test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Any Chance for CW PVP Buffs?

degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in PvE Discussion
Since the introduction of Tenacity, I've noticed that playing my BIS CW is downright awful. I'm serious considering giving up on the class entirely in PVP and focusing primarily on my HR and GWF for these reasons. The two benefits CWs had in PVP were...

1) Burst damage
2) Control

Tenacity has really nerfed both of those. We have no CC resistance and three dodges, which sounds like a lot, but when classes have abilities to instantly close gaps, it loses it's benefit fast.

I'd love to see some implementations like Stoneskin, Dimension Door or Etherealness put into play.

Thoughts?
PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
Post edited by degraafination on

Comments

• Options
    irked01irked01 Banned Users Posts: 91
    edited April 2014
    I don't mean to sound mean or whatever but CW's DO NOT NEED ANY BUFFS period. If anything they need to be toned down. Now I have a CW she is not even in PvP gear she is in T2 HV set and I have little to any problems vs other classes. I struggle against GOOD GF's and GWF's (but who doesn't) TR's easy to kill as long as I don't let them get the drop on me. DC's can be a pain but can still beat them if I get a little lucky with crits. HR's again I usually win as long as I don't let them fox cunning me (which a nice timed dodge works wonders)

Tenacity all it did was make us actually have to work harder then before, we are not underpowered and perhaps this class is not for you if you are having such a hard time with it.
  • Options
    spongebob56spongebob56 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think the work they are doing toning down some of the other classes in regards to PvP will put the CW on even footing. No need for premature buffs until these changes roll out in Module 3. I think the CW is in the spot they want the other classes to be in at the end.
  • Options
    drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    irked01 wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound mean or whatever but CW's DO NOT NEED ANY BUFFS period. If anything they need to be toned down. Now I have a CW she is not even in PvP gear she is in T2 HV set and I have little to any problems vs other classes. I struggle against GOOD GF's and GWF's (but who doesn't) TR's easy to kill as long as I don't let them get the drop on me. DC's can be a pain but can still beat them if I get a little lucky with crits. HR's again I usually win as long as I don't let them fox cunning me (which a nice timed dodge works wonders)

Tenacity all it did was make us actually have to work harder then before, we are not underpowered and perhaps this class is not for you if you are having such a hard time with it.

HV is as good a choice as any of the PvP sets really, especially since the new batch really require you to swap out your jewellery too in order get a balanced set up. I'd be interested to know how you get on vs a GWF or TR that knows how to play, with the same gearscore as you. I've certainly found it a lot harder and CC staples now range from less useful (EF) to useless (Repel).

OP seems to have at least some idea how to play : https://www.google.co.uk/#q=neverwinter+PvP+trace
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
  • Options
    koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    asking for more dps for CWs is beyond dumb tbh
    for control? yeah sure, but the dps have to be toned down first.

sorry man, you can't just disregard pve even if you dont like it.
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The main problem is the durations of CW's cc get dramatically nerfed, while the duration of GWF's Unstoppable doesn't at all. No one seems to have realized that.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The main problem is the durations of CW's cc get dramatically nerfed, while the duration of GWF's Unstoppable doesn't at all. No one seems to have realized that.

but the healing from unstoppable is halved, I bet you didnt realized that.
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    but the healing from unstoppable is halved, I bet you didnt realized that.
    What makes it OP is the cc immunity so its duration is the key.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    CWs in PVP as a rule are just awful. Entangle lasts for maybe 1/2 sec, everyone else is running around with Halfling with a great deal of CC resistance to start with, combine that with huge Tenacity and CWs can't really *control* anything in PVP.

And all of the suggestions that have been given here for CWs to counter TRs and GWFs are, frankly, lame. To counter TRs, CWs are supposed to spam Steal Time and Icy Terrain? LOL okay, so if the TR doesn't manage to dodge out of those, the first thing they do is pop ITC and they are immune again, only this time merely visible. They whittle you down with bile daggers from range and then land an undodgeable Shocking Execution. The only way a CW can even begin to attempt to counter this is to start from a completely PVP-focused CW setup, meaning Halfling and INT/CON rolls and foregoing AOE damage feats in favor of single target/personal survivability feats. No, sorry, that would totally destroy my character for PVE effectiveness so I won't do that.

PVE-oriented CWs don't stand a chance in PVP. And that's fine, if we were talking about the pre-Tenacity era. But the whole idea behind Tenacity was to try to level the playing field a bit and give all characters more of a chance at having an enjoyable PVP experience. Now, CWs are just worthless in PVP. So yeah, I'd be in favor of a CW buff *just to PVP alone*, maybe make it come in the form of CW-only Tenacity gear that won't be used in PVE.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Prepare yourselves, cw is actually going to be "adjusted" soon after m3. For better or worse, we will just have to see. One thing you can pretty much bet on though, a buff for pvp will be a nerf for pve. Because the modes are not separate (like eq2) they have to balance for both. In pvp more single target dps and control is needed, but that must come at a loss of aoe power/control or damage across the board. You have to have checks and balances.

Careful what you wish for, you just may get it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    CWs in PVP as a rule are just awful. Entangle lasts for maybe 1/2 sec, everyone else is running around with Halfling with a great deal of CC resistance to start with, combine that with huge Tenacity and CWs can't really *control* anything in PVP.

And all of the suggestions that have been given here for CWs to counter TRs and GWFs are, frankly, lame. To counter TRs, CWs are supposed to spam Steal Time and Icy Terrain? LOL okay, so if the TR doesn't manage to dodge out of those, the first thing they do is pop ITC and they are immune again, only this time merely visible. They whittle you down with bile daggers from range and then land an undodgeable Shocking Execution. The only way a CW can even begin to attempt to counter this is to start from a completely PVP-focused CW setup, meaning Halfling and INT/CON rolls and foregoing AOE damage feats in favor of single target/personal survivability feats. No, sorry, that would totally destroy my character for PVE effectiveness so I won't do that.

PVE-oriented CWs don't stand a chance in PVP. And that's fine, if we were talking about the pre-Tenacity era. But the whole idea behind Tenacity was to try to level the playing field a bit and give all characters more of a chance at having an enjoyable PVP experience. Now, CWs are just worthless in PVP. So yeah, I'd be in favor of a CW buff *just to PVP alone*, maybe make it come in the form of CW-only Tenacity gear that won't be used in PVE.

Points, here, gets it. My best shot for a CW in PVP is against a DC or another CW. All other classes, if played correctly, can really wreck us. I have no issue against new players, PVE characters or all-around poor PVPers. The issue is when a good CW is put up against a good HR, GF, TR or GWF.

As for the L2P comments, I've been playing a CW as my main since Beta. For the most part, I haven't had any major issues until the recent PVP changes.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would like some clarity as to whether or not repel is supposed to do absolutely nothing 80% of the time or not, and whether or not armor penetration actually works with our skills now. I think there are some serious bugs that need to be addressed before we know if a buff is even necessary.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, perhaps fix ArPen working on *all* of the CW powers?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    benskix2 wrote: »
    I would like some clarity as to whether or not repel is supposed to do absolutely nothing 80% of the time or not, and whether or not armor penetration actually works with our skills now. I think there are some serious bugs that need to be addressed before we know if a buff is even necessary.

Yep, Repel was great when it actually repelled players. That gave me a chance against some good GWFs. Not so much now.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    spongebob56spongebob56 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    In pvp more single target dps and control is needed, but that must come at a loss of aoe power/control or damage across the board. You have to have checks and balances.

Careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

I think this is the bad road TRs went down. Even now there are people madly pushing to keep perma builds viable and any mention of improving their PvE is quickly dismissed.
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I'll repeat what I said in another topic, about what I think should happen:

CW is a Controller, not a Striker. When Warlock (a Striker) come out, people that want a magic Striker can reroll for it. Then the CW DPS goes to something like DC, its control becomes 3x better than it is on PvP currently and most DPS spells are changed to match with a Control Wizard.

Having more than 2 CWs in a party will be bad, because then you'll not have enough DPS and too much control left. (Balance! Yay!)

I'm a 15,1k CW, it's my main and I would totally not care if I had to reroll my class completelly to achiev the real purpose of the lore of the class. I want to be a Controller, a puppet master and control my foes as I want to, not to kill them. Killing is for Warlocks and Sorcerers.

If they bring Warlock and Wizard continue being a Striker, having 2 caster Strikers, it will be such a ******* waste.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Damage is a form of control. A dead mob is a controlled mob.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    should remove the CC of CW then
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    But they are *both* forms of control.

I agree that CWs should not be totally awesome at both simultaneously. (Right now CWs really aren't all that great at positional control, to be honest.) But being a CW isn't just about moving enemies around though. That is the point.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If the target cap was adjusted, then i'd fully agree with the suggested changes. But as it stands with target caps ranging from 5-15 up to infinite, i say no.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Why? Target caps have minimal bearing on PVP play.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I usually make an effort to avoid giving offense, but I'm going to be brutally honest this time and just come out with it: the ignorance in this thread is physically painful.

Anyone who claims that CWs don't need help in PvP spends their time steamrolling undergeared players and rarely takes on anyone close to their actual "bracket." With the exception of DC, CW is the least threatening class on the field (to anyone but a DC or another CW). Even were CWs not incredibly easy to shut down, their nominal CC advantage is hard-countered by Unstoppable, Block, Villain's Menace, ITC, random 100% resists.... As others have noted, the burst potential that used to offset this weakness somewhat is gone, and our only reliable zoning tool against melee focus, Repel, is now mostly ineffectual.

So yes, please help the CW in PvP. Rebalance PvE all you want as long as dungeons don't become unacceptably tedious as a result, but do something to prevent CWs from falling off so badly in the late game in PvP.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Why? Target caps have minimal bearing on PVP play.

I think that was his point...

When the CW balance pass goes through, reducing the target cap will be something that could reduce issues in PvE while paving the way for buffs on the PvP side....
  • Options
    iliveforpvpiliveforpvp Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    vorphied wrote: »
    I usually make an effort to avoid giving offense, but I'm going to be brutally honest this time and just come out with it: the ignorance in this thread is physically painful.

Anyone who claims that CWs don't need help in PvP spends their time steamrolling undergeared players and rarely takes on anyone close to their actual "bracket." With the exception of DC, CW is the least threatening class on the field (to anyone but a DC or another CW). Even were CWs not incredibly easy to shut down, their nominal CC advantage is hard-countered by Unstoppable, Block, Villain's Menace, ITC, random 100% resists.... As others have noted, the burst potential that used to offset this weakness somewhat is gone, and our only reliable zoning tool against melee focus, Repel, is now mostly ineffectual.

So yes, please help the CW in PvP. Rebalance PvE all you want as long as dungeons don't become unacceptably tedious as a result, but do something to prevent CWs from falling off so badly in the late game in PvP.

Agreed! Let's figure out a way to nerf then in PVE and buff PVP at the same time. Target caps?
    The AoE hits everyone but the main target for less damage? Come on guys, CW needs a PVP buff and a PVE nerf, we all know it, let's work together rather than fight about it. There is a way to make everyone happy :)
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Agreed! Let's figure out a way to nerf then in PVE and buff PVP at the same time. Target caps?
    The AoE hits everyone but the main target for less damage? Come on guys, CW needs a PVP buff and a PVE nerf, we all know it, let's work together rather than fight about it. There is a way to make everyone happy :)

Yeah, I don't care if one of my mains gets a PvE damage nerf; my only concern is that they could nerf CWs in a way that makes players compensate by increasing their demand for the class, as has happened with every significant CW nerf to date. Target caps lowered? LF1M CW! AP generation nerfed? LF2M CW! We'd all be swimming in tears of irony.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I dont know what your build is, as in how much you have in Power Crit Arp....

But for me, since I only use one spell that Arp currently works with, I dumped all my Arp and put it into power, and I still hit like a truck--just not a super big truck:). I long stopped focusing on CC as soon as the HR came out really...and sometimes don't even slot Choke, if I am running in the right comp and with a partner. In this case I just slot Shard as my main CC>..which yes has its problems too.

On the whole, I find the game to me, to be the same as it was before...except the increase in gap closers for the tanks....that def makes the lack of reliable landing CC a real pain, and I try to play so that I don't even have to be in a position to be against these guys by myself..which in premades, I never was before patch either unless I had to body a node really quick...

I just did an in house last night where an Enemy GWF with Emblem, was assigned to shadow me, and that he did for over AN HOURr, it sucked hard--but every time we killed him and I was left to freecast, oh boy!!....we won in the end, but it was painful. You don't take out one player from a match to put strictly on CW if CW are weak.
  • Options
    kolevrakolevra Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    CWs are about to become a lot more useful in open-world PvP in Mod 3. There will be a lot more opportunity to utilize things like AoE, range, line of sight, environment, etc. All strengths for a CW. Playing as a support class can be difficult in a 5v5 Domination match but I think you will see that it will become a lot more effective and fun in an open-world zone. In the same respect, classes that CWs typically have a great deal of difficulty with, like Perma-TRs, will be a lot less effective without a tower to troll.

I've always said that the biggest problem with balancing PvP is that we've never had anything but 5v5 domination. This is about to change and I think the result will be a lot more class balance.
    --- Ranked matches need to be solo-queue only
    Enforce rainbow parties in PvP ---- 10v10 PvP ----
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, I think the best option would be to make all CW aoe abilities to act like the GWF at-wills; every target hit after the initial will decrease the damage to that target with a cap on how much it can decrease and increase the target cap with a high target cap or no target cap. Then, increase their control abilities by making chill stacks last longer and freeze for longer, sing will pull in faster, etc. to make less CW needed to control everything. After that, they can increase the initial damage so in PvP they get more burst.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    kolevra wrote: »
    CWs are about to become a lot more useful in open-world PvP in Mod 3. There will be a lot more opportunity to utilize things like AoE, range, line of sight, environment, etc. All strengths for a CW. Playing as a support class can be difficult in a 5v5 Domination match but I think you will see that it will become a lot more effective and fun in an open-world zone. In the same respect, classes that CWs typically have a great deal of difficulty with, like Perma-TRs, will be a lot less effective without a tower to troll.

I've always said that the biggest problem with balancing PvP is that we've never had anything but 5v5 domination. This is about to change and I think the result will be a lot more class balance.

We also have GG, 20vs20, which will give us some good insight on what it will look like for CWs. That, combined with multiple companion bonuses giving players over 100% CC resist will be a nightmare for nearly all CWs.

On my HR and GWF, targeting a CW will be the first thing I look for in the new OW PVP.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    People here seem to think that there is only one type of control, positional control. That is incorrect. Once again: damage is a *form* of control. A dead mob is a controlled mob. There is nothing inconsistent with the title of a *Control* Wizard and that wizard dealing lots of damage.

In most of the CW's spells, there is a tradeoff between control via position and control via damage.

Arcane Singularity is great at control via position, but lousy at control via damage.
    Oppressive Force is great at control via damage, but not that great at control via position (it tends to scatter the mobs). Same with Shard.
    Steal Time - great with control with position (makes everyone stationary) but lousy with control via damage (doesn't do much damage at all). Same with Entangling Force, except it only controls one mob at a time, or if in Spell Mastery, only the mobs nearby, and does almost no damage.
    Conduit of Ice - great with control via damage, *fantastic* if the CW is Thaum due to debuffing, but not that great at control via position (it doesn't position the mobs at all), although it does add chill stacks.
    Icy Rays - great with control via damage, especially if feated and in Spell Mastery, but lousy at control via position because it only affects a very small number of mobs - and in this case, the larger the number of mobs affected (greater control via position), the damage goes down (lesser control via damage).

So you see the yin-yang aspect of the CW's arsenal of abilities.

So when people say "nerf CW damage but boost CW control (by position only)", what they are really saying is to get rid of about half of the CW's entire list of encounters and dailies. I mean, there is no other point to Shard other than to blow up a bunch of mobs. It DOESN'T yield ANY control via position at all. You might as well just get rid of Shard entirely at that point.

Now I do think that, just like with the melee classes that there is a tradeoff between having high DPS/low defense and high defense/low DPS, that the same ought to apply to a CW as well when it comes to the two aspects of control. It appears that that was supposed to be the original intent of the three CW feat trees. Oppressor is supposed to be the one that is high control via position (focusing on chill stacks and freezing mobs in place) and low control via damage; Renegade is supposed to be the one that is high control via damage (focusing on crits so much) and low control via position. And Thaum was supposed to be this middle ground that did damage, just not directly via crits but instead via debuffing and DoT effects.

Now as we know, the "middle ground" Thaum feat tree turns out to be the best one in terms of dealing AOE damage, because Thaums still retained a substantial ability to control via position but the debuffing yielded much better results due to everyone's stat inflation. So Thaum CW's don't have to make the tradeoff between the different forms of control. They are able, more or less, to have the best of both worlds.

So if the Thaum feat tree is reworked so as to make the debuffing and DoT effects weaker, in order to create more of a forced choice between control via damage and control via position, then that would be fine.

But it would be absolutely wrong to just insist that CWs should not be able to deal high amounts of damage. CW's ought to be able to retain the ability to deal huge amounts of single-target damage if they so choose. But CW's who choose to spec so that this is possible ought to give up, substantially, the ability to control via positioning large numbers of mobs.