test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Deity Options and Scourge Warlock

enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
edited July 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Scourge Warlock

Preferring raw power to subtlety, scourge warlocks are tougher than the average warlock, possessing a powerful constitution, which often supersedes their intellect and charisma. Scourge warlocks foster this capacity for endurance purposefully, channeling their vitality into the deadly invocations they wield. This comes at the cost of often endangering oneself, either in close combat or through the sheer lethality of their powers, but scourge warlocks are typically more than capable of wielding their dangerous spells safely. Most scourge warlocks are beholden to devils or horrors of the Far Realm, though exceptions exist.

Also from the same page I got this I have a understanding that...

Dark Pact = Demon, Strong Creatures of the Abyss
Fey Pact = Fey, Strong Creatures of the Feywild
Infernal Pact = Devil, Strong Creatures from the Nine Hells
Star Pact = Far Realms, Strong Creatures/Elder Evils(Same place Aboleths come from).

Now with that tidbit of info we all know the paragon will be Hellbringer. And pardon my full information its been a while since I looked all this up. The Hellbringer is a paragon based on Infernal Pact. Meaning that Warlock made a pact with a Devil from the Nine Hells. This could be a Imp, Cambion, or even an Arch Devil themselves. Someone going into a Pact like this is more then likely a zealot of that Devil if they plan to reach any kind of true power. Playing off like your a commoner and have a pact with a Imp and then casting crazy powerful magic just doesnt add up. If said Imp could provide you the same spells the God of Sin could then why isn't Warlocks running the world.

So what this whole little rant comes down to is that this game should have options to worship evil Deities with/without a Evil Faction in play to join. You should have the options to have no deity as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by enderlin50 on

Comments

• Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    Devils are actually LAWFUL evil, and while quite a few Warlocks make pacts with Imps, Asmodeus has manipulated a lot around so that people end up making pacts with HIM anyway.
    A Lawful Evil person is also more likely to obey to a rulers' laws than to break it, sneaking around the loopholes of the law.
  • Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Warlocks don't have to worship Asmodeus to make an infernal pact with a devil. Warlock pacts are usually deals of convenience, powerful devils will even try to collect them (meaning a single devil could potentially have many). They tend to be personal deals of mutual convenience rather than a precept of some religious organization.

Note: only greater devils (mostly pit fiends) can sign warlock contracts, creatures like imps don't have power to lend out (yet).

If you're curious why warlocks tend to make pacts with devils and not demons it's because of their nature (law vs chaos). Pretty much the only beings in the abyss that would willingly sign such a pact would be a demon lord (wayyy more dangerous than a contract with some random pit fiend who follows rules).

Out of the 4 pacts, generally speaking, two of them are relatively safe, the other two are highly risky. The Infernal and Fey pacts are with creatures that are lawful in nature and likely familiar with contracts. The Abyssal and Star pacts are signed with unique, powerful creatures with far less predictable ends (unlikely to care about any sort of good reputation as well)...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    . . . I sure do hope we get some new deities with Tyranny. If so, I'd imagine we'd get Tiamat for sure. We do need many more gods to choose from though, like Mystra and Shar... to name two. I'd also love to be able to re-choose my deity, especially when new ones are added! :)
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah I hope they rework the entire deity and praying system in Neverwinter , at the moment it is more like an afterthought when it could be so much more .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    couatl13couatl13 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    str8slayer wrote: »
    Out of the 4 pacts, generally speaking, two of them are relatively safe, the other two are highly risky. The Infernal and Fey pacts are with creatures that are lawful in nature and likely familiar with contracts. The Abyssal and Star pacts are signed with unique, powerful creatures with far less predictable ends (unlikely to care about any sort of good reputation as well)...

The Fey are LAWFUL!? Erm, no...

When you get down to it, the only real "Safe" entity to get in a pact with is Vestige pact. And even that's iffy... But then, the whole Warlock Pact thing is like a huge Get Rich Quick scheme... Sure, it could work out great for you, but the chances are REALLY GOOD that no matter WHO you pact with, you are screwed.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yes...yes...YESSSSSSSS!!! give us some evil gods please and evil aligned quests basically just more evil to balance all the fluffy goodness and rainbows which is neverwinter
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    reilz1981 wrote: »
    yes...yes...YESSSSSSSS!!! give us some evil gods please and evil aligned quests basically just more evil to balance all the fluffy goodness and rainbows which is neverwinter

Unlikely that there will be 'evil' plotlines. The characters are Heros, not sociopaths, what you want would require a whole new set of quests for the whole game.
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    couatl13 wrote: »

When you get down to it, the only real "Safe" entity to get in a pact with is Vestige pact. And even that's iffy... But then, the whole Warlock Pact thing is like a huge Get Rich Quick scheme... Sure, it could work out great for you, but the chances are REALLY GOOD that no matter WHO you pact with, you are screwed.

Fey pact is still technically probably the safest, since there are good, or at least benevolent, fey in 4E. Tiandra as a pact patron, for example, is going to be pretty 'safe'. It depends on your background and what you go with as your pact patron.

Heh, I actually used Corellon as a fey pact patron for a character once, due to him being the creator of the Fey races and god of Arcane magic in the core 4E setting. He was a Paladin who lost belief in his own abilities after being forced to work for a succubus due to the party going for it(Ten levels later I got to kill that succubus. Personally. It was glorious). He wound up suddenly finding himself with arcane abilities he hadn't previously possessed, and eventually discovered that Corellon had pretty much shrugged and said 'screw it' and given him power a different way during that time(He was Corellon's Chosen). He ended up as a hybrid Cavalier|Warlock who had a rather odd, yet powerful, build. He could teleport 7 squares at-will and your restrained/slow/immobilized meant nothing to him. XD
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mircalla83 wrote: »
    Unlikely that there will be 'evil' plotlines. The characters are Heros, not sociopaths, what you want would require a whole new set of quests for the whole game.

not really just added scenarios DnD isnt all about playing good characters you know the most fun is had with a team that balances good and evil and something in between but sadly i dont think anything like that will happen here
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    couatl13 wrote: »

Yeah that's basically the idea I was getting at (rather than generalize about alignment). You're almost always dealing with some ancient, immortal creature that does whatever it pleases so, as a general rule, anyone in that position is obviously in constant peril.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . I sure do hope we get some new deities with Tyranny. If so, I'd imagine we'd get Takhisis for sure. We do need many more gods to choose from though, like Mystra and Shar... to name two. I'd also love to be able to re-choose my deity, especially when new ones are added! :)
    Takhisis is a not a Faerunian deity and is wouldn't be in line with the (lack of evil) deities we have. We might get Bahamut.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    not really just added scenarios DnD isnt all about playing good characters you know the most fun is had with a team that balances good and evil and something in between but sadly i dont think anything like that will happen here

What I COULD see happening might be a way of 'Beat up the 'Evil Guys', but for selfish reasons, not for 'I am the Paragon Hero of Neverwinter'. But an outright 'I am furthering Valindra's goals' path? Not so much.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . I sure do hope we get some new deities with Tyranny. If so, I'd imagine we'd get Takhisis for sure. We do need many more gods to choose from though, like Mystra and Shar... to name two. I'd also love to be able to re-choose my deity, especially when new ones are added! :)

Isn't that a Krynn Diety (DragonLance realm)? I am a DragonLancer - WTF is Faerun? And what a foo-foo frilly-sounding name for a realm. I mean, it just goes perfectly with "Pffft". LOL
    mircalla83 wrote: »

No - they are not "heros" they are "adventurers". If you are always a "Hero" then you are a dimwitted one: Pirate's Skyhold anyone? Yet, you are the "Hero of Sleeping Dragon Bridge" (or whatever it was called - yeah, been a long time) - but that's about it as far a hero status goes. You are Sergeant Knox's Hero, perhaps. But overall I get the impression we are simply adventurers in it for our own benefit (loot, mostly). But each person plays the way they want. So if you are always the hero in your mind while you're playing there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! :)

My Master of Flame Wizard is not a hero. He only helps Neverember because it's helps his own private agenda and that wench Valindra just keeps getting in the way. ;-)
    Takhisis is a not a Faerunian deity and is wouldn't be in line with the (lack of evil) deities we have. We might get Bahamut.

When Old Zeb mentioned Takhisis I was surprised, thinking "oh, wow, a crossover Deity!" - but I think you are confirming that he is mixing them up (which may be an insult to Krynn in general) [just kidding]. I think one of my Companions is named Takhisis because I didn't expect anyone to recognize the name. I think it's a Companion to my Wizard named Fistandantilus. (Yes, really) ~cough~ LOL
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't like this class. It is purely an evil class based on its description. I would have preferred something else.

But it is what it is! No turning back now, so no need to really complain a lot about it, unless you simply enjoy whining, I suppose.

I'll still roll one of course . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    I don't like this class. It is purely an evil class based on its description. I would have preferred something else.

But it is what it is! No turning back now, so no need to really complain a lot about it, unless you simply enjoy whining, I suppose.

I'll still roll one of course . . .
    Well, I'd recommend reading the prologue of the Brimstone Angels series; it very, very clearly depicts how a good person can end up in a warlock pact when pushed into a corner, and make the most of it. Near as I can tell, that's how the majority of adventuring warlocks go.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Whoops! A simple deity slip-up! Sorry, do that with same-beginning-letter names a lot. I meant Tiamat, not Takhisis. Worse yet, they're both multi-headed dragon entities! >.<

an Article
    Tiamat Tuesdays!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    Well, I'd recommend reading the prologue of the Brimstone Angels series; it very, very clearly depicts how a good person can end up in a warlock pact when pushed into a corner, and make the most of it. Near as I can tell, that's how the majority of adventuring warlocks go.

Ive read Brimstone Angels Book 1 & 2 and I can assure that this is an exception to the rule. I find it hard to see hundreds of Good Aligned Devil pact warlocks running around. She was only even picked because of a what she was.

PWE: Neverwinter sent me a survey months ago with a buncha of questions. One of the questions was "How do you feel about having a Evil Faction". So its clearly something thats crossed the minds of Devs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    "Good implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others."

This guy clearly is Good

a272281bccae3bd0a1462e9c393e09cc1404231135.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    naicalus wrote: »
    Fey pact is still technically probably the safest, since there are good, or at least benevolent, fey in 4E. Tiandra as a pact patron, for example, is going to be pretty 'safe'. It depends on your background and what you go with as your pact patron.

Heh, I actually used Corellon as a fey pact patron for a character once, due to him being the creator of the Fey races and god of Arcane magic in the core 4E setting. He was a Paladin who lost belief in his own abilities after being forced to work for a succubus due to the party going for it(Ten levels later I got to kill that succubus. Personally. It was glorious). He wound up suddenly finding himself with arcane abilities he hadn't previously possessed, and eventually discovered that Corellon had pretty much shrugged and said 'screw it' and given him power a different way during that time(He was Corellon's Chosen). He ended up as a hybrid Cavalier|Warlock who had a rather odd, yet powerful, build. He could teleport 7 squares at-will and your restrained/slow/immobilized meant nothing to him. XD

Yeah, see... I'm jumpy when it comes to The Fey. I've read enough about both the Seelie and Unseelie Courts to know "NEVER TRUST THESE PEOPLE".

The only thing that the Fey have going for them, is that THEY CANNOT LIE. They can, and do however, deceive with the truth WONDERFULLY.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ...and wither your limbs.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Or gift you with immortality!

But for only as long as you are still on your Horse, otherwise, poof! All those years hit you all at once.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, either of those might explain why Warlocks are currently walking really funny.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Looks like you're (allegedly) in a pact with Belial (literally means "worthless" in the most common Hebrew interpretation, there are others that work almost as well if anyone is interested). In the Realms he is a powerful Devil and the co-ruler of the 4th of the nine Hells.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    As much as I want deities, particularly of the I want to dominate the world muhahahaha variety, I do feel the need to point out a few things.

First of all the alignment system is killed. It exists because unimaginative people whined they cant figure out what alignment their character is without some ficticious unrealistic rating system. It has no more nonsensical relation in mechanics.

Nor do making packs with devils dictate that the character has to be dark or evil. That is the ultimate flaw with the previous alignment systems and why I will not waver that only people with a lack of imagination pay it heed.

Why would somebody make a pack with a devil unless they were evil?
    To save a loved one...
    To gain enough power to help people for the greater good...
    Because the devil blackmails them...

Somebody said lawful characters would be easier to control. I am not sure I would completely agree with that. People who care about others and make packs for the right reasons are definitely the easiest to manipulate because they care about aspects other yhan themselves.
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2014
    A Paladin stands in front of a burning orphanage, the trapped kids screaming in fear and he has no resist fire gear or potions. *Poof* an imp appears and offers a deal.....the kids are saved and all the imp's master wants in return is a small favour at a later date... ;-)

No longer being locked into alignment offers wonderful options.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I cant help but wonder why no one has pointed out Makos yet. Here we have a principal character. One of the cinematic HEROES. A close friend of Mr. "I tell heroes what to do for a living" Knox. Clearly Makos is both a Warlock and not evil.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    I don't have my DnD books at hand atm, but I thought the Warlock can not only be all evil alignments, but also Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Good. So there isn't really a shortage of Gods to pick from. Unless you want to be evil, but that would contradict the game's storyline.

Short answer work-around: Tymora... for luck. Problem solved.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    harnel wrote: »

Hmm. OK. I see the point you made. Still, I wish it could retain some goodness, somehow, after being "pushed into a corner" . . . :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."