test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to change artifact numeric key

roycedendrakroycedendrak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I am new to MMOs. Could someone tell me how to change the numeric key assigned to the artifact? On one character it is a 3 and on my other it is a 7. I would like the two characters to have the same setup. Thanks
Post edited by roycedendrak on

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    . . . On the character that is set up the way you like it, type in chat /bind_save_file nwo.txt and then on your other characters, type /bind_load_file nwo.txt and it will import your binds from the save. To edit keybinds in game, go into Options, Control Tab and expand the Keybinds section. This is only available when logged into a character.

. . . You can export/import without a named file, but I figured it is best to describe this method as it is the best way, especially if you want to have multiple-set ups. The nwo.txt part can be anyname you like, with .txt on the end. So, setup1.txt and setup2.txt or even pvp.txt and pve.txt, for examples, would be good to use.
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Are these files good account wide, or on a character by character basis?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Are these files good account wide, or on a character by character basis?
    . . . Keybinds are saved per character. The file export is saved in your installation directory, so can be imported on any character. So, if you want all your characters to have the same keybinds as one of your other characters, you'd export it once on the character that has the desired keybinds, and then import it on every character by logging into each of them and typing the import command for that file.

. . . If you export a file named the same as an existing file export name, it will overwrite that file.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's also worth noting that if you load a keybind file ALL other custom keybinds are erased on that character. For example, if I have a keybind for mouse button 4 and I load a keybind file that only contains keybinds using a few number keys I will still lose the keybind for mouse button 4. In other words, only the custom keybinds in the txt file will exist on the character after loading that txt file.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's also worth noting that if you load a keybind file ALL other custom keybinds are erased on that character. For example, if I have a keybind for mouse button 4 and I load a keybind file that only contains keybinds using a few number keys I will still lose the keybind for mouse button 4. In other words, only the custom keybinds in the txt file will exist on the character after loading that txt file.

I am not sure what you are talking about. I have the following type of files in my Neverwinter\Live folder:

ah.binds
    announce.binds
    artifacts.binds
    chat.binds
    CW.binds
    companion.binds
    DC.binds
    demo.binds
    fov.binds
    GF.binds
    GWF.binds
    hardtargetlock.binds
    log.binds
    movie.binds
    mount.binds
    TR.binds

Each contains binds I create on a character and consider useful. So, I either export the binds and delete all lines except for the one I want or I just create it by hand in the folder since they are just normal console commands. Then I can re-import it into any new character.

For example my artifact.binds contains just the following line:

Button5 "+InventoryExec ArtifactPrimary 0"

Hence, I can activate my primary artifact with one of my mouse buttons on any character once I import that file per new character.

So, you don't have to lose anything with bind files. Indeed, they are very useful.
    edited January 2014
    Hmmm. It was my understanding (and my experience) that when you load a bind file all custom keybinds are reset.

For example, if I load a bind file that only contains:
    MouseButton4 "++tacticalSpecial"

and then I load a file that only contains:

MouseButton 5 "+Inventory"

then MouseButton5 will open my inventory window, but MouseButton4 will no longer do anything.
    edited January 2014
    Hmmm. It was my understanding (and my experience) that when you load a bind file all custom keybinds are reset.

For example, if I load a bind file that only contains:
    MouseButton4 "++tacticalSpecial"

and then I load a file that only contains:

MouseButton 5 "+Inventory"

then MouseButton5 will open my inventory window, but MouseButton4 will no longer do anything.

No, that it is behavior I have never observed. If it worked that way, all the bind files I created would be completely useless.
    edited January 2014
    fondlez wrote: »
    No, that it is behavior I have never observed. If it worked that way, all the bind files I created would be completely useless.
    . . . He's talking about in-game keybinds, not your saved export files. E.g. when you import a bind file, your keybinds in game are changed to what is in the bind file and previous settings are lost.
    edited January 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . He's talking about in-game keybinds, not your saved export files. E.g. when you import a bind file, your keybinds in game are changed to what is in the bind file and previous settings are lost.

Yes, but he's referring to different binds being affected (note his example of MouseButton4 being lost on importing MouseButton5). By contrast, if I import a bind file with a specific bind to a specific button ONLY that button in-game is affected, not anything else.
  • jimdenjimden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Like "zebular' said,

In game hit esc, go to options, click keybinds, find your current key change it. check for the key that had been slotted and change it as well.

You may also have to change any and all keybinds on that account and any other acct. you may have..

Simple!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    Yes, but he's referring to different binds being affected (note his example of MouseButton4 being lost on importing MouseButton5). By contrast, if I import a bind file with a specific bind to a specific button ONLY that button in-game is affected, not anything else.

Well, now I'm real curious as to what we may be doing differently. I'll try to do some testing tonight.
    Are you using /bind_save_file and /bind_load_file?
    edited January 2014
    Well, now I'm real curious as to what we may be doing differently. I'll try to do some testing tonight.
    Are you using /bind_save_file and /bind_load_file?

Yes. Technically, I use an alias for them these days, since they are too long to type out often, but yes.

Also, I do not believe it is anything specific I am doing. You just need to check for yourself again. Make sure you do not touch your keybinds in anyway using the standard User Interface options (which have a nasty habit of somehow linking keybinds and causing keybinds to disappear when changed).
  • roycedendrakroycedendrak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for everyone's help. Will have a look tonight.
    edited January 2014
    Yes. Technically, I use an alias for them these days, since they are too long to type out often, but yes.

Also, I do not believe it is anything specific I am doing. You just need to check for yourself again. Make sure you do not touch your keybinds in anyway using the standard User Interface options (which have a nasty habit of somehow linking keybinds and causing keybinds to disappear when changed).

It does not appear to be unbinding other keys on my newest character. Perhaps it is, as you say, due to manual keybinds from Options. Or maybe that was a BETA behavior, has been patched out, or was from a different Cryptic game (Champions). Thanks fondlez.