test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are you the type that wants help or left alone

linoge63linoge63 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 373 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Im kinda new here even though i have a few level 60 characters. I am wondering though, when you are engaging mobs, typically do you welcome the help of passer by players or would you rather be left alone to finish the mobs.
Post edited by linoge63 on

Comments

• Options
    kargisterkargister Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You want to help me? Go to it. They aren't "my" mobs. If they were, they wouldn't drop "your" quest items when you kill them now would they? Seriously, kill away. I'm not here to prove anything, have at it.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't need help but I do not mind it either. I will tag along and DPS for a DC if we are in the same region because while I do not play them I try to share the love.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I have heard that some players find it rude if someone rides by and doesn't help out...but i see the reverse as stated in the 1st post and is well taken. It would be a good add on if there was an easy way to launch a help message ...perhaps it rises up like a neon balloon for other players to see at a distance to come to ones aid..and if this balloon isnt up...it implies..i want no help leave me alone.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Depends. If we're heading to a quest objective where we need to clear the mobs, you better not clear the objective letting me aggro all of the adds for you, that's just rude. Elsewhere if you directly need to kill the mobs for quests, then you are free to do so, I don't care so long as you make sure I get credit for the drop, that means letting me do enough damage on the mob and in the case of troll idols, make sure that you time it after me
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yes...but looking for group tends to be for ppl knowing they are heading into specific difficulties no? not necessarily for when one is being overwhelmed or for a temporary instances.
  • Options
    hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I will gladly help anyone that needs assistance or information. Especially DC's since I have one at 60 and know how tough it can be sometimes.
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    hudman21 wrote: »
    I will gladly help anyone that needs assistance or information. Especially DC's since I have one at 60 and know how tough it can be sometimes.

I agree, but to know when to help in non heroic quests without being rude isnt clear...as some do want help and find it rude if you dont help. An aliased clear emote saying so to a one keypunch action would be nice
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I prefer to not have help. I would much rather simply run my dailies alone, at my own pace, and in my own way. However, I try not to be grumpy about it, and tend to be proactive. I will pretty much always transfer to a nearly empty instance before I do any dailies. Up till recently, its worked out fine.

IWD on the other hand, has been a lesson in frustration. Im not enjoying the area nearly as much simply due to how full the zones are, and the competition for spawns.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hmm. It depends on the help. If I'm playing my HR, I set up mobs under/on DoT effects (rain of arrows, thorn ward, rain of swords), so if someone wants to help it's not a problem as long as they don't knock the mob out of where I've carefully set it up. TR's and DC's are usually okay there, but it gets annoying when a fighter rushes in with his shield and knocks the mob 20 feet after I've gone to the trouble to already doom it -- it makes me have to start all over again. I get *really* annoyed when the same GF/GWF starts following me around Sharandar and disrupting fights that I've set up. My HR's GS is just short of 18.7k; she could do Sharandar dailies with her eyes closed and doesn't need any help whatsoever.

I offer help pretty readily, but as an HR I can be non-disruptive doing so (plinking a mob with arrows, raining arrows down on it from above, or setting up a thorn underneath it).

Mobs: do not anger Thia. She will seal your fate.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    linoge63 wrote: »
    I have heard that some players find it rude if someone rides by and doesn't help out...but i see the reverse as stated in the 1st post and is well taken. It would be a good add on if there was an easy way to launch a help message ...perhaps it rises up like a neon balloon for other players to see at a distance to come to ones aid..and if this balloon isnt up...it implies..i want no help leave me alone.

In another game that shall remain unmentioned, pressing "Y" launched a "<player> yells for help." emote. Maybe the devs could add this feature?
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Personally, if I'm doing well against the mobs, then I'd prefer you find another group of enemies to fight. If, however, I'm struggling/low on health, then by all means, jump in!

The only time I get upset is if I'm clearing enemies near an objective, and someone else runs in a gets said objective - that annoys me to no end.

I'd also like to point out that if I just started fighting some enemies, am doing well, then someone else comes by and nukes them all - I may not get the credit/items I need - so please move right on by.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I dont really need help with anything besides dungeons.

But that doesnt mean I like to be left alone. I perfer company in playing with people.
    As a roleplayer, I'll be fully IC through everything anway.

So I would say its neither. I like the company, but I dont need help with much concerning anything in the game really. I'm not really slow or stupid. I can figure things out on my own quite well enough.
  • Options
    w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I prefer questing alone, not in a party because then I get to decide where to go, what to do at my own pace. But I don't mind if people come to my aid, even if I don't need it. The faster the mobs die the faster I can move on and finish my daily grind that much sooner. As long as they're not jerks and don't steal my quest objectives, I am fine with it. I don't mind either if people who didn't fight the mobs come near enough to get credit from caravan survivors or portal hounds or sharandar guardians.

I never even thought someone would consider it rude if I joined in killing the mobs they're fighting. If they're fighting the trolls that block the tree with the meat, should I just stand politely back, wait for them to kill the mobs and then take my meat? That sounds even more rude.
  • Options
    celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I never even thought someone would consider it rude if I joined in killing the mobs they're fighting. If they're fighting the trolls that block the tree with the meat, should I just stand politely back, wait for them to kill the mobs and then take my meat? That sounds even more rude.

I never thought it rude to help either. If there is a shared objective (ie. it doesn't disappear after one player collects it) then I feel it necessary to share the pain of helping to earn the goodies. Now I do help fight and then allow the first player the chance to get the objective first that way if it does disappear after they pick it up I know for future references. I spent a few times just killing mobs and leaving the quest items behind just to help out someone that was struggling. I also randomly heal players if I am on my DC... it is their duty after all and I constantly need to remind myself that they are still useful. I do suck at soloing, I can do it, but I prefer grouping unless I am on just to kill time. Sharandar and DR I enjoy grouping the dungeons as it helps defeat the dungeons faster. I do hate it when I am near death after fighting a mob and my quest item has mysteriously disappeared and you see the silloette of a toon running off into the sunset. Convenient.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I don't mind help. What I do mind are the quest ninjas in Icewind ''helping'' themselves to my mineshafts and troll idols.

I generally look at someone's health when riding past and also take cognisance of their class. If you are 50 - 75% health and a DC or GF, I will help. If it is in a place like Sharandar where we will all get the reward for being in close proximity, I jump in.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    we are human bro, sometimes we like to help, sometimes we like to be left alone
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If I'm levelling a companion in shar or dread, and I see some guy getting mobbed to death or they ask me to join in a lair quest, I help, otherwise no. Though to be honest, it's just like having an extra pet to look after. :)

Sometimes I look around protectors and laugh, my blacksmith often has better stats than some of the newbies. I suppose we've all been there.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    linoge63 wrote: »
    Im kinda new here even though i have a few level 60 characters. I am wondering though, when you are engaging mobs, typically do you welcome the help of passer by players or would you rather be left alone to finish the mobs.

Usually I do not welcome "assistance" and when someone else is in a fight and I am the by-passer, I will usually not kill-steal the mobs. When the guy is having a hard time though, I may kill a healer foe, helping somehow but not ruining the guy's quest.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It would be a good add on if there was an easy way to launch a help message
    magenubbie wrote: »
    That's what the /lfg is for, isn't it? I'm perfectly willing to help any DC or GF out if they have a problem completing the quests. I'll even go with them in the lairs without having a key myself if they ask for it. It's only a 10 min run max. No big deal.

So I'd like to counter your suggestion with the reverse: As long as people are not asking for help, don't "help" them. If not out of curtsey for your fellow player, then at least consider they'll have to learn just like you had to. Even slow DCs have to learn how to deal with mobs. It's easier for some than it is for others. They'll ask for help when they need it.

I believe he was talking more about split-second help (you know, "yelling for help" from that guy riding by in the midst of a combat with a monster that's chewing your face off. Not the whole "anyone want to team up to do <quest>" /lfg thing).
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There is no issues with DC up to Mod 3 , they can kill anything just fine and run things in a general ok manner . IWD changes that for a DC and a GF class, there it sux. If you see someone in any area other then IWD dale, needed help, they probably didnt bother to spend 5k at the AH on some blues and slot r4s to do the quests and running around with greens on from lvl 49 or something. First day I hit 60 I actually came to the forums and specifically asked "what next" I took that advice, rose my GS to like 9k with only 40k AD, so sorry, anyone who leveled up should have at least around 20k to drop, this is enough to run the DR and Sharander dailies with no issues on any class.

General tip, if your mob is in the the path of other peoples quest objective, its not yours, its trash that needs to be cleared.

I generally do not want people near me while I quest, as some of the quest objectives are not sharable.. or have to click at same moment to get (troll idols) or in sharander where limited amounts of stupid tame your dogs that dont respawn fast enough is annoying (flip instance.. DOH, even more people there, another one.. IS there no one not doing stupid tame your dog!)

I do look at the poeple around me, someone at 1/4 health on open world, Ill run over and attack, sorry if I messed up your testing or something, but hey, better then let someone drop I guess.

Ive been on the other side, testing some stuff and pulled 20-30 mobs and gotten "help" so I just went to different area and tried again.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    The sort of "help" that I resent the most is when I am fighting a large pull, all neatly gathered up, and some 10k wonder rentapony CW rocks up, drops an Ice Storm, and then kicks off with the repels and shield pulses. This is particularly irritating when you're quietly soloing a small HE for your own entertainment.

Generally, if they do that, I just stop DPSsing for a while and let the mobs eat them- after all, they were so keen on getting involved.

I will sometimes step in and kill mobs for a DC who looks like they're in danger of dying of boredom, though, if I'm passing.
  • Options
    badxideasbadxideas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    ...If you are 50 - 75% health and a DC or GF, I will help.

Im sure people appreciate your help, but GFs don't need it. I have no idea why people are putting the GF in the same category as DC. GF might have problems doing damage fast, but certainly NOT taking damage. There is no IWD content (except the group encounters) that a GF cannot solo just fine, including Biggrin, groups of giants, trolls, etc etc. If I am at 50% health in IWD it is by choice, because I have chosen not to drink a potion. When I have 75% health, I still have way more HP than 90% of the population. Dig?

That said, it doesnt bother me if someone helps out. I do the same. Just don't do it 'cause you pity me lol.
    Amillion Bucks L60 obsolete GF
    Amillion Dollars L60 'easy mode' GWF
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I help people who look like they're struggling, and on occasion that really does mean saving somebody's butt, particularly in IWD.

Now, because I have a pretty solid grounding in group dynamics, I can usually find a way of assisting that doesn't involve scattering anyone's carefully bunched mobs or anything of the sort, though if you're the type to carefully bunch the mobs, I would usually ride past with a glance, conclude "person is doing fine" and keep going.

It's when I see someone pulling a huge train get knocked off their horse that I'll usually step in.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I help people who look like they're struggling, and on occasion that really does mean saving somebody's butt, particularly in IWD.

Now, because I have a pretty solid grounding in group dynamics, I can usually find a way of assisting that doesn't involve scattering anyone's carefully bunched mobs or anything of the sort, though if you're the type to carefully bunch the mobs, I would usually ride past with a glance, conclude "person is doing fine" and keep going.

It's when I see someone pulling a huge train get knocked off their horse that I'll usually step in.

..and that, folks, is how you do it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I am glad i asked....each point of view of course is valid and there are many and it varies based on conditions...which makes it interesting to be a part of.

Factors such as:

The class and health state of the player who's up to their hips in battle
    Shared and non shared quest / drop items
    The mindset of the player...some just want to be left alone, some want to really test new gear etc ...

It then seems to me that the Y button previously mentioned annnnnd, making it so all drops and quest items are shared by any that engage.
    I'd hate to see anyone not obtain a reward for caring enough to help someone on the brink.

Those that gain a psychological payoff for pissing ppl off in taking items the initiating player carefully set up for and spend 5 sweaty minutes wearing the mobs down would be ended if items were shared in all situations. The only <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off that really cant be ended would be the GWF blowing the mob out of position... and the killing blow many love to have being taken away from them if they are healthy enough to perform it.

Perhaps...it could be coded that when a mob that's not in a heroic engagement, is attacked..the area around the attack becomes red..kinda like the PVP area...signifying to especially new players a message..." This player does not have its help me balloon up so be courteous and wait for a respawn" or something like that.

Also...things happen so fast sometimes its hard to get a lockon of the player to send a tell...a button one could link to a message alike the Y button for help, but for Thanks! would go far to generate good vibes in game.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    There is one other situation that I just thought of where I definitely don't want any help: when I've set up a 1-on-1 fight between my companion and a mob (which can be tricky sometimes). Sometimes I do it for pure entertainment and sometimes to gauge my companion's strengths and weaknesses, but it's always a pain when I've finally got that perfect fight going and some GWF rushes in to "save" me.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I love the ones that help you, by helping you harvest ice nodes. Now, I know, no one owns an ice node. But its still annoying when I see a large node that has gone untouched, because its guarded by big toothy things. So when I take the time to dispatch those big toothy things so I can harvest the node unmolested. Its frustrating to see "helpers" come out of no where to also mine the ice. So, while I cant make them go away, and ranting is useless. I will continue to remain grumpy about it.

Heck even had one, watch me clear the spawn. Waited for the node to get clear. Then jumped in and "helped" and felt so good about it, he even had the nerve to offer me a guild invite. It was hard to find the proper words to turn him down in a way I felt sufficient without cussing.