test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do you feel about IWD 3 boon PvE entry requirement

eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
edited May 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I keep seeing forum posts about how people are disliking being forced to PvE grind through Sharandar or Dread Ring in order to get the 3rd boon requirement to be able to enter Icewind Dale module.

So, I thought I'd give people a poll where everyone can inform the devs on their feelings about the requirements.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      It's fine. I have no idea what people are QQing about. It takes about a week to get the third boon.
      PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
      Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
    • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      It's fine. I have no idea what people are QQing about. It takes about a week to get the third boon.

Thirteen days actually, unless they get the invocation thing.
      Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
    • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Sharandar's a bit of a pita, but Dread Ring seemed ok.

I don't have a problem with it but it's perhaps hard for me to see the other side as I knew this was coming so put the effort in to making sure all my characters met the requirements.
    • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Yeah idk why people are qqing either. You should really have been working on your boons anyway. And you only need 3 of either. It's not a huge requirement. But yeah as the above person said, It's more annoying to unlock the sharandar one than the dread one. Sharandar was freaking awful.
    • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      I believe that was implemented to keep new players from bad experience of icewind dale. What I mean, some mobs and encounters in there are quite tough. Not to mention that PvP madness that's going on in there right now...I've already seen some monstrous CWs/GWFs with perma prone/interrupt (hail the dire wolf companion) chains that would literally destroy anything on their way.
    • calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      so easy and fast to level in this game I have zero issue with it. Try another class or two (or two of each like me) it's fast enough that this doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's an MMO it supposed to have some type of grind no?
    • doomspell123doomspell123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      I dont understand how someone can be playing the game without having the boons to begin with. Seriously, what were you doing before mod3 started if you dont even have at least the first 3 boons?

Regarding new players, it wouldnt hurt them to get to know the pre-mod3 content before getting to the latest content as they will be equally new and exciting to them anyway.
    • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      I sympathise with new people who do play the game and have to wait.

But; on the other hand it is rewarding players who do play the game and put time and energy into it. I also think some of the people complaining just want the same as someone who puts time into the game gets.

Why not reward someone over another who hasn't played for 3 months.

They are also complaining about not getting the boons because they do not like pve, well the new zone is pve, so Blah!
      Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
      ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
      Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
      SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
    • godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
      edited May 2014
      I don't mind it, but still have to wait another few days before I can enjoy the new zone because the character I've been playing on is relatively fresh lv 60 and I only work on one character for extended periods of time.
    • lolssi83lolssi83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
      edited May 2014
      Personally I had the boons so no problem there. But all these boons just make sure that I won't create alt ever.

But I don't think where people can go should be restricted with gear/boon/level requirements.
      Difficulty itself should be the restricting factor just like in good rpgs. If the area is too hard take few steps back and get stronger or heck get help.
    • edsenxedsenx Member Posts: 10 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Up to the third boon, at least in sharandar, you have to spend a good ammount of time making dailies. I think the requirement is ok, cos otherwise players would get overwhelmed by daylies, and the complain would be that there would be so many daylies to do that players wouldnt have time to make dungeons/pvp/jump around the city.
    • brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
      edited May 2014
      If you can take a poll on the forum about it, you could also have read the requirements for it ahead of time and have been ready for it.
    • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
      edited May 2014
      I like all of the requirements and wish domination had similar or harder requirements.
      PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
      Jugger Conq GF
    • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,824 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      If you are going to make new zones harder then it makes sense for players to have to have reached a certain level before they can enter. icewind is pretty tough in places so it makes sense. im not sure if its the ideal way to do it, but the way they have set the game up, its probably the best they can do.
    • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
      edited May 2014
      For each character. Some of us have three or four characters at least, and that's before they add even more classes...
    • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
      edited May 2014
      I dont understand how someone can be playing the game without having the boons to begin with. Seriously, what were you doing before mod3 started if you dont even have at least the first 3 boons?
      Some of us hate grinding the same content over and over, and want to try other classes. When even that got boring, I left and played other games instead. Not everyone want to dedicate themselves to a single game or a single character.

And as for "the content is hard anyway", that's just BS. Adding ridiculous requirements because the content is too hard is the wrong way to do it. That's saying they admit there is a problem, so they change everything else to fit the problem, rather than fixing the actual problem. If your car is out of gas, you don't go out to push it. You fill up more gas.
    • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      only hard when soloed. the actual content is made easy by the trail of wolves to every heroic encounter

in all honesty though, if they ever make content that requires 5 boons from sharandar.....that will truly be the middle finger >.>
      edited May 2014
      Why is three boons fine, but five is not? What if they required four? It's not the challenge that's the point here. It's having a ridiculous requirement like that in the first place. They should at least let boons be character-wide. That way it would be bearable. But grinding three boons for five characters? Not gonna happen. Ever.
    • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      ladymythos wrote: »
      Why is three boons fine, but five is not? What if they required four? It's not the challenge that's the point here. It's having a ridiculous requirement like that in the first place. They should at least let boons be character-wide. That way it would be bearable. But grinding three boons for five characters? Not gonna happen. Ever.

not just the 5 boon requirement but also needing it from sharandar. i believe that took me 2-3 months and i never want to do it again. 5 boons from dread ring is like a month.

3 boons is nowhere near as bad as a 3 month grind.

but i don't really see the point in the requirement at all. only a few boons are actually important and the rest are just stat boosts.

the actual gear needed for this content can be obtained from either tier 2 dungeons, pvp, gauntlgrymm, dread ring, or sharandar. considering malabog can potentially kill pc's then it can be ignored and most groups will rarely, if at all, beat spider.

they should have just put up a gs requirement of like 10-12k or whatever which isn't that hard to get.
    • qq88ppqq88pp Member Posts: 143 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      You have to be level 60 to access GG
      You have to be level 60 and have 3 boons to access IWD

I am totally OK with it. And given the GS requirement, not that GS means much, but it at least keeps out totally under-geared players that wine if they die alone to a 2-3 player encounter.
    • flupperyfluppery Member Posts: 147 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Its a great restriction. The last thing we need in the new zone is a bunch of gimps.
    • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      It makes perfect sense...IWD is not a place for people who have just hit 60, don't really know their class and are in mostly blue gear.

In fact, I think the requirements to enter should have been even higher...10K GS is kind-of low.
      Hoping for improvements...
    • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      ladymythos wrote: »

Sharandar, to get all 5 boons, requires 990 feywild sparks. You can get 120 sparks per week (unless you take the 6 day invoking cache, which would make it 150). So, it would take ~47-58 days to get all of the sparks without buying any from lockboxes. Now, lets say you buy all of your sparks for Sharandar. You will still need 24 days minimum (and a lot of AD to do this) to get all 5 boons. Since most players will not be able to afford buying every spark they need, it will take a player almost 2 months at most to be able to get into icewind dale through sharandar (if this was a requirement). Dread ring is much more bearable where it takes a max of 31 days if you only do boons, but can technically be done in under and hour if you buy everything (again, most players will progress through it normally). As it stands, it only takes 13 days at most to get into icewind dale, which is honestly not that bad.

Long story short, 5/5 boons is too much of a requirement while 3/5 is fine since the time frame to do so isn't horrible. It can't be lower than 3 simply because anyone can get 2/5 boons for sharandar in a day if you kill mobs for a while for their bounty (or just buy it for dirt cheap).
    • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Doesn't it suck when a poll shows the opposite of what you wanted it to say when you created it?:cool:
      Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
      Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
      Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
      Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
      Darquess - Soulbinder
    • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
      edited May 2014
      I mostly PvE - okay with it

I have no problems with the requirements. It ensures players are at least minimally geared and ready for the harder and more challenging content in module 3.
    • xilinearxilinear Member Posts: 140 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      I am okay with this, problem is really with alts (have 7 chars in total) which makes the whole thing quite grindy. I think there should be somehow dual "OR" requirements.

1) 10kGS + 3 boons
      2) 15k GS (or some other number)*

For people who have alts that are geared enough but didn't have the time to go through all the motions of grinding the boons, Option (2) would be something to opt for. Getting all 3 boons on all characters puts really an "artificial time wall" which in my opinion is unjustified by the level of difficulty of the new zone given the fact that the power of 3 boons could easily be exceeded with proper gear.

My 50 cents.
    • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Doesn't it suck when a poll shows the opposite of what you wanted it to say when you created it?:cool:

Especially considering the biased nature of the poll. This backfired badly on the OP.
    • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      I'm fine with the boon requirement, but I dislike the gear score requirement. The boon requirement is a time sink, but is fair across classes and builds. The gear score requirement is not fair, because of bugs and bad design. Promo companion active bonuses pushed my alts above the 10k mark, but I still think it's wrong.

It's also silly that Castle Never and Malabog's Castle have lower GS requirements than Icewind Dale. An under-geared player can queue for these dungeons and frustrate fellow group members, but can't visit Icewind Dale, bothering nobody.
      Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
    • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      sockmunkey wrote: »
      Especially considering the biased nature of the poll. This backfired badly on the OP.

Not really. I find it informative.

Personally, I found it quite a waste of time for no reason. It forced me to repetitively play the same content I'd already played, over, and over, and over, and over again for roughly 3 total hours of my life over nearly a month.

3 hours wasted and annoyed for ridiculous (no reason).

As I've mentioned in other posts, I used to repeatedly adventure in zones several levels higher than suggested. I think it made me more clearly understand my characters strengths and weaknesses.

I wouldn't mind say an 11k gearscore, or a minimal defense score or something.

It's like telling me I must read the last chapter in the 2nd book of a trilogy 21 times before I can start reading the third book. Oh, and you can only read that last chapter once a day.

Just stupid. IMHO.

...multiply by every alt. Nope, sorry, not gonna happen. You pretty much guaranteed I will most likely only have my main.
    • cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Once again...from my experiences on preview and now with live.

I will stress this again, the 10k and JUST 3 boon requirements is very low. It is only the minimum. Trust me if you go to Ice Wind Pass with a 10ish k or 11ish k GS and only 3 boons or a handful of boons......YOU WILL GET YOU *** HANDED TO YOU. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EVEN SOLO THE DAILIES.

Now with that said, if you play and group with other doing dailies and stuff then you will be okay but y'all will still die. This mod is no steamroll.

They could remove the 3 boon requirement and it would not make a bit of difference...then the complaints would be the encounters, mobs etc are too hard.

Even though there is no dungeon per se...everyone needs to adjust their thinking...it is a dungeon...the entire zones are a dungeon, it is just an open world dungeon and it is very, very unforgiving, unlike any open world area in Neverwinter.