test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic Camera Controls - Different on Neverwinter, possible to change?

thelostexilethelostexile Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2014 in PvE Discussion
"Cryptic Camera Controls"

So I'll point out that this thread is about what I'll deem for the rest of the discussion as the "Cryptic Camera Controls". These are the camera controls scheme seen in two other of Cryptic's games, namely, "Champions Online" and "Star Trek Online". The camera control scheme changed, however, in "Neverwinter".

Clarification of how they work:

Champions Online/Star Trek Online: The camera is in a fixed position behind the character, however, if you were standing still, you could rotate the camera, and leave it there. You were free to click on other things, type in chat, and do whatever you wanted while having a zoomed in view of your character or otherwise. This is the camera control scheme I deem as the "Cryptic Camera Controls".

Neverwinter: The camera is again in a fixed position behind your character, however, you cannot release the camera controls without hitting a certain key which allows you to use menus and what have you, but the camera is still fixed unless you enter "observation mode" set to different key, which lets you freely observe your character, but nothing else as it removes all the menus and windows.

So while I understand the observation mode may be for screenshots and what have you, I preferred the older function where if you hit the 'screenshot' key on your keyboard, the game automatically removed all HUD icons and just took a screen as it were and saved it to a 'screenshots' folder within the game's directory. I also preferred the ability to just "free-look" around the character when they were standing still. Since Neverwinter's control scheme for combat is different, I can understand why the camera needs to be locked behind the character for that, but what I don't understand is why there isn't just a key to revert it back to the old camera controls for a combination of using the menus and looking at your character, if you wanted.

Now, I'm under the impression you can't change the controls to function like I would hope, the camera you can (sort of) rotate around, but using the chat and other menus at the same time becomes a pain if you want it locked in that position. I was wondering, that if proposed, it would be possible to shift the controls so that the combat camera controls are still the same, but a single key allows rotation of the camera around the character and the ability to use the menus as well, including the chat box? In other words, keeping the current combat camera controls, but have a button that reverts it to the "Cryptic Camera Control" scheme.

This may seem like an unimportant suggestion to the majority of the masses, but I'm sure there's at least several other players that would agree. Mostly role players. Thoughts? Opinions?
Post edited by thelostexile on

Comments

• crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well STO & NW play pretty different STO is tab to target NW isn't, with tab targeting you dont need your mouse to be aiming at a person to attack, but on NW you do so it's easier in general to have it how it is now.
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • thelostexilethelostexile Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    crazymikee wrote: »
    Well STO & NW play pretty different STO is tab to target NW isn't, with tab targeting you dont need your mouse to be aiming at a person to attack, but on NW you do so it's easier in general to have it how it is now.

I'm not saying remove NW's existing system completely and replace it with STO's system, I'm saying that there should be a separate key that just reverts it to the old system for utility's sake. Once you enter combat, or need to enter combat again, you just hit that key again, and it's back to the NW camera control scheme, which is very ideal for how it's combat is structured, you are correct.

There's already an existing two keys that have two functions, one is to access the menus, and the other is "observation mode" which removes all the menus and lets you look at your character. I was saying it really should just be combined into one key and function like the old camera scheme. In my opinion, it'd make it a lot easier to use.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm not saying remove NW's existing system completely and replace it with STO's system, I'm saying that there should be a separate key that just reverts it to the old system for utility's sake. Once you enter combat, or need to enter combat again, you just hit that key again, and it's back to the NW camera control scheme, which is very ideal for how it's combat is structured, you are correct.

There's already an existing two keys that have two functions, one is to access the menus, and the other is "observation mode" which removes all the menus and lets you look at your character. I was saying it really should just be combined into one key and function like the old camera scheme. In my opinion, it'd make it a lot easier to use.

I've been playing Star Trek Online since beta, and Champions Online long before that, so I know exactly where you're coming from; Neverwinter takes a LOT of player adjustment and getting used to. The two systems just aren't compatible (they are trying exactly what you request with the new PW Game called Swordsman - which I am alpha-testing - I tried the "Neverwinter" controls (they actually say this: Best for players familiar with neverwinter) - it sucks. So I switched to the Tab-Target mode.) - they just aren't compatible with each other.

The thing is, once I finally got used to the neverwinter style of controls EVERY other MMO just isn't as much fun (even the new Swordsman).

All I can recommend is that you keep at it, you'll get used to the new "Action" style UI controls.

As for key binds - you can always change those.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd just want a way to scroll in out without being in observation mode. what is the mouse wheel used for when not in ovservation mode? it does nothing! :S
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • thelostexilethelostexile Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I've been playing Star Trek Online since beta, and Champions Online long before that, so I know exactly where you're coming from; Neverwinter takes a LOT of player adjustment and getting used to. The two systems just aren't compatible (they are trying exactly what you request with the new PW Game called Swordsman - which I am alpha-testing - I tried the "Neverwinter" controls (they actually say this: Best for players familiar with neverwinter) - it sucks. So I switched to the Tab-Target mode.) - they just aren't compatible with each other.

The thing is, once I finally got used to the neverwinter style of controls EVERY other MMO just isn't as much fun (even the new Swordsman).

All I can recommend is that you keep at it, you'll get used to the new "Action" style UI controls.

As for key binds - you can always change those.

I'll re-phrase what I said: I'm not talking about tab-targeting -at all-. I'm not talking about using CO or STO's combat system being used for NW.

I'm saying KEEP NW's targetting and combat system the way it is now, if anything I like NW's combat system and how the camera is locked, HOWEVER, when you're using menus and chat, use CO's and STO's system for just clicking and camera rotation and what have you while you're standing still and not engaged in combat. I think it'd be much better for utilizing menus and chat, while maintaining NW's combat system which works well for it's combat, as it doesn't use tab targetting.
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I'd just want a way to scroll in out without being in observation mode. what is the mouse wheel used for when not in ovservation mode? it does nothing! :S

This is, in a nutshell, what I'm asking for, aside from leaving the camera stationary at different angles, able to access menus, and access chat outside observation mode and combat.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    . . . Yeah, I also have played STO since beta and CO since release. It took me a while to fully adjust to Neverwinter's control scheme. I never did like the shooter mode they later implemented in STO. I wouldn't mind if they did implement an additional control scheme like they did in STO when they added Shooter.

. . . In respect to STO, NWO has that "Shooter" mode and what we lack here is the "RPG" mode, so implementing an RPG Mode like they did with the Shooter mode in STO, wouldn't override the current scheme but simply add an additional scheme that could be easily toggled to and from with a keybind.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited June 2014

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?209522-Instructions-to-set-up-your-mousewheel-for-camera-zoom&highlight=camera+zoom+guide

• reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know about that topic, but that's not what I want, that just changes the field of vision, it's not exactly the same, and zooming out or in too much looks completely weird.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • bladnasterbladnaster Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I ended up using the scroll wheel for my encounters. Flick it up for one, down for the other, middle press for another and two side buttons for my daily's.
  • krungnorkrungnor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In this video and with the files in the dropbox link, they say how to make zoom with de mousewhee. It works, but you need to go to keybinds menu and to apply the changes after enter the command: /bind_load_file keybinds \_custom.txt. You can also make more .txt coping the structure of the others to zoom more.