test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[BUG] Storm Step Action + Forest Ghost = Instant Cooldown Reduction

dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in The Wilds
BUG: Storm Step Action (Passive) + Forest Ghost (Daily)

Storm Step Action - Reduces all cool downs by 3 seconds when a daily is used

Forest Ghost - Stealth's the HR and attacks each target in range once

Issue:

Forest Ghost is procing the Storm Step Action passive each time you attack and hit a target. This means that you are able to instantly refresh encounters over and over again while combining both. Within the time frame of 1 ghost daily, it is possible to refresh cool downs (3) times. This is causing a massive inflated amount of damage due to triple casting encounter rotations or spamming fox cunning 3 times in a row during the use of Forest Ghost.
Post edited by dkcandy on

Comments

• voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    BUG: Storm Step Action (Passive) + Forest Ghost (Daily)

Storm Step Action - Reduces all cool downs by 3 seconds when a daily is used

Forest Ghost - Stealth's the HR and attacks each target in range once

Issue:

Forest Ghost is procing the Storm Step Action passive each time you attack and hit a target. This means that you are able to instantly refresh encounters over and over again while combining both. Within the time frame of 1 ghost daily, it is possible to refresh cool downs (3) times. This is causing a massive inflated amount of damage due to triple casting encounter rotations or spamming fox cunning 3 times in a row during the use of Forest Ghost.
    Were the hell were you at your quite late with this its already mentioned in my guide and is quite know about already
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wodgotwodgot Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    wait so is this an unintended synergy between those two skills? it's a bug and will be patched?
  • arhanelarhanel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    in my opinion it is not a bug, is should be this way, exactly as description says, when we dont have targets in range stormstep wont proc
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    @Wodgot - we don't know. Anyone who says anything other than officials are blowing smoke. This is currently how it works. it has been noted to work this way. So now we wait to see if it'll stay or be a bug to be fixed.
    edited December 2013
    arhanel wrote: »
    in my opinion it is not a bug, is should be this way, exactly as description says, when we dont have targets in range stormstep wont proc

Yes exactly it considers Forest Ghost secondary effect a activation also and its secondary effect only activates when there's a foe around you this is further Hinted to be working as intended cuas forest ghost can only hit the same target once. Its also far from OP cause by the time your done recharging and getting ready to cast mobs have already ben gathered and pushed by CW making precise use of this combo hard.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • badeacelraubadeacelrau Member Posts: 85
    edited December 2013
    LOL at OP, he panicked when he figured this out. It's funny that voltmey mentioned this in his guide from the beginning and I think it's intended to work like that.
  • xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    LOL at OP, he panicked when he figured this out. It's funny that voltmey mentioned this in his guide from the beginning and I think it's intended to work like that.

I disagree, this cannont be intended. The attacks from forest ghost are not the player activating a Daily Power. They are the damage dealing component of a daily power.

They are two completely different things.

This "should" be a bug and I would expect it to get fixed soon.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
    edited December 2013
    I disagree, this cannont be intended. The attacks from forest ghost are not the player activating a Daily Power. They are the damage dealing component of a daily power.

They are two completely different things.

This "should" be a bug and I would expect it to get fixed soon.
    The dmg dealing Portion is a activation and cant activate if the player doesn't use forest ghost cuas arguably forest ghost does nothing but stealths the player until the player wishes to activate its dmg dealing effect and to do so he must move close to the target.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    but after going into stealth cd isnt reduced, only after forest ghost actually hit somebody ergo it was intended to work this way, i hope it is
    edited December 2013
    Any way if were calling out bugs you mite as well tell them forest ghost more then doubles your running speed while its in effect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    The dmg dealing Portion is a activation and cant activate if the player doesn't use forest ghost cuas arguably forest ghost does nothing but stealths the player until the player wishes to activate its dmg dealing effect and to do so he must move close to the target.

That my good sir, is semantics. The damage dealing portion is not a Daily Activation. It is the damage portion of a daily proccing. I understand that Stormstep Action does not specify the difference, but I guarentee you that it is not intended that we can Fox Shift and use other encounters near back to back. Because that is what Storm Step allows us to do.

Also inregards to your take on Forest Ghost: Yes it stealths us (Also apparently increases movement speed by a small amount) and then, if we come into contact with another player it will damage them. Are you pressing 1 /2 to do that damage each time? No. Therefore you as a player, are not activating anything to recieve the benefit of Stormstep Action again.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    but after going into stealth cd isnt reduced, only after forest ghost actually hit somebody ergo it was intended to work this way, i hope it is

You guys do not understand how this works do you?

1 - I've known about this bug since PTR and reported it then.

2 - With GHOST Activated (ANY) At-Will attacks proc the Storm Step passive and reduces your cool down by 3 seconds. This is how I can preform (3) Full Fox attacks in succession or combo / stack other encounters over and over during ghost. This is not intended because all other daily's only trigger (1) 3 Second reduction.

The issue is GHOSTs (Passive Attack) is also accepting at-will attacks as a daily trigger. So if you have say 4 mobs (players) it will instantly proc 12 seconds of cooldowns, then when fox drops you do fox again, then you melee and follow up again with another fox. So you can do 3 Fox's back to back 3 times within 1 duration of ghost.
    edited December 2013
    You guys do not understand how this works do you?

1 - I've known about this bug since PTR and reported it then.

2 - With GHOST Activated (ANY) At-Will attacks proc the Storm Step passive and reduces your cool down by 3 seconds. This is how I can preform (3) Full Fox attacks in succession or combo / stack other encounters over and over during ghost. This is not intended because all other daily's only trigger (1) 3 Second reduction.

The issue is GHOSTs (Passive Attack) is also accepting at-will attacks as a daily trigger. So if you have say 4 mobs (players) it will instantly proc 12 seconds of cooldowns, then when fox drops you do fox again, then you melee and follow up again with another fox. So you can do 3 Fox's back to back 3 times within 1 duration of ghost.

Ok i see what you mean if this is the case it should be fix it should not count at will attacks as one of its passive attacks in turn triggering Stormstep
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    ghost normal activation doeas nothing ( i tested it 10 min ago), if it was reported back then maybe it was repaired and now its working as it should, i tested it with forest meditation, and its working the same way as with the ghost: activation nothing happening, but evety tick it heal reduces cd by 3 sec
    edited December 2013
    ghost normal activation doeas nothing ( i tested it 10 min ago), if it was reported back then maybe it was repaired and now its working as it should, i tested it with forest meditation, and its working the same way as with the ghost: activation nothing happening, but evety tick it heal reduces cd by 3 sec

Correct Forest Mediation is not working as intended also. Also most bugs that get reported are not fixed for months down the road unless they are a very serious issue.

GWF Unstoppable bug took 6+ months before they fixed it, same with GF Knights Valor and many other class bugs. Enjoy the bug while you can as it will eventually be fixed. Also the GF Ferocious Reaction is still bugged since beta and why you'll see GF's suddenly go full HP.
    edited December 2013
    right now i wasnt using my at wills, and it was reducing cd the same way as mentioned earlier, so it is not a issue

@up
    or maybe this time bug fix will be only change of description in stormstep passive :)
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's funny that I don't even use this, yet I've still been doing very well in pvp.

Also, we can assume it's a flat out unintended bug. There is absolutely no way PWE intended HRs to be able to reset their encounters multiple times in one cast of Forest Ghost.
    edited December 2013
    It's funny that I don't even use this, yet I've still been doing very well in pvp.

Also, we can assume it's a flat out unintended bug. There is absolutely no way PWE intended HRs to be able to reset their encounters multiple times in one cast of Forest Ghost.

What I'm suspecting is that depending on how the daily is considered an "Activation" is what's causing the problem.

Ghost's activation trigger is a "Melee" attack

Meditations activation is the healing tick

Both of which are procing storm step more than once.
    edited December 2013
    What I'm suspecting is that depending on how the daily is considered an "Activation" is what's causing the problem.

Ghost's activation trigger is a "Melee" attack

Meditations activation is the healing tick

Both of which are procing storm step more than once.

Hold up the healing tick from Forest meditation is being considered a melee attack cuas it also procs master of combat dealing dmg to you while its healing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blitz609blitz609 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've been using this trick for a while in instances to do some major damage as a melee focused ranger. Basically stormstep action will activated once per second as long as you have an enemy in range, making your cooldowns about 75% of what they should be, definitely not instant. It should also be noted that stormstep action also reduces cooldowns on daily and items such as artifacts and works with every tick of forrest meditation. Granted things can still be on cooldown if you dont sit down for the whole forrest meditation. Saying all that it doesnt seem to be actually broken as I've still been out damaged by GWFs and rangers can die fairly easy in melee.
    edited December 2013
    So in turn then its not forest ghost that bugged its Storm step itself forest meditation is bugged its counting itself as a melee attack melee attacks also seem to prock storm step if your under the effect of a daily. So melee attack while under forest ghost stealth will trigger the SsA CD reduction Forest meditations healing ticks Are being treated as melee attack's thus triggering Stormstep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    Another funny thing about forrest meditation is sometimes I see Master of Combat proc from the healing effect but I have no idea what you're hitting when that happens.
    edited December 2013
    blitz609 wrote: »
    Another funny thing about forrest meditation is sometimes I see Master of Combat proc from the healing effect but I have no idea what you're hitting when that happens.

Yes Storm step seems to be bugging out when players use melee attacks while under the effects of a daily or during the activation. The healing Ticks from forest meditation are being counted as melee attacks. thats why its triggering SsA on you and why it damages you from thanks to master of combat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    It also appears that SSA cools down your invoke power as well so theres that.
    edited December 2013
    blitz609 wrote: »
    It also appears that SSA cools down your invoke power as well so theres that.

Now thats funny.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hmm that explains why I do so much invoking with my HR!
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    It's amazing how 'game mechanics' are transalted by some in a way that they seem fitting. There is only one thing that isn't working as intended in this combo (according to similar game mechanics) and this is the fact that the reduction happens multiple times even if there is only one target and even if you don't even attack it.

However the 'activation' works exactly like Supermacy of Steel+Steel Defense double 'activation' that procs a 10 second immunity. If this is also reported as a bug, then I stand corrected but the way the game works and the tooltips read:

1) Pop Forest ghost (3 sec cd reduction)
    2) Hit a target (3 sec cd reduction)
    3) Hit another target (3 sec cd reduction)
    and so on.

The only odd part is that you can have one target and your CDs will be reducing, probably the code has a problem identifying multiple activations of the daily for EACH target (the damage doesn't happen, but it seems that Ghost activates).

I know that it gets ugly if you add a P.Vorpal in the equation but really...it's a burst method similar to other burst potential of TR/CWs (especially when they get to activate their dailies). If they do fix it, I hope they do it correctly (reduction happening per target hit) rather than completely nerfing the only viable PvP tree for HR. Other than that potential, HR hasn't got any tricks up its sleeve, especially with MoA nerfed to oblivion.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
    edited December 2013
    Now your being thick headed storm step is the bugged feat not forest ghost storm step is bugging out when people use melee attacks during the activation of a daily power and while under the effects of a daily. Even on a single target forest ghost will refresh a skill bar as long as people at will from. So currently SsA is bugged stormstep also bugs with forest meditation cause the healing ticks are being considered melee attack how do i know there being considered melee attacks is because forest med proc's MoC on you and that's only procs on melee attacks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    Coincidentally forest ghost secondary mechanics is considered a melee attack as it procs MoC also so once they fix this Forest Ghost storm step combo will be no more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    Coincidentally forest ghost secondary mechanics is considered a melee attack as it procs MoC also so once they fix this Forest Ghost storm step combo will be no more.

Probably you didn't completely get my previous post, so I'll just say once more that they should fix it (it's obviously something wrong), but one should identify the part that needs fixing.

E.G If you Forest ghost while Fox is on full CD, then hitting 3 targets with Forest should fully recharge it. THIS should not happen if there is only one.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *