test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Over 100 CTA's and not one shaman drop.

ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
And it's just not me either. It's happened to at least 3 other people in the guild. What exactly is the drop rate on a green companion in the CTA? I'm just curious. Seems like it was pretty bad in the last CTA with the sprite too.

This is around 50% griping about poor drop rates and 50% wondering just WHAT the drop rate on a green companion should be for something like this.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Same experience. I have toons that are less "lucky" than others so tried all of them, total of about 80 runs between them. I now have a very nice collection of awful green dyes and R3 enchants. So far this has been the worst chance of a comp drop I have seen in a CTA, which are already notorious for bad drops.

Adding my voice to throng begging to put these in the shop so after my 50 or so failed attempts I can at least buy one with the medallions.
  • Options
    cetaceta Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Same experience. I have toons that are less "lucky" than others so tried all of them, total of about 80 runs between them. I now have a very nice collection of awful green dyes and R3 enchants. So far this has been the worst chance of a comp drop I have seen in a CTA, which are already notorious for bad drops.

Adding my voice to throng begging to put these in the shop so after my 50 or so failed attempts I can at least buy one with the medallions.

Yeah, i second that. At least put it in there for like 3000 points or something.that way when we do them a hundred of times we dont feel like we are wasting our dang time. We can accually see a count down somewhere. I feel like i am being left out on the fun stuff because I work and have responsibilities. What is a game when you have to pray to get something ? Jesus..... So disapointing in this CTA.
  • Options
    nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Same here. On the bright side, should I ever feel the insane urge to buy lockbox keys I just need to remember the "great" drop rate of this event to gauge the odds.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Even the awful Diablo 3 now builds up chance for a drop as time goes by.
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The event area being so small kinda makes it too dull to do 100x anymore.
    Besides I ended up having to buy the Druid last time.

Ice Wind heroic battles are more fun, I think.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    relativityrelativity Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    To be honest, this CtA tired me mightily. I no longer care for companion after 86th time of doing same thing and receiving same drops. Devs, please, give it a thought: some people have to work weekends. We can't spam CtA even if we wanted to. Plus, what should be entertainment after working day, turns into frustration because RNG doesn't deem you worthy of something nice for your effort.
    There was a time when I wanted to get everything there was to get from every event. And it was doable. Few events like this CtA though and I'll break out of compulsion to invoke daily. And maybe that will help me put an end to my Neverwinter addiction.
    Bids he then the spruces to singer him an anthems!
    thief-glyphs.gif?w=32
    And the Woodsie Lord binders them fleshes to stone!
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    127 runs no companion or ancient curio , totally pathetic , going to avoid CTA in future unless some method of buying a bound version of the companion is added to the CTA store , total waste of time otherwise .
    And for Christ sake developers , can you make the stupid dyes stack more than 20 .
    4Cpeyqv.jpg
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    audentiaaudentia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was going to make a thread, but this one will do.

I have 50-something dyes, so I assume that translates to 50-something runs, and no shaman. Some runs were easy and some were gruesome; inflicting horrible wounds on my poor avatar. I started last week and I didn't have a lot to complain about gameplay-wise. But this was the proverbial BS. I'd like to reinforce what is said above; make it available to buy with those medals so that even the most RNG-cursed player can eventually get (just by playing the game) it.

Please do not use the RNG model to solely determine time-limited events. It is never popular as it enforces a horrible grinding/farming element to the gameplay. Familiarity breeds contempt; I have never felt more contempt for a dragon boss before.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    can you make the stupid dyes stack more than 20 .
    4Cpeyqv.jpg

+1
    There's only 1 set of dyes that do that and there really is no reason for it.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't even bother playing more than a handful of times. It's totally not worth it.
    Drop rate is probably 1% or less - some people are gonna get lucky, most will not.
  • Options
    pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I literally have not played a single CTA (Garrundar). Knew it would end like this.

The companion is bad anyway, they ninja'd the active bonus right before release.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I did 50+ skirmishes in total on 5 characters to get weapon transmutes, none of them has gotten the pet or ancient curio.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I got the companion and the ancient curio on the same run, my third run.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    -To short
    - Unusually small waves
    -To low drop rate
    - No way to challenge yourself, that is to say, it is to scripted. For example in Orc Assault, you could play it safe but usually we plowed into all the adds at the start to get them out of the way in one big pull. This gives you the feeling you have a choice in how the mission goes. It is possible to have a script, but leave some room with how it goes. For example, in Temple Defense you could go safe or hard. This one is on rails. Battle for the Bridge was on rails just as hard, but at least there I feared for some peoples safety, and of course the drops were still good.

I get they can't all be great, but of Storming the Keep, Orc Assault, Temple Defense, and Battle for the Bridge, this one is at the bottom.

Good news though. Every finite set has to have a minimum. You have not broken maths.
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well I actually liked this skirmish,

Admittedly this one tends to bring in a lot of lower level characters and lower geared characters so often I've ended up soloing the thing for them. Which isn't a problem for me because it was a lot of fun. Heck I may go on later tonight and run a few more just for kicks.

I had a lot of fun. I did win a Companion but honestly never needed another healer companion. So I sold it on the AH for about 140k AD used that to buy a cheap green Merchant Artifact for an instant store when I'm out in the field. They are in demand though I can tell, Someone bought it almost the instant I posted it. I also got the Belt of Xvim item, again I have better gear than that and will likely not use it or will put it on a companion.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I gave up on PVE ages ago. Hint: Focus on AD creation and wealth building, learn to make your money work for you, and leave the farming to the masses.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Did it 21 times and then stopped. I would have continued trying if its drop rate of Medallion of Battle weren't noticeably lower that makes it not worth the time.
  • Options
    berserkrage99berserkrage99 Member Posts: 103
    edited June 2014
    Boy this game sure has changed a lot. Sad...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Guys gotta clean the wax out of their ears. Didn't they check the approval rating for Respen's event? I guess they have no clue why the event was so popular....

It's pretty sad too. How in the world would putting a bound companion on the vendor hurt them as they seem adamant in continuing this RNG 0.5% droprate nonsense that only causes people to leave instead of grind a little.
  • Options
    cjh1983cjh1983 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I agree with greater stacking of items (in general) and possible shop option.

Also, maybe in the context of Neverwinter 100 runs of a 10 minute dungeon is a grind, but compared to many MMO's out there - this is nothing. I really don't see why some people throw so much fuss about it.
  • Options
    iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    cjh1983 wrote: »

Also, maybe in the context of Neverwinter 100 runs of a 10 minute dungeon is a grind, but compared to many MMO's out there - this is nothing. I really don't see why some people throw so much fuss about it.

Nobody is complaining about regular drops from regular dungeons here that you might have to spend weeks farming to get, the cta is a time limited event run over a weekend so obviously some people are go complain about lousy drop rates , some people do have to work 8 - 12 hours a day for 3 or even all 4 of the days the event is running you know .

It is especially frustrating when they have shown us they are able to add bound versions of companions to the event shop like they did with the respens event , there is no reason why they are unwilling to do that with the cta ,leaving the cta as they are now will just sow bad feeling towards the developers.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Guys gotta clean the wax out of their ears. Didn't they check the approval rating for Respen's event? I guess they have no clue why the event was so popular....

It's pretty sad too. How in the world would putting a bound companion on the vendor hurt them as they seem adamant in continuing this RNG 0.5% droprate nonsense that only causes people to leave instead of grind a little.

As a software dev, I can't help but wonder if the problem is the same as it is for me: too many people counting beans and not enough growing them.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I want to kick myself. Thinking today was my lucky day (pfft in neverwinter I'm never lucky) I went ahead and ran it again another 50 times across my 2 dps toons, added to my stock of horrid dyes I will never use and that's about it. I'm a glutton for punishment or something. The price of the pet on AH is telling WRT the change made to the drop rate for this event. Most go down to the 60K range at the height of the event. This one? 300K and climbing. For a green pet with a borked active.

If Cryptic was trying to make a fun event to spread good will in the Neverwinter community, I would say this one missed the mark. I feel cheated and I know I'm not alone. As they say, time is money. I give both to this game and expect better.
  • Options
    pieloniouspielonious Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 33
    edited June 2014
    I saw this mentioned earlier in the thread and I wanted to just drop my thoughts, whatever they may be worth, about the timing of CTA events.

I work a nearly-full time job and have other responsibilities and stuff that keep me busy a great deal of the time, so you'd probably label me as a casual player in NW. I also happen to have the kind of job that, when everyone else has free time or vacation time, or some kind of holiday, the workload for my job increases and I work even more hours than normal. What this has meant is that, when events are scheduled, they're usually planned over a time period when one would assume people would have more free time to play, yes? Like weekends? Well, unfortunately, I've missed the last 5 events because I was working and would get home too tired to do much. I barely touch my other games in such a situation, so it's not even just NW's grind (which, in focusing solely on NW, can be an annoyance. Literally, the only times I participate in events are when I have some days off that I'm not required to do other major life things. This doesn't bother me so much, because hey, that's the price I pay for the job I accepted and the game is definitely not centered around me and I'm cool with that. What ends up being not so cool is that, by the time I have some time off to play the event, the event is already over. It's a big bummer! I always find myself thinking, "If only they'd extend it another couple days, I could have a chance to just try it out!" This is what I'm saying - the events are so short that I, and likely many other people in similar situations, can't even have a chance to try the event (we're not talking about winning anything, we're talking about just the simple experience of trying and enjoying the event) because we're bogged down with working and our lives 'n stuff.

Building onto that argument, it's true that the few times I've managed to catch a CTA event, the RNG has always been an enemy of mine, so it's pretty frustrating to spend a lot of time not being able to really win much. And please, let's be honest - when people play a game, they like the feeling of being able to accomplish something, of feeling like they're earning some kind of reward, especially in an environment like an MMO where, no matter what anyone says, there is always that feeling of competing against other players in terms of material wealth. Someone above mentioned some kind of idea where the companion - the sought-after reward in CTA events - can be bought with event currency that is bound to your account/character, instead of BoE like the drop companions, and that seems like a fairly decent balance at helping out players who can't dedicate the time for The Grind to win things who still want to feel like they're not simply wasting their time.

In the end, this is one person's plea for something to change with the current CTA event system. It's frustrating and I really want to like them.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I think there's a conspiracy going on with the auction prices, or the drop rate really was that bad. If I was going to spend on something, I'd save a little and just get another Lillend if I wanted an actual healer or upgrade an acolyte.

What the heck!? Wild Hunt Riders and Cold Iron Warriors, not to mention, Pigs are cheaper.

WUT!?
  • Options
    telnightstelnights Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A group of 4 of us did over 400 combined and not one not one shaman or Curio drop.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    After/During every CTA so far a thread or multiple threads have been made about the drop rate. Suggestions have been given. Curious as to why nothing has been changed.

Devs must just believe WAI (working as intended).
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    pielonious wrote: »
    I saw this mentioned earlier in the thread and I wanted to just drop my thoughts, whatever they may be worth, about the timing of CTA events.

I work a nearly-full time job and have other responsibilities and stuff that keep me busy a great deal of the time, so you'd probably label me as a casual player in NW. I also happen to have the kind of job that, when everyone else has free time or vacation time, or some kind of holiday, the workload for my job increases and I work even more hours than normal. What this has meant is that, when events are scheduled, they're usually planned over a time period when one would assume people would have more free time to play, yes? Like weekends? Well, unfortunately, I've missed the last 5 events because I was working and would get home too tired to do much. I barely touch my other games in such a situation, so it's not even just NW's grind (which, in focusing solely on NW, can be an annoyance. Literally, the only times I participate in events are when I have some days off that I'm not required to do other major life things. This doesn't bother me so much, because hey, that's the price I pay for the job I accepted and the game is definitely not centered around me and I'm cool with that. What ends up being not so cool is that, by the time I have some time off to play the event, the event is already over. It's a big bummer! I always find myself thinking, "If only they'd extend it another couple days, I could have a chance to just try it out!" This is what I'm saying - the events are so short that I, and likely many other people in similar situations, can't even have a chance to try the event (we're not talking about winning anything, we're talking about just the simple experience of trying and enjoying the event) because we're bogged down with working and our lives 'n stuff.

Building onto that argument, it's true that the few times I've managed to catch a CTA event, the RNG has always been an enemy of mine, so it's pretty frustrating to spend a lot of time not being able to really win much. And please, let's be honest - when people play a game, they like the feeling of being able to accomplish something, of feeling like they're earning some kind of reward, especially in an environment like an MMO where, no matter what anyone says, there is always that feeling of competing against other players in terms of material wealth. Someone above mentioned some kind of idea where the companion - the sought-after reward in CTA events - can be bought with event currency that is bound to your account/character, instead of BoE like the drop companions, and that seems like a fairly decent balance at helping out players who can't dedicate the time for The Grind to win things who still want to feel like they're not simply wasting their time.

In the end, this is one person's plea for something to change with the current CTA event system. It's frustrating and I really want to like them.

very well spoken and constructive. we appreciate it greatly. :)
  • Options
    mcdoggehmcdoggeh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I guess some a re luckier than others. I've done 42 runs and have gotten 2 shamans and 2 belts.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Not a single companion this CTA. No way I'm coughing up the ridiculous amounts people are asking for. Had no choice but to buy the druid and spite from the previous CTA but not able to this time. Things have to change.

The game's special events cater to the rich or people who have all the free time in the world. Totally unfair.