test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Back from long hiatus, advice for getting going?

shinnyshinshinnyshin Member Posts: 13 Arc User
edited June 2014 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
Hi, I went on quite the playing binge way back in beta but haven't really played since then. I rolled a GF up to about max level and had a blast (honestly not sure why I quit) and've decided to pick the game back up! I was hoping you lot could give me some advice on how to get back in the swing of things.

1) Should I resume playing my GF? From the class board, it doesn't seem like GF players are having much fun these days...I started up a CW just in case the GF thing is bust.

2) I've a bit of spending money available and was considering getting $10 in Zen. Is it worth it? Looking at the store now, I'm not sure how far $10 would get me and certainly don't best know how to allocate it...though the free pack that comes with having spent money looks enticing just by itself.

3) Any general advice for the climb up?

Thankee kindly!
Post edited by shinnyshin on

Comments

• query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As a GF I would take a serious look at the corrupt BI gear. It is GF gear that has offensive stats. OFFENSIVE STATS! On a GF. that's all I have to say about that. Your CW is more than good for AD grind as it is easy to make money with a CW. SAve your cash and do some CN runs.
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Start hitting Sharandar or Dread ring campaign, you need 3 boons at least in one of them to access Ice Wind Dale.

Ice wind dale has things that hit,.. hard. You probably should get all the boons, if you have the patience.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, if you are looking to spend some Zen right away, you can't go wrong with a few Character Slots. I would recommend getting enough for one of each Class, then just playing all of them a little at a time until you decide which you like best. They introduced something special for us Altoholics out there with the new Module. Each and every class now has a special Artifact that, once unlocked, will be available for free across every character on your account.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Anyway, to op; GF isn't the most over powered of classes at the moment, but I still enjoy it. I have a character of each class. My recommendation is play whatever is most fun to you.
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Playing a GF in IWD can be more frustrating than challenging as time passes due to grinding dailies, but your beta GF won't be able to get to IWD right away, so there's still quite a bit of enjoyment to be had if you intend to start gearing/preparing for it.

The best value you can get out of $10 at the moment, other than saving up for an account wide mount, I would say is to put half of it $5 into character slots, and redeem the first time buyer's pack. It's great value, and the companion goes great on a DC.

You fill up those new slots and try different classes up till level 11, then you can continue playing a main while passively leveling leadership professions and leveling them through invoking to generate a bit of income to fund your main. The good thing about it, is you will can come back and play the other classes later without having to start from scratch if you decide to.
  • shinnyshinshinnyshin Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thankee for the help! Yeah, sounds like I'll probs PvE up a CW and grind the moneys and Rogue for my PvP fill...and once I'm well funded go back to the GF. Thanks again for all the advice.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you really love the GF stick with it. But as others have said, weakest in pvp, and the new module encounters can be fustrating to achieve contribution bonus.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Actually if you like PvE and melee.... try a GWF too, they're pretty good there.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Welcome back!