test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF: Is Sentinel Worth Speccing Into?

airlianairlian Member Posts: 27 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Hi,

I have come back from a long break and I picked up my main again, the GWF.

Back when the game was released, I was reading that the Sentinel tree was broken. I now read that the GWF has been buffed massively and have looked into several builds, and the Leeroy Jenkins Sentinel build intrigued me. It looks really good, the kind of thing I want, but is it worth bringing a tanky GWF over a DPS one in a party? And I assume that all the problems with the Sentinel tree related to threat not working have been fixed?

I don't really care about "what spec is best", I will make that conclusion by reading the various builds and experimenting. What I am wondering is whether the role of a tanky GWF is worth investing into.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have :)
Post edited by airlian on

Comments

• eton3000eton3000 Banned Users Posts: 230 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    priorities in pve in rank. 1 being the most priority

1. DPS
    2. CC
    3. HEALING
    4. TANKING

just sums up the current meta today, groups always look for dps, all dungeons can be cleared without a cleric, no tanking needed as mobs die very fast and dc's heal + pots are enough to make tanking obsolete
  • airlianairlian Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi there,

That's exactly the info I wanted. Thank you very much, I know in which direction to go now :)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The module 2 version of the Leeroy Jenkins build (page 20-something of that thread) does really great damage. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's not so much a tank build as a LEEEEEROOOOYYY build, although it's very durable. Any threat generation is really just bonus.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited January 2014
    The module 2 version of the Leeroy Jenkins build (page 20-something of that thread) does really great damage. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's not so much a tank build as a LEEEEEROOOOYYY build, although it's very durable. Any threat generation is really just bonus.

Aha, I will have a look at that. Thanks :)
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It is worth it if you like the survivability for PvE/PvP. All GWFs are viable though... :)

You're call on what you like, but I say test it out to see!
    va8Ru.gif
    edited January 2014
    At least it's good to hear now that there isn't a totally broken tree like there used to be.
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally, I'm trying to build a hybrid Destroyer/Sentinel build revolving around Deflect/Life Steal/Marking and "some" DPS to give an off-tank ability along with descent DPS. It's a combination of Steamroller, LEEEEEROOOOYYY and module 2 Leeroy. I'm using ACT to detail different tactics and plan on sharing in the kolamaster Leeroy Jenkins thread in a few weeks. Overall though, I think it is completely viable to do DPS AND off-tank. Then again, anything is possible with the right amount of AD...
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad