull charge and follow up. They always try to attack right after a dodge thinking they have some distance so that's the best time to strike.

You might find the game more enjoyable in a good guild. i find dungeons, foundries, daily quests and everything to be boring lol, the one thing i enjoy atm is icewind pvp and having guild friends to do it with is very fun.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Check out the Leaderboard and you'll see just how challenging it is to play an effective PVP CW. I imagine you mainly PVPed at low levels. Once you hit 60 GWF, HRs and TRs are kings.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Some helpful advice from a new player who lost interest in this game after about 4 weeks of play. I know the game probably has some really good content but it's the same as every other MMO I've played over the years. Quest that have to go kill this or that or retrieve this or that and some boring story and lore that I've heard all before many times over. Granted the Foundry is cool but not enough to keep me playing because well I get my epic dungeon adventures made better in other games and I have better tools. It's nice and all in NW but bleh for me. My deal break is PvP because that's what keeps me playing a MMO and the PvP in NW is like all other MMOs, the Caster Class is king. I've grown so very tired of having to play a caster class to be viable in pvp. If I wanted to do that I would have stayed with my last MMO I played or the one before that. NW Control Wizards are just a big problem for all classes. At least for my Rogue, tank and hunter. NW PvP would be tolerable if their was at least once class that could beat them but as it is now anyone who knows how to play their CW is king and I'm just tired of having the play a caster class to pvp. Also there seriously needs to be more PvP maps! So hope this helps in the future. I don't know what other new people dislike that discourage them and make them leave but I thought I'd post mine as it might be helpful should they "the developers or suits" wanted to know how to keep old school MMO player like myself. OH! one last thing. The game performance is horrible! All the weird rubberbanding lag and graphic rendering issues. Even on my decent machine 8350 with 2 560Ti 1gig it runs poorly but borderline playable.

- W
    I really hope devs take players' feedbacks seriously and implement fun D&D-ish gameplay. We all agree that combat style in this game is excellent. Yet in a RPG, especially D&D RPG, combat alone is not enough.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I really hope devs take players' feedbacks seriously and implement fun D&D-ish gameplay. We all agree that combat style in this game is excellent. Yet in a RPG, especially D&D RPG, combat alone is not enough.

This is an mmo not a pnp game. The combat is king, and could use some more help with more complicated boss fights and tactics.
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    This is an mmo not a pnp game. The combat is king, and could use some more help with more complicated boss fights and tactics.

I only like pvp because the fighting is more fun. In dungeons its just dodging red circles over and over and its very boring. Since I'm a gf and I like the warrior style I would love single boss fights in a few places that is based for solo players but still hard, like fighting a warrior npc char.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Like others have said CW are far from being the best. In high level play, trs perma stealth so you can never see them unless they decide to use impossible to catch in which case theyre invincible during that time, hrs have extreme regen and do degend damage and can tank a lot, they can also choose to have annoying control powers, gwfs are also a pain with bugged roar, a lot of damage, sometimes pretty hard to kill and the ability to chain prone you. Cw can be annoying but they're very very squishy. They do however have bugged icy rays that you can't dodge. Overall those are the top 3 classes and the rest have a hard time competing.
  • pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lol what.... Caster Class being the king? Are we playing the game PVP?

CW is arguably the worst class right now in PVP in terms of usefulness since Domination is all about contesting, hopefully Oppressor will make them dangerous in August.
    edited July 2014
    But a D&D mmorpg can still have Skill, Alignment, roleplaying, story, etc, right? I don't understand why in an mmorpg combat should be the king and roleplaying shouldn't.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    But a D&D mmorpg can still have Skill, Alignment, roleplaying, story, etc, right? I don't understand why in an mmorpg combat should be the king and roleplaying shouldn't.

Well, it's kinda hard to create a system that can "correctly" reward one for roleplaying their character - but assigning XP rewards for defeated enemies and completed quests is rather simple.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited July 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Well, it's kinda hard to create a system that can "correctly" reward one for roleplaying their character - but assigning XP rewards for defeated enemies and completed quests is rather simple.
    Reward doesn't need to be associated with roleplaying, although in some cases it can and will provide more roleplaying fun. It can just be associated with defeating enemies and completing quests.

Roleplaying offers more options in completing quests or building characters. And it can use some help from Skill and Alignment.
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    My deal break is PvP because that's what keeps me playing a MMO and the PvP in NW is like all other MMOs, the Caster Class is king. I've grown so very tired of having to play a caster class to be viable in pvp. If I wanted to do that I would have stayed with my last MMO I played or the one before that. NW Control Wizards are just a big problem for all classes. At least for my Rogue, tank and hunter.
    - W

That is completely the opposite of what is true.

Right now, HRs, GWFs and TRs are the kings of PVP.
  • crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    CWs are only good below lvl 60 because people aren't stacking stupid amounts of defence, so that means CWs are on par with other characters defence wise.
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My deal break is PvP because that's what keeps me playing a MMO and the PvP in NW is like all other MMOs, the Caster Class is king.

As someone else mentioned, this game is primarily PvE, with a bit of an unbalanced PvP minigame duct-taped to the side to distract pvp fans. What you need to do is a bit of research and find one of the actually-pvp-centered MMOs.

(Personally, I can't stand PvP, and have always been annoyed by how people calling for "pvp balance" keeps <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up the PvE balance in games where the PvP is just a tacked-on minigame. Well, that and the annoying testosterone-poisoning/psychotic-manchild trash talk that keeps spilling into general chat channels. If I had it my way, PvE and PvP games would be entirely separated from each other. But I know that's a minority opinion, so I just try to ride out all the problems pvp causes. Ah, well.)
  • stripiestfilly0stripiestfilly0 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Control wizards are the only viable class in Neverwinter pvp ? when did that happen , i have only been offline less than 24 hours and at that time I'm pretty sure that Control wizard was one of the weakest classes in pvp . Control wizards must have their own separate leaderboard with them being so OP because i can't see many in the first 2 pages of the leaderboard the other classes use lol...

I dont think OP [after 4 weeks of playing] must have ever come up against good players from a pvp guild - As a cw I often go negative kdr , but still on winning side - you dont have a lot of option , as cw you are side targeted by HR TR and GWF - you are breast milk kills to them [for the most part] - Albeit this may change soon.

As for the graphics and rendering/ rubberbanding - I have a 5 year old pc of mediocre stats [even when new] and a 400~ ping to the server, this is hard me me to be excellent in pvp , i just cant plan ahead and react fast enough most of the time.
    However - the game still plays fine for me and I only rubberband when "everyone else" is too [which is not all that often tbh [/and compared to other games I have played its not so bad]

To the OP - PVP agains tsome sick pvp'ers beat them with your cw, then qq about them [the cw] being OP. cos you know what, theyre not. Also a 4 week play time prolly didnt give you enough space to get your ELO up so you wouldnt have played against good players. also with out full pvp gear and high end enchants, you will get ROFLSTOMPED.
    If this isnt the case then you must be better than people who have played for a year [and refined and rerefined and respecced and tested and tested again and respecced and tried other gear/enchants CONTINUOUSLY like mad men till they find "the perfect balance". If this is the case and you are better/faster/stronger - I will have your babies.
    till then - if you choose to take up the challenge, find some premades and see how you go.
    Sorcerer.jpg
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Unfortunately if you are tired of MMO's, you are tired of MMO's. They are all going to follow the same guideline. Grind this, kill 20 of this, bring me 10 of this. Level, level, level then do dailies until you want to cry. Sorry to say, but you are probably just burnt out. No convincing in the world is going to make you want to play. You HAVE to want to play.

For me, I came from playing WoW. I was completely bored of that game. Then I saw some freebie give away from gamespot promoting Neverwinter. At first I disliked it, quite a bit, in fact I came close to giving up on it. Though for some reason I stuck on it and now I find it so much more fun than WoW. Even though it follows very similar guidelines, it still involves more than just "don't stand in the fire". I am a strict PvE player and from a PvE standpoint.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I spent 3 1/2 years in lotro , it was the funniest time Ive had in any mmo ever.. then they made some changes about 1 1/2 ago that changed the fun factor for me, so I gave it up, thought I would stay to the end at some point, But I never have, any mmo life for me is about 2-3 years max. Neverwinter is just a fun little one that will hold me until I try out another next year that Ive had my eye on.

I gave up all mmos for about a year though, gives you lots of time =). Caught up on all my television shows I missed last 10-15 years or so.

If your tired give up the mmo scene for awhile, wait for a game you can latch on.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ok so here's my thoughts on it.

Roleplaying is something that a niche group of players in mmo's do. This is not to insult it, but it's a small group of people in comparison to the rest of the population. I can't think of a way that a dev could code it either because it's about player interaction, not interaction with game systems.

Story. Story is great, however this isn't a single player title. If all that was here were story quests it would be a very short game. Along with the story quests we get the grind quests of bring me 5 cats butts.

Skill and Alignments I'll hit up as one. Another mmo tried to put more of these into the game. They each had some combat applications just like they would in pnp. As a result they were min-maxed to death. Some skills were worthless and not coded and the rest might as well have been class features because if you didn't have them you had to delete and reroll as you couldn't do your job. This doesn't really enhance any part of an mmo other than giving newbies more things to screw up and get frustrated with, that's not a good idea for new player retention.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm surprised this didn't get locked. When did the rule on "I quit" posts change?
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I'm surprised this didn't get locked. When did the rule on "I quit" posts change?

This isn't an "I quit" post. Merely the mention that the player had previously lost interest does not equate to the threat or allusion of quitting.

FYI: Next time, address it in PMs. Do not air out moderation complaints publicly.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Skill and Alignments I'll hit up as one. Another mmo tried to put more of these into the game. They each had some combat applications just like they would in pnp. As a result they were min-maxed to death. Some skills were worthless and not coded and the rest might as well have been class features because if you didn't have them you had to delete and reroll as you couldn't do your job. This doesn't really enhance any part of an mmo other than giving newbies more things to screw up and get frustrated with, that's not a good idea for new player retention.
    Sounds more like poor implementation rather than a bad idea. Just because another MMO tried and failed with the idea of Skills and Alignments does not mean it will always fail. The first light bulb failed, I for one am pleased Edison didn't scrap the idea completely because of that first failure. Now Alignment is no longer used in PnP (which I disagree with) so it would make no sense to put that in here. Skills on the other hand if implemented properly could really add to the characters we have. As long as they were not tied into the combat abilities, but rather into story/campaign/dungeon completion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Personally, I can't stand PvP, and have always been annoyed by how people calling for "pvp balance" keeps <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up the PvE balance in games where the PvP is just a tacked-on minigame..

I agree 100%!
    the annoying testosterone-poisoning/psychotic-manchild trash talk that keeps spilling into general chat channels

LOL! Excellent use of adjectives to describe that!
    If I had it my way, PvE and PvP games would be entirely separated from each other. But I know that's a minority opinion, so I just try to ride out all the problems pvp causes. Ah, well.

You'd be surpised how many people would agree with this logic. We may a minority, but I don't think it is a small minority as I have met many people in my MMORPG experiences who detest and never play PvP content.

PvP Haters Unite! :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I was curious what the "advice" was. I didn't see any "advice". What I saw was whining.
    Feel free to move on.
  • lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    From open beta till now, the game has improved..........

if u are a hardcore pvp player then this game might not be 4u...

for its age the game is fine & will grow in content & classes ....
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    You clearly have not played a single relevant PVP game at level 60.

Control Wizards are far from the top
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Ok so here's my thoughts on it.

Roleplaying is something that a niche group of players in mmo's do. This is not to insult it, but it's a small group of people in comparison to the rest of the population. I can't think of a way that a dev could code it either because it's about player interaction, not interaction with game systems.

Story. Story is great, however this isn't a single player title. If all that was here were story quests it would be a very short game. Along with the story quests we get the grind quests of bring me 5 cats butts.

This is an MMO based around the rolepalying franchise above all other role playing franchises though.
    I expected a lot more of the RP aspect when I started due to this being D&D.
    I like the alignments idea. Wouldn't even have to get skill or stat bonuses from alignment, but you should have a different storyline as a chaotic evil half orc GWF than a lawful good DC. Everybody is the good guy in every mission gets old.
    Little things like that could bring more of the feel of the RPG I played with my 20 sided dice,tattered character sheets, and pewter miniatures from when i was a kid.
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Personally, I can't stand PvP, and have always been annoyed by how people calling for "pvp balance" keeps <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up the PvE balance in games where the PvP is just a tacked-on minigame..

Neverwinter has arguably the best MMO PVP combat of all MMORPGs. PVE on the other hand is probably the easiest and most unbalanced mess of any MMO in history (LFM 4CWs... LOL).

What they should do is capitalize on the strengths of the game and expand PVP. Forget about PVE it's dumb.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Neverwinter has arguably the best MMO PVP combat of all MMORPGs. PVE on the other hand is probably the easiest and most unbalanced mess of any MMO in history (LFM 4CWs... LOL).

What they should do is capitalize on the strengths of the game and expand PVP. Forget about PVE it's dumb.

I cannot stress how much I *COMPLETELY* disagree with this post.
    D&D is, by its very nature, a PvE game. Converting it to an MMO should stress that.
    There are many, many pvp-focused games out there. This is not one of them. If you want all-pvp-all-the-time go play one of those.

They need to EXPAND PvE here, upgrade the Foundry, offer Foundry rewards, and make the game more like D&D and less like the hack-fest pvp games that infest the market.
  • osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have to agree with hamlet here.

Some toughts:
    I love the level and landscape design while leveling to 60. Amazing gameplay and atmosphere.
    I like the graphics and the design of items and their apearance.

Th dungeons are great when u run them for the first time.

But the endgame pve grind is dull and boring. They have NOTHING to do with d&d feeling. I just came from a 2 days d&d session with my brothers. Dungeons in actual pen n paper rpgs depend on much more than throwing thousands of adds at the heroes. There are cool explore options for rogues. Cool stuff for mages. Good deeds to do for paladins and clerics. And mysteries to unreveal for the warlock.
    There are alternative routes u can go and alternative endings. Dont say u cant implement this in a computer game. Just imagine the Baldurs Gate titles. Just a fraction of zheir creativity implemented in this game and u would had a block buster game.

With all that beeing said, the fun for me in this game comes from pvp and competitive play against human beeings with a very cool and fast combat system. The fundamental mechanics of the gameplay are amazing, besides all balance problems.
    My individual opinion on this matter ofc.