test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This is what I don't understand about GWF

oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
edited June 2014 in The Militia Barracks
I'm a GF 13.5K and the other day I went to FH with 3 GWF (from 10.8K to 15.5K) and 1 CW, all the GWFs were able to Tank more than me and obviously, DPS a lot more than me, I mean, sometimes I had to stop attacking and run in circles to don't get aggro and die (Like when a GWF is chasing you in Unsto when your guard is broken or when you don't have dodges left and your encounters are in CD) while the GWF was grouping and grouping mobs of enemies and surviving due to Life Steal and Unsto, it made me feel bad, I mean, I understand the DPS, but why a DPS Build in a DPS Class can survive much better than a Tanky Build in a Tanky Class... For me there's no logic, NO LOGIC!, it's like if one guy create a GWF hoping to be the best DPS and it result that the guardian Class is the King of DPS!.

The DPSiest GWF can Tank better than the Tankiest GF, and even then being Tanky in this game doesn't matter much, so what do we have?.
Post edited by oicidraz on

Comments

• Options
    qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We have your tears!

(BTW I play a GF)
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There are one or two VERY specific Builds with VERY specific Gear that allows supper powerful GWF's to do extraordinary things. However, these are Bleeding Edge characters with large amounts of resources piled into them. More standard GWF's are much less powerful. My two Mains' are a GH and a GWF, so I get both points of view here. The real problems are the Agro Mechanics and the over reliance on wave upon wave of Adds as opposed to strategy.
    Just run a pure, balls-to-the-wall offensive GF. They can actually be CRAZY fun and do all kinds of Damage while keeping a really NICE Defense up.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    CW is out of whack (Devs admit it, but haven't done anything about it yet), GWF got 'nerfed' hard with Module 3 - and the change to power, and the 2 Feats that turn defensive or utility stats into 'More Power' resulted in the GWF being even more over the top than CWs.
    Also, the issues why the 2 'prime' AoE classes (CW and GWF) are more tanky than GFs:
    - They can dodge/sprint, potentially moving out of heavy hits. A GF is doomed to stand there and watch his block be broken.
    - They deal more damage than you, so they get more mileage out of 'Lifesteal', giving them an easier self-sustain.
    - CWs usually use Steal Time with High Vizier gear to stack defense on themselves, plus they have control components in pretty much every high Damage ability
    - GWFs have Unstoppable, so they eat 1 or 2 Red circles, mash Tab, and become immune against controls and recieve a good chunk of Damage Reduction. Rinse, Repeat.
  • Options
    isammaxisammax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    mircalla83 wrote: »
    Also, the issues why the 2 'prime' AoE classes (CW and GWF) are more tanky than GFs:

sorry, WHAT? CWs are more tanky than GF? Have you ever played CW?
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The problem w/ GFs, (I have 2 level 60 GFs), is that when their guard is broken/depleted, they are SOL. A GWF, OTOH, can simply keep refilling defiance by taking damage or killing enemies. IMO, GFs should *never* be unable to block - I have suggested implementing a system where, even if their guard meter is depleted, a GF can still block, just that it'd function at a much decreased level.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    or a way to quickly recover guard meter, by taking damage or something like that.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    simple to solve / my opinion: Give a kind of avoidance for GF class (as a physical bearing) and transform your shield more endurance, beyond the more reformulate as agroo is constructed, I suppose it's not easy, but .. .

but for all this to work you must reframe how dungeons were made ​​to give more useful for other classes. GWF regarding this game could change the name to "god weapon fighter." nobody liked, no one is enjoying it and nobody liked if things continue like this! many things could be done, but what really matters is inventing nonsense to spend ingame, sad, because soon there will be others. gets the hint.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    or a way to quickly recover guard meter, by taking damage or something like that.

Hmm... "taking damage now builds your guard meter" - it'd provide an interesting synergy regarding when to block or when not to block.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nerf lifesteal

it way outperforms regen

eg. retains it's % but capped at a maximum of a fixed percentage of your max health each time it procs, which can only be affected by boons, to make them meaningful

end of CWF stacked farms, DCs and GFs rejoice, TRs still wait for class review
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    wimpazoid wrote: »
    nerf lifesteal

it way outperforms regen

eg. retains it's % but capped at a maximum of a fixed percentage of your max health each time it procs, which can only be affected by boons, to make them meaningful

end of CWF stacked farms, DCs and GFs rejoice, TRs still wait for class review

I like lifesteal, I think of my GWF as a vampire.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Honestly, I would not at all mind seeing the assorted Defensive Stats as used by GF's buffed substantially. Perhapse through Feats. You have one already that effectively DOUBLES your Power. Build on this. Have another that removes the Soft Cap of Defense. Another that doubles your Regeneration, yet another that doubles your Deflection and still a further one which radically increases your Deflect amount.
    Make weaker Classes MORE fun and exciting rather than stronger Classes LESS.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    jasonf247jasonf247 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited June 2014
    This post is only about pve situations, especially boss fights.
    It seems to me that there's a big misconception about a GF's role in this game, probably based on the way tanky classes are played in other games. The perception is that being the tank means taking the most damage while still dealing plenty. In this game, that's the GWF. GFs are set up to be the distraction. They are the ones that scream "HEY, UGLY, COME GET ME!" while running around with their defenses up. They need to leave the boss alone, it's going to go where it wants to anyway. Get all the agro you can from everything else and run it around as long as possible. That gives everyone else the time needed to bring down the boss. 4 mediocre players can bring down a boss if they're with a great GF that knows what they're doing. Everybody plays their role and everybody wins. When the GF decides to run in and punch the big baddie in the face, CWs and DCs are left running for their lives from 50 adds and there's often lots of dying involved. I saw this a bunch this weekend with the CTA. Nearly every time I was in a group with a well geared level 60 GF, they were going for the boss, and whether I was on my GWF, CW, DC, or HR, I had to abandon a large part of my role to either go after adds or just run for my life.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    giggliato wrote: »
    I like lifesteal, I think of my GWF as a vampire.
    You still have Lifesteal, the % drained doesn't change, but instead of needing a cap on targets on powers of various classes, simply cap the maximum amout healed on each proc no matter how many targets hit, so you can no longer go from 10% to full health in 1 hit.
    starbigamo wrote: »
    The problem isnt life steal, FFS

GWF should make like 50% more DPS than a GFm not more than 300% more as it does now! And GF should resist like 70% more damage (no way to run out you know) not 50% LESS resistance to enemies it is now.

My Guardian fighter is retired until cryptic got some brain and some shame in their face to fix that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> state.

Oh but it is, you will see much more GWFs go down waiting for pots to cooldown with their run and gun playstyle, or at least forced to use pots or some kind of healing from DCs. Unstoppable doesn't work nearly as well wihout the healing from lifesteal while its active to keep GWFs alive during crazy add fest boss fights.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    jasonf247 wrote: »
    It seems to me that there's a big misconception about a GF's role in this game, probably based on the way tanky classes are played in other games. The perception is that being the tank means taking the most damage while still dealing plenty. In this game, that's the GWF. GFs are set up to be the distraction. They are the ones that scream "HEY, UGLY, COME GET ME!" while running around with their defenses up. They need to leave the boss alone, it's going to go where it wants to anyway. Get all the agro you can from everything else and run it around as long as possible. That gives everyone else the time needed to bring down the boss. 4 mediocre players can bring down a boss if they're with a great GF that knows what they're doing. Everybody plays their role and everybody wins. When the GF decides to run in and punch the big baddie in the face, CWs and DCs are left running for their lives from 50 adds and there's often lots of dying involved. I saw this a bunch this weekend with the CTA. Nearly every time I was in a group with a well geared level 60 GF, they were going for the boss, and whether I was on my GWF, CW, DC, or HR, I had to abandon a large part of my role to either go after adds or just run for my life.

1º- I wasn't talking about the boss fight, I know well what I have to do, I was complaining about the GWFs were puting together like 3 group of mobs and destroying them while their HP was never below 35-40% while I'm struggling with 1-2 groups, and sometimes I got my HP at 10% and had to stop attacking, but the 3 GWFs (even the 10.8K) were doing it great. If our only job in the entire game is not to Tank, but to kite adds in the bosses (and in the couple of dungeons that ppl accept us) and be extremely excluded in the "High End" dungeons they should put an advice...

2º- I share the opinion that LS is at least part of the reason that a GF (and partially DC) are excluded, it's simple, if you die without them then you would search for a GF/DC in your party, it's as simple as that, now, I also share the view that GWF should do 50% or maybe 100% more than us, but they usually do 200-400% more... I mean, at least we are supposed to be fighters (even if we are a support class we should do more than a DC).
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014

That's pretty much it,

So... after all this time... we've learned to survive ... without them...

If they cannot... or will not do their job...

Then there's no use for them in any party....

That's a stinging truth for sure...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    That's pretty much it,

So... after all this time... we've learned to survive ... without them...

If they cannot... or will not do their job...

Then there's no use for them in any party....

That's a stinging truth for sure...
    This here is two pronged, GFs can certainly make a run easier for the party, but beyond a certain GS bracket, they become completely unnecessary.

That's why high GS GFs no longer bother to tank and simply maximise their DPS for efficiency. Who needs them when players can already dps down adds so fast and outheal the damage they can take?

So the blame goes both ways.
  • Options
    harrivengerharrivenger Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Well, the issue is, the "kite" role can be easily replaced by another GWF.
    Harrivenger (Master Infiltrator)
    Ebony (Whisperknife)

• Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This here is two pronged, GFs can certainly make a run easier for the party, but beyond a certain GS bracket, they become completely unnecessary.

That's why high GS GFs no longer bother to tank and simply maximise their DPS for efficiency.

So the blame goes both ways.

No... the truth is, they've never really been able to do this that well.

I've been playing this game for almost a year now and that problem has always been there. Me, as a CW running for my life in a crowd of mobs while the GF runs out and ignored their primary responsibillty as a protector.

The easy remedy was a GWF. At least togather we could have a prone/stun fest if there wasn't going to be any agro control in the first place.

I've been pushing lately for greater Agro control for GFs... but it won't do a **** bit of good if I continue to see what I've been doing since the beginning of this game.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Well, the issue is, the "kite" role can be easily replaced by another GWF.

Or HR, I kite pretty good with my HR, and CW are very good at it if they are able to survive, DCs can do it too but I haven't see 1 able to truly gather all the mobs and let all the others 100% free of mobs... so the Kite can be done by a lot of classes that are usefull in the entire Dungeon, why bring a GF then :)?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    GFs' tab ability should be more of a "hard taunt", and they should benefit form having more enemies beating on them - maybe temporary regen that scales w/ the strength of any hits they take and the number of enemies attacking them.
  • Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nerf lifesteal

Bad idea. It is the core of some builds that let you do tougher end game stuff without being it a total pain (constantly having to avoid red areas and drinking potions is not fun).

Also, nerfing it will not make the GF survive more. It's the GF class that needs buffs.
  • Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    starbigamo wrote: »
    To make the GF a proper tank the damage reduction should be capped at at least 70% in the late game, not the actual 48%. you REACHES level 60 with that in the first place.

That would not solve anything because it'd just make all classes survive more and leave the GF where it currenlty is (relative to the other classes). Some of the GF's feats should be buffed... Thoughness giving more HP, Armor Specialization having a larger effect (both for the GF only... not other classes). Plate Agility giving 10% more deflect, Shield Defence giving +10 AC, etc.

Also it would be nice to allow GFs access to high regeneration rings like the TRs and HRs have. Wearing two ring with 400+ regeneration would help.
  • Options
    jasonf247jasonf247 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited June 2014
    GWFs don't pull the agro that GFs do. As a GWF, I can run by every enemy in the room, but unless I'm actively fighting them, they don't care and won't turn to me if they're already focused on someone else.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    No... the truth is, they've never really been able to do this that well.

I've been playing this game for almost a year now and that problem has always been there. Me, as a CW running for my life in a crowd of mobs while the GF runs out and ignored their primary responsibillty as a protector.

The easy remedy was a GWF. At least togather we could have a prone/stun fest if there wasn't going to be any agro control in the first place.

I've been pushing lately for greater Agro control for GFs... but it won't do a **** bit of good if I continue to see what I've been doing since the beginning of this game.
    For a GF running Enhanced Mark, control of adds is usually not a problem, at least not mine or the GFs i ran across.

I could say the same for inexperienced CWs and HRs, who start off by dispersing the adds everywhere, Ice Storm or Arcane Singularity away from the party. Or flat out just greedy for 1st strike across multiple mobs for the sake of paingiver. During boss fights, where other players should focus on boss, many inexperienced players will tend to focus on adds which can get increasingly hard for a GF to control if teammates pull them away. Good teamplay with a good GF should mostly just have the GF on adds until the boss is downed in most cases to not have problems.

Of course there are exceptions where the GF would need a DC's heal or a DPS to kill off adds as they come, especially those than can range jump the GF doing large damage, the drow warriors, barbarians in IWD, skeletons in CN etc.

A GF is not a personal tank but a party tank, it helps if the rest of the team's mindset is party oriented. If someone simply wants to run and burn through multiple mobs, then undoubtedly the GWF is ideal in terms of tankiness and DPS to shoulder the weight off the party.

Likewise inexperienced players with every class exists no matter the timeframe in every game. But if the GWF should lose that ability (or even CWs) then a well played GF can easily come into play as long as the party don't bite off more than the they can chew. People's mindset is that only the GF or DC is the one that needs to think about the party, while the rest just think about Paingiver.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Bad idea. It is the core of some builds that let you do tougher end game stuff without being it a total pain (constantly having to avoid red areas and drinking potions is not fun).

Also, nerfing it will not make the GF survive more. It's the GF class that needs buffs.
    It isn't, you get the same amount of lifesteal, as a TR, as a GWF using Sure Strike while unstoppable to heal to full, as a CW keeping himself alive fighting Valindra in VT, what's only capped is only how AOEs imbalance Lifesteal and make it overpowered for instant full heals. My suggestion is simply to bring it more in line with regen.

We are talking about DPS here right? Not tanks? You want to solo addfests with how Lifesteal heals with AOEs? Or have GFs and DCs be useful in that scenario?

I get it though, even myself playing a DPS wants to be nigh unkillable, but it's just wrong.
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Consider this ....
    GF tanking/kiting is not actually required during the FH final boss fight.
    Two or more mid to high geared CW's (or perhaps only one very high GS CW) can kill all the adds.
    Most players never try to kill all the adds, but CW can do it by doing all AoE, especially oppressive force.
    I agree that GF could use some buffs .... however buffing GF is unlikely to make them clear dungeons faster than a dps class.
    Part of the solution is buffing GF, and other part of the solution is nerf.
    Nerfing lifesteal seems like a reasonable place to start nerfing.

I am sure someone will point out that oppressive force has no target limit and that is why it heals too much.
    I agree that oppressive force is overpowered, but not because it heals too much, but because it's does too much damage due to unlimited targets. Even if oppressive force was nerfed to a 5 target limit, CW's with very high life steal can still self-heal very well by going all AoE (chill strike on tab + steal time + sudden storm + shard).

One more thing ....
    In my opinion, soulforged is very overpowered now. Giving an extra life to dps classes is possibly the biggest reason why tanks are less needed. Realistically, I don't expect soulforged to be changed back to it's previous state. Just pointing out that cryptic is giving out huge buffs and new powers and the result is dps classes are now able to complete most of the content, without a traditional tank or healer. If we don't start nerfing somewhere, then the result will be parties with only dps classes, and classes which can buff/debuff to increase dps of dps classes.
  • Options
    esb704esb704 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I gave up on my GF of 3 months and developing a GWF :) enuf is enuf lol