test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

HR best tank companion?

ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Wilds
Hello I am starting to level my HR and its been much more fun then the GF I must say, however the Man at Arms seems subpar as a tank.

Which would be best for leveling:

Galeb

Bear

Nevember Guard

Dread Warrior?

Also whats highest levels of each I know purple is 30 but whats highest levels on green and blue?
Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
Post edited by ripyourlipsoff on

Comments

• Options
    asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Galeb is considered the best simply by virtue of already being a purple and having a hard Taunt (meaning that it FORCES the target to attack him)

but i've heard nice things about the Guard as well.

whatever you do DO NOT get the Dread Warrior if you want something to tank for you. He's a Striker, not a Defender, and his Active ability actually makes YOU generate more threat
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think they actually call the Dread Warrior a leader, because it buffs lifesteal. Anyway, it's a companion for tanks, not a companion to tank for you.

Green is 20 and blue is 25.

And my HR really likes his Frost Mimic.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks guys, is galeb better than a level upgraded man at arms?

• Options
    edited February 2014
    It's cheaper. I don't know if anyone's ever bothered to test and outright compare the two.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Galeb Duhr

Tanky, hard taunt, takes aggro from a GF even... No contest.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think they actually call the Dread Warrior a leader, because it buffs lifesteal. Anyway, it's a companion for tanks, not a companion to tank for you.

Green is 20 and blue is 25.

And my HR really likes his Frost Mimic.
    I did not run into any solo content that the mimic could not tank as a low 60, naturally you want the stone. And endgame I found that the flat defense it gives is never wasted points.
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Cave Bear is quite a bit of fun. I upgraded mine to purple (not cheap), and the extra 1200 HP active bonus is pretty nice. The bear is TOUGH with a lot of HP, has good taunts, and looks great. I still prefer an Ioun Stone for serious business, but the bear is a blast for solo stuff/dailies and the active bonus is always welcome. Of course I am a CW, so my defenses, while great for a wiz, are not as strong as a good HR so my demands might be a little different.

I do have a Galeb Duhr on my HR and it is very useful, but I dont really need a tank for that character, I am plenty tough already.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Now thats what I ws hoping to hear, I want the bear it just fits the Ranger class! However may I ask what are the CDs on his taunt? I've read Galebs taunt is on a 2min cd??? I want a tank that can taunt a lot much like man at arms both attacks create threat.

tickdoff wrote: »
    The Cave Bear is quite a bit of fun. I upgraded mine to purple (not cheap), and the extra 1200 HP active bonus is pretty nice. The bear is TOUGH with a lot of HP, has good taunts, and looks great. I still prefer an Ioun Stone for serious business, but the bear is a blast for solo stuff/dailies and the active bonus is always welcome. Of course I am a CW, so my defenses, while great for a wiz, are not as strong as a good HR so my demands might be a little different.

I do have a Galeb Duhr on my HR and it is very useful, but I dont really need a tank for that character, I am plenty tough already.

• Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I leveled my hr with the man at arms, the first and only character i didnt use a cleric companion to level. The man at arms is fine and should see you to 60 np. Expensive pets aren't going to be difference making better as "tanks" as the taunt mechanics for tank pets are all the same. Thus i would urge you to carefully consider spending ad/zen/whatever on a pet for leveling purposes as its basically going to perform the same as a free man at arms. If you want a pet for the active bonus at 60 then sure, but otherwise i'd advise against paying for one.
  • Options
    teflondon75teflondon75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just another point of favor for Galeb, he makes a great (for tier 6 even) companion for sword coast adventures/gateway game. For asthetic/RP reasons the cave bear would be great IMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    For asthetic/RP reasons the cave bear would be great IMO.

My HR is Beau of Hazzard.

His mimic is General Lee.

I'd say that what you really want to be looking at in any tank companion of any rank is to equip it as defensively as possible. A lot of people like to increase companion HPs, whereas I usually go for the defense stat. (Perhaps someday I'll sit down and test companion durability based on having profane runes and then empowered.)

Neverwinter Census 2017