test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to Upgrade

zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
Have noticed this today I tried upgrading a Blue Bloodcrystal Raven skull into a Purple Blood Crystal raven skull. 50% chance I used 15 Green wards on this and failed everytime. Anyone else experience a similar problem?
Post edited by zardoz007 on

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Green wards only protect your reagents. Blue wards guarantee the upgrade. I hate to say it, but maybe you need to try with a blue ward? As for failure rates - hell, I've had five failures in a row just upgrading a 4 to 5. :\
  • rgladiatorgladiato Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The thing to remember is the percent chance is per-attempt. It is not overall. Think of a real life coin toss. If you flip it 10 times it is unlikely that you will get 5 heads and 5 tails but each flip has a 50% chance of being heads. Now that said the more coin tosses you do the closer you'll get to an overall 50/50 result. 10 flips may be 2 heads and 8 tails. 10000 flips might be 4000 heads and 6000 tails, etc.

That's what I hate about RNGs when they don't take long term trends into account. I have no idea if Neverwinter's RNG is just a straight random number each try or not. There are mathematical formulas that bring a computers RNG closer to what it would be if we were using real world objects such as dice. I don't have the code so I can't tell.
    Nixon the TR
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    o1iHDN0.png?1
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    15 wards is a little unreasonable but not completely impossible.

That said, if any items required for the upgrade are in your overflow bag, upgrading will fail every time, and that's what this sounds like to me.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I hate to say it, but maybe you need to try with a blue ward?

On a 50% chance, this is *terrible* advice, especially since I would bet you the ten dollars that the OP's problem is caused by the bug I cited.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia