test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So no new PvP maps

ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2014 in PvE Discussion
Incoming changes to PvP and still no new PvP maps or modes.
Post edited by ocampusmaximus on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No new PvP maps... are currently available to test on preview.

That's as much as any of us knows. Hardly definitive.

Edit: Now here's a thought. Would they release the PvP maps in advance, or just bring them out when ready to go live? Knowing the terrain does convey an advantage, however quickly an inexperienced person can also learn the terrain. Do they want to give the people testing on preview that advantage over non-testers when PvP changes go live? Maybe not.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nope, nothing. I'm at the point where I hope most of this update gets thrown out the window after someone says "You know... nobody asked for 85% of what we're shoving in. Let's flog whatever we weren't asked for and go get to work on some new maps for domination so that people will stop being bored of the same scene. We should also add in that really awesome map idea with the bright sun, blue sky, and singing animated trees and flowers with smiling faces that cry for blood on as you beat the hell out of each other."

My wishful delusion my rules. That's why the entirety of that should be read in a british accent.
  • vullonvullon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    These new upcoming changes I can appreciate. But please add more pvp content!
  • dante123pldante123pl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    we got stuff that we doesnt asked for instead....
  • ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    yeah, its a bit disappointing that in a pvp centered patch they are not adding new maps or specially modes and thats what the game actually needs.... if they are not going to do it, at least make a foundry update so the players have the freedom to do so.
  • grimelrokgrimelrok Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    lol it's the 1st year of the game still, and people are *****ing about pvp maps. LoTRO still has the one and ONLY map for PVP they have ever had and the game's been out for like 7 years now. Cryptic has done a good job with content and expansions. I'm all for htem tweaking the matchmaking system, gear and mechanics and bugs first. I look forward to new maps and pvp game types (esp non capture point domination types) when they are ready to release them and I have no doubt they will over time given the overwhelming popularity of the PVP in this game despite it being something they weren't sure they even wanted to add to the game lol. Be happy they are paying attention to it and doing things already for it, I am. Is it everything I want it to be no, will it likely ever be, no. But I still have fun and that's the point, login, have fun, log out. (wait I know some of you think I'm crazy but yes, you can log out)
  • vektoriozvektorioz Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It would nice if they added the maps of a little known short lived Aussie game called Fury.They were a blast.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'd hope that they'd add another map, or at least another main dungeon. Not sure how I can go with another few months until waiting for more new content in mod 4. Although I'm not especially keen on pvp myself, still a new map would add some variety.
  • jazharajazhara Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    i personally would rather have more skirmish maps then pvp....but thats because the pvp in NW is broken with no sign of any real fix of balancing on the way.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    i'm thinking more pvp maps will come with module 3. but until an official announcement is made, everything is speculative.
    edited February 2014
    grimelrok wrote: »
    lol it's the 1st year of the game still, and people are *****ing about pvp maps. LoTRO still has the one and ONLY map for PVP they have ever had and the game's been out for like 7 years now. Cryptic has done a good job with content and expansions.

Turbine is very clear on why it doesn't do more for PvP though, it doesn't make them as much money as PvE. Cryptic makes its money from lockboxes, mounts, and the Astral Diamond trade. Considering that not a day goes by that you don't get a message about "someone" getting a lockbox treasure (and they probably had to open a hundred just to get it) you can tell where their fortunes are made. Especially considering most people try for the mounts so they can do better in PvP.

Now here's the important difference. In LoTRO the time it takes to level up from base to max is quite a bit longer when compared to Neverwinter, and LoTRO has equal if not more lore based quests than Neverwinter (without voice acting) so if you take the time to read out each quest and understand the meanings and relationships behind everything it'll take you even more time. I got from level 1 to 60 in Neverwinter while taking my time and enjoying the storyline in 2 weeks.

PvP is an end-game glue and for a game like LoTRO where your endgame is FAR in the future with each new character creation, it's not as big an issue. With Neverwinter you see the big white wall of "you have nothing left to do but repetitive boring grind in the near future" almost at level 1 with each new character. Neverwinter essentially has no glue and I can see a hurricane coming over the horizon.
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    LOTRO is a dying game, perhaps in part because of how PVP has been blatantly neglected my turbine. They survive on casual gamers because of the IP, neverwinter will not have that luxury.
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    PvP will NEVER sustain an MMO. PvP is *at most* a minor diversion, nothing more.
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think you mean MMORPG, there are tons of MMO's that are focused entirely on PVP that do quite well.
    edited February 2014
    -points to guild wars... the first one-

Guild Wars 1 had a ton of mechanics I'd love to see Cryptic rip off so hard that they actually take chunks of the game with it. But more importantly than that it had all the basics of a perfect MMORPG (though only the basics, it never really fleshed it all out). Strong storyline and lore coupled with many genuinely interesting questlines and people who have actual personalities besides being just random quest givers. At the end of the game you could travel to other areas and complete even more PvE content or you could jump into PvP for never ending gameplay (seeing as everyone changed their build in between matches).

Even if you're a PvE purist (my seething resentment of you aside) you have to acknowledge that these are the basic blocks of a good online game. Strong PvE up until end-game and some solid PvP for the end-game. Any smart developer will realize that by max level, players will want to have a chance to really test their metal. The most dangerous game and the most challenging enemy is other intelligent players who have maxed out their build's potential as well. Put 2 and 2 together and let them have their relationship already.

What I'm trying to say is that all of these blocks: PvE, PvP, Story, Variety, and Balance. None of these are mere gimmicks for any type of online game, they're all highly important for creating and keeping a player base. No player will be content forever with only PvP or only PvE and the other 3 are required to keep PvP and PvE interesting.