Install Arc
Options

Female GWF and weapon scaling?

2»

Comments

• Options
    tourage16tourage16 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have to agree... one good point about this game is that we were missing western medieval stuff and that giant sword just breaks the immersion... it looks like a weapon from an asian game.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    khimera906 wrote: »
    My GWF is a tall, muscular Half-Orc who smashes people with a huge hammer. The Half-Orc seemed like the best choice for a GWF, but to be honest, I like the looks of the Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Dwarf and Tiefling GWFs a lot. On the other hand, the Halflings look kinda silly, and if I remember correctly in D&D Halflings can't even wield great weapons without talking special feats - they normally use two hands to wield long swords. If you reduce the size of the weapons too much, it couldn't even count as a great weapon. Maybe Halflings should have a restriction for the GWF class. Just a thought, please don't lynch me :p.
    The thing is that in Pen and Paper DND the damage difference is functionally only 1 point. A longsword does 1d8 damage (average 4.5) and a two-hander deals 1d10 (average 5.5). So the halfling doesn't lose much by wielding a longsword in two hands. At end game (level 30 out of 30) expect to see damage-based characters (strikers) doing 90 damage per round reliably. Most of that is coming from fixed bonuses and special dice. The actual weapon itself is selected more often for its properties than it's damage die. From the most recent play tests for 5th edition (aka DND Next), weapons are almost irrelevant compared to the fixed damage bonuses (at least for fighters and rogues, which is what we're looking at in this thread anyway).

So, aiming at the PNP rules there's no reason to give any significant penalty, but a modest one maybe. Personally, I think that doesn't do anything but remove options and so should be avoided. If someone wants to be silly, let them. You can be serious if you like and neither of you is doing it wrong.

The clipping issues though, should be addressed somehow.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The thing is that in Pen and Paper DND the damage difference is functionally only 1 point. ...
    The clipping issues though, should be addressed somehow.
    I know, I know, there's no need for restrictions or penalties. I was just "thinking out loud" :D They just need to scale the weapons down a bit.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.