test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Feedback Thread] Auction House Spending Cap

parfaitofchaosparfaitofchaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16
edited July 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
  • Auction House: There is now a spending cap on how much can be spent in the Auction Hall per day on accounts with no level 60 characters. Normative play and purchasing activities should not experience any issues.
(patch notes link)
I am not a gold buyer, a gold seller or a cheat. All I'm trying to do is use the Astral Diamonds I've bought legitimately through ZEN. Please stop restricting people who are just trying to buy items to help them level up! It's not fair and -does not- make me want to spend more Zen if I can't even use the stupid ASTRAL DIAMONDS.

(Mod Notice: Please keep trades in-game until such a day that we host a trade forum. Thanks!)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    People trade keys for items all the time in trade chat. Try there.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • parfaitofchaosparfaitofchaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16
    edited June 2014
    That's what I've been doing for the past hour. Not a SINGLE nibble.
  • parfaitofchaosparfaitofchaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16
    edited June 2014
    I have 2.7 MILLION Astral Diamonds I can't freaking use.
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    What are you attempting to purchase?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    I don't quite understand, what is preventing you from using your Astral Diamonds?
  • realramaladnirealramaladni Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    I don't quite understand, what is preventing you from using your Astral Diamonds?

The recent AD limit on characters lower than level 60
    Hot Pants

#1 Enemy Team PvP Devoted Cleric

Best rapper 2014
    Alpha female
    edited June 2014
    panderus wrote: »
    What are you attempting to purchase?

A stack of Tomes of Companion Experience and a bow. Lost the bow because I couldn't find a workaround. Also, how is it possible that a moderator has no idea about such a huge restriction? How are people who have invested in the game but not yet level 60 supposed to even play? Why am I prevented from using the astral diamonds I have?
  • psychaos999psychaos999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Does it make any sense to buy something expensive for a sub 60 char? Anyway you'll reach 60 in few hours of game play, and whatever you have bought you'll just throw it away.
    edited June 2014
    Does it make any sense to buy something expensive for a sub 60 char? Anyway you'll reach 60 in few hours of game play, and whatever you have bought you'll just throw it away.

It's not up to you to decide what I can and can not have or what I decide to spend my currency on. That is up to me, there are things I want to buy. So yes, it makes sense.
  • ricorpricorp Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's a restriction put on an account with ZERO Lv60 characters.
    See Patch Notes: NW.15.20140528a.5
    edited June 2014
    It really, really sucks. Luckily I've found a few people willing to help me out with big purchases, but I can't even buy 5k AD pieces of armor...
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    You have a point, although as long as mulhorand gear exists, there's no reason people shouldn't take advantage of it while lvling.

What recent AD limit? I haven't read anything saying something about restricting people using the AH below lvl 60 =o
    It's bound to be another "way to counter bot sales" in the AH. But seriously, Cryptic is taking things too far. Fight the bots, not the players. Have a dev/support team member/whatever spend a few hours a week on the entrance to Rothe Valley, whispering caverns and the entrance to Sharandar on different channels and half the bots in the game will be banned. Even I can spot them from a mile afar.

This might be a stupid question, and I do not mean to steal the thread, but how can you tell the difference between a bot and a player? O.o
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Auction House: There is now a spending cap on how much can be spent in the Auction Hall per day on accounts with no level 60 characters. Normative play and purchasing activities should not experience any issues.

we appreciate the feedback, but please remember to provide it in a respectful and constructive way. this may be frustrating for you but i'm not exactly sure what you could possibly need to purchase now if you are under level 60. there may be a lot of different reasons why this was implemented in-game and as it states, normative play and purchasing activities should not experience any issues. please explain respectively and constructively why this restricts your play style.

thanks.
    edited June 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    we appreciate the feedback, but please remember to provide it in a respectful and constructive way. this may be frustrating for you but i'm not exactly sure what you could possibly need to purchase now if you are under level 60. there may be a lot of different reasons why this was implemented in-game and as it states, normative play and purchasing activities should not experience any issues. please explain respectively and constructively why this restricts your play style.

thanks.

This is all sorts of ironic. Here is how it disrupts my play:

You see how Im a Hero of The North? That came with 2 million diamonds, and I've purchased ontop of that. Right now I can not purchase any gear for myself (if, say, I wanted to roll with blue gears or the Mulhorand weapons) I can't purchase any.

Edit: To be clear, while I haven't had a ton of time to play this game I've bought pretty much every Pack and Upgrade available.

Also can't purchase runes for my companions unless they are Rank 8 and above. (If I try and buy Rank 7 and below enchantments or runestones I get the "You've spent too much!" error. 8 and above are fine, but -so much more expensive-)
    Can't purchase any fashion from the AH.
    No dyes. (Had to trade a Enchanted Key for a Nightmare Dye)
    No Tomes of Companion Experience (Had to find someone willing to buy the tomes then trade them for Enchanted Keys)

So let's review: Can't buy nice gear, can't buy nice fashion or dyes, can't buy upgrades.... My normative play is being effected. Highly. I can't purchase ANYTHING off the AH currently despite the fact I have literally millions of astral diamonds.

I'm sorry, how is this -not- effecting "normative play"?
    edited June 2014
    because you don't need high ranking runestones, mulhorand gear or anything high level for normative play. you can progress to level 60 without buying a thing.

purchasing dyes for the temporary gear you get from level 4-59 doesn't make you stronger. by the time you get your level 10-59 gear dyed and looking daft, it's time to upgrade into more powerful gear. companions will level up with you. tomes of companion experience are meant for post level 60 characters leveling up new companions.

the limit is placed on accounts that have no level 60 characters. if the spending cap is limiting you, it would seem my first goal would be to get a character to level 60.
    edited June 2014
    I'm trying to be as respectful to your response as possible, so forgive me if I sound a bit heated.

I've gained 5 levels today, give or take. However, I don't really see the point of going further if the company has no problem restricting my rights because they can't think of any other way to deal with bots and gold sellers. What does that say to the community at wide? "We don't care if you find this inconvenient, new members. You don't -need- those items that you want. They are surely just a waste, it's not like purchasing gear improves the economy or anything! Just make due until you get a level 60 character on your account and then you can do whatever you want."

Are you trying to say that I can't use my currency the way I want to? Or that me purchasing items is in some way bad for the economy? What about the zen that I've sold that went to other players? Should I not do that since I can't spend the Astral Diamonds?

I have played MMO's for over ten years and I've never in my entire career seen a company do something so catastrophically bad and unintuitive. For both the player base -and- the economy.
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    we appreciate the feedback, but please remember to provide it in a respectful and constructive way. this may be frustrating for you but i'm not exactly sure what you could possibly need to purchase now if you are under level 60.
    thanks.
    Gee maybe a mount. some enchants, refining stones....plenty of things you can buy before you are level 60.

When someone spend money(actual cash) to buy 2.7 mill ad they should probably be able to spend that on whatever they want regardless of whether or not you think there is anything he coupld possibly use those ad on.

Maybe remove the cap for people who have spent REAL money in the game.
    That way spam bots would have to at least put 5 bucks back in the system.
    I can see what you are trying for, but if you really want to get rid of the majority of spam bots make it so you cant speak in zone chat until you are level 20 or 30. Let them run their bots for a couple weeks leveling. Then when they start spamming gold in zone at level 30 they get lifetime ban and have to start again.

...and saying you dont need enchants until you are high level. You do know that people run their alts with enchants from their main character. I was in a level 20-29 match with a tr with greater enchants...Im sorry , but the mod is the only one who seems to be being disrespectful in this thread. Telling a paying customer what they can spend their money on and when is just bad business.
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Waste or not I have to see the point of the OP here. If they want to spend all their AD on throw away gear then why not let them? There has to be another way to fight against bots without affecting the normal players. I have more than my fair share of level 60's so, according to the news I am not affected, but I must stand up for the newer players. I am not a 'balls-to-the-walls' player and have taken my time to reach the level cap. What is the use of dropping extra low level items if they cannot be bought or sold? Even if it is a waste, let the player decide. After all it is their -hard earned- AD.
    edited June 2014
    Gee maybe a mount. some enchants, refining stones....plenty of things you can buy before you are level 60.

When someone spend money(actual cash) to buy 2.7 mill ad they should probably be able to spend that on whatever they want regardless of whether or not you think there is anything he coupld possibly use those ad on.

Thank you for your support! That said, it allows you to buy luxury items like mounts, companions and such. But enchants, runestones, gear and things that are actually upgrades? You are basically out of luck if you hit your cap.
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Thank you for your support! That said, it allows you to buy luxury items like mounts, companions and such. But enchants, runestones, gear and things that are actually upgrades? You are basically out of luck if you hit your cap.
    At least you can buy mounts.
    Companions also boost your stats, so why can't you buy enchants or armor in ah to boost stats?
    This is an overreaction to spam bots. But a spam bot would have no need to buy enchants or armor when they can make just as much selling the mounts and companions so it only throttles people who are actually playing.

They seriously need to make minimum level before you can post in zone chat.
    I've seen other games (castle clash) that my kids play get rid of World chat entirely for a few patches due to spam bots.
    My suggestion would be to give new players a set of **** commands (Like emotes) that are the only way they can communicate in LFG,Trade, and zone chats.
    Example:New player level 20 goes into a channel. He is looking for group. When he starts to type an emote list pops up only the listings are "LFG TR Cragmire Crypt" or "LFG TR Abberant Assault" instead of the emotes now. Player goes into trade channel and gets list of emotes "WTT,WTS,WTB, which can only be followed by item descriptions.
    People will find a way to game the auction house as long as it is profitable for them to do so. Level 30 chat minimum followed by lifetime bans for anyone who spams gold after level 30 would triple the computing power it takes to run a successful gold bot set up. I have seen set ups like this work in other games. Until they do something stupid like try to sell speakers to allow people to speak in world chat which inevitably leads to spammers return.
    They already have the resources they just need the market.
    Kill their marketing and you severely cripple their ability to easily make a profit.

TL;DR. You will never keep bots from gathering resources, you can only try and cripple their marketing. This cap does nothing to stop gold bots if thats what its supposed to be for.
    edited June 2014
    PWE never stated why they implemented the limit and i assume that "normative" means normal progression from level 0 to level 60. this may be based on averages.

if my response sounds rude because i'm not necessarily agreeing with the OP, that's more against one's interpretation.

this doesn't affect me since i have well over one level 60 character. but my presence in this thread is to provide possible reasons to the decision of implementing the limit as well as promoting respectful and constructive feedback.

if these limitations are only on Auction House purchases, then it's also possible that it's to promote zen store sales and zen exchange activity. like i originally stated, it's possible that there are multiple reasons for this implementation.

anyone can buy mounts, dyes, companions, refining stones, fashion items from the zen store. but those items are not required to get to level 60. you can purchase the hero of the north pack and you'll already have a rank 3 mount and helpful items to get to through the first few levels. you'll also have a rare companion. you can purchase the guardian pack and have the same things. and it's not hard to get one character to level 60. if you're going to complain that you can't buy these things before you reach level 60 and this is a deal breaker for you... based on "normative" play, you'd be the exception to the rule.

but you are definitely welcome to give your feedback on this as long as it's not abusive.
    edited June 2014
    *Snip(
    We aren't disagreeing with you on those points. I am UNABLE to purchase GEAR AND OTHER UPGRADES I could use for leveling! That is the very DEFINITION of disrupting play.

Just because this rule has no consequences on how you play you see no problem with it? And you addressed absolutely none of the points I made?

Here is my feedback: The AD restrictions are destructive not only to company-player trust and communications but to the economy. If a player can't trust that the currency they bought isn't going to suddenly become useless through restrictions, they aren't likely to purchase it any more. This lack of trust will hurt everyone in the end (The fresh blood coming into the game will buy founders packs and run into the same problems I have had and will probably get just as frustrated as I am). The volunteer moderators are brusque and unprofessional in typing style and communication and seem to have an alarming lack of knowledge about certain systems in the game.

But what does my opinion matter? I'm just an "exception to the rule".
    edited June 2014
    We aren't disagreeing with you on those points. I am UNABLE to purchase GEAR AND OTHER UPGRADES I could use for leveling! That is the very DEFINITION of disrupting play!

what exactly is the limit per day?
    edited June 2014

It wasn't stated, was it? The error message doesn't give me a number. I ran into it when I was buying things to outfit my character/companions after coming back from a hiatus. I'm guestimating but it might be anywhere from 150k-300k AD. Could be much more, but I doubt it.
    edited June 2014
    come monday, perhaps we can get some clarification on this. in the meantime, how far are you to level 60?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Also, how is it possible that a moderator has no idea about such a huge restriction?
    We are neither developers, nor omnipotent. Furthermore, you did not mention what was actually preventing you in your post. My apologies for not having telepathy that works at such distances but I rarely gamble in assumptions.. preferring information instead. However, I shall talk with the Mage's Guild and see what we can do to improve our ability to know what everyone is thinking at all times!

Never-the-less, you have since provided great feedback, for that we thank you.

*the old mage nods and wanders off*
    edited June 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    We are neither developers, nor omnipotent. Furthermore, you did not mention what was actually preventing you in your post. My apologies for not having telepathy that works at such distances. I shall talk with the Mage's Guild and see what we can do to improve our ability to know what everyone is thinking at all times! *the old mage nods and wanders off*

Pshaw, every gamer knows that Developers, GMs and Moderators are ALL telepathically linked to best provide for the customers. However, that said, it doesn't make me feel secure when the Mod's have no idea about things like this. I can appreciate that you guys have jobs, lives and even a great MMO to play.

But if you guys don't read the patch notes... c'mon.
    come monday, perhaps we can get some clarification on this. in the meantime, how far are you to level 60?

Went from 14-20 and I have other obligations.
    edited June 2014
    But if you guys don't read the patch notes... c'mon.
    I read all patch notes and I knew about it but honestly... it didn't click when I read your rant. I tried to lighty-heartily explain that. ;)Again, my apologies.

P.S. the reason Mel says "monday" is because the Developers are usually not active on the forums during the weekends.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014

They won't tell us.

Honestly, I wonder if there could be a workaround because every actual player (not a goldseller) who is adversely affected by this change is a person who has spent real money on the game.

We already know that there are bypass mechanics on other activities that are moderately level-restricted (sending tells, forming a guild, Foundry access) based on having bought Zen or one of the packs. So I wonder if that couldn't be expanded to allow AH purchasing for the people who are just trying to dispose of their disposable income in a way that's fun for them.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Honestly, I wonder if there could be a workaround because every actual player (not a goldseller) who is adversely affected by this change is a person who has spent real money on the game.

Can't help feeling that this would be a common sense approach - buy a pack and have the right to dispose of the ADs as you see fit. It is only right considering the Guardian and Feywild packs give you 600K and HoTN 2m. Why restrict these??

If you wanna blow the lot in one day on the AH, why not?

For somebody NOT buying one of the 3 AD gifting packs, you should hit level 60 hopefully before you have that sort of AD amount (depending on how much the daily limit is). But for those with the packs, why restrict the chance to spend on profession assets or keys from the AH?? They have the AD that the company deemed appropriate in the packs, let them spend how they see fit.

I do see this as potentially restricting some people's gameplay - sledgehammer to crack nuts approach is never the best way.
This discussion has been closed.