test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shattering Lore For Laughs

imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
edited April 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Has Neverwinter become a comedy game? A parody of Dungeons and Dragons? These "April Fools" items that aren't going away after April Fools is done are shattering the lore, for the sake of a few laughs and a bunch of zen sales.

Edit:
Gelatinous cubes are apparently were mounts in the Underdark due to some crack-addled work done during the 3.5 era, but they never should have been. They were mindless eating machines, sucking every crumb of organic matter out of the conveniently 10'x10' dungeon hallways. If you were in the middle of one, you were most likely dead already.
Green slime should never be companions. It's a slimy substance that drops from above and dissolves things. It is not a jello blob, it doesn't bounce around from place to place. Hell, I'm not even sure how it gets on the ceiling in the first place to drop on you.

If these were temp items, lasting only for, say, the first week of April, I'd say sure, go for it. But these are permanent items. Items that people played a "skirmish" over and over to get, or spent zen on. This was either a horrendous mistake, or proof that the devs really don't care one whit about D&D canon lore. I'm betting on both.

-- @Gruffydd
Post edited by imaginaerum1 on

Comments

• Options
    drowbynightdrowbynight Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2014
    If they can tame a mimic for a companion, anything is possible.
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, there is a lot that is really stretched here. The cubes are funny, but not long term. They also make a stupid sloshing noise that constantly gurgles around.

The green slime and mimic, along with some of the other fantastic companions I can rationalize. The slime could be held by magic and directed by the "owner". It's a stretch and seeing them everywhere is sort of weird, but the cubes are just way over the top. A little farcical goes a long way and this is a lot and it's just a drag.

If nothing else please tone down the sloshy gurgles so I can pretend they aren' there.

The table top skirmish is different and a nice nostalgic throwback. Even though it's sort of an immersion breaker, I liken it to telling a story. Since it's instanced people can choose to join it or not and thus it doesn't intrude on the world at large. The gelatinous cubes are a pandora's box unleashed. You can't put them back because people paid for them and they really change the feel of the game.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cubes have been used in the past as mounts, by Drow I believe. And remember that Wizards of the Coast has to approve of such additions to the game. So if they truly felt it didn't have a place in DnD as a mount, they could have vetoed it.

Also, lighten up.
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    To the op: A valid argument. HOWEVER,.... slimes and cubes were originally created by mad wizards. Who's to say some other wizard didn't create a more benign version? Magic my friend.
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The sledge are to me what the blobs are for you.
    I understand your pain.
    These Items should only be usable in a timeslot surrounding said event, e.g. sledges around x-mas, water bombs around midsummer etc.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    As pointed out everything thus far can be explained.

IMO the only thing that breaks immersion is that all of these people around me are riding and wearing things which should be incredibly unique. But that is to be expected with an MMO as everybody wants their characters to be unique. It is no different here than in any other D&D game really except that when I played Neverwinter Nights there were only a handful of players in any given area or if I play Baldur's Gate there were only NPC's.

These mounts, IMO, more resemble magical trinkets than actual mounts. In my opinion they all seem like Jarlaxle's nightmare figurines and Drizzt's unicorn mount. The summoned mounts are actually illusions of a sort and not physical creatures.

For instance in the novels it is explained that Guenwhyvar is the astral essence of the panther. She is a physical being from another plane. The figurine has a magical link to her essence. However the mounts they ride are magical constructs and are not living breathing entities.

If Guenwhyvar's figurine is broken she would live happily in the astral plane. If the mount's figurines were broken the constructs themselves would be destroyed.

If you apply that concept to Neverwinter...
    We are not riding on actual nightmares, just a magical construction of the likeness of a Nightmare.
    Similarly it could be rationalised we are not riding in an actual Gelatinous Cube but are simply in a substance which is visually similar.
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Wait, seriously, the sled? Because a half-moon elf from the winter lands of the Feywild owning a magical sled is totally ridiculous, clearly. ;)

We're playing a game where we pretend to be creepy-looking devil people throwing around giant balls of ice, stocky dwarves running around stabbing dragons with longswords, halflings with daggers stabbing giants in their ankles until the giants die, half-elves shooting Godlasers and calling upon the power of the gods to heal massive wounds, magical elves with bows using nature magic to kill skeletons with arrows and knives, humans with gigantic swords playing ping-pong with Kobolds...

...And it breaks your immersion that some crazy-*** wizards somewhere came up with a less acidic gelatinous cube, a magical sled, and an enchanted waterskin that shoots harmless balls of water? No, it's not in the official lore, but then again, neither is anything you've ever done in a tabletop session of Forgotten Realms. No, not even LFR, it isn't canon either. Having *that* many tieflings and drow wandering around the surface in the middle of day in a social gathering place doesn't make that much sense in the lore either, and yet there they all are(And whatever is left of Vhaeraun is undoubtedly proud) walking around PE. (Hell, there's plenty of random drow commoner NPCs, nevermind the seven thousand Drow HRs named Drizzt.)

Honestly... It's FR. Given Ed Greenwood, gelatinous cube mounts probably aren't even close to the weirdest thing to happen in the Realms. ;) It'd be more awkward lorewise to explain why an elven cleric of Corellon Larethian would be riding a giant spider as a mount on the surface of Faerun, yet that's been an everyday thing since beta for the people who have HotN packs. (Hell, you'd have a hard time justifying that in the underdark, that's what riding lizards are for!)
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    djtlitedjtlite Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The below bit is from the 3.5 rulebook Arms and Equipment Guide and will hopefully shut people the hell up about cubes breaking the immersion as mounts, also when in doubt, before *****ing about omg thats a monster, how could someone use it as a mount or companion, remember this: A WIZARD DID IT.

Gelatinous Cube
    Gelatinous cubes are not mounts for the faint of
    heart, or for those in a particular hurry. Bizarre “cav-
    alry” in Underdark wars, gelatinous cubes are used to
    herd opposing troops and chew through defensive
    lines, or to protect valuable spell-
    casters after their magic is spent.
    Cube riders require special gear just
    to survive the ride. The “saddle” for a
    cube is a special magic item, an
    amulet
    of ooze riding
    (see the sidebar). The
    amulet activates a force sphere when-
    ever the wearer comes in contact with
    an ooze. Then, with some effort, the
    rider nudges the sphere to the center
    of the cube and rides safely inside. It
    takes 1 minute to fully mount or dis-
    mount a gelatinous cube; once inside,
    a cube rider can’t be dislodged by any
    normal means. Ride checks incur a –5
    circumstance penalty if the rider is
    not fully mounted.
    Gelatinous cubes are air-permeable, so breathing is
    never an issue. However, carrying a rider disorients a
    cube’s ability to find prey by scent—everything
    smells like food when an organic creature occupies
    its center. Denied their sense of smell, occupied
    cubes sense prey solely through vibration.
    Although cubes are nonintelligent (and therefore
    untrainable), they can be directed. “Steering” a gelati-
    nous cube is an odd art. Taking advantage of the
    cube’s impaired senses, a rider creates vibrations
    within its mass by banging on the force sphere. With
    practice, specific vibrations can fool the cube into
    sensing external movement. Thus, the cube contin-
    ually chases phantom “food” in the direction the
    rider indicates.
    A rider must exit his cube at a decent speed (at least
    faster than the cube’s land speed of 15 feet), since the
    cube immediately tries to engulf any food that sud-
    denly appears near it.
    Carrying Capacity:
    Light 198 lb., medium 396 lb.,
    heavy 600 lb.;
    DC Young/Adult:
    —/29;
    Young Price:
    5,000 gp;
    Training Cost:

Siderbar mentioned above: New Magic Item:
    Amulet of Ooze Riding
    Any time the wearer of this
    amulet comes into contact
    with an ooze, a sphere of
    force springs up around the
    wearer. The sphere prevents
    any contact with an ooze and
    protects the wearer from
    direct attacks by oozes.
    Caster Level:
    7th; Prerequi-
    sites: Craft Wondrous Item,
    Otiluke’s resilient sphere; Market
    Price:
    28,000 gp.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    "Lore breaking" posts always amuse me. I'm pretty sure it's a lot easier to come up with justifications for riding gelatinous cubes and taming slimes than it is to explain why Valindra has her ritual disrupted (srsly, val: start it somewhere else), and is then frequently killed, several thousand times a day. Often by the same people over and over again.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No need to be so obsessive about it. As someone said above, lighten up. Don't want it? Don't get it, you're not forced to own one. No need to ruin it for the rest of us who do appreciate it though.
  • Options
    drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    And on the 6th day our lord Gygax created the Gelatinous cube and said “thou shall not ride the cube or thy bones will melt from thee.” Alas his command was not heeded, and the blasphemous Cryptic rode the cube with wild abandon, and all the powers of hell were unleashed.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    morsitans wrote: »
    "Lore breaking" posts always amuse me. I'm pretty sure it's a lot easier to come up with justifications for riding gelatinous cubes and taming slimes than it is to explain why Valindra has her ritual disrupted (srsly, val: start it somewhere else), and is then frequently killed, several thousand times a day. Often by the same people over and over again.

Aye. Getting worked up about "lore" or "immersion" in an MMO always seems like a futile gesture.

Of course, in the case of D&D, our group never really got attached to lore in the first place. We played published modules in between our own adventures, but I don't think we ever defined which D&D world we were in (well, except when we tried that one Bloodright? campaign). Maybe it was easier to ignore the campaign settings back in 1st & 2nd ed. - I don't recall the modules being very strictly defined. Meh, whatever.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    djtlite wrote: »
    The below bit is from the 3.5 rulebook Arms and Equipment Guide and will hopefully shut people the hell up about cubes breaking the immersion as mounts, also when in doubt, before *****ing about omg thats a monster, how could someone use it as a mount or companion, remember this: A WIZARD DID IT.

Gelatinous Cube
    Gelatinous cubes are not mounts for the faint of
    heart, or for those in a particular hurry. Bizarre “cav-
    alry” in Underdark wars, gelatinous cubes are used to
    herd opposing troops and chew through defensive
    lines, or to protect valuable spell-
    casters after their magic is spent.
    Cube riders require special gear just
    to survive the ride. The “saddle” for a
    cube is a special magic item, an
    amulet
    of ooze riding
    (see the sidebar). The
    amulet activates a force sphere when-
    ever the wearer comes in contact with
    an ooze. Then, with some effort, the
    rider nudges the sphere to the center
    of the cube and rides safely inside. It
    takes 1 minute to fully mount or dis-
    mount a gelatinous cube; once inside,
    a cube rider can’t be dislodged by any
    normal means. Ride checks incur a –5
    circumstance penalty if the rider is
    not fully mounted.
    Gelatinous cubes are air-permeable, so breathing is
    never an issue. However, carrying a rider disorients a
    cube’s ability to find prey by scent—everything
    smells like food when an organic creature occupies
    its center. Denied their sense of smell, occupied
    cubes sense prey solely through vibration.
    Although cubes are nonintelligent (and therefore
    untrainable), they can be directed. “Steering” a gelati-
    nous cube is an odd art. Taking advantage of the
    cube’s impaired senses, a rider creates vibrations
    within its mass by banging on the force sphere. With
    practice, specific vibrations can fool the cube into
    sensing external movement. Thus, the cube contin-
    ually chases phantom “food” in the direction the
    rider indicates.
    A rider must exit his cube at a decent speed (at least
    faster than the cube’s land speed of 15 feet), since the
    cube immediately tries to engulf any food that sud-
    denly appears near it.
    Carrying Capacity:
    Light 198 lb., medium 396 lb.,
    heavy 600 lb.;
    DC Young/Adult:
    —/29;
    Young Price:
    5,000 gp;
    Training Cost:

Siderbar mentioned above: New Magic Item:
    Amulet of Ooze Riding
    Any time the wearer of this
    amulet comes into contact
    with an ooze, a sphere of
    force springs up around the
    wearer. The sphere prevents
    any contact with an ooze and
    protects the wearer from
    direct attacks by oozes.
    Caster Level:
    7th; Prerequi-
    sites: Craft Wondrous Item,
    Otiluke’s resilient sphere; Market
    Price:
    28,000 gp.

Game. Set. Match. Well played sir.

/thread
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Aye. Getting worked up about "lore" or "immersion" in an MMO always seems like a futile gesture.

Of course, in the case of D&D, our group never really got attached to lore in the first place. We played published modules in between our own adventures, but I don't think we ever defined which D&D world we were in (well, except when we tried that one Bloodright? campaign). Maybe it was easier to ignore the campaign settings back in 1st & 2nd ed. - I don't recall the modules being very strictly defined. Meh, whatever.

Indeed. Us Lvl 60 DMs craft our own worlds and lore. I always found that way more fun than playing bought modules. Ravenloft was an exception however. In any case 'lore' is just history and that's written by the winners, so treat everything you hear with caution :)
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    "It's magic" is not sufficient explanation for me. Given the amount of source material out there, adding things that aren't in the sourcebooks and saying "it's magic" doesn't sit well with me.
    That said, I stand corrected. Some crack-monkey working for the company back during the 3.5 days came up with gelatinous cube mounts. A terrible, terrible idea that apparently was at least confined to the Underdark. Now they're everywhere in the middle of the city, along with an assortment of other gigantic critters that would be of extreme concern to any rational guardsman or city administrator.
    Honestly, a lot of these things (repetetive grinds, etc) have somewhat bugged me, but I was able to shrug it off with "well, it's an MMO, you end up with that kind of thing". But the Cube and the Slime as permanent additions to the game environment was just too much. Even if lore-approved, it turns the game silly.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    drscone wrote: »
    Indeed. Us Lvl 60 DMs craft our own worlds and lore. I always found that way more fun than playing bought modules. Ravenloft was an exception however. In any case 'lore' is just history and that's written by the winners, so treat everything you hear with caution :)

I usually used my own worlds and lore too. But we're not in my own worlds and lore, unless you happen to be playing one of my Foundries. We're in the Forgotten Realms, an established world with an established and very detailed structure. If they're going to use a specific setting, they should stick to it.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Here's the "issue" I think:

As far as what is available in the game: it's vetted by Wizards of the Coast (Good friend of mine works there and they are literally one mile up the road from where I am sitting at work right now - Yes: I do know some of those guys and gals). WotC knows what is and is not in the rules; they made them up.

Though there is "such a thing" as GC Mounts, but only under certain and specific circumstances, the issue is how do you enforce those certain and specific circumstances in an MMO? Why does THAT player get to have a GC mount but I don't? Why does THAT player get to have a Unicorn but I don't?

This is the "problem" with the way things are: if you want to go all canon regarding D&D Rules and what is "plausible" or "immersive" or not, then you need to find a way to restrict each and every player to the specific circumstances and abilities that allow them to have certain things or do certain things.

However, because this is a game everything needs to be equally "balanced", therefore those restrictive set of circumstances and reason that [name your race and class] would have to be galavanting around in a GC cannot be embraced. So *everyone* gets to have a GC, or Unicorn, or Tiger, or Heavy Howler, or Beetle, or... I could go on, but digress.

So all you immersionists and lore-canon-police really need to lighten-up just a touch.

It's a *game* designed for *fun* and to be *fun* requires *equality* across the board, even if it breaks a few 'soft-rules'.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I find if far more immersion/lore shattering to see Drizzt #22479324 running around than I do seeing someone with a magically bound mount.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm not crazy about the cube mounts, but at least they also exist as mobs that we can fight - unlike a large number of iconic D&D monsters that exist in the game only as mounts or companions. Owlbears are my biggest annoyance in this regard, though rust monsters have been a favorite of mine since the early 80s. As far as immersion, I can't help but agree that an MMO is the least immersive type of RPG possible, to the point where it really shouldn't even be an issue. We can all have the same artifacts (which should be unique) all be the ones to end the menace of (Karzov, Rhazzad, entire clan of Blackdaggers, Vansi Bloodscar, Rohini, ad nauseum) all of which is vastly unlikely. Just enjoy the combat.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Exactly pitshade.

It's an MMO and that does throw out a lot of the rules then and there. Let's pretend this was a single player game and you could buy a Cube mount. The OP would gawk but look away because it's not for them but they'll continue on. The fact of the matter is it is customization for everybody's character.

You may be a good aligned character all clad in white with a halo to top it off. You obviously won't be riding a howler.
    However if somebody makes a character they feel is a darker, more sinister character they very well may want to ride a howler and that is in no way immersion breaking.

However as this is an MMO and you are surounded by other players with "unique" characters that is where the immersion breaking is really coming from. Think of it in terms of Elminster. Elminster does wacky stuff that is absolutely nowhere in the rule books. The imagination is the limit. That's fine. Hell the end all and be all says it's fine because it is his sandbox.

The problem is that there are hundreds of Elminster's running through town at any given time.
    That makes it look like a circus more than a D&D game due to the frequency of the unique and rare appearances. It gets to a point that being normal is abnormal and that is what causes the immersion breaks. However that is just something which will exist in an MMO.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Suspension of disbelief is critical to one's enjoyment of an MMO.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Member Posts: 71
    edited April 2014
    "It's magic" is not sufficient explanation for me. Given the amount of source material out there, adding things that aren't in the sourcebooks and saying "it's magic" doesn't sit well with me.
    That said, I stand corrected. Some crack-monkey working for the company back during the 3.5 days came up with gelatinous cube mounts. A terrible, terrible idea that apparently was at least confined to the Underdark. Now they're everywhere in the middle of the city, along with an assortment of other gigantic critters that would be of extreme concern to any rational guardsman or city administrator.
    Honestly, a lot of these things (repetetive grinds, etc) have somewhat bugged me, but I was able to shrug it off with "well, it's an MMO, you end up with that kind of thing". But the Cube and the Slime as permanent additions to the game environment was just too much. Even if lore-approved, it turns the game silly.

But "It's magic" IS the explanation of a huge chunk of stuff in the actual lore

Half Owl Half bears?? A wizard did it.
    Living treasure chests that eat you? A wizard did it.
    Crystal Parrots that serve as telepathic burgalar alarms? A wizard did it.

as for the comment about "silliness" not belonging in D&D I just have three words
    Giant
    Space
    Hamster :D
  • Options
    djtlitedjtlite Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    enixonbb wrote: »

as for the comment about "silliness" not belonging in D&D I just have three words
    Giant
    Space

^^^

the naysayers are just grumpy and dont want people having fun. if you dont wanna play a fantasy game that is a bit whimsical, go play dark souls. imma enjoy sloshing around inside my jelly cube.
  • Options
    ratjamratjam Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Even if lore-approved, it turns the game silly.

The fact that they are lore-approved makes your opening thread a pos.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    pitshade wrote: »
    I'm not crazy about the cube mounts, but at least they also exist as mobs that we can fight...

Except in the Foundry, where we *STILL* don't have access to it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    enixonbb wrote: »

Giant
    Space

A lot of those "a wizard did it" explanations were added after the fact. Some of them make sense, some don't, but there had better damned well be a STORY behind it, rather than just "a wizard did it". Technically, yes, each and every one of these weird creations can be explained by a lunatic with access to the Wish spell. It's a cop-out explanation, though.

Re: Giant Space Hamsters...
    Spelljammer. I really, really learned to hate Spelljammer. Most of the worst crack-addled decisions to come out of pre-3rd edition AD&D were from that setting. Mind you, I did get some chuckles from the descriptions of the hamsters, especially the increasingly-desperate explanations the gnomes gave as to "why", but it really didn't fit in. Then again, neither did a lot of the critters from the various odd-setting expansions to the Monstrous Compendium.
  • Options
    alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It seems like "A Wizard did it" might just be the perfect forum signature.

Additionally, nobody ever told me there were fire-breathing phase doppelganger giant space hamsters.
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Exactly pitshade.

It's an MMO and that does throw out a lot of the rules then and there. Let's pretend this was a single player game and you could buy a Cube mount. The OP would gawk but look away because it's not for them but they'll continue on. The fact of the matter is it is customization for everybody's character.

You may be a good aligned character all clad in white with a halo to top it off. You obviously won't be riding a howler.
    However if somebody makes a character they feel is a darker, more sinister character they very well may want to ride a howler and that is in no way immersion breaking.

However as this is an MMO and you are surounded by other players with "unique" characters that is where the immersion breaking is really coming from. Think of it in terms of Elminster. Elminster does wacky stuff that is absolutely nowhere in the rule books. The imagination is the limit. That's fine. Hell the end all and be all says it's fine because it is his sandbox.

The problem is that there are hundreds of Elminster's running through town at any given time.
    That makes it look like a circus more than a D&D game due to the frequency of the unique and rare appearances. It gets to a point that being normal is abnormal and that is what causes the immersion breaks. However that is just something which will exist in an MMO.
    Your last paragraph sort of nails the dilemma. The answer is for the developers to be careful about what they add. I do think MMOs ask a lot out of player with regards to immersion and suspension of disbelief. I can think of some other mmos that have some pretty fantastical pieces to them, but are still careful what they put in players' hands. That way there is a consistency to the world around each player and like you said, it prevents the circus scenario.

The cubes aren't a deal breaker for me, but they are really loud and PE has turned into a sloshy sounding place. For the moement they sort of stand out like a sore thumb. I don't think they should have added them, but it's in now and it can't be removed.

Out of this I hope they tone down the volume of the mount and I hope they consider future additions and how it will impact the circus effect, especially in PE.
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Suspension of disbelief is critical to one's enjoyment of an MMO.
    This is very true. Why not add adverts from Starbucks, McDonalds, and Logitech. We could say wizards used dimensional portals and brought these businesses into the game world. Why? Because it would be way over the top and over the line. It would ruin the feel of the gameworld. It's important to consider how these additions affect the feel of the game.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    torskaldr wrote: »
    This is very true. Why not add adverts from Starbucks, McDonalds, and Logitech. We could say wizards used dimensional portals and brought these businesses into the game world. Why? Because it would be way over the top and over the line. It would ruin the feel of the gameworld. It's important to consider how these additions affect the feel of the game.

there is a line and i believe that's too much of an extreme.

i am 100% positive that changes that would cross the official D&D immersion line would not happen... meaning if WotC doesn't approve, it won't happen in neverwinter.
  • Options
    myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am always amazed at the mind-set of gamers who, when confronted by a magical universe, demand that it follow their own set of "sensible" laws.