test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Professions of Neverwinter

viirukkinviirukkin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
We've all been there; leveling our professions until we arrive to the area were you have to buy to upgrade quality... This one small thing really makes me mad; I hate it when I need to spend so much of my hard earned AD to get my end game weapons (Fallen Dragon). I have one request to the Devs and Suits at Nevewinter to make it so that there are no in game currency pay-walls. This will make crafting less of burden and will help many people greatly, and so I finish with one request; please make it so that you can upgrade the quality of you workers and their tools (Grind Stone) from common to uncommon.
Post edited by viirukkin on

Comments

• Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This will never happen. Why? Because high level crafting tools forms a cornerstone of the zen purchase market alongside fashion, keys, AD/Zen exchange and mounts/companions.

My personal suggestion? Find a friend or guild willing to lend out high level tools. I often lend my tools out to friends.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The lock boxes are rotating through the different professions. Right now as I post this you can buy alchemy tools (green) for 5k AD and green alchemists for 1k. If you don't wan to upgrade yourself for the 16k a purple grandmaster alchemist is about 42k. Before this lockbox the same opportunity existed for artificing and leadership. I got the people but wish I'd gotten more of the tools.

It's safe to assume other professions will come along as well in future lockboxes.

I haven't even bought or used one key, but I have plenty of decent crafting people and tools thanks to the people who do. And I think that 1-5k astrals is a pretty easy price for a casual gamer to pay, especially given how long boxes stay around.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    You realize how easy it is for someone to make multiple accounts and just abuse this?
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Honestly I'm not really sure how useful these really are.

Originally I picked Alchemy, but it takes forever to level this one up due to the fact it doesnt' gain experience normally. So you have to get lucky to level this one.

The only one I found any real benefit in was the leadership one, and that's because it generates astral diamonds. And the tailoring does net the pants and shirt, but compared to the items you can find in dungeons and set bonuses, you just don't get much out of them. Granted there are a couple of epic items you can make but those are extremely rare to be able to do.

There's just such limited benefits from any kind of trade, that I don't know whether its even useful enough to bother.
  • Options
    vindlethvindleth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If they made them a little more like Star Trek Online where you get a small amount of AD with every completed task then they would be worth wile. As it is they present just something to do while waiting.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    viirukkin wrote: »
    We've all been there; leveling our professions until we arrive to the area were you have to buy to upgrade quality... This one small thing really makes me mad; I hate it when I need to spend so much of my hard earned AD to get my end game weapons (Fallen Dragon). I have one request to the Devs and Suits at Nevewinter to make it so that there are no in game currency pay-walls. This will make crafting less of burden and will help many people greatly, and so I finish with one request; please make it so that you can upgrade the quality of you workers and their tools (Grind Stone) from common to uncommon.

Considering that there are some tools that are 1-2m ad each. This idea would completely destroy the market and any reason to buy boosters. There is a very small chance for workers to be upgraded to green instead of t3 white, but the chance is so low.
  • Options
    iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    1) not being able to upgrade from white to green feels ..cheap, feels like the game pushes you toward the store, feels like it's limiting you for being F2P
    Personally i'd add some a white -> green upgrade (1:1) but have it cost like 40-50k AD or something, it shouldn't mess with the economy but give people a clear line of progression even though that amount of AD for a newbe might be depressing.

2) Really slow to level and not very useful. They fall out of line with leveling and can't provide a benefit for yourself when you need it (talking about gear crafting prof). The leveling is quite boring, basically you have to gather/process the raw mats and the spam the same item hundreds of times. You don't have the opportunity to do anything exciting with it while leveling

3) Close to useless at max level (again talking about gear crafting). It's artificially made useful by not having shirts/pants drop in the world and this are pretty much the only items worth crafting. An epic rank 2 item has WORSE stats than a blue you get from AH for less than 100 AD. Also by the time you level it and get the tools you'll be full epic anyway.

4) Investment vs reward. Currently this long and boring process of leveling a crafting profession makes you feel like it's gonna be very rewarding but it ends up with a massive disappointment. You need about 4M AD to get the tools for the job and when you think that you finally made it, you conquered the secrets of mailsmithing, you're smacked in the face with RNG.
    I was really happy after i maxed out prof and took me like two months to buy the tools and i thought "now it's time to reap the rewards" but it took me 8 tries to get a gemmed shirt.

Imo the epic tools should be 50% chance, i really would like to see someone try to argue that this 40% chance and RNG is actually making the game better.
  • Options
    kidcriticuskidcriticus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iuliandrei wrote: »
    1) not being able to upgrade from white to green feels ..cheap, feels like the game pushes you toward the store, feels like it's limiting you for being F2P

I Agree. But if you think about it its a luxury to go faster or get better quality.
    So its working as intended. It would be a nice gesture to make it possible for us to upgrade somehow in game without forcing our hands towards zen.
    But i doubt it will happen, money is money.
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014

2) Really slow to level and not very useful. They fall out of line with leveling and can't provide a benefit for yourself when you need it (talking about gear crafting prof). The leveling is quite boring, basically you have to gather/process the raw mats and the spam the same item hundreds of times. You don't have the opportunity to do anything exciting with it while leveling

3) Close to useless at max level (again talking about gear crafting). It's artificially made useful by not having shirts/pants drop in the world and this are pretty much the only items worth crafting. An epic rank 2 item has WORSE stats than a blue you get from AH for less than 100 AD. Also by the time you level it and get the tools you'll be full epic anyway..

That's really the worst part about it,

EVEN if you paid for it... you still wouldn't get anything worthwhile.

Its just more a waste of time. Heck even a waste of money if you wanted to put real money into it.

There's just nothing to be gained except marginally. And you can get most of that stuff anywhere else.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I do think professions couls be made more useful but really I just want to correct some mis-statements about alchemy. first alchemy equipment is cheap because it has no effect. there aer no rwnk 3 outcomes. Second it is the easiest to level because all you need for experimentation is aqua and junk potions. Junk potions are cheap and aqua is easilly manufactured. If you level once in the morning and again before going to bed you will be at 20 in no time.
  • Options
    maxilockheartmaxilockheart Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2014
    what are you complaining about? none is forcing you to buy ZEN, just make some AD and get what you need from AH, no real money spend, problem solved...

and as said, if you need epic tools on it, just get some friends and buy them together, you can lend it, then sell it on AH again... its not that bad...
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I Agree. But if you think about it its a luxury to go faster or get better quality.
    Faster I can accept as a luxury that you pay for, better quality I'm less convinced about. What I dislike the most is that obtaining tools and crafters is that it's a gamble with really bad odds, outside of the AH at least. I'm sure this works for some though, and I do roll the dice on occasion.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    first alchemy equipment is cheap because it has no effect. there aer no rwnk 3 outcomes.

That's false. I unlocked all my rank 3 result slots with alchemy, and now my tools are on loan to my husband to do the same. The rare tasks to brew things in batches can produce 3 different stack sizes, with the biggest one being your rank 3 result. Works great.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    4) Investment vs reward. Currently this long and boring process of leveling a crafting profession makes you feel like it's gonna be very rewarding but it ends up with a massive disappointment. You need about 4M AD to get the tools for the job and when you think that you finally made it, you conquered the secrets of mailsmithing, you're smacked in the face with RNG.
    I was really happy after i maxed out prof and took me like two months to buy the tools and i thought "now it's time to reap the rewards" but it took me 8 tries to get a gemmed shirt.

I'm sorry you had such rotten luck with shirt crafting (I had a run of 5 straight fails recently and it was discouraging but then I got 5 successes in a row), but you have to stick with it and keep cranking them out. Eventually the results will even out to match the odds. I invested in the necessary tools (for all 4 types) ~4 months ago and have made back every single AD I spent and then some; it's all profit now!