test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we get solo-versions of the dungeons?

13»

Comments

• Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Yes, it's crucial that the rewards don't match the group-dungeons, or else who would want to bother with groups in the first place? I think the rewards should be somewhere between normal questing and group-dungeons. A purple during DD could be fun, but it would have to be something below what we get in the group-dungeons. (or Epic dungeons specifically, to avoid confusing with the normal, low-level dungeons.) For that matter, I'll be happy if all we get is unique, bind-on-pickup transmute-gear. Think about the stuff we got in CTA, or the scarves we got in the winter festival. Silly stuff, but looks pretty awesome. I actually struggled do decide if I should upgrade my dagger or not, as it would mean I would loose the awesome axe I got from the first CTA. :)
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi. So I like the idea of solo dungeons, but I personally would not like it to be doable by just any solo player. This will entice people to group up less and just do the solo dungeons by themselves, and will in return promote less grouping up in an MMO. MMO's are supposed to be about grouping up, because that's how we win easily. By grouping up, by herding together and gain strength in numbers.

But solo players, despite having a variety of reasons for playing solo, in the end they all desire the same thing; which is a good challenge. To attain something by oneself without relying on a pack to keep him strong, that is fun and thrilling in its own way. I personally played Neverwinter because it advertised itself to be a good game for solo players and players who prefer to group up. I'm in this for the solo aspect of the game and in all honesty, the game so much potential for cooking up challenging solo contents. Foundry content, while it's fun to be able to experience the worlds created by other players, is lacking in terms of combat. If we got better boss fights out of it, it would have been a whole lot better. But there are other contents that would be fun if we played them solo, and they come in the form of Epic Dungeons. I personally would like to be able to enter Epic Dungeons by myself (without the assistance of others), and see how far I'll get. To be able to Epic Dungeons in all its difficulty, in all its beauty, I'd like to be able to tackle them by myself and test how well I managed to build my avatars. I personally have no desire to take on easy solo versions of the dungeons. If players decide to go solo, they should be prepared for the repercussions that it brings, and that they should not expect things to be as easy as if they were in a group.

Modules bring a variety of solo-friendly dungeons, that's true. We have an abundance of solo content, but none of them are remotely challenging or fun. But being able to fight level 65 mobs by yourself, in my humblest of opinions, that is fun and challenging. Being able to test the many broken ways one can play the game on, and being able to see the fruits of your planning, is another thrill on its own. Make it so that Epic Dungeons can be tackled solo or in group play in order to advocate both the solo people and the people who like to group up, and I'm pretty sure we'd have a LOT more stuff to do in the game. More often than not, people do not enter dungeons simply because they can't find a proper group. But if players are allowed to enter dungeons with an incomplete party, we'll be getting more activity in dungeons, despite having more failed attempts as well. This should promote solo players to find out more ways to become more independent of others, and I'm pretty sure the severely geared up population of Neverwinter are also looking for similar challenges. Being able to enter Epic Dungeons with an incomplete party should be the perfect distraction.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I thought that I would finally abandon my solo ways and try a DD Epic Pirate King. This was a bad idea since although my GWF got in twice during DD both times it was to partly done dungeons which apparently had been glitched and so were uncompletable...

So I decided to see how far I could get on the normal version of Pirate King just with my trusty cleric. Ninety minutes later, and somewhat to my surprise given that my GWF is only just above 12K GS, I ended up killing the final boss. Was fun although the constant knock-backs from Ruffians was really annoying. I was also astonished how long my Green DC lasted - she only died twice, one of which was when the final boss was at about 20%.

I do think it would be really fun to have solo epic versions, even if the loot dropped has somewhat lower stats than the normal 'group' epic dungeons, so that people have a chance to gear up given the apparently busted queue system, and ridiculous /Zone requirements.
  • Options
    cartivacartiva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like the solo of dungeons idea. I find that most people want to race to the prize at the end and not explore every spot. I generally wait until every one leaves then back track through, but the large mobs with unending hp and 1 shot kill attacks doesn't always work.

Lately, when I queue for a dungeon and it sticks us at the beginning, everyone signs out as soon as they load. Its a re-queue rush to get stuck into the final battle or just after the battle to get easy loot. The last 10 times in CN I have come into the last campfire for the dragon. Finally last night hooked up with a 3-man that wanted to run the whole thing. We could not get queued into a dungeon that was not already beat.
    Keira Taletreader 60 GF 13.9 GS
    Erdan Loreweaver 60 CW 11.3 GS
    Mika Hawklight 60 DC 11.5 GS
    Rukia Stealthfoot 60 TR 11.5 GS
    Ka D'Argo 60 HR 13.7 GS
    Ivan Ironfist 60 GWF 11.6 GS
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Hi. So I like the idea of solo dungeons, but I personally would not like it to be doable by just any solo player. This will entice people to group up less and just do the solo dungeons by themselves, and will in return promote less grouping up in an MMO. MMO's are supposed to be about grouping up, because that's how we win easily. By grouping up, by herding together and gain strength in numbers.
    How many times do I have to say the rewards won't be as good as the epic group-dungeons? I have even said a couple of times that I'm perfectly fine with transmutable gear only as reward. The Epic dungeons are still "sacred", and won't be affected at all in any way. Rather, consider the solo-dungeons practice for the real ones. Not only will we still be able to find groups for the epics easily enough, but people will even be far better prepared for them, making PUGs more likely to complete them.
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I thought that I would finally abandon my solo ways and try a DD Epic Pirate King. This was a bad idea since although my GWF got in twice during DD both times it was to partly done dungeons which apparently had been glitched and so were uncompletable...
    To my experience, the queue-system is usually a bad idea if you are on your own. However, it works great if you already have a full group, and if everyone is within the correct level range. (if not, use the door.) I've done DD Pirate King (epic) on several occasions, even three times in a row. Never had a problem with a full group, only when queueing solo, :)
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Love the idea!
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    edited January 2014

So I decided to see how far I could get on the normal version of Pirate King just with my trusty cleric. Ninety minutes later, and somewhat to my surprise given that my GWF is only just above 12K GS, I ended up killing the final boss. Was fun although the constant knock-backs from Ruffians was really annoying. I was also astonished how long my Green DC lasted - she only died twice, one of which was when the final boss was at about 20%.

I do think it would be really fun to have solo epic versions, even if the loot dropped has somewhat lower stats than the normal 'group' epic dungeons, so that people have a chance to gear up given the apparently busted queue system, and ridiculous /Zone requirements.

Wow, with a DC? Never thought I'd hear about a DC soloing a dungeon even though it's a heroic. :) Still awesome.

Soloing dungeons, or basically any hard content is fun. Even though it's a long grind, the sense of achievement you get from clearing something a person normally could not without a team is just so gratifying. There are very little achievements like that here in the game so far. Very little opportunities other than speed running things.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nah, he was playing a GWF and commenting on the survival of his wee cleric companion. Shouldn't have typed DC, but C(leric)D(isciple). Though if green it might technically be the Faithful Initiate.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Ahhhh. That cleared up a lot. I was thinking how come it was jumping from GWF to DC. From "green" DC, I thought it was green as in new.

RIP, my comprehension skills. You shall be missed.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sadly it wasn't on my DC alt or else that would have been impressive. :)

And Becky is right in that I was using the Faithful Initiate companion, although I believe stats-wise that it is identical to the Green Cleric Disciple.

Apparently, a 14K CW managed to solo EPIC Pirate King though:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?589091-Is-this-game-just-way-too-easy&p=7092821&viewfull=1#post7092821

which quite surprised me although I imagine with enough recovery you can simply perma-CC most enemies.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And Becky is right in that I was using the Faithful Initiate companion, although I believe stats-wise that it is identical to the Green Cleric Disciple.

The only difference between the two is that the FI doesn't give you regen as an active companion bonus. I think it's recovery.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hehe would have been impressive indeed. All this time I was thinking it was DC. Was trying to figure out how to cook up the DPS for it without being too much of a glass cannon.

And wow, I soloed Epic PK on my TR back when it was still around 10.5k, but my build specializes in soloing these things. I can't imagine how a CW could have done it. There are a lot of annoying adds there that I could not have went up against if it weren't for Stealth. Punting from cliffs, maybe? Epic PK does have its fair share of it. Arcane Singularity spams? But the AP generation would have been immense. I'm not so sure if it's possible to perma-CC groups as 1 CW, but I'm also currently building my CW with a similar concept. 90% RSI for Mastery, 60% for the rest. Pretty easy to figure out how to achieve that. But even with all that RSI, I can't still imagine how it would be possible to perma CC with the CW's target cap for most of its AoE control. Shards, Steal Time, Shield, Icy Terrain maybe?

I'm just getting more curious.
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    About solo dungeons and getting to take your time and explore:

All can be done at level 60, some of the epic dungeons can be solo'd at lvl 60, and some of the higher tier epic dungeons can be short-manned at level 60. I do the "quick run" epic dungeons with a full group, and either with just my wife or 2 others, do some epic dungeons mainly to take our time and explore, crack jokes and so on.

As others have said, the "solo dungeons" are the lairs and there are plenty of them. So may people call for lfg for lairs (esp in dr) that if you don't know better you'll think ds or wf (or whatever) are dungeons. It is just more time efficient to rip through them with a group.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF